Seven games away from the most promising league season since Fergie

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Nah, need Arsenal to beat Wolves and Leicester, or atleast get a draw in both those games
Why - I hope they destroy Leicester and Wolves :)
Yeah, suppose you're right. Those games are a win-win in reality. In the grand scheme of things, I just want to see Arsenal destroyed and consigned to mediocrity.

GiddyUp

it’s this manager who has brought in Maguire, AWB, James, Ighalo and Bruno. He’s the manager that has got the best out of Martial, Rashford, Fred etc etc.

Rome wasn’t build in day. Good things come to those who wait blah blah.

can you not see the team he’s been rebuilt from top to bottom and that this takes time. We are seeing some of those fruits now.
So 2 seasons from now if we are still struggling for top 4 you think Ole should be kept?. Of course I see some progress but we are still miles behind. Woodward has a lot of mistakes to rectify, let's see if our manager can see us through, if not you would be very naive to think he won't axe the manager to save face. Progress is being made and we are in a fantastic run but let's not cream our pants until we are solid. Too many shite decisions have been made out of sentimentality and not understanding football, we need to be ruthless off the pitch also so we will see.

Rish Sawhney

So 2 seasons from now if we are still struggling for top 4 you think Ole should be kept?. Of course I see some progress but we are still miles behind. Woodward has a lot of mistakes to rectify, let's see if our manager can see us through, if not you would be very naive to think he won't axe the manager to save face. Progress is being made and we are in a fantastic run but let's not cream our pants until we are solid. Too many shite decisions have been made out of sentimentality and not understanding football, we need to be ruthless off the pitch also so we will see.
Context matters a lot. If Pogba stays, we get Sancho/Grealish, have no serious injury issues and we're still struggling for 4th, he probably will and should go. But if Pogba leaves, and we don't really get any top players in as replacement, or we have massive injury issues again like this season then maybe not. It is a results business but you can still use your brain a little bit rather than be a slave to the numbers.

midnightmare

Simple question...... who is our player of the season, I bet it's far more varied and up for grabs than at any point in at least a decade. We've quite a few players quite worthy of taking it to my mind.
The one guarantee is that it won't be de Gea. The very fact that our goalkeeper is not going to be in the running for the first time in ages, shows how much the team has improved over seasons - and managers - past.

GiddyUp

Context matters a lot. If Pogba stays, we get Sancho/Grealish, have no serious injury issues and we're still struggling for 4th, he probably will and should go. But if Pogba leaves, and we don't really get any top players in as replacement, or we have massive injury issues again like this season then maybe not. It is a results business but you can still use your brain a little bit rather than be a slave to the numbers.
Agreed. You can have a pass success rate of 95% every match but still be a Chris Smalling.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
You're a miserable fecker! Shouldn't you be in the other thread. :smirk:

we are not taking about 2 years time, we are talking about now.

no one is ‘creaming their pants’ thankfully that’s not happened in 30 years, but it’s those people who don’t think we’ve made progress and who are calling for OGSs head who are ridiculous and quite frankly spoilt fans.

He’s the only manager post Fergie who understands the club, and he took over the club in a far worse condition than Moyes, LVG or Jose. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, we can approach next year with excitement and optimism - been far too long since we’ve had that.

He’s been brave enough to ship out the crap like Fellaini, Lukuku, Sanchez, Rojo and Valencia. He clearly has many others who he wants to get rid of as well.

Member 113277

no one is ‘creaming their pants’ thankfully that’s not happened in 30 years, but it’s those people who don’t think we’ve made progress and who are calling for OGSs head who are ridiculous and quite frankly spoilt fans.

He’s the only manager post Fergie who understands the club, and he took over the club in a far worse condition than Moyes, LVG or Jose. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, we can approach next year with excitement and optimism - been far too long since we’ve had that.

He’s been brave enough to ship out the crap like Fellaini, Lukuku, Sanchez, Rojo and Valencia. He clearly has many others who he wants to get rid of as well.
Well said!

SweetRightFoot

I'm sure I saw a thread just the other day about how we're 1 or 2 defeats away from our worst season since Moyes or something.

Glass half full or empty I guess.

Keefy18

The one guarantee is that it won't be de Gea. The very fact that our goalkeeper is not going to be in the running for the first time in ages, shows how much the team has improved over seasons - and managers - past.
Yep, his form has nose dived off a cliff!

AWB, Maguire, Fred, McTominay and Rashford are my main picks for POTY.

Greenwood will no doubt take the YPOTY.

GiddyUp

I'm in no way saying he should be axed but as we improve as a team I want to see Ole improve as a manager. Our ins and outs will set the tone for the coming season and I'm excited. I think ourselves and Chelsea will be the teams to watch.

Tiber

I really don't want to get carried away - however, I really think that if everyone stays healthy (especially if Rashford finds some sort of form) we can win the rest of our league games

Steve Bruce

I voted Ole out earlier in the season. Their was no improvement, in fact we looked terrible.

But he's turned the tide, existing players have improved massively & Bruno was a fantastic signing. We are now starting to play like Manchester United should play.

Ole deserves credit now not ridicule. If we continue to play as we are & win our next few matches & get into the last game with a chance of top 4 he deserves another year to succeed or fail.

I'm more than happy to eat humble pie.

Zen86

I'm in no way saying he should be axed but as we improve as a team I want to see Ole improve as a manager. Our ins and outs will set the tone for the coming season and I'm excited. I think ourselves and Chelsea will be the teams to watch.
Everyone’s an expert in management I see. You’ll be happy as long as we keep winning.

Nikelesh Reddy

I'm confident he is already doing this.

TBF to Ole and the coaching staff this is the first time in the post Fergie era we are now playing with a distinctive style and not just countering teams. We are playing with a high press and work rate is fantastic, we retain possession well and move the ball with far better tempo than at almost any point in the last decade arguably.

On your point, he has improved AWB, Shaw (although still not 100% convinced personally), Williams, Matic, Fred, McTominay, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood... that's just off the top of my head.

Simple question...... who is our player of the season, I bet it's far more varied and up for grabs than at any point in at least a decade. We've quite a few players quite worthy of taking it to my mind.
I can see your point and I really hope your true.I would love to see Ole lead us back to the top...I”m just sick and tired of constantly changing managers/players/philosophies every 2-3 years.This club needs a modicum of stability....But since Ole doesn’t have a track record of “success” at the highest level,maybe these doubts are naturally going to arise until he leads us back to the top.But I”m fully behind him and I hope we finish this season with a bang...

Lost bear

Amazing transfers,
The best football,
Young players I actually like.

Take away VAR shenanigans and injuries....

Anyone else starting to believe?
Yes. I feel that this has been building for the last few months, and that the situation for UTD is full of promise for the first time in several years...

Paul_Scholes18

It is only top 4. I had more hope after Mourinhos first season when we won two cups at least.
I think Ole can get top 4 again, but not sure he is going to bring in many titles.
We will see though it depends on how we develop players, tactics and add quality in the market.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It is only top 4. I had more hope after Mourinhos first season when we won two cups at least.
I think Ole can get top 4 again, but not sure he is going to bring in many titles.
Oh sound. You must be really fun to be posting this now, bet you’re literally really popular and fun.

Paul_Scholes18

Oh sound. You must be really fun to be posting this now, bet you’re literally really popular and fun.
Top 4 is nice, but it is only top 4. I hope we do well in CL next year, but it is going to be hard. Going to be a hard season overall too unless we add more quality depth.
It is a crazy year right now though so it is hard to judge Ole as a manager. Much easier when you have time between the games.
Not going to have enough time on the training pitch before next season starts either.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Top 4 is nice, but it is only top 4. I hope we do well in CL next year, but it is going to be hard. Going to be a hard season overall too unless we add more quality depth.
It is a crazy year right now though so it is hard to judge Ole as a manager. Much easier when you have time between the games.
Not going to have enough time on the training pitch before next season starts either.
Don’t need much more time tbf. We’ve battered everyone we’ve played.

Untd55

Need to improve next season. This is the weakest the league has been at the top in a long time. I think there are going to be some major improvements next year, and what we have done over the course of the season has not been good enough.

I think Chelsea and Tottenham, in particular, are going to see some major improvements. Arsenal seem to be on an upward trajectory, but I don't think they will challenge for the top four places. City will spend and improve their defence and possibly bring in a replacement for David Silva; I doubt we will catch them next season (they will win the league). I think Liverpool will see a slight deterioration, but will still be too strong and will finish second.

The recent 4 or 5 games have been pretty poor, in terms of performance, so we have to hope that is only a tiredness thing. It could be concerning if it was actually only a purple patch. There are a few question marks over some players: Bruno Fernandes, is he going to replicate that form or is he going drop off? Maguire has been pretty iffy at times; is he going to improve or is the current form is actual ability? Wan Bissaka, will he improve on his attacking game? Finally, will Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood be able to replicate their goal-scoring this season? After all, it is their first time scoring this number.

Paul_Scholes18

Don’t need much more time tbf. We’ve battered everyone we’ve played.
We have mainly played bottom half sides now after the break. Spurs and Leicester the only strong sides.
With CL and hard league games it is going to push our squad more. In Europa league we would rest most players.
Liverpool deal with it well without much rotation. City rotates more to keep up the quality.
Will be interesting to see what Ole does. SAF used to rotate a lot, but we had deeper squad then.