Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not sure how you bring him in for the last 2 league games without making it obvious to the world that De Gea's days are numbered but he (Romero) damn well better keep his place in the remaining EL games

Sylar

Hes unlucky to have not played. Really think we should have kept the cup keeper for the cup game. He deserved that imo.

Grande

I’m pretty convinced De Gea would have kept a clean sheet tonight. The strike was sweet, curled the right way, but not very fast. If you noticed the footwork in the two seconds before the shot, De Gea would have made it look like a not so special save by being there already.

I’m pretty convinced De Gea would have kept a clean sheet tonight. The strike was sweet, curled the right way, but not very fast. If you noticed the footwork in the two seconds before the shot, De Gea would have made it look like a not so special save by being there already.
De Gea would’ve probably punched it into his own net.
I’d wait to hope DDG gets back into any kind of form before claiming he’d ever keep a clean sheet.

Grande

De Gea would’ve probably punched it into his own net.
I’d wait to hope DDG gets back into any kind of form before claiming he’d ever keep a clean sheet.
Now you’re just rambling for the sake of it. De Gea has made a lot of clean sheets this year alone, and his footwork for 99 % of shots has been impeccable. I’m not arguing he has been at his beat or that he hasn’t made errors, but this game was a typical zero against for him still.

paulscholes18

Had a good game, liked how quickly he released the ball.
How people can say DDG would save that I have no idea, especially after the Mason Mount goal

UncleBob

It's a good shot, by all means, but Romero just falls over without ever getting close to it.

Dan_F

Had a good game, liked how quickly he released the ball.
How people can say DDG would save that I have no idea, especially after the Mason Mount goal
Because those kind of saves have been a regular occurrence, even through the bad form.

Tonight showed exactly what Romero is. A solid keeper, who won’t gain you any points with spectacular saves, but is generally pretty reliable.

AaronRedDevil

Because those kind of saves have been a regular occurrence, even through the bad form.

Tonight showed exactly what Romero is. A solid keeper, who won’t gain you any points with spectacular saves, but is generally pretty reliable.
He gained us a EL trophy once....He does make spectacular saves. Only doesnt happen that much because he doesn't play at all.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Made some good stops, but looked unconvincing for the goal. Maybe he knew he wasn't going to get near it anyway, but he didn't even try. His feet don't even leave the ground when he dives.

Not sure who I'd prefer to take on the rest of the EL stages between him and De Gea.

DeGea

Nice article on United's website. Interesting read, not only about Romero, but Richard Hartis' general comments on aspects of the game.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/ever-ready-rock-steady-sergio-romero-feature

Sounds like there is a lot of thinking and understanding of the game that is required for footballers at this level. Which is why probably players who rely on skills alone without "studying the game" don't make it very far.

Hartis sounds like a very insightful coach.

Levenstein

I guess he should've saved the goal too. Problem was that he didn't jump. Should've pushed himself off the ground with his left foot and gotten much much closer to the ball. Maybe didn't see shot soon enough or thought it is going wide, but still poor situation handling. Commanding his box better than De Gea though.

Man Utd 1:0 FC Copenhagen

Web of Bissaka

And another Clean fecking sheeet!!

:devil: CS Serge Rom.

Anyone else felt comfortable with him than with De Gea?
Maybe the players especially the defenders also felt that way. That's the impression I got from this game. Even when Copenhagen threaten always, I felt assure that Romero won't make mistakes, so it's only down to poor defending or good quality of attack/shooting by opposing team. Our defense did enough and Copenhagen lacked the individual quality that we have.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He is the most chill player I've ever seen. The mix up with Bailly et al early in the match last night where they should have scored, he barely even moved. It's incredible.

No idea if he's a good keeper, I just salute his resting heart rate.

Giggsyking

I feel sorry for him, the spineless manager took his place to give it the other coward keeper. If he wants to leave, nobody can blame him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Must be pretty demoralising to know you're the cup keeper but only the cup keeper until it gets to the business end

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Must be pretty demoralising to know you're the cup keeper but only the cup keeper until it gets to the business end
Agreed. How would Ole feel, if he's done a fabulous job with rebuilding; then when everything settle, Glazers decides to hire Zidane?

I mean, the guy had played in WC Final. So mentally, he's ready at high-pressure games.

kundalini

5 goals conceded in 17 starts this season. Out-performed De Gea by a huge margin yet dropped for every semi-final.

Made a few errors, a few fantastic saves, caught some crosses, some strange long passes to no-one.

Surely he's good enough to be a starter for a team in one of the big 5 European leagues.

criticalanalysis

Could this be a sign of Romero's status/place in the squad if Henderson returns with us next year?

Incredible harsh but it is what it is.

RonaldoVII

I feel sorry for him, the spineless manager took his place to give it the other coward keeper. If he wants to leave, nobody can blame him.
Would anyone really care either? He's backup goalkeeper and been happy in that role for years. If he's no longer happy then he can get a move and we'll get someone else in but nobody will devastated.

Giggsyking

Would anyone really care either? He's backup goalkeeper and been happy in that role for years. If he's no longer happy then he can get a move and we'll get someone else in but nobody will devastated.
Maybe not, but seeing De Gea with the worst form in 3 season in a raw yet still takes his place in the competition that he is supposed to play. The same in the FA cup. Ole took his place to give to De Gea who gave Chelsea 2 goals and ruined the game for us.

UnitedFan93

Should of played tonight, I might be in the minority but prefer Romero to De Gea. I don't get this nonsense that De Gea is a much better keeper; he's not. I think Romero is a much more rounded keeper than De Gea, and definitely should of started.

RonaldoVII

Maybe not, but seeing De Gea with the worst form in 3 season in a raw yet still takes his place in the competition that he is supposed to play. The same in the FA cup. Ole took his place to give to De Gea who gave Chelsea 2 goals and ruined the game for us.
There is no "supposed to play". Romero plays the games where we can afford to rest some players. De Gea plays in the key games as he's our number 1. Unless De Gea is actually dropped, it'll not change. We don't have a league goalkeeper and a cup goalkeeper.

Giggsyking

There is no "supposed to play". Romero plays the games where we can afford to rest some players. De Gea plays in the key games as he's our number 1. Unless De Gea is actually dropped, it'll not change. We don't have a league goalkeeper and a cup goalkeeper.
Based on what? If he is our number one because he has it in his contract, fine, cant do anything about it. But if it is based on performance of the last three seasons, then no, De gea should not start for man utd.

RonaldoVII

Based on what? If he is our number one because he has it in his contract, fine, cant do anything about it. But if it is based on performance of the last three seasons, then no, De gea should not start for man utd.
Last 2 seasons, let's not over exaggerate. The manager clearly thinks that De Gea is still better than Romero. If Romero wants to be 1st choice then prove he's up to it or leave. I'm not going to feel sorry for him when it's been his choice to sit on the bench playing in small games for however many seasons.

Web of Bissaka

If we only look at the games vs top teams.

De Gea (EL and cups)
  • FA Cup SF 19/20 | Lost 1-3 Chelsea
  • EFL Cup SF2 19/20 | Won 1-0 City
  • EFL Cup SF1 19/20 | Lost 3-1 City
  • FA Cup Final 17/18 | Lost 0-1 Chelsea
  • FA Cup SF 17/18 | Won 2-1 Spurs
  • FA Cup 16/17 | Lost 0-1 Chelsea
  • EFL Cup 16/17 | Won 1-0 City
  • EL 15/16 | Lost 0-2 Liverpool
  • EL 15/16 | Drew 1-1 Liverpool
^ If we include CL, then his record will look a lot worse.
Only included up until 15/16, the time Romero first joined so the teammates they played with are similar.

Romero (all competitions)
  • EFL Cup 19/20 | Won 2-1 Chelsea
  • FA Cup 18/19 | Won 3-1 Arsenal
  • FA Cup 18/19 | Won 2-0 Chelsea
  • EL Final 16/17 | Won 2-0 Ajax
  • PL 15/16 | Won 1-0 Spurs
That's a creepy stat.
The scoreline margin might suggest the games we won is more likely meant we won it comfortably with Romero than with De Gea.
We also know Romero's impressive good records in EL, FA Cup and EFL Cup against the rest of the mid-table and weak teams.

Giggsyking

Last 2 seasons, let's not over exaggerate. The manager clearly thinks that De Gea is still better than Romero. If Romero wants to be 1st choice then prove he's up to it or leave. I'm not going to feel sorry for him when it's been his choice to sit on the bench playing in small games for however many seasons.
Yes, he wants to leave. Exactly what I said two days ago, he wont be happy by taking his spot and giving it to the failing goalkeeper who is only playing because he is payed 380k per week.

Sergio not happy by putting him on the bench in the semifinal, he is open to leaving the club.

RonaldoVII

Yes, he wants to leave. Exactly what I said two days ago, he wont be happy by taking his spot and giving it to the failing goalkeeper who is only playing because he is payed 380k per week.

Sergio not happy by putting him on the bench in the semifinal, he is open to leaving the club.
He's not going to be number 1 ever so is anyone fussed? The league cup and early rounds of the FA Cup he'd play next season we could fielded anyone.

sp_107

Do you sell Henderson for 50M and use that money on other areas OR you sell Romero for around 10M and keep Henderson as a backup keeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.