Kick-off
Wed, 21 February 2018 @ 7:45pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS....

Date - 21 February 2018
    Kickoff Time - 1945 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium, Sevilla

Champions League form guide

Manchester United: WWWLW

Sevilla: WLWDD

Previous Meetings

N/A

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: N/A
    Sevilla wins: N/A
    Draws: N/A

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Vincenzo Montella

Team News

Manchester United

Daley Blind and Marouane Fellaini ruled out. Zlatan Ibrahimović, Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones doubtful.

Sevilla​

Éver Banega, Simon Kjaer, Sébastien Corchia and Nolito ruled out. Joaquín Correa doubtful.

Know the opposition

Sevilla Fútbol Club, also known as S.A.D. or Sevilla (and nicknamed Sevillistas, Los Rojiblancos (The White and Reds), Los Hispalenses (from Hispalis, Seville's ancient name) or El Grande de Andalucía (The Greats of Andalusia)), is a Spanish professional football club based in Sevilla, capital and largest city of the autonomous community of Andalusia. The practice of football was introduced in Seville at the end of the 19th century by the large British expatriate population in the city, composed by owners or managers of manufacturing companies based in the capital of Andalusia. Sevilla Fútbol Club was founded on 25 January 1890 as Sevilla Foot-ball Club (in English). With that foundation date, Sevilla Fútbol Club can boast of being one of the two oldest football clubs in Spain. It shares that honor with another Andalusian club, Recreativo de Huelva. Sevilla and Recreativo also made their mark in history by playing the first official football match in Spain; Sevilla came out victorious, defeating their oldest rivals by 2-0.

During its first couple of decades, Sevilla FC had to settle for being the best football club in its region. Out of the nineteen Championships of Andalusia played in the period from 1917 to 1940, Sevilla won sixteen, while placing runners-up in the remaining three. They further added to their trophy collection by winning two Copa del Reys in 1935 and 1939. As it turned out, the two cups were a harbinger of things to come. In 1946, Sevilla won its only La Liga to date, defeating the favored Barcelona by a single point. Another Copa del Rey in 1948 marked the end of their conquests for a long time; even though the club managed to stay near the top of Spanish football for a while yet, a financial crisis in the 70s saw them being relegated to the Segunda Division on numerous occasions during the next three decades.

The new century brought some welcome changes to the club, most notably with Juande Ramos' appointment as head coach. Under his leadership, Sevilla returned to the football map by winning two consecutive UEFA Cups in 2006 and 2007. The latter season also saw them win the Copa del Rey, a feat they repeated in 2010. After being forced to sell their best players due to another financial crisis, Sevilla shocked everyone by winning three UEFA Europa Leagues in 2014 2015 and 2016. As the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Europa League are considered the same tournament, these latest triumphs saw Sevilla become the most successful club in the history of the competition. Sevilla's biggest rivals are cross-town club clubs Real Betis - with matches between the two termed the Sevilla derby. Sevilla play home games at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium, which contains a singular legend: the Spanish national team has never lost a game against an international team in this stadium.

Referee

Clement Turpin.​

el3mel

Hopefully Herrera will be ready for this. We need a 3 men midfield badly.

DDG
    Valencia - Bailly - Jones - Shaw
    Matic
    Herrera - Pogba
    Mata - Lukaku - Sanchez​

My preferred lineup. Playing Lingard as a midfielder again won't have good results..

Infordin

Supports
    Barcelona
    Banega is injured. That’s a big blow for Sevilla, he makes their midfield tick. Correa is also injured, and he’s been their most creative winger recently.

They will probably line up like this:

Yedder
    Nolito - Vazquez - Sarabia
    Pizarro - N’Zonzi
    Escuardo - Lenglet - Mercado - Navas
    Rico​

N’Zonzi and Pizarro will play together in midfield. Two traditional defensive midfielders. As a result, Sevilla likely won’t be as much of a threat going forward, but they will be defensively more solid.

United will probably win, 0-1.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    Seeing the way Sevilla attack, with a front line of four running players, this is one of the very few games where Mourinho should feature a 3-4-1-2 system, even if the other team doesn't. But that means dropping Martial, besides Mata.

el3mel

I predicted a 1-1 draw. We'll score first and they equalize later.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
    How are they doing this season? After seeing City and Liverpool absolutely spank their opponents away from home my expectations have been automatically heightened.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I liked the way we setup against Huddersfield. We could switch between 4-4-2/4-4-2 Diamond/4-3-3/4-1-4-1, to adjust if we are dominating, getting pressured etc.

Alexis Lukaku
    Pogba Matic Scott JMata
    Shaw Rojo Jones Vale
    DDG​

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    Banega is injured. That’s a big blow for Sevilla, he makes their midfield tick. Correa is also injured, and he’s been their most creative winger recently.

They will probably line up like this:

Yedder
    Nolito - Vazquez - Sarabia
    Pizarro - N’Zonzi
    Escuardo - Lenglet - Mercado - Navas
    Rico​

N’Zonzi and Pizarro will play together in midfield. Two traditional defensive midfielders. As a result, Sevilla likely won’t be as much of a threat going forward, but they will be defensively more solid.

United will probably win, 0-1.
    Nolito is also injured?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Interesting to see if they play Jesus Navas at RB against us (yep, the same one that played for City and Spain)

In their last 10 games he's featured there quite a bit. Would be nice to see Sanchez/Martial have some 1v1 battles against him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

---------------De Gea---------------
    ----Lindelof--Smalling--Jones----
    Valencia--Matic--Pogba--Young
    ----Martial---Lukaku---Sánchez----

Subs: Romero, Bailly, Shaw, Carrick, McTominay, Lingard, Mata

Get ready for Chelsea with a 3-4-3

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De Gea
    Valencia Jones Rojo Shaw
    Herrera Matic Pogba
    Mata Lukaku Sanchez
    Possibly Martial or Lingard for Mata, but tbh I want Mata there. We need his ability on the ball and composure which few of our others have.

Jaybomb

De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Lindelöf Shaw
    Herrera Matic Pogba
    Mata Lukaku Sanchez

I hope.

Loublaze

ATLien
    De gea
    Valencia Smalling Bailly Young
    Matic Pogba Herrera

Martial Lukaku Sanchez

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    Will take a boring 1-0 all day long.
    I few we will get overrun.

Oscie

Keep it tight, get a result, take it back to Old Trafford.

MyOnlySolskjaer

De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Smalling Shaw
    Matić
    McTominay Pogba
    Mata----------Sánchez
    Lukaku
    I'm pretty sure it will be this midfield 3, Mourinho confirmed this is what he wanted against Huddersfield but put Carrick in there after Paul's illness.

Last edited:

Canagel

We need to score as many goals as possible. I don't want to see a containing job. Away 1st legs are always dangerous if you don't get a win. 0-2 would be a nice result but a high scoring score draw is a good result too. With this in mind I'm going for:

De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Lindelof Shaw
    Mata McTominay Matic Pogba
    Lukaku Sanchez
    That has a good balance to it and with Lukaku and Sanchez making runs it will give Pogba and Mata time and space to create behind them. Solid in the middle and pace on the flanks with Valencia on one side and Shaw the other. McTominay just needs to keep things simple, recycle the ball to help provide a solid platform alongside Matic so that Pogba can have license to create more in the final third. I got a good feeling about this game but I'm unsure how the team selection will be. If that's the team I have no doubt we'll get the win.

Bwuk

We need to score as many goals as possible. I don't want to see a containing job. Away 1st legs are always dangerous if you don't get a win. 0-2 would be a nice result but a high scoring score draw is a good result too. With this in mind I'm going for:

De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Lindelof Shaw
    Mata McTominay Matic Pogba
    Lukaku Sanchez
    That has a good balance to it and with Lukaku and Sanchez making runs it will give Pogba and Mata time and space to create behind them. Solid in the middle and pace on the flanks with Valencia on one side and Shaw the other. McTominay just needs to keep things simple, recycle the ball to help provide a solid platform alongside Matic so that Pogba can have license to create more in the final third. I got a good feeling about this game but I'm unsure how the team selection will be. If that's the team I have no doubt we'll get the win.
    Think this is what I’d go with as well except if Carrick is fit I’d start him over McTominay.

Canagel

Think this is what I’d go with as well except if Carrick is fit I’d start him over McTominay.
    I think this kind of game is too much for Carrick and he would get found out. Besides he is too similar to Matic. They take the same space on the pitch so it has to be one or the other. McTominay although he hasn't got the passing range of Carrick has more of a physical presence and mobility that will suit this kind of game. Carrick's passing won't be needed much in this game. We need to be strong in the tackle and quick on the counter. Just my opinion..

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
    Would imagine we'll draw 0-0 or lose 1/2-0.

After all the success the other English teams have had by scoring and attacking we're bound to sit back and invite pressure in front of a raucous home crowd.

Someone is bound to bite...

kinda half-serious...

Yagami

Good post resistant
    Banega being out is such a huge plus considering the state of our midfield.

Hawks2008

They've got a negative goal difference in the league so that defence can be got at. They'll make it tough for us but we should get an away goal or two.

DdeGoat

Hope Pogba is "fit" for this one. Would love to see us put up a confident display for once. Last night was terrible viewing, we couldn't string 3 passes or keep hold of the ball in the first half. We are better than that. We got to show we are.

Team pretty much picks itself:

De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Jones Shaw
    Matic Pogba
    Mata Sanchez Martial
    Lukaku
    Would love to see a clinical 2-0 win for us.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
    Can't play like we did today, that's for sure. They will elevate their performance.

Kapardin

Away goals are a must. I don't want a 1-0 or 1-1 lead, when we had those slender away goal leads in the EL last season, we were under immense pressure when the opposition scored or came close to scoring at OT in the final minutes. My heart can't take that shit anymore.

0-2 or even 1-2 is the ideal result giving us a 2 goal cushion at the minimum. Surely we are capable of that if our players turn up.

haram

433, Lukaku, Sanchez, Pogba in the team, we should be fine.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
    I just don't see us winning at the Sánchez Pizjuán against the 5th placed La Liga side. With the football we "play" I expect tough viewing against a club with plenty of European pedigree.

Trizy

Martial needs to start even if that means Sanchez on the right.

haram

I just don't see us winning at the Sánchez Pizjuán against the 5th placed La Liga side. With the football we "play" I expect tough viewing against a club with plenty of European pedigree.
    If we can deal with the press we have more than enough on the counter. Important to see out the first 20 minutes.

kthanksbye

Can't really get myself to be excited about a competition we've got virtually no chance to win. Hope we get past Sevilla though, would be nice to make the last 8 at least.

Expect Jose to go defensive in the away leg, with a 5 man defense. Hope Pog plays well.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    You’re right.

I guess that Navas will play as right wing with Mercado at right back.
    You mean the leftwing? Yesterday, Ramírez stood for Correa after he got injured. Sarabia on the rightwing seems certain.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
    Can't really get myself to be excited about a competition we've got virtually no chance to win. Hope we get past Sevilla though, would be nice to make the last 8 at least.

Expect Jose to go defensive in the away leg, with a 5 man defense. Hope Pog plays well.
    Too much optimism there I see.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 89% of 702 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.