Seriously, will another 'rebuild' take us any closer to the title?

fastwalker

Totally fed up of the word 'rebuild'. Even if it might have been a valid justification for under-performance over the past three or four years, now it seems to be a euphemism for utter cluelessness. Hundreds of millions spent with (on paper) one of the best squads in the Premier League and we are no nearer competing for the title. Yet there is talk of need for another 'rebuild' when the new manager comes in. Surely this is a descent into madness? Does anyone seriously think that throwing more money at attracting more players will actually bring us closer to being viable competitors for the Premier League title? Sides that have spent less than us are out-performing us. What are we actually rebuilding and is it something that can be fixed with money?

What do others think?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We'll get it right when we get
1)The right manager
2)The right system
3) The right players

So simple, yet so very difficult at the same time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Dunno. Might do might not.

Spaghetti

Mom's
We need to be ready for when City decline. They can’t keep up this form and luck forever.

It makes you wonder though, who will get to 21 first, out of United (20), Liverpool (19) and City (7).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We don't need "rebuild" because rebuilding term is one huge BS. Just like terms United Dna, knows the club etc...
We need top manager and then we need to give him freedom to buy 2 or 3 players. And that is it.

Dave, Lindelof, Shaw, Varane, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Telles, Bailly, Donny, Dalot...all players in best football years.
We have very good squad which needs 2 midfielders and top coach and that is it.

Dante

Average bang
The top end of the Premier League is a cut-throat competition where points are won as a matter of life or death.

The likes of the Chinese Super League and the Qatari League are glorified theme parks where formerly big stars can go and count their money in semi-retirement.

Right now, the culture at United is somewhere between those two. Which is fecking unacceptable.

No rebuild will ever be successful until after we reform the dressing room atmosphere to be like the first category.

I don't think we're a million miles off at the moment. There just needs to be a few kicks up the backside, and maybe a scapegoat or two getting chucked out of the squad. But getting that right is the tricky bit. Jose tried and failed. And the board isn't going to sanction a huge transfer budget to allow any manager to tear it all down and start again. It could be down to luck as much as judgement.

passing-wind

I just think the bad results on field are a true reflection of the leaders in the hierarchy.

Due to how bad the infrastructure of the club is and the inexperience to effectively deal with footballing matters (newly appointed positions everywhere) it will require a quality quality manager to be critical for the clubs success. Maybe Ragnick's influence away from the starting 11 will be enough to reboot all of the values and culture that is all over the place.

I also think the decision to not side with Conte was a critical error in judgement, has league experience, is a winner, a push for top four would have been an easier priority but once again slowness to be reactive and proactive has cost the club. I feel the feeling surrounding the club would have been more positive under better circumstances.

I personally don't think things are as bad as they seem however, the squad is full of quality especially in attacking positions. The majority of the starting 11 is out of form, when you consider that the club is just marginally outside the top four and in woeful form, while teams like Arsenal / West Ham are supposedly having good seasons, it goes to show that this team has a high potential to be successful. I think Ronaldo did touch on this point on his interview, Hargreaves also mentioned on BT sport, the team in representation of a puzzle needs the jigsaw set to be reorganized as opposed to requiring different individual pieces.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We will get closer than we’ve managed at any point post Fergie if we get to the root of our long standing issues. Finding value in the market and recruiting driven and ambitious players instead of marketable players.

Contracts. Internal staff and player appraisal.

Taking the glazers and whoever else holds up decision making to the extent where it takes us several windows to do a transfer out of the equation

Modernising the playing system and agreeing to not rest and fall behind again. To always be at the cutting edge of advances in the sport.

To use the youth system as a way to make extra money to bolster the first team .

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
1)The right manager
2)The right system
3) The right players

1) The right owners
2) The right manager
3)The right system
4) The right players

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
1) The right owners
2) The right manager
3)The right system
4) The right players
Yep, though for all the Glazers sins you can't say they're the key factor in us not pressing on from last season's 2nd.

Everyone was delighted at our 3 signings, yet we've gone massively backwards from it.

peridigm

We need to be ready for when City decline. They can’t keep up this form and luck forever.

It makes you wonder though, who will get to 21 first, out of United (20), Liverpool (19) and City (7).
I shudder the thought.

The rebuild needs to be seen through by one manager. Letting one manager buy a bunch of players off his wish list only to be sacked the following season or thereafter just means we're starting over again.
We also need to stop wasting money on players just because they're available and seemingly better on paper than what we have.

Camilo

Of course we don't need a rebuild. We need a decent manager to coach the players, and sell the ones who don't seem to be committing.

Irwin99

Yes- but it has to be a good one with solid foundations, a long term strategy and good planning.

Klopp with Liverpool is an obvious recent example and we'd be very happy with a champions league and a league title, but Sir Alex rebuilt his side between 03-06 against an oil club and Arsenal's Invincibles. I remember Klopp saying when he was at Dortmund that the only way they could compete with Bayern was to get everything right in the transfer market and pick up smaller players and make them into world beaters. That's pretty much what we need to do, as well as getting the odd mega signing right.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We don't need a rebuild, so there's really no need to overcomplicate this. It's simply about putting the best possible football team out on the field. We have a lot of the right ingredients, but we need 2 or 3 signings. That's not a rebuild. It's a normal summer.

The club are looking at the way they handle the football side - that's a positive. Rangnick has been hired as a consultant to help us find the way - that's a positive. Woodward is going and his replacement is stepping back from football decisions - that's a positive.

There are reasons to feel some optimism if you want to. Of course there are also reasons to be pissed off and demoralised. It depends on what side of the fence you want to sit.

Tarrou

we just need to appoint the right manager

I don’t think we need a complete overhaul personally - aside from CM

SirScholes

Totally fed up of the word 'rebuild'. Even if it might have been a valid justification for under-performance over the past three or four years, now it seems to be a euphemism for utter cluelessness. Hundreds of millions spent with (on paper) one of the best squads in the Premier League and we are no nearer competing for the title. Yet there is talk of need for another 'rebuild' when the new manager comes in. Surely this is a descent into madness? Does anyone seriously think that throwing more money at attracting more players will actually bring us closer to being viable competitors for the Premier League title? Sides that have spent less than us are out-performing us. What are we actually rebuilding and is it something that can be fixed with money?

What do others think?
What’s the option? Not rebuild and try and win with mediocre players
Let me know how that works

wolvored

From 1 Feb we will be run differently. At least thats what we have been told. Arnold will take over from Woodward (with no Woodward input and the fact he thought he was going to be a consultant and some clever geezer(s) has said no). He has said the football side will be run by Murtough and Fletcher, with Rangnick advising for 2 years, so in that although not brilliant is a major step up from Woodward doing it. Lets see how it pans out over the next season or so.

marktan

Yep, though for all the Glazers sins you can't say they're the key factor in us not pressing on from last season's 2nd.

Everyone was delighted at our 3 signings, yet we've gone massively backwards from it.
I wasn't for Ronaldo and Sancho. One can't run and touch went at Juve and the other is slow and struggled to beat his man even at Dortmund

It comes down to:

1) Crap owners and crap board, no understanding of the footballing game making poor decisions that trickles down to the rest of everyone else at United. Compare to to the board and owner at say Brighton, full of experienced footballing men. Similar say at City.
2) Crap recruitment staff / recruitment analysts
3) Questionable footballing higher-ups - our footballing director Murtough has overseen some very questionable signings since becoming head of football strategy in 2016
4) Manager play-style /coaching, tactics, man management, rotation, scouting opposition etc
5) And lastly squad, which is decent but our first XI is nowhere near a team like Liverpools. Making it better comes down to making all 4 points above better.

Ralph1386

1)The right manager
2)The right system
3) The right players

Sad to admit but without the right owners we’ll never get it right.

sp_107

we just need to appoint the right manager

I don’t think we need a complete overhaul personally - aside from CM

Agreed, just 2 or 3 good sigings would do with a good manager

I think we missed the boat with Conte

tomaldinho1

You've just fallen for the media pedalled 'rebuild' narrative, we've never actually done that. We're no different to any other club, we hire managers, we sign players and we play football games...just because we have an illustrious past it's a term that stuck because clearly the hope is we get back to being the best in the PL. Ragnick is necessary right now, mainly because he is expendable as a coach and this season we've amassed a lot of players who are going to leave in summer, there's a lot of uncertainty and Ole's position was completely untenable - getting in a disciplinarian who can coach a press and is dispensable is perfect. (Obviously Ragnick's value is more on the strategy and recruitment side)

USREDEVIL

Rebuild it and they will come....the trophies that is.

Get rid of the older crowd, your Maguires, Matas, Matics, Lingards (who went from a baby to and old man overnight), Cavanis, Pogbas, and blood in the youngsters and do some proper recruiting.

OrcaFat

We do not need a rebuild. No need to even bring it up. But then I do get fed up of people saying we need a rebuild.

Two or three good signings will get us challenging. We may not get such signings and that is the real problem. We definitely do not need to replace 6, 7, 8 players with more £20m players, unproven prospects and over-the-hill stars. We need two or three top-drawer, elite-level players to come straight in. Again, I don’t think we’ll get them. Could be RR or the next coach will knock the current shambles into shape but we’ll always come up short with our present CMs.

Menace

We are a long way off, regardless of what word you choose to use we are at an absolute minimum 3 years off competing in my opinion.

kundalini

The system is the key.

Since Sir Alex retired, United have continually bought players without any great thought as to how they fit the system we intend to play. We don't appear to pay attention to why the players we buy were a success at their previous club.

We have to find a style of play that allows us to create plenty of chances while restricting our opponents to few opportunities. Figure that out and the rebuild shouldn't be that difficult.

NoPace

We are a long way off, regardless of what word you choose to use we are at an absolute minimum 3 years off competing in my opinion.
Yeah, I don't know how else to think of it. Like if we had somehow gotten Conte and he brought Brozovic and a top CB and somehow found a top RB (no idea who seems like slim pickings out there) and competed for a title we'd still be a mess again immediately after.

We have talented young attackers, Bruno and Varane should have multiple years of top productivity (and giving the ball away) left but we need to "Rebuild" our entire back 6 minus Varane and maybe the goalkeeper position.

Will Singh

We can be on a infinite rebuild and still won’t get anywhere.
Glazers need to go and we need a real football structure from top to bottom and a manager that fits into the structure and philosophy. Once we have that then buy players who fits that philosophy too.
To get back to competing for the PL and CL will take 5-7 years if we do the above.

Infra-red

We won't get near the title while Guardiola is around.

It looks like he'll be off at the end of next season though, so there could be an opening for someone - sadly, it's difficult to believe that it will be United.

Liverpool/Chelsea fans probably have reason for optimism beyond 2023, though.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Give the right manager, the rebuild job and we will be closer to the title/win the title. Even with Ole as incompetent as he was as a coach, we still finished second. There is no way Pochettino or ETH will mess up if given the same resources our last manager got. More questions mark on ETH though because he hasn’t managed at a high level and our players might not adhere to his principles compared to Pochettino who has managed big players with big ego before. Regardless, I dont believe a wholesale rebuild is needed. Just squad trimming and identifying the right players in midfield, right back and perhaps attack depending on what we do with Ronaldo. Moreover, the right gameplan that suits the players we have.

Junkrom

Supports
Chelsea
I think the biggest problem for Man Utd. is that they overestimate their players, many of your "good" players are just above average, like AWB, McTominay , Rashford (lately). The big shots like Cavani or CR7 are way past their prime, United started calling the likes of Lingard "the next Xavi", 80% of the squad is like mid-table tier honestly.

leon24

No we will not win by rebuilding. We can only win if Pep and Klopp both leave.

Tyrion

1)The right manager
2)The right system
3) The right players

I'd put 'The right backroom team' before 1) because they're the ones picking the manager in the first place. People like Woodward, Fletcher and Murtough pick the wrong manager and everything stems from that.

reddevilz007

The Glazers, if they could treat United as a football powerhouse instead of using us as cash cows. Their Buccaneers are heading towards another SuperBowl.

Daengophile

Of course we don't need a rebuild. We need a decent manager to coach the players, and sell the ones who don't seem to be committing.
We need a rebuild in my opinion.

Built around a 21st century football ethos

No more messianic coaches

No more prima donna players

And a structure for football throughout the club that develops the same skills and styles that are needed by the top team

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

Yes they are the key factor. And not everyone was delighted. Lots of us had reservations about Ronaldo and almost everyone was concerned about not signing a DM. And those two things were the result of Glazer policies. and they blew up in Ole's face.