Position: Goalkeeper
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Stellar Football Ltd
Contract until: 30.06.2021
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Jul 16, 2017
Outfitter: adidas​

Last edited:
If Henderson comes back, then he will need to be sold.

Personally I would loan Henderson again and keep Romero for another season as no 2.

He’s obviously very happy with his role at the club. Good professional.

peridigm

With Henderson signing a new deal and it being confirmed he’s staying, Romero will be sold. Any credible links other than the Chelsea loan?

Tiber

Maybe Henderson will be loaned for another year
No way they give pay him 120k to play some for someone else.

Its time for Romero to move on. Its weird that he has wasted so many of the prime years of his career sitting on the bench, doesnt he want to be a starter?

sillwuka

Would be great if Romero can find a first team spot for another Premier league team. We can only wish him the best after he's helped us win the Europa and been a very reliable backup.

Bwuk

Been a brilliant keeper when he’s been relied upon.

Irrational.

It was a shitty move dropping him for the Europa League semi. He's been incredibly reliable and consistent when called upon. Hope he succeeds massively at Villa or wherever he ends up.

sillwuka

I think dropping him for the Semi against Sevilla was the final straw, so much disrespect shown considering how professional he has been since he signed.

Good luck to Romero and the positive is that he could nail down a first team spot at Villa, i hope that Heaton doesn't play ahead of him.

It was a shitty move dropping him for the Europa League semi. He's been incredibly reliable and consistent when called upon. Hope he succeeds massively at Villa or wherever he ends up.
I disagree. Personally, I think you should play your best keeper in a game like that. Jose did things differently, but it was the right decision by OGS.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd honestly rather keep him than having both De Gea and Henderson next season

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think dropping him for the Semi against Sevilla was the final straw, so much disrespect shown considering how professional he has been since he signed.

Good luck to Romero and the positive is that he could nail down a first team spot at Villa, i hope that Heaton doesn't play ahead of him.
It's not disrespectful to drop our #2 for our #1 if the manager believed it would've helped us. It's so weird people want to give our manager shit for picking his strongest possible team when we weren't in any other competition.

Adamsk7

I really like Romero, think he’s a good keeper. We’ve got to test Henderson though so I am ok with him leaving. £8m is not bad money either considering he only has a year left and is approaching his mid thirties (not old for a keeper though I guess). Hopefully he gets to be number one and enjoys the rest of his career.

let’s invest that £8m wisely.

sillwuka

It's not disrespectful to drop our #2 for our #1 if the manager believed it would've helped us. It's so weird people want to give our manager shit for picking his strongest possible team when we weren't in any other competition.
Romero has never let us down in the Europa League, has actually lifted the trophy before for us so I find it strange that Ole disregards that and essentially drops our cup keeper.

De Gea is the better keeper I admit that but he dropped a very poor performance against Chelsea and therefore Romero should have been given the chance. I stand by that.

We lose with Romero in net? Nobody questions it. We ended up losing with David in goal and both him and Ole face a backlash over it. Odd decision in my opinion.

ivaldo

Romero has never let us down in the Europa League, has actually lifted the trophy before for us so I find it strange that Ole disregards that and essentially drops our cup keeper.

De Gea is the better keeper I admit that but he dropped a very poor performance against Chelsea and therefore Romero should have been given the chance. I stand by that.

We lose with Romero in net? Nobody questions it. We ended up losing with David in goal and both him and Ole face a backlash over it. Odd decision in my opinion.
That's not how football works though. You don't do players favours, or make decisions based on emotional attachment. Ole is charged with transforming this team into a title winning side. There's no place for it on the pitch.

We lost with DDG in the net and no one questioned it. Conversely, if we lost and we didn't have our best players on the pitch, questions would be asked.

sillwuka

That's not how football works though. You don't do players favours, or make decisions based on emotional attachment. Ole is charged with transforming this team into a title winning side. There's no place for it on the pitch.

We lost with DDG in the net and no one questioned it. Conversely, if we lost and we didn't have our best players on the pitch, questions would be asked.
The decision to play Romero would have been based on past performances in said competition, nothing to do with sentimentality.

David lost us the game against Chelsea in a huge semi final that could have saw us win silverware. Ole didn't need to fix something that wasn't broke in the Europa League.

charlenefan

Because De Gea's only worth keeping around if he gets his shit together and I don't see Henderson ever being good enough to be number 1 and he doesn't want to be a number 2

I've said all summer we should have looked to sell both De Gea and Henderson and bring in someone new as number 1. Easier said than done obviously

Red00012

Because De Gea's only worth keeping around if he gets his shit together and I don't see Henderson ever being good enough to be number 1 and he doesn't want to be a number 2

I've said all summer we should have looked to sell both De Gea and Henderson and bring in someone new as number 1. Easier said than done obviously
Romero isn’t good enough to be number 1.

There’s no one taking DDG on those wages and Henderson is the future no 1 club and country.
Not the finished article at the moment but hopefully last season will help him.

charlenefan

Romero isn’t good enough to be number 1.

There’s no one taking DDG on those wages and Henderson is the future no 1 club and country.
Not the finished article at the moment but hopefully last season will help him.
Never said Romero was good enough to be number 1 did I? He's not, what he is though is the best number 2 in the world

As for Henderson I'm not convinced, at all

edcunited1878

Never said Romero was good enough to be number 1 did I? He's not, what he is though is the best number 2 in the world

As for Henderson I'm not convinced, at all
Well United don't need a true world class GK to win trophies. It helps, but at the end of the end, they need to be reliable. Kasper Schmeichel won the league, he's probably not as good as DDG. Didn't Joe Hart win the league with City? Henderson is more aggressive to claim high balls, tries to collect aerial cross or punches more than DDG at least from his time with Sheffield. Not exactly sure about his ground passing or touch when passing the ball around the back, so that'll be interesting to monitor.

Pretty much what I"m trying to say is that you don't need a Neuer to win major trophies. You just need to be reliable and solid and play to your strengths for the team. GKs will make some mistakes and make some incredible saves throughout the year. I don't think Henderson is going to be Karius, but don't think he'll be Allison either. Henderson deserves his legitimate chance within the next couple of years. United number 1 and England number 1...that sounds good, but he should be and probably will be good too. At least way better than Pickford.

ivaldo

The decision to play Romero would have been based on past performances in said competition, nothing to do with sentimentality.

David lost us the game against Chelsea in a huge semi final that could have saw us win silverware. Ole didn't need to fix something that wasn't broke in the Europa League.
Well of course it is. You've already said yourself DDG is the better keeper. So you'd decide to play an inferior keeper in order to stand by him as a reward for playing well previously. Sounds like sentimentality to me.

marktan

Seems some links coming out with Villa interested.

I think he'd do a solid job there, they struggled a bit with keepers even when Reina came in. I like Villa as a team and think they can improve if they keep Graelish and make the right signings. Having some of their injured players like Wesley and Mcginn (back to form) return will help them a lot.

With Romero it's a bit of a strange one, he's always been far too good to be a second keeper, but in the end after stints at Sampdoria the wage he's getting with us is likely to be many multiples of what he'd get elsewhere and enough to sacrifice his prime years. It's a shame because he could've been a top starting keeper somewhere, but at 33 he probably still has some years in him.

flappyjay

Seeing as Emi Martinez is going to Villa fo £20m it will be the joke of the year if this guy goes for anything less.
Age + plus wages make it difficult to get a high amount. For instance the highest paid player at Brighton is on 50k a week. Clubs like Brighton would easily buy the likes of lingard, the money is there but wages are an issue.

Dudu

Not too keen on this tbh, given how sharp Everton have looked.

DoomSlayer

No wonder the players look dead on the pitch. There's probably a toxic environment brewing behind the scenes yet again, just like in Mourinho's last season.

We are cursed after too long being on top. This is our repayment for becoming the biggest English club.

Status
Not open for further replies.