Sergio Romero interested in Manchester United return

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not against signing him, I'm just confused why he wants to come back after how things ended the first time
United is a club that he knows and whom he had a great relationship with up until Ole and Henderson showed up (both are leaving or had left). At age 35 there aren't many options left for him so he can't really snub a move at a top club like ours especially one who pays top salaries as we do.

stevoc

United DNA and Ole's mate. We also signed McShane as well. Both players weren't anywhere near to United's level in their prime let alone now.
Yeah because McShane was signed for the first team.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, he's the sort of 2nd choice GK we should have. Generally solid and reliable, happy to be the designated backup. Not some kind of "challenger" for the top spot on huge wages.

Red4Life_#7

Proven no. 2, well known around the club, family are nested in the area and has plenty of experience. Re-sign him!!

mu4c_20le

Sounds like he and his wife realized the grass isn't actually greener on the other side, and that no one gave a feck about them after they left.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We've been so weird about back up keepers over the past few years. Its a position that is unlikely to be used and I think Heaton would be more than good enough if it ever came to it. I get that Henderson is leaving because he wants a shot at the England squad but Heaton and Bishop are surely sufficient cover for an unlikely situation.
100% - Heaton is getting on but very capable. Why spend anything at all on Romero?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
fantastic back up option as a keeper and a great professional, cant see it happening though after the way he left, not his doing though.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
100% - Heaton is getting on but very capable. Why spend anything at all on Romero?
Fair point - I'd honestly forgotten about Heaton.

In theory, he should do as a 2nd choice. Experienced, pretty solid, etc.

Then again, if ETH for some reason or other positively fancies Romero - I guess that's fair enough too (provided we don't offer him a stupid contract).

Elcabron

feck me the group think going on here. Romero was shit. Do not want him back. Never let us down as he only ever played against the minnows of Europe in the Europa league. Anytime he faced decent opposition which was rare he was ropey as feck.

Abraxas

Struggling to identify the point.

Why sign Heaton if he's not good enough to be second choice? A youngster can play third choice. Not sure why we go mad with keepers.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Anyone said he'd end up as #1 under EtH yet?

stevoc

God knows why we signed McShane. He was a shit player even in his prime let alone in his mid 30s.
Pretty sure he was only signed to play for the reserves with a view to a coaching role. So let's not pretend he was signed to play for the first team mate.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
feck me the group think going on here. Romero was shit. Do not want him back. Never let us down as he only ever played against the minnows of Europe in the Europa league. Anytime he faced decent opposition which was rare he was ropey as feck.
Examples?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yep, he can do one. Wasn't nearly as good as he thought, didn't have many offers when he left. Ended up at the worst team in Italy.

He didn't Solskjaer let him leave because he wasn't going to play ahead of DeGea or Henderson but he threw a hissy fit when we wouldn't sell him to Everton so he just ran his contract down instead of going somewhere else. Typical Mino Raiola client.
This is a bit wrong. We agreed a 2m fee with Everton then changed our minds last minute and wanted 7m instead so the deal collapsed. Understandably he got pissed off. We lost 2m fee and had to pay his wages. Bad way to treat people that we had no intention of using and who had been an excellent number 2

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pretty sure he was only signed to play for the reserves with a view to a coaching role. So let's not pretend he was signed to play for the first team mate.
Correct, we were short of CBs for reserve action so he was signed with a stipulation that he’d be coaching as well. It was only a short term thing

devilish

I never said that. However buying some shit mid 30 year old to play in the reserves only to them hire him as coach is stupid. He could either retire and start as a coach or return a year later once he had retired. Ole jobs for the boys and british core BS backfired spectaculary

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No, absolutely not, but what changed? He's even less likely to take the starting position than he was back then
I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I did once read somewhere that he had a recurring injury that made it difficult for him to start too many games in a row. Not sure if it was related to the the knee surgery that he had at the end of last season. It could also have been a completely made-up story, but it would explain why he seemed happy to stick around so long as our #2 despite certainly being good enough to be the #1 at other teams in the top leagues.

Things seemed to change at the end of 19/20 when Ole dropped him at the semi-final stage in all three of the Europa, FA Cup and EFL Cup (despite De Gea playing poorly all season). There were rumours that Romero wasn't happy with that, and it probably made it worse that we lost all of them with De Gea making huge mistakes in 3 of the 5 goals we conceded in the first two. Then the relationship seemed to completely break down in 20/21 when he was relegated to 3rd choice and the club didn't let him leave. He probably would have been happy to continue here as a valued #2.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

So he can throw a strop again and refuse to show up for training? No thanks.

Most overrated player I’ve ever seen, relegation crap is where he belongs.
Never once let us down and kept a load of clean sheets on his way to a European final... where he got dropped. Treated like a third class citizen and denied a move he wanted (and deserved) because we were concerned about strengthening Everton. I think he had a raw deal and he's more than a decent no 2. What's he done to deserve this sort of random hatred :lol: :lol: :lol: like I'd "get it" for Pogba but Romero?!

stevoc

This is a bit wrong. We agreed a 2m fee with Everton then changed our minds last minute and wanted 7m instead so the deal collapsed. Understandably he got pissed off. We lost 2m fee and had to pay his wages. Bad way to treat people that we had no intention of using and who had been an excellent number 2
Did we actually though?

From what I can remember the story was Mino was shopping him around for less than United wanted.

Edit: apparently it was Everton that proposed the £2m fee according to the Athletic.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/10/12/man-united-blocked-eleventh-hour-romero-to-everton-switch/

stevoc

I never said that. However buying some shit mid 30 year old to play in the reserves only to them hire him as coach is stupid. He could either retire and start as a coach or return a year later once he had retired.
Yeah alright mate.

United DNA and Ole's mate. We also signed McShane as well. Both players weren't anywhere near to United's level in their prime let alone now.
God knows why we signed McShane. He was a shit player even in his prime let alone in his mid 30s.

Ole jobs for the boys and british core BS backfired spectaculary
British core, yet 9 of his 14 signings were foreigners. Well done.

Acole9

Outstanding
His time here was massively overhyped but I would take him over every other keeper we've been linked with as a back up. He got mugged off by Solskjaer, classic example of his shite management.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I never said that. However buying some shit mid 30 year old to play in the reserves only to them hire him as coach is stupid. He could either retire and start as a coach or return a year later once he had retired. Ole jobs for the boys and british core BS backfired spectaculary
I actually think it's fine. What's the point of a backup kid GK in the reserves. He won't play, just train...

Robertd0803

I feel we could have treated our keepers post-Fergie era better.
Especially Romero, Valdes, and Henderson. I forgot the stupid reason why Valdes got frozen out by Van Gaal, but I think he deserved better.
I forget Valdes used to even play for us.

devilish

Yeah alright mate.

British core, yet 9 of his 14 signings were foreigners. Well done.
Under Cardiff our first team had Shaw, AWB, Maguire in defence and McT, Rashford and Greenwood/Sancho in midfield. That's a British core.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t really see the point, I’d be surprised if there’s anything in this.

Lee565

From the negativity in the thread you would think he would be coming back as 1st choice, I see no harm in bringing him back for 1 season as it doesn't look like we are remotely looking at any better options as back up to de gea