Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zii

Maybe he never has to do anything because he is simply much better at commanding a defence then De Gea?

JeffBoomTetris

Commanding and calming performance by Sergio except for when he came out of his line when our injured squad were already starting to celebrate:lol: He could have cost himself a clean sheet there

204Red

Happy for him

but I am confused as to why he never really stuck anywhere else (other than the Argentinian national side)... he would clearly be a better option for 2/3s of the clubs in England... and I can't believe there aren't top sides in Spain, France or Italy who wouldn't love to have a keeper of his ability.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Happy for him

but I am confused as to why he never really stuck anywhere else (other than the Argentinian national side)... he would clearly be a better option for 2/3s of the clubs in England... and I can't believe there aren't top sides in Spain, France or Italy who wouldn't love to have a keeper of his ability.

I think the stereotype on him is that as a number 1 he does too many crazy things. With more gametime and responsibilities as a 1 he normally makes mistakes but I mean in all his time here he's been almost flawless.

Where ever he is next season he should get the chance to play more.

AXVnee7

Didn't have to do much, however when called upon he did his job extremely well, as he has done all tournament. Well done to Jose for sticking with him, and now both reap the rewards. I think DDG will be genuinely happy for him as well. If DDG is off to Madrid then not playing tonight won't be a factor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Has he always been as comanding in the box, or is that something he has "learned" after he arrived in Manchester?
Everything about him has improved since his first year here imo. Definitely his positioning, distribution, and overall confidence.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'fDDG does go, can he make the step up and become the undisputed number 1?

3KDré

Everything about him has improved since his first year here imo. Definitely his positioning, distribution, and overall confidence.
He's also considerably bulked up by the looks of it.

Sylar

If DDG goes, id rather we just give him number 1 jersey and focus on other areas to improve on.

He looked like he was just chilling, even when the shots were coming at it (well both shots).

Ibi Dreams

If DDG goes, id rather we just give him number 1 jersey and focus on other areas to improve on.

He looked like he was just chilling, even when the shots were coming at it (well both shots).
To be fair he had nothing difficult to do all night, but you're right in saying that he looked very relaxed.

Still on the fence about him being number 1 if De Gea leaves. He's done a great job, but we don't know if he has it in him to do this well consistently over a full season. He's had a pretty weird career so far - been at a few not particularly great clubs and been a back up a fair bit of the time, yet somehow still the most capped keeper for Argentina ever and played for them in a World Cup final :lol:

el3mel

I just hope thos people who were moaning about DDG not starting every Europe League game as if it was a disaster understand now that Romero is trustful already and earned Jose's trust and should earn us too.

It's not a competition between him and David, but he did nothing to see people always complaining about David not starting ahead of him against Celta and Ajax.

Great keeper to have and I really love him as a second or first choice. I'm not afraid of David leaving tbh. Jose built a great defensive system and Romero can do the job pretty fine.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's had a really good season, did not think he had it in him and am glad to be proven wrong. Hasn't put a glove wrong when asked. My favourite thing about him is how casual he is with everything, every save is like he's down at the pub relaxing with a friend, cool as ice.

Jaybomb

He's brilliantly unspectacular.

His positioning is out of this world. Every save he makes, it's like he's at the right place at the right time, ready to just take it in his stride. He is a more than capable #1 if De Gea leaves (which I happen to think is a load of paper/media rubbish to be honest)

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He has such a calming presence at the back. I hope we don't spend stupid money on a keeper if DDG leaves, Romero deserves his chance.

suheilsworld

Love him to bits! As highlighted by many, I would to see him as no.1 next year if DDG leaves. Having Jose who desires a good backline also helps for the GK playing behind them. I want us to take a punt on him next season

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is there a better gettable option out there? Maybe K Navas?
I don't think that Navas would suit the Prem very well. He's very similar to Bravo in terms of style, and the same height too. He's also over 30 (age tends to affect shorter goalkeepers more).

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Never truly tested last night but had an air of authority in everything he did and inspired confidence.

If we end up with him in goal next season and a load of money from selling DDG, I'll look forward to it. If both he and DDG stay... well, we're just being greedy!

We need an rvn

Happy for the guy and he's proven me wrong with my doubts for sure!

But come the 1st clanger next season, this page will be full of "why the feck didn't we buy a replacement for DDG" though

He has such a calming presence at the back. I hope we don't spend stupid money on a keeper if DDG leaves, Romero deserves his chance.
He does. Its hard to know how he would perform for a prolonged period in the league, he has so little to do in most cup games (partly through his own defensive organisation and excellent positioning) but he's earned the chance to try for sure. Even if DDG does stay he should be given some games.

Hopefully as long as he is winning things and playing all the cup games he will be happy to stay as our second keeper.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
It's always funny when you remember, this guy has played in more major finals than 99% of keepers can even dream of. How he's so chill in his position with us I would never know, but I'm glad for it.

itso 7

I think we have to appreciate the change in our circumstances, our defense gives nothing away and we don't concede that many shots on target like we used to when De Gea saved Van Gaal's ass back in the day. In that vein I think Romero is good enough to be number one for a couple of seasons while we raise the overall quality of the side to bring closer to CL winning capability.
If Real pay good money for De Gea we ought to invest in it attack by signing a young attacking talent on the crusp of great things like the ones City got with Sane and Jesus. I think that will be better use than denying Romero the chance his performances have earned him.

Marcelinho87

Maybe he never has to do anything because he is simply much better at commanding a defence then De Gea?
I think there is something in this.

My only issues with De Gea are his command of the area and his unwillingness to run out for balls when a defender is shielding it to him.

dogwithabone

Romero is very unfussy as a keeper. Hes certainly not one to go leaping about for the cameras if he can just stand there and deal with it. Liked that one last night in the first half when one of their players stung his hands from the angle of the box but Romero just nonchantly took the sting out of it and palmed it up on one hand as if to say 'whats the fuss'.....

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
If he doesn't get the #1 spot if De Gea leaves, it sends a pretty poor message to the squad players.

"No matter how good you perform, you'll never really get a first team spot."

We can't have asked anymore of Romero, and he deserves this opportunity if the spot opens up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I hope he didn't waste his finest bag of coke before that game... had nothing to do at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.