Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Norwich 1:2 Man Utd

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I really love watching Romero play. He gives me the that leadership goalkeeper at the back feeling we had during the Van Der Sar period even if he isnt as good or consistent.

I didn't think the goal today could be saved by even the best goalkeepers nevermind an experienced one who would have to dive to the widest and lowest point of the goal.

The shot was swerving away, fast and felt Maguire was blocking the view of it a bit.

I absolutely loved the diving save he did to get a hand to an outward cross in to the box. Was beautiful to see.

Falcow

Never ceases to amaze me the free pass this guy gets on the caf. Cost us today, never quite makes a howler in fairness but concedes so many goals he just shouldnt.

We need a better number 2.

Never ceases to amaze me the free pass this guy gets on the caf. Cost us today, never quite makes a howler in fairness but concedes so many goals he just shouldnt.

What?? I agree he should've done better today, but you're insane you think we could find a better number 2 (barring Henderson whose loan is great experience). He's up there with the best backups in the world, can't believe he's stayed here instead of starting somewhere else. Barely conceded a goal this season, was poor on that goal away at Brugge I'll give you that.

Falcow

What?? I agree he should've done better today, but you're insane you think we could find a better number 2 (barring Henderson whose loan is great experience). He's up there with the best backups in the world, can't believe he's stayed here instead of starting somewhere else. Barely conceded a goal this season, was poor on that goal away at Brugge I'll give you that.
Cost us in the FA cup last season as well. Your number 2 should be capable of being your number 1....he isn't.

He stays cos we pay more than he would earn as a number 1 elsewhere.

Morpheus 7

De Gea would be destroyed if he let that in. Romero is a good number two but he plays against poor opposition in cups, his stats are deceiving. Good backup but wouldn't drop De Gea just yet.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Name me a better number 2 in world football at the moment?

Falcow

Name me a better number 2 in world football at the moment?
Given that I'd struggle to name another number 2 in the premership let alone anywhere else, I would probably struggle with that one.....Darren Randolph at West Ham actually, I know that one as he plays in nets for ireland, I'd honestly take him ahead of Romero, nothing personal but I just dont think he is very good.

Kag

Given that I'd struggle to name another number 2 in the premership let alone anywhere else, I would probably struggle with that one.....Darren Randolph at West Ham actually, I know that one as he plays in nets for ireland, I'd honestly take him ahead of Romero, nothing personal but I just dont think he is very good.
:lol: Lovely contribution.

acnumber9

He’s as good a number two as you’ll get but he wasn’t good enough to be Sampdoria’s number one when we signed him and isn’t good enough to be United’s number one now.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Haha, Darren Randolph better than an Argentine number one with almost 100 caps who has played in a World Cup final. Love it :D

acnumber9

I didn't think the goal today could be saved by even the best goalkeepers nevermind an experienced one who would have to dive to the widest and lowest point of the goal.
He went down slower than a tree being felled and wasn’t even at full stretch. Plenty of keepers stop that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think a top class keeper saves that... But then he is a number 2,and as a number 2 he's doing a perfect job.

Good handling all other times though.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Your number 2 should be capable of being your number 1....he isn't.
There isn't a club in the world in this position. Certainly not a top club anyway. Infact, we are probably closest to that position than anyone. As well as Real Madrid, as Areola is a solid deputy to Courtois. Maybe Barca too, Neto is good, but Ter Stegen is among the best in the world so there is a big gap between them. Romero is around the same level as Areola and Neto.

Romero's a decent keeper. I think we overrated him a bit, but he's solid. There are plenty of keepers better than him, but there's hardly any #2's better.

Kag

Well my poor knowledge of number 2's doesnt make Romero any better unfortunately.

I remember Van Der Gouw. Now he was a great number two.
It renders your view as irrelevant, though. Romero is a good #2, that’s certain. He should have done better today, mind you.

wythyred

I don’t seen any need to critique him for not saving that shot.

His view was impaired by our defence and also the sunlight.

He’s a great numbe two and I have no doubt if we needed him to be our main man in the event of injury.

Red00012

He’s probably going stiff year after year playing 10 games every 12 months and watching 50K go into his bank account on a weekly basis.

Falcow

Haha, Darren Randolph better than an Argentine number one with almost 100 caps who has played in a World Cup final. Love it :D
Great international career to be fair to him but he played for AZ and Sampdoria who were in seria b at the time I think and ended up.on loan at Monaco. There is probably good reason why he never made it as a number 1 at top or even mid level European team.

If you strike it low either side of him you have a great chance of scoring, as it takes him an age to get down. Everytime he concedes a goal for us I'm always thinking he should have stopped that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He went down slower than a tree being felled and wasn’t even at full stretch. Plenty of keepers stop that.
Yeah. 100%.

Romero gets a lot of love from United fans. Unpopular opinion: he's pretty average, at best.

When Van Gaal dropped DeGea at the start of 2015-16 Romero came in and was cak.

People tend to boost him up off the back of clean sheets gained against lower league teams or Europa League unknowns. He's never shown he's capable of doing it in the high pressure matches.

Another one on big wages without reason.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’s a fine number 2. He is what he is and generally does as good a job as you expect from a number 2.

Our fanbase has a bizarre obsession with massively overrating him though. He’s nowhere near as good as even a poor De Gea, and obviously shouldn’t be our number 1. Nor could he walk into every club as a starter outside the top 4 which everyone loves to claim.

The United

Yeah. 100%.

Romero gets a lot of love from United fans. Unpopular opinion: he's pretty average, at best.

When Van Gaal dropped DeGea at the start of 2015-16 Romero came in and was cak.

People tend to boost him up off the back of clean sheets gained against lower league teams or Europa League unknowns. He's never shown he's capable of doing it in the high pressure matches.

Another one on big wages without reason.
How much are we paying?

It's ridiculous that united fans are giving some love to their players. I would rather underrate them and bash them to show that I am not biased as a united fan.

I think a top class keeper saves that... But then he is a number 2,and as a number 2 he's doing a perfect job.

Good handling all other times though.
exactly. it’s crazy people are bashing our no. 2. He doesn’t complain, and he’s been a very solid backup for about 5 years. It’s a good balance, you don’t want someone who is not good enough, and not someone who is too good who Moves on to be a first team player.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure how much the goal was his fault, but DDG would have been salughtered for letting it in.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Goal was very similar to the batshuayi goal he conceded against Chelsea, just doesn't look like a shot a keeper should be letting in

FerociousCorgis

Think the issue is he gets no lift/push off getting out to the ball on the goal. Announcers did a good job talking about how he just kind of falls to that side. Not much explosion to really get extended. No doubt though ddg would get criticized for letting that in though by most people

izec

Was a mistake IMO.

But i always said he isn't a number 1, only short term for a few games, but not one for the season

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I actually thought Krul for our first was just as bad... I mean the ball is looping in the air and he's just rooted to his goal line? What's that about.

Ace of Spades

He should have done better for the goal, but that just shows that he is not good enough to be first choice keeper. As a second choice he is fine.

youngrell

Looked like a shot that should’ve been saved but I think he saw it late as it bent around Maguire so will give home the benefit of doubt.

Was his usual solid self other than that. Typical of fans to come in with pitch forks right away.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t seen any need to critique him for not saving that shot.

His view was impaired by our defence and also the sunlight.

He’s a great numbe two and I have no doubt if we needed him to be our main man in the event of injury.
That's what I thought- it genuinely looked like Maguire got in his way.

People acting like it was an easy save though - that would have been a save of the season or month type of save.

Absolutely loved watching that.

jeff_goldblum

If he'd managed to make that save having seen it so late it would have been spectacular - like DDG at his best. It was by no means a simple save. Maybe De Gea would have saved it but there we a moment later in the game where Romero rushed out to punch the ball off a striker's foot and in that sort of situation De Gea would have been rooted to his line and conceded a shot/goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.