Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

I could be wrong but I think at his past two clubs he was the No 2 as well which makes me wonder.
De Gea has been great for us but do we really miss him that much when we have Romero and Henderson as options and we would save a fortune in wages.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
And the fact that he’s never held the club hostage or even so much as complained makes him all the more likeable
He’s our #1 keeper currently and it is not even particularly close. Romero and Henderson is the future.

The problem is we are burdened with De Gea on ludicrous wages unless another oligarch arrives and needs to make a statement signing. Nobody else would consider paying him what we do.
Agreed. We struggle with an inflated wage bill, which i suspect is a key reason to why we are so slow with new signings. De Gea is currently our higest earner (besides Sanchez?) at 350,000£/week, and hes simply not worth that kind of money.

I have nothing against De Gea, but i think we would be wise to move him on while his stock is still high and we can do just fine with Henderson/Romero next year. In fact, Henderson might be a better keeper already

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Agreed. We struggle with an inflated wage bill, which i suspect is a key reason to why we are so slow with new signings. De Gea is currently our higest earner (besides Sanchez?) at 350,000£/week, and hes simply not worth that kind of money.

I have nothing against De Gea, but i think we would be wise to move him on while his stock is still high and we can do just fine with Henderson/Romero next year. In fact, Henderson might be a better keeper already
This. He was never worth the package he is on -- no goalie is. It's another Sanchez problem -- how do we move him on when he is on such a huge package in a couple of season's time?

Was just stupid to have been blackmailed into signing him onto the lastest contract -- and limiting our future signings as it fecks up the wage structure. Strikers have always been paid the most since getting goals is the most difficult job in football.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
A 33 year old goalkeeper that has played 7 league games in the last 7 seasons is the future?

People always massively overrate Romero because he only players against teams that are a league or more below us.
As opposed to the likes of the mighty Watford and Crystal Palace who De Gea has been fumbling the ball in against all season.

It's a fair point but this also means Romero never gets to play with our first choice defenders either.

Also, Romero played against a full strength Wolves team two weeks ago, which meant coming up against Adama Traore and Raul Jimenez, possibly the form forward line in the country right now, and, you've guessed it, clean sheet.

By the way, I'm not proclaiming Romero to be that great, I just think having a proactive and commanding keeper highlights how much better our whole defence could be without De Gea.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Yeh. Maybe I just want to see some changes. I kind of frustrated with DDG.
Always wonder of why Romero never get a decent run in the League. For instance, at home game against weaker team.
Because De Gea is better and is the nr. 1. We beat Norwich 4-0 in the league and the first thought isn't to bump the De Gea thread like Romero does when we beat fecking Tranmere. There's a reason De Gea gets paid the big bucks, why the club has done everything to keep him and there's a reason why Romero hasn't played first team football for 7 years.

I like Romero as a backup goalkeeper because he seems to have the correct mentality for it. It can't be easy to train just as much as everyone else knowing that you won't play but something just might happen so you've got to be ready physically and mentally. It takes a special kind of person to do that for so long. Playing as the first team goalkeeper for Manchester United is a different task mentally. We've had good keepers who looked much worse with us than everywhere else in their career simply because the pressure was too much (Howard, Foster).

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Because De Gea is better and is the nr. 1. We beat Norwich 4-0 in the league and the first thought isn't to bump the De Gea thread like Romero does when we beat fecking Tranmere. There's a reason De Gea gets paid the big bucks, why the club has done everything to keep him and there's a reason why Romero hasn't played first team football for 7 years.

I like Romero as a backup goalkeeper because he seems to have the correct mentality for it. It can't be easy to train just as much as everyone else knowing that you won't play but something just might happen so you've got to be ready physically and mentally. It takes a special kind of person to do that for so long. Playing as the first team goalkeeper for Manchester United is a different task mentally. We've had good keepers who looked much worse with us than everywhere else in their career simply because the pressure was too much (Howard, Foster).
Indeed, the main one being that whoever is in charge of our recruitment/contract negotiations is clearly out of their depth.

Snow

Indeed, the main one being that whoever is in charge of our recruitment/contract negotiations is clearly out of their depth.
Best United player for the club and the best goalkeeper in the league 5 years in a row. One of the best clubs in the world that lured Ronaldo from us wanted him for many years. Lets just get rid of that.

Red_toad

Best United player for the club and the best goalkeeper in the league 5 years in a row. One of the best clubs in the world that lured Ronaldo from us wanted him for many years. Lets just get rid of that.
Had it not been for the fax machine he’d have been long gone. Much like his world class performances, he’s been a big step down since the last World Cup.

Snow

Had it not been for the fax machine he’d have been long gone. Much like his world class performances, he’s been a big step down since the last World Cup.
If you believe that to be true you are welcome to.

Player doesn't perform at a world class level for 6-7 years straight. Sell him...

He's one of three players in our squad that has shown he's capable of playing at a world class level. The other 2 are Sanchez and Pogba, neither of whom has done so in the United shirt.

This is the Romero thread and it's getting derailed.

RUCK4444

Maybe he’s not very materialistic? Who knows and lord knows why footballers need massively expensive cars to drive around in.
Dude if I was a footballer I wouldn’t buy houses, i would buy an aircraft hanger and FILL it with cars.

To some it represents what they couldn’t have and others just love their motors.

Red_toad

Dude if I was a footballer I wouldn’t buy houses, i would buy an aircraft hanger and FILL it with cars.

To some it represents what they couldn’t have and others just love their motors.
To some it represents a bunch of people who have more money than common sense. Good on Sergio for not being a sheep. I hope he does better things with his money other than horde it or waste it on meaningless crap.

RUCK4444

To some it represents a bunch of people who have more money than common sense. Good on Sergio for not being a sheep. I hope he does better things with his money other than horde it or waste it on meaningless crap.
I’ve found that first sentence to be rooted in jealousy more than anything else.

Most people like nice cars, to many it represents the hard work and can actually be a life goal.
For example I started work super young so I could afford a Citroen Saxo :lol:
It’s the same but on a bigger scale, I still use cars as life goals.

Red_toad

I’ve found that first sentence to be rooted in jealousy more than anything else.

Most people like nice cars, to many it represents the hard work and can actually be a life goal.
For example I started work super young so I could afford a Citroen Saxo :lol:
It’s the same but on a bigger scale, I still use cars as life goals.
Eh? Why would I be jealous of someone else’s car? What a silly thing to post, rooted in jealously my arse. Having an opinion that there are better things that people could spend their money on than a car isn’t due to any form of jealousy.

RUCK4444

Eh? Why would I be jealous of someone else’s car? What a silly thing to post, rooted in jealously my arse. Having an opinion that there are better things that people could spend their money on than a car isn’t due to any form of jealousy.
Not saying you are jealous yourself, just pointing out that most people who claim it's pointless to buy a super nice car usually just resent the fact the person in question has one.

I mean, you could claim anything is pointless to buy because people spend their money according to personal preference. What you might want to buy may be 'pointless or stupid' to the next guy.

Personally if I was on these guys wages I would own at least 5 cars. Minimum. Some of the top end cars actually hold their value better than mid range cars.

I happen to know that a certain Tom Huddleston has made money on every G-Wagon he's sold on.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Matter of opinion, for me, he's gone from massively overrated to now just an outright liability.

If you genuinely think that making David De Gea the highest paid player in premier league was a shrewd investment then you're part of the problem.

Snow

Matter of opinion, for me, he's gone from massively overrated to now just an outright liability.

If you genuinely think that making David De Gea the highest paid player in premier league was a shrewd investment then you're part of the problem.
I didn't say that but thank you for twisting my words to make your own agenda sound better.

Being the highest paid is relative to when you sign the contract and the contracts are more complicated than the base pay that's reported. De Gea doesn't get nearly the same amount of bonuses as a striker. Especially if he doesn't keep clean sheets. When the next big player signs an extention he'll become the highest paid player and so on. You're not going to compare what Rasford earns to what Beckham earned at 22 are you?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I didn't say that but thank you for twisting my words to make your own agenda sound better.

Being the highest paid is relative to when you sign the contract and the contracts are more complicated than the base pay that's reported. De Gea doesn't get nearly the same amount of bonuses as a striker. Especially if he doesn't keep clean sheets. When the next big player signs an extention he'll become the highest paid player and so on. You're not going to compare what Rasford earns to what Beckham earned at 22 are you?
I understand the concept of inflation and it's not relevant here.

Some contemporary comparisons:

Marc Andre Ter Stegen, £150,000 a week.

Alisson Becker, £90,000 a week.

Ederson, £65,000 a week.

David De Gea £375,000 a week.

It was a ridiculous contract, end of, it's hardly an agenda if you're simply stating a fact.

Last edited:

Welbeckham

I understand the concept of inflation and it's not relevant here.

Some contemporary comparisons:

Mar Andre Ter Stegen, £150,000 a week.

Alisson Becker, £90,000 a week.

Ederson, £65,000 a week.

David De Gea £375,000 a week.

It was a ridiculous contract, end of, it's hardly an agenda if you're simply stating a fact.
The worst part of that is that all three of those contemporaries are much better than De Gea, and have been for the last few years.

Brugge 1:1 Man Utd

kundalini

Horrible error for their goal. Invited the lob by coming out when he could have retreated. Apart from that did ok, a couple of near post saves and one sweeper keeper after Maguire decided not to jump for a header. Couldn't deal with Maguire's poor backpass near the end.

RedDevilRoshi

Apart from their goal which I have no idea what was running through his mind, he was ok tonight. Made some crucial when called upon,

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
That would be the norm if he started every match. When he was regular for Argentina iirc he always looked like he didn't believe in himself.

Nevertheless, he did well for the rest of their shots.

Classical Mechanic

Horrible error for their goal. Invited the lob by coming out when he could have retreated. Apart from that did ok, a couple of near post saves and one sweeper keeper after Maguire decided not to jump for a header. Couldn't deal with Maguire's poor backpass near the end.
I was thinking that he gave bad calls on both the goal and that incident because non of the defenders seemed to attack the ball on both occasions whilst he was running out of his goal.

Looked like he had no idea what his defenders were going to do, not sure if that was his fault or theirs.

The goal was the worst but a few times he got caught out with it.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Got that one wrong, no doubt, but even if he hadn't have come charging out then it was still a one v one with the striker anyway, so either way it was a great chance for Dennis.

It's a matter of opinion, but, in the modern game I'd take a keeper who's proactive at coming out off his line any day of the week over De Gea, who is the least assertive keeper on the planet (watch Jordan Ayew's goal for Crystal Palace against us earlier this season as an example of what I mean).

mu4c_20le

He always looks up for it, thats what makes him such a great backup.

Shimo

Useless - could have just let Rooney score. Sell him. No white text.

Oh and still can't believe this guy is a backup and happy to be here. He'd could be a starter for any really good side.

GMoore23

De Gea - 31 games - 9 clean sheets
Romero - 13 games - 9 clean sheets

De Gea has been starting on reputation alone. He's been absolute dog crap for 18 months and cost us top 4 last season. We'll never see him back to his best if Ole refuses to drop him. Look what healthy competion has done for Shaw.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
People would have been wetting themselves about that save from Rooney if it had of been De Gea.

Although, I guarantee it wouldn't have happened anyway as De Gea would probably have done his usual trick of standing there watching the ball fly past him (only made more infuriating when followed by the obligatory "De Gea had no chance of getting near that" remark from the commentators).

Well done Sergio, you should be starting but unfortunately for you it probably won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.