Sergio Romero image 22

Sergio Romero Argentina flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

His life has been shafted too. If he was playing regularly for a decent club he would be in a chance for a recall for Argentina. What is the point in keeping him and Grant as a back up to DeGea and Henderson when he and everyone knows that he is not going to be given a chance. Being a number 2 at United and number 3 are two different ball games. We did not pay much for him so let him go and his wages are freed too.

UncleBob

His life has been shafted too. If he was playing regularly for a decent club he would be in a chance for a recall for Argentina. What is the point in keeping him and Grant as a back up to DeGea and Henderson when he and everyone knows that he is not going to be given a chance. Being a number 2 at United and number 3 are two different ball games. We did not pay much for him so let him go and his wages are freed too.
His fecking life has been shafted? Jesus fecking christ :lol:

hungrywing

Romero has been a great servant. If he wanted to go, he should have been allowed. He is coming towards the end of his career. He deserves to play if that is what he wanted.
Pretty sure Woodward doesn't understand the goodwill and respect you get from doing this more than makes up for the 4-5m 'loss'.

One can sort of understand the 'anywhere but to Everton, Sergio' thing if it's true.

Foxbatt

His fecking life has been shafted? Jesus fecking christ :lol:
You think that everyone thinks the same way? To some people playing for your country is extremely important. Do you think he may not be happy not being in the squad and just collecting his pay check?

UncleBob

You think that everyone thinks the same way? To some people playing for your country is extremely important. Do you think he may not be happy not being in the squad and just collecting his pay check?
This is the first season where he isn't in the squad, the season has barely started and he'll be off in January. He's always known that being a long term no 2 goalkeeper isn't going to be enough to maintain his position for the national team, but there's never been any decent interest where he'd be going in as the number 1. The notion that his life has suddenly been shafted, because he'll be spending 2,5-3 months outside the squad, is pretty fecking amazing.

Dve

Isn’t he free to sign a pre contract in January?

I find it strange we seem to have left it late to look for buyers as it was obvious we were bringing Henderson back. A 60k 3rd choice keeper seems ridiculous.
That´s what players have agents for.

He hasn’t played regularly for most of his career. He’s been happy to be no 2 at United for the last 5 years. He could have pushed for a transfer during that time, he didn’t because he was happy with the situation and the club were happy to have him as our backup keeper.

It’s a been a very difficult year to sell players, and it looks like he had no offers except Everton at the last minute. They are a rival for a European spot, so have no particular issue in him not being allowed to go there on a free or notional transfer fee.

He wouldn’t be getting his place for Argentina back by going there, as he would still be a no 2.

48 hours

Pretty sure Woodward doesn't understand the goodwill and respect you get from doing this more than makes up for the 4-5m 'loss'.

One can sort of understand the 'anywhere but to Everton, Sergio' thing if it's true.
I don’t get keeping him, I’m even more surprised our money men kept him.
Even if we sold him for 2 million, we get that and save on his wages. Instead, we missed out on any fee and still pay his wages before we lose him on a free next year

hungrywing

I don’t get keeping him, I’m even more surprised our money men kept him.
Even if we sold him for 2 million, we get that and save on his wages. Instead, we missed out on any fee and still pay his wages before we lose him on a free next year
I hear you.

They operate from a base of fear: 'What if he helps Everton to a higher place finish than us? What if Villa sell him for 12m in ten months? what if what if what if?'

They'll never understand why SAF sold Pique for 5m, Park for 1m(?) etc. Heck, why he sold Ronaldo at all (no, it wasn't 'becuz 80m').

Web of Bissaka

Close thread early?

Not being picked as part of our CL squad says it all. Obvious actually even before that. Oh well, it was fun while it last.
Let's see if Dean can better his record as the 2nd keeper.

sillwuka

I was really disappointed in Ole when he didn't play Sergio if any of the semis. Very harshly done by and he deserved better.

I do feel the club don't owe anything to Romero though. He got a chance to play for a big club, we resurrected his club career to a certain extent after two poor seasons at Monaco and Sampdoria.

I hope he goes to the MLS if the links are true. Just so he can play some football this year.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People are overstating the situation here. Fergie did stuff like this all the time - told people to stay on then didn’t give them the minutes they wanted. It’s the way it goes. You don’t always get it all your way.

We should have let him go yeah, and I like him so wish him the best, but he’s been happy doing close to feck all for us for years, so it’s hardly gonna ruin his career.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hope he gets his move. He’s probably been our best number 2 in my lifetime and rarely let us down when called upon.

Web of Bissaka

Wonder what he's actually doing nowadays. Free holiday?

I mean, our latest training videos doesn't show him joining in the session at all. I know he's not in the CL squad but really this is just disappointing seeing how he gave good reliable performances like about majority 99% of the games he played over 5 seasons. I only recalled one shit game from him, and that's after his horrific injury so that's reasonable and so forgiven. The next game he's back to his best anyway.

MAME DIOUF 32

I'll be really sad if he doesn't get a move in January. Such a waste of a very good goalkeeper and model pro. I can only guess the club might have been expecting a bid for De Gea that never materialised. Otherwise I have no idea why he was kept on.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'll be really sad if he doesn't get a move in January. Such a waste of a very good goalkeeper and model pro. I can only guess the club might have been expecting a bid for De Gea that never materialised. Otherwise I have no idea why he was kept on.
By all accounts we set the price too high

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Was always the best keeper for us whenever he played in our games.

He controlled his box and his defenders.

I was quite disappointed that Ole wanted to get rid of him.

De gea is the worst out the lot and a reactive goalkeeper rather than a proactive one.

RashyForPM

Just thought of the curious relationship between us and Romero this season. I have a couple of questions in relation to this guy.

1) Is he even still at the club? Wikipedia says so, but he’s not even in training.

2) We didn’t register him, did we not release him to Estudiantes? If so, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.