Seven games away from the most promising league season since Fergie

sparx99

With our run-in compared to the teams around us, we should make the top 3/4, the only thing I'm worried about is individual errors costing us. We cut those out and we're a very different team.
Also our run in is full of games against teams we have consistently dropped points against. We’ve done better against top-6 than lower half! Bruno and Pogba should help in that regard.

dove

What absolute crap!

Makes up imaginary percentage to enforce an opinion.

It's absolute feckin evident at this point what he is trying to achieve and we can see its working on the pitch.

Embarrassing comments from you throughout this thread.
The season is shambolic, doesn't matter what percentage it is :lol: We were on a fecking relegation form for a big part of the season and currently sit on 49 points with 7 games to go. Are you trying to say we are having a good season? :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
My faith in Solskjaer was definitely shaken around October, I was concerned about the results and the performances, in hindsight I should've been able to see the bigger picture that we were getting very unlucky with certain decisions/injuries. Now, I think we'd be beyond mental to continue with anyone but Solskjaer, this team has so much untapped potential and they're showing why we should believe. The amount of individual player who have improved since he joined can't be overstated which was such a big issue under previous managers.

By December you could see where the two missing pieces of the team were and we ended up signing one in January which is why it wasn't a huge surprise to see Fernandes's impact on us, we needed that number 10 to knit the attack and midfield together, bonus points because it finally banished our two worst players in Lingard/Pereira to the bench. I look forward to next season to see what we can achieve with Solskjaer.

Web of Bissaka

"Most promising season post-saf"? That sounds too familiar. Wonder when I heard this before

Chance for that is to win both FAC and EL. I trust out league finish will be good.

Anyhow, a positive thread is good to balance things up here. Too much negatives often. Balance of both perspectives are the best.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My faith in Solskjaer was definitely shaken around October, I was concerned about the results and the performances, in hindsight I should've been able to see the bigger picture that we were getting very unlucky with certain decisions/injuries. Now, I think we'd be beyond mental to continue with anyone but Solskjaer, this team has so much untapped potential and they're showing why we should believe. The amount of individual player who have improved since he joined can't be overstated which was such a big issue under previous managers.

By December you could see where the two missing pieces of the team were and we ended up signing one in January which is why it wasn't a huge surprise to see Fernandes's impact on us, we needed that number 10 to knit the attack and midfield together, bonus points because it finally banished our two worst players in Lingard/Pereira to the bench. I look forward to next season to see what we can achieve with Solskjaer.
If there is anything, it's the exact opposite. I see the positive, the direction he's heading to & the change he's trying to make in end of October when we drew 1-1 to Liverpool, followed by victories & good performance against Norwich & Chelsea.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If there is anything, it's the exact opposite. I see the positive, the direction he's heading to & the change he's trying to make in end of October when we drew 1-1 to Liverpool, followed by victories & good performance against Norwich & Chelsea.
When we got Martial back against Norwich was when I stopped being so dramatic.

TrueRed79

We are about 4 top class players away from that. A left back to replace Shaw. A right winger. A centre back. Another midfielder. Buy the best you can get in those positions and we can give it a decent go as long as players stay fit.

wolvored

Its our best season post Fergie in hope and expectation for the future. We need to bring in 3 WC or very good players. A top striker RW and DM/CM. We also need Pogba (if he stops) to be more consistant. Hopefully Bruno will bring out the best in him. We have some good young players coming through and would love to see Mejbri given a chance next season. Lets hope we can snag the 2 cups and even if we fail in getting top 4 we will still be in Champions league.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Its our best season post Fergie in hope and expectation for the future. We need to bring in 3 WC or very good players. A top striker RW and DM/CM. We also need Pogba (if he stops) to be more consistant. Hopefully Bruno will bring out the best in him. We have some good young players coming through and would love to see Mejbri given a chance next season. Lets hope we can snag the 2 cups and even if we fail in getting top 4 we will still be in Champions league.
You would love to see Mejbri next year but want to bring in more players in his path to the first team?

SpyLuke10

Why are people so insistent that we need a top striker when we have Martial, and Greenwood as backup too?

wolvored

You would love to see Mejbri next year but want to bring in more players in his path to the first team?
Mejbri wouldnt play or be considered in all the games and we definitely need strengthening. See Garner this season. At best he would be a peripheral player, odd league cup, FA cup game 15 mins here and there in the league. Give him a taste see how he does.

SER19

Has the feeling of 05/06 to me. Young players on the cusp of World class. Maybe a key signing away from things falling into place.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
We are about 4 top class players away from that. A left back to replace Shaw. A right winger. A centre back. Another midfielder. Buy the best you can get in those positions and we can give it a decent go as long as players stay fit.
and another first team striker

norm87cro

Its really simple math for us. Not taking the potential City ban into account we need to win all of our remaining fixtures and hope Chelsea or even prehaps Leicester drop points.

Pav1878

Lots to be positive about. Would be worse seeing 'them' win the league whisky we were languishing mid table with a very uninspiring team.

But we have a lot to be excited about with this team. Dynamism, guile, pace, power and good team spirit.

Onwards and upwards. Just thinking how sweet our next title win will be!

adnando

The season is shambolic, doesn't matter what percentage it is :lol: We were on a fecking relegation form for a big part of the season and currently sit on 49 points with 7 games to go. Are you trying to say we are having a good season? :lol:
Do you always isolate one variable to assess a multivariable question?

I'm not saying that 49 points with seven games to go are good, or that points gained are a terrible variable to judge the season, but to insinuate that it is laughable to say we are having a good season on the basis of it seems short-minded.

Stevondo8

Its really simple math for us. Not taking the potential City ban into account we need to win all of our remaining fixtures and hope Chelsea or even prehaps Leicester drop points.
Have you seen Leicester’s run in? It includes Everton away, Arsenal away, sheff it’s at home, spurs away and finishes with a home match against us. I think they’ll drop points. We probably will too somewhere along the way and that final game of the season could well be winner gets 4th.

I know wolves are in the mix too but they’ve got arsenal and Everton to play at home as well as away games at sheff utd and finishing at Chelsea, and a derby away to villa up next, so whilst wolves could go undefeated all the way, I’d still expect them to drop points somewhere too.

Final day could be rather tense! I assume everyone will play at same time on final day as per usual? Just over various tv channels...

Rish Sawhney

Not that hard to predict considering we are on track to finish with lowest points in PL history. Our current run is decent but let's not get ahead of ourselves as we had 10s of false dawns under all managers. Let's not forget that 90% of this season was shambolic.
As an aside, I’m so tired of this “points total” crap. It’s a totally bunk metric. We’ve won the league with 78 points and Liverpool lost it last year with 97. It means feck all. If we have the lowest points total ever but finish higher than 7th does that this mean this is a worse season than the Moyes one? Absolutely not! Every season is different with different relative strengths and weaknesses.

Withnail

We're not catching Chelsea.

Leciester will drop points. It could down to a top 4 play off on the last day of the season which I'm well up for.

Member 113277

Some thoughts about the rest of this season

1. In effect we are in a mini-season, where we started with a handicap (due to games 1-19) - it is now a combination of form and luck where we finish, I thought Chelsea looked good last night, but believe Leicester may drop sharply, opening the door for two clubs (other than Liverpool and City) to qualify for the Champions League
  2. Wolves, IMO, are potentially dangerous in this limited scenario - they are tough and well organised
  3. Spurs could also be a handful, depending on whether they maintain good form
  4. So it's a bit of a lottery and we just need to try to win all our fixtures and not worry about the other teams
In terms of next season, I believe we are in a far better place, because we're not starting from the really poor position caused by our awful performance in games 1-19. City looked awful last night, they were loose and lucky not to lose 4-1, whilst LIverpool don't have the largest of squads. IMO, Chelsea may become a force, with their signings to join, so no room for complacency, but if we can maintain our games 20 onwards form (and score a few more, due to Bruno and Pogba in the team), then we could be competitive with anyone.

We need to develop City's ruthlessness in putting away the lower level clubs.

Withnail

Have you seen Leicester’s run in? It includes Everton away, Arsenal away, sheff it’s at home, spurs away and finishes with a home match against us. I think they’ll drop points. We probably will too somewhere along the way and that final game of the season could well be winner gets 4th.

I know wolves are in the mix too but they’ve got arsenal and Everton to play at home as well as away games at sheff utd and finishing at Chelsea, and a derby away to villa up next, so whilst wolves could go undefeated all the way, I’d still expect them to drop points somewhere too.

Final day could be rather tense! I assume everyone will play at same time on final day as per usual? Just over various tv channels...
Don't know about the TV but yeah all games are on Sun 26th July @ 3pm

Falcow

It’s the first time you’ve had a side that can play real football. You have ballers in midfield, all comfortable in possession and suited to each other. With the addition of Bruno it takes a lot of the creative burden of Pogba’s back, and Matic is comfortable bringing the ball out and drawing players in while defensively competent. Add in an exciting and pretty fluid front three and you’re balling.

Pogba has gotten a lot of stick on here but since joining how many times has he played in a midfield that can play football?
I think that's a fair point, I've been critical of him in the past but I think Bruno does take some of the pressure off him both in terms of opposition players and expectations in general. It could really free him up in every sense....
If he stays that is!

Gum_gum

It’s already the most promising league season since Fergie, by far.
More promisin' than when we finished second and got to the FA Cup final????

Delusional.

We've conceded more and scored fewer.

Is a happy dressing room really that important to the fans here???

RedPed

Whatabouter.
As an aside, I’m so tired of this “points total” crap. It’s a totally bunk metric. We’ve won the league with 78 points and Liverpool lost it last year with 97. It means feck all. If we have the lowest points total ever but finish higher than 7th does that this mean this is a worse season than the Moyes one? Absolutely not! Every season is different with different relative strengths and weaknesses.
What are you doing talking sense, man? That's not how things work here.

laughtersassassin

Will be sickening if we're don't make CL one way or another. Will just make the summer and processing that much harder

GiddyUp

Agreed, but there is always a chance that Ole could feck it up from here. Nothing I have seen so far would suggest that, but there is a chance.
I'm sorry to say but the final piece of the puzzle maybe a better manager. Like you said, there is a chance but if we are no where near contention it will be inevitable that he gets the chop.

GiddyUp

We're not catching Chelsea.

Leciester will drop points. It could down to a top 4 play off on the last day of the season which I'm well up for.
Why not? Dont think Chelsea are going to get maximum points in all those matches left either.

OsloRed

Delusional.

I'd say so. The team now is way more promising than back then, and so is the football played. The team is younger and better balanced, and the youth prospects coming through are at a higher level. The mood around the club is healthier as well.

I'm surprised at the amount of pessimism around, not because of the season - there has been points where pessimism has been warranted, but just in general. Being a fan seems like a chore for some people.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Infestissumam

I'm surprised at the amount of pessimism around, not because of the season - there has been points where pessimism has been warranted, but just in general. Being a fan seems like a chore for some people.
it doesn't really surprise me any more, there always seems to a lot of pessimism around here. I get it to a certain degree too, there have been a lot of false dawns over the years ... but being negative all the times certainly wouldn't be for me personally.

Withnail

Why not? Dont think Chelsea are going to get maximum points in all those matches left either.
I don't think they'll get max points but I don't think we will either. With Chelsea's run-in and how they're playing I don't see us catching them.

At least with Leicester they are playing poorly and we are playing them so have a chance to take a huge chunk out of that lead.

Withnail

it doesn't really surprise me any more, there always seems to a lot of pessimism around here. I get it to a certain degree too, there have been a lot of false dawns over the years ... but being negative all the times certainly wouldn't be for me personally.
It's not as bad as it was with the unbeaten run and break.

Some relentlessly negative posters have gone quieter and some have disappeared altogether.

FerociousCorgis

Feel like if thread title was changed to league season ending that would be a more accurate title. If we go out and win the final 7 league games that would definitely lead to one of the more positive league season endings in a while.

diarm

I don't care where we finish this season. This picture sums up why I feel positive as a United fan:

Handsome Devil

Still recovering from that bitter pill we all had to swallow yesterday but I am feeling much more confident in our team now. Just a few more upgrades to get in now.
When does the transfer window officially open again? I'm confused!

Stevondo8

Still recovering from that bitter pill we all had to swallow yesterday but I am feeling much more confident in our team now. Just a few more upgrades to get in now.
When does the transfer window officially open again? I'm confused!
Don’t think it has been confirmed when the window will open yet...

Zen86

Delusional.

The season we spent big money, played dire football, and got spanked by City in the league? Yes, much more promising.

theklr

Think we should put many eggs in the EL basket thats for sure. 4th looks tough now, and even 5th with City ban will be down to the wire.

Keefy18

Dear god :rolleyes:

What did you honestly expect from this season? It's a genuine question. Did you expect to win or challenge for the league title with Phil FN Jones and Lingard in the squad? :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, there's a wonderful thing in life called perspective and its for folks with a level of intellect who can calmly analysis situations and apply it to the scenario and come up with realistic outcomes.

We've 7 games left as you point out and could finish as high up as 3rd and win two cups and that's a "shambolic" season?

Reality is this, even the greatest manager of all time and for all his undoubted brilliance...Ferguson took 6 years to win a league title, hell...even after winning a treble in 99 and then going through a rebuild it took Ferguson 3 years of no titles to build arguably one of his greatest ever sides and another Champions league.

Ole took over a squad in dire, dire need of a rebuild. You do not go winning league titles or even challenging for them smack bang in the middle of whole sale squad changes. We saw yesterday that there is still a lot of work needed and that the likes of Mata, Lingard, Jones, Dalot, Periera and probably at least 3-4 others still need moving on!

But to clowns like you, he should be up there on the 80-90 points mark with these players? :lol::lol::lol: