Television Severance (Apple TV)

nimic

something nice
Scout
And that further messes things up, because their explanations are so crap and the outies just accept it as fact when it makes no sense whatsoever. Oh well, I suppose just have to suspend some critical thinking at some points.
Not sure who you're talking about here? Are you referring to people who don't work at Lumon as outies?

SirAnderson

Not sure who you're talking about here? Are you referring to people who don't work at Lumon as outies?
Mark, as he is the only one that comes home with injuries that need explaining, unlike Helly who's outie basically says you not human.
For Mark he has the head thing, the explanation of hitting his head, and then the bloody knuckle when the work he does makes no sense to the injuries, and the fact that he already thinks they up to something shady, but then just dismisses or accepts whatever explanation they gave him.
I suppose he doesn't care because he put himself there for what happened with Gemma so maybe getting hurt doesn't bother him, but just feels like an unrealistic response. It would seem that Irving definitely was doing a lot of work as an outie feeling like they were up to no good, I would really be interested in seeing how that pans out.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Mark, as he is the only one that comes home with injuries that need explaining, unlike Helly who's outie basically says you not human.
For Mark he has the head thing, the explanation of hitting his head, and then the bloody knuckle when the work he does makes no sense to the injuries, and the fact that he already thinks they up to something shady, but then just dismisses or accepts whatever explanation they gave him.
I suppose he doesn't care because he put himself there for what happened with Gemma so maybe getting hurt doesn't bother him, but just feels like an unrealistic response. It would seem that Irving definitely was doing a lot of work as an outie feeling like they were up to no good, I would really be interested in seeing how that pans out.
I think you're spot on about the Gemma thing. Outie Mark is a massively depressed (drunken) mess. He has no idea what he's actually doing at work, and he probably doesn't really care. I guess that's why we get other people talking about the injuries, they're actually curious.

Hope this isn't a Lost thing, but so far it really does seem like everything has been meaningful and leading somewhere.

SirAnderson

I think you're spot on about the Gemma thing. Outie Mark is a massively depressed (drunken) mess. He has no idea what he's actually doing at work, and he probably doesn't really care. I guess that's why we get other people talking about the injuries, they're actually curious.

Hope this isn't a Lost thing, but so far it really does seem like everything has been meaningful and leading somewhere.
I think what also bothers me, is the fact that very early on he gets that weird recording of himself from Petey also, and then again does very little to push that.

I so hope it doesn't turn out to be similar it where it goes. I think the creators have a clear idea of where they want to go with this, I hope, and that it's good. :lol:

I did have a look at that reddit link you gave and it pretty much is how I saw some of the things, was just too much to go through though.

What was your thinking about Irving's ending? I mean they specifically said not to chase personal stuff, but I feel he was very compelled to reach out to Burt, not even sure what he was going to say when the door gets opened.
But even the entire plan was a bit weird to begin with and it only lucked with Helly being who she was, otherwise it would have gotten them really nowhere.

Not sure if these thoughts should be spoilered or not, as I didn't venture into this thread until I watched finished, so hopefully no one comes in here without watching it first, each thread on series differs when it comes to spoilers.

Anyway, another frustration was he shouted "She's alive!" instead of "Gemma's alive" :lol: Thankfully he had the picture in his hand so they should be able to figure that out. :wenger:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think what also bothers me, is the fact that very early on he gets that weird recording of himself from Petey also, and then again does very little to push that.

I so hope it doesn't turn out to be similar it where it goes. I think the creators have a clear idea of where they want to go with this, I hope, and that it's good. :lol:

I did have a look at that reddit link you gave and it pretty much is how I saw some of the things, was just too much to go through though.

What was your thinking about Irving's ending? I mean they specifically said not to chase personal stuff, but I feel he was very compelled to reach out to Burt, not even sure what he was going to say when the door gets opened.
But even the entire plan was a bit weird to begin with and it only lucked with Helly being who she was, otherwise it would have gotten them really nowhere.

Not sure if these thoughts should be spoilered or not, as I didn't venture into this thread until I watched finished, so hopefully no one comes in here without watching it first, each thread on series differs when it comes to spoilers.

Anyway, another frustration was he shouted "She's alive!" instead of "Gemma's alive" :lol: Thankfully he had the picture in his hand so they should be able to figure that out. :wenger:
Spoiling is fine when the season has finished IMO.

Thought Irving's path was... understandable. He was clearly crazy in love with Burt, and he thought that was the guy he could trust. He should have left himself a note, but oh well.

Jericholyte2

HOLY COW! What a show!

Wife and I binged this over two evenings - this is amazing! God I can't wait for S2.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Watched all 8 episodes on two flights during my holidays and I only learnt an hour ago there are in fact 9 episodes.

alsabi

Started yesterday and finished this evening - great show

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I was just thinking about this show, as I'm watching Spiderman: Homecoming on BBC1 and both Ricken and Dylan have popped up in it.

gaffs

Just finished season 1.

Amazing. One of the most thought provoking and intriguing shows that i have seen in a long time.

Last two episodes were fantastic. Cant wait for the next season.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Absolutely loved it. Seeing Turturro and Walken flirt is something I didn't know I needed in my life but apparently absolutely did.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really good show & superb finale. AppleTV has had some good series this year.

Reiver

My favourite show in a long time. People complaining that it's too slow paced don't know what they are talking about.
Apple TV are on a good run right now

Rooney in Paris

Scout
My favourite show in a long time. People complaining that it's too slow paced don't know what they are talking about.
Apple TV are on a good run right now
I mean it's a tired cliché by now, but people struggle to focus and it's the kind of show I can imagine a lot of people scrolling on their phones and missing a lot of what makes it amazing.

WPMUFC

finished the season today. I think it's by far the best show "TV" has produced in years. But I have two fears

1. They lose interest and it becomes another Mindhunter, we get really good S1 and S2 then everyone making it loses interest because "it's streaming content and doesn't really matter". The disposable nature of streaming making fantastic long running shows a rarity these days.

2. They pull a LOST and open so many "mystery" story lines that they never actually finish any and the makers get lost....;) in their own world of mindless side quests. Literally every department we seen so far has barely scratched the surface of Lumon and Petey's map is a goldmine for so many more departments to be found.

i'm far more worried that the disposable nature of streaming series may be the downfall of the show but I am absolutely hooked for season 2.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
finished the season today. I think it's by far the best show "TV" has produced in years. But I have two fears

1. They lose interest and it becomes another Mindhunter, we get really good S1 and S2 then everyone making it loses interest because "it's streaming content and doesn't really matter". The disposable nature of streaming making fantastic long running shows a rarity these days.

2. They pull a LOST and open so many "mystery" story lines that they never actually finish any and the makers get lost....;) in their own world of mindless side quests. Literally every department we seen so far has barely scratched the surface of Lumon and Petey's map is a goldmine for so many more departments to be found.

i'm far more worried that the disposable nature of streaming series may be the downfall of the show but I am absolutely hooked for season 2.
I think it would be good for 3 seasons, like The Leftovers. Keep it tight and end on a high, don't cede to the temptation of going down too many rabbit holes.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think it would be good for 3 seasons, like The Leftovers. Keep it tight and end on a high, don't cede to the temptation of going down too many rabbit holes.
Yes, The Leftovers is a very good comparison here. That show also had a lot of mystery that was introduced that didn't get definitely resolved, but it always felt like a complement to the main storyline rather than the writers throwing stuff at the wall (like Lost). Severance categorically can't explain everything, and it shouldn't try.

Spoony

The People's President
I really enjoyed Severence but the conclusion will invariably dissapoint. As long as it doesn't go too Lost eh @nimic ?

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Yes, The Leftovers is a very good comparison here. That show also had a lot of mystery that was introduced that didn't get definitely resolved, but it always felt like a complement to the main storyline rather than the writers throwing stuff at the wall (like Lost). Severance categorically can't explain everything, and it shouldn't try.
Obviously it's a very good comparison nimic that's why I made it.

No but seriously, it's the kind of concept show that will only get a satisfying ending if it's not dragged on forever. You just end up tying yourself in knots and over-complexifying stuff that works well with little explanation early on.
I really enjoyed Severence but the conclusion will invariably dissapoint.
The Leftovers didn't. If they handle it right, they can do something great.

Spoony

The People's President
Obviously it's a very good comparison nimic that's why I made it.

No but seriously, it's the kind of concept show that will only get a satisfying ending if it's not dragged on forever. You just end up tying yourself in knots and over-complexifying stuff that works well with little explanation early on.

The Leftovers didn't. If they handle it right, they can do something great.
Is Leftovers on Prime?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ok I watched this after originally only giving it an episode. It is very good, and what a finale.
I’m glad they didn’t tease too much in terms of Mark trying to talk to his sister. I could see another show throwing obstacles in his way for the whole finale but he got enough out, especially with the bit at the end.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ok I watched this after originally only giving it an episode. It is very good, and what a finale.
I’m glad they didn’t tease too much in terms of Mark trying to talk to his sister. I could see another show throwing obstacles in his way for the whole finale but he got enough out, especially with the bit at the end.
Yes that would have been a terrible tropey way to end.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also Milchick’s dancing in the defiant jazz scene :lol: so good.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Jesus Christ.... That series finale might be the most exhilarating hour of television since... Well since Andor... But you get the point.

Is the guy who plays Milcheck been nominated for anything? He is sensational.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Jesus Christ.... That series finale might be the most exhilarating hour of television since... Well since Andor... But you get the point.

Is the guy who plays Milcheck been nominated for anything? He is sensational.
His dancing at the party is so good :lol: