Kick-off
Sun, 16 August 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jonno

I'm so glad it's not Wolves. I'm sick of the sight of Wolves, we've already played them 17 times this season.

Hopefully they come out and play, have possession and we counter on them.

We might not win this, they are playing very well.

I'd be inclined to start Lingard, he has played quite well recently, offers energy and counter-style football. I'd prefer to have a world-class impact sub, like a Mason, or a Rashford to bring on after 45-60 mins.

I feel when we start our absolute best attacking line, we dont have much in the form of impact subs.

Mata did well, but I'd not start him, i'd bring him on again.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
    Don't worry folks, the football gods have already decreed that we scrape our way through this one so that we can lose to Inter in the final.

lenny_1248

This will be a fairly comfortable win, 2-0.
    I'd drop Marcus and start with a diamond though, to give us more stability and options in the middle of the pitch.
    Jules Kounde seems like a very interesting centre-back, albeit a right-footed one.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
    They’ve a Liverpool reject , a City reject and most importantly a Utd reject :lol:
    Who's the United reject?

Also, I'm very disappointed in the lack of U2 jokes in this thread. This is War.

dbs235

Sevilla play home games at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium, which contains a singular legend: the Spanish national team has never lost a game against an international team in this stadium.

.​
    This is now out of date, England beat Spain there in 2018. Rashford scored!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    We're going to be outplayed. Their midfield will dominate ours, and Suso and Ocampos will terrorise our left hand side.

We'll need another appearance from penandes or for Martial to turn back into prime Brazilian Ronaldo.
    Romero

Bailly
    Lindelof
    Maguire

AWB
    Fernandes
    Matic
    Pogba
    Williams

Rashford
    Martial
    A proper possession based team who has runners all around. I just hope we don't do the half arsed pressing and get ourselves exposed. Play defensive, go with a 3 man defence to protect Williams and hit them on counter. We will win it easily. If we make it open, Matic just wouldn't be able to dominate that midfield.

Just dont take it granted and play cautious. Its a semi final. No one cares how are we winning.
    ------------------------Martial
    -----------Pogba-----------------Fernandes
    Williams---Fred-----McTominay--------Bissaka
    ------------Lindelof---------------Bailly
    ------------------------Maguire
    ------------------------Romero

Strong bench. Take Rashford out of the firing line, have Fred aid Williams, put Pogba into his Juve sector; keep Bruno high up where his high risk, high turnover game isn't costly; have a dynamic midfield instead of a static one.

This is a bad game for Matic if they start the possession game. Greenwood is a better player to come in as an ace card for this one - he hasn't the stamina for a full game yet, so put him on in the 2nd half.

If we go with what we've been using, our midfield will be porous and our flanks are going to be defensively on tenterhooks, I think.

Compress the midfield, keep our creativity and goal threats in midfield, but high. Martial being fed consistently will be right up his alley at the moment, too.

If we're smart about this and play on the counter, think our quality will win through, if we line up with what we have been, think we'll go out having been comprehensively beaten by a possession team in very good form.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Strong bench. Take Rashford out of the firing line, have Fred aid Williams, put Pogba into his Juve sector; keep Bruno high up where his high risk, high turnover game isn't costly; have a dynamic midfield instead of a static one.

This is a bad game for Matic if they start the possession game. Greenwood is a better player to come in as an ace card for this one - he hasn't the stamina for a full game yet, so put him on in the 2nd half.

If we go with what we've been using, our midfield will be porous and our flanks are going to be defensively on tenterhooks, I think.

Compress the midfield, keep our creativity and goal threats in midfield, but high. Martial being fed consistently will be right up his alley at the moment, too.

If we're smart about this and play on the counter, think our quality will win through, if we line up with what we have been, think we'll go out having been comprehensively beaten by a possession team in very good form.
    I would bench Bruno. We just can't afford to lose the ball when we get it (because we will rarely get it).

352 - Pogba, Scot and Matic , Rashy and Martial.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Yeah I like yours. My second thought was to move Bruno alongside Martial and put Fred in. But between that and yours, I would take yours. Only thing that would sway me towards mine with Matic is that would be the same type of midfielder that Pogba played with a sitting player who can spray it about, granted Matic isn't Pirlo but its the same sort of system.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    I would bench Bruno. We just can't afford to lose the ball when we get it (because we will rarely get it).

352 - Pogba, Scot and Matic , Rashy and Martial.
    Rather put him up to support striker than bench him, if the concern is his wastefulness with the ball.

Rashford is not fit and is not playing well. For me, I'd rather he be an impact option than a starter for this one.

I also think Bruno's creativity makes him an un-droppable asset given our options. Just utilise him differently.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    Yeah I like yours. My second thought was to move Bruno alongside Martial and put Fred in. But between that and yours, I would take yours. Only thing that would sway me towards mine with Matic is that would be the same type of midfielder that Pogba played with a sitting player who can spray it about, granted Matic isn't Pirlo but its the same sort of system.
    Real concern with Matic and his mobility is making him move to cover and then being susceptible to the quick 1-2's into the spaces he's vacating. He hasn't the legs to recover himself and I feel he'd need two runners, one either side, to legislate for this weakness against a possession, pass and move team.

Problem then is he's no Carrick or Pirlo in terms of getting on the ball and quickly transitioning behind the play.

Think he's going to have a tough game of it if he starts because we're not going to cater to him.

For this game, really feel we need legs and an engine in deeper midfield cum CM around the centre circle - would prefer to not see any of our usual starting midfield in that vicinity this game (Pogbe moved forward and Matic just not playing) if we're going to be tactical about this.

I know some don't care for this competition now we've qualified for the CL, but I really want us to win it, not only for the seeding, but also for the confidence to this unit and having another European trophy in the cabinet, we shouldn't be turning our noses up at. So having said that, really hope we go in tactically astute and acknowledging our weaknesses rather than trying to bluster our way through.

Have my concerns continually starting Rashford, who isn't fit, is doing more harm than good to him, too.

bond19821982

Rather put him up to support striker than bench him, if the concern is his wastefulness with the ball.

Rashford is not fit and is not playing well. For me, I'd rather he be an impact option than a starter for this one.

I also think Bruno's creativity makes him an un-droppable asset given our options. Just utilise him differently.
    You need pace to break. When is there space to run into(and we will have given they will do a high press) Rashford would be our best player to take advantage of it. Again, that's my team though. I dont think Ole would have the balls to drop Bruno.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Inter have edged ahead slightly in front of United but I'm guessing that's because their semi is more favourable than ours.

If we both progress to the finals United will surely be favourites to lift the trophy.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    You need pace to break. When is there space to run into(and we will have given they will do a high press) Rashford would be our best player to take advantage of it. Again, that's my team though. I dont think Ole would have the balls to drop Bruno.
    Think it'll be a staid game until the 65 minute or so mark, if we have our way. No qualms with Rashford and Greenwood coming on to open up the game against tired legs after we've established some kind of presence in the game.

Martial staying high with the threat of Pogba and Bruno threading him in, plus the way he's dribbling at the moment, and you've a real potency and threat without compromising the shape of the midfield in that sweet spot between attacking midfield and the final third.

Just think our midfield needs to be compacted and stifling before we attempt to turn the screws in the second half.

You're right though: Bruno's starting for certain. Rashford probably is, too, to be fair.

Stretender

Inter have edged ahead slightly in front of United but I'm guessing that's because their semi is more favourable than ours.

If we both progress to the finals United will surely be favourites to lift the trophy.
    Not sure Mate. Antonio Conte is a proven Manager, he has won things. His team would be preferred by bookmakers to win it. Ole is an unknown quantity to bookmakers, they would not back his team over Conte's. If we were playing Wolves or Shakhtar may be but not against a team managed by Conte..They would be favourites

Rojofiam

I think Sevilla is the biggest hurdle for us. If we go to the final I can't see us losing to Inter.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Not sure Mate. Antonio Conte is a proven Manager, he has won things. His team would be preferred by bookmakers to win it. Ole is an unknown quantity to bookmakers, they would not back his team over Conte's. If we were playing Wolves or Shakhtar may be but not against a team managed by Conte..They would be favourites
    We were favourites up until this round. As I said it's only because we have a trickier semi than Inter which is why they are slightly ahead. If we get past Sevilla we will most certainly be favourites, barring some major injuries to the squad.

I think Sevilla is the biggest hurdle for us. If we go to the final I can't see us losing to Inter.
    Agreed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Dropping Bruno is basically changing the system Ole wants to play. A direct football which is the reason why we rarely care about possession. Bruno is the perfect man for it, always looking for risky passes with his creativity ability to create chance to exploit the pace of our attackers.

Dve

Watching Sevilla against Wolves, it looked to me they lack a bit of pace in their back four. If Rashford steps up, I can see us causing them trouble on the counter.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
    Rashford has been poor and could do with sitting most of this out.
    Romero
    AWB
    Maguire
    Lindelof
    Williams
    Matic
    Pogba
    Greenwood
    Fernandes
    Martial
    Ighalo.

bond19821982

Dropping Bruno is basically changing the system Ole wants to play. A direct football which is the reason why we rarely care about possession. Bruno is the perfect man for it, always looking for risky passes with his creativity ability to create chance to exploit the pace of our attackers.
    Well yes and No - Ole's success against big teams has always been by making it compact and counter. We haven't really played a big team with both Bruno and Pogba except for the FA cup which we lost convincingly. We aren't changing anything except for benching Bruno and bringing in an additional midfielder.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Well yes and No - Ole's success against big teams has always been by making it compact and counter.
    Counter attack is also part of direct football. You don't combine direct with possession. When you play direct means as soon as you got the ball back, you want to pass the ball to your creative player and let him create chances. This type of football is either end up going to opposition team or us scoring, it's different to control or total football.

We haven't really played a big team with both Bruno and Pogba except for the FA cup which we lost convincingly.
    We didn't start Pogba & Bruno together in FA Cup.

We aren't changing anything except for benching Bruno and bringing in an additional midfielder.
    We played with Bruno, Fred & Matic in midfield when we beat City & Chelsea 2-0.

bond19821982

Counter attack is also part of direct football. You don't combine direct with possession. When you play direct means as soon as you got the ball back, you want to pass the ball to your creative player and let him create chances. This type of football is either end up going to opposition team or us scoring, it's different to control or total football.

We didn't start Pogba & Bruno together in FA Cup.We played with Bruno, Fred & Matic in midfield when we beat City & Chelsea 2-0.
    Well, thats what I said. No one is asking him to do a total football. Just do whatever we have been doing in big games.

We can't do a high press as they will pick us out. Matic just can't be the only one in midfield. So the option is bench one of Bruno or Pogba and I prefer that to be Bruno. I trust Pogba to keep the ball and find the right pass than Bruno.

Fair point on that FA lineup - my mistake.

Ekeke

Sevilla have a better defensive record than we do this season. Havent scored as many goals. Ocampos is the goalscoring threat in attack fed by Banega who dominated when Sevilla knocked us out of the champions league a few years ago and we might find it hard to score.

Refresher

Red00012

Sevilla have a better defensive record than we do this season. Havent scored as many goals. Ocampos is the goalscoring threat in attack fed by Banega who dominated when Sevilla knocked us out of the champions league a few years ago and we might find it hard to score.

Refresher

Banega is now 32

A refresher of last nights game would have been more suitable

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Well, thats what I said. No one is asking him to do a total football. Just do whatever we have been doing in big games.
    We can't do a high press as they will pick us out. Matic just can't be the only one in midfield. So the option is bench one of Bruno or Pogba and I prefer that to be Bruno. I trust Pogba to keep the ball and find the right pass than Bruno.
    Highly doubt OGS would bench either, no matter if it has strategic merit.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag

You will always have high risk of losing it when playing risky passes, the reward is great.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I like this thinking a lot. If only we had TAA type attacking quality at wing back, this formation could work for many occasions. Especially like how it places Pogba and Bruno very high up the pitch.

Rashford, Greenwood, Matic on the bench to provides great options to change when needed.

bond19821982

Are Seville a very high % possession based team?
    Well, I don't know about the possession % but they are pretty decent in playing football. Typical Spanish team with emphasis on passing and movement. They will press high and has very hardworking front 3. Banega schooled the whole Wolves midfield in the last game. Huge fan of Campos as well.

Lopetegui probably doesn't get enough credit because of his RM and Spain tenures but he is actually a very good coach. This would be a tougher match than Final (if we get through).

bond19821982

You will always have high risk of losing it when playing risky passes, the reward is great.
    And if we loses it, the whole team is out of position. Teams like Westham or Bournemouth doesn't have the quality to take advantage of it but Europe is probably a whole different level.

Again, not saying he would be bad. I just see Pogba better suited for this match than Bruno.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    And if we loses it, the whole team is out of position. Teams like Westham or Bournemouth doesn't have the quality to take advantage of it but Europe is probably a whole different level.

Again, not saying he would be bad. I just see Pogba better suited for this match than Bruno.
    Did we out of position against City & Chelsea though? We beat them 2-0 with Bruno.

Last edited:

Marcus

Wolves had only 20% possession. This will be hard to watch.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw