Sun, 16 August 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
    Really hope we are keeping a tab on Campos guy. Can play anywhere in the attacking midfield and has really delivered this year. Should be cheap as well.

An alternative to Grealish?

Raven

Their style of play suits us down to the ground. There will be plenty of space for us to attack, I would have been far more worried coming up against Wolves.

EwanI Ted

Our record against decent teams in Europe is pretty poor in the last few years, that PSG game aside, so Im not too confident about this one. Especially as its Sevilla, who not only are in their element in the Europa League, but gave us a bloody nose last time we met. If I were a betting man, id actually put my money on Sevilla, but as an eternal optimist I think we have enough up front to squeeze through. No doubt it will be a tight and nervy game though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    If we play to our best we can beat anyone. If we play like we have in the last 6 to 7 games then Sevilla will win.

Lynty

Jose fan boys would hate the thought of having Ole beat sevilla and then beat Conte in the final. No argument to stand on after that .

Excited for the game. Will be tough but we are facing a Proper CL opponent so would be fun. Would have liked it to be a 2 legged tie but one leg might suit us.
    Does he really have any fan boys left?

Verminator

Ighalo to start?

There's no way he should start in a game of this magnitude.
    Yes, for a number of reasons.
    Marcus is out of form, but coming on against tired legs, when the game is stretched, may benefit him.
    He is costing us possession when we attack. The ball has more chance to stick with Ighalo, so less pressure on our defence, from constant turnovers.
    Ighalo is a better option than the current version of Marcus, and Marcus is a better option off the bench than James.

romufc

Is it me or does anyone think this is a big test for our team? We have played well since lockdown but alot of the teams we beat we should and we struggled in some games.

Now, if we want to be in the CL, games like Sevilla are the "easier" games. If we lose and find excuses for this, I really fear for us next season.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
    Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
    It’s a bit odd as I think we’re going to lose but I still can’t wait for the game! I think it’ll be a really good match, they’re unbeaten in 19 and finished 4th in la Liga so a great test to see where this team is at the moment.

You’ve also got the whole football heritage side story going on too. I rewatched that conference yesterday and the most annoying thing about it was he’d clearly prepared what he was going to say which shows he expected us to lose!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Is it me or does anyone think this is a big test for our team? We have played well since lockdown but alot of the teams we beat we should and we struggled in some games.

Now, if we want to be in the CL, games like Sevilla are the "easier" games. If we lose and find excuses for this, I really fear for us next season.
    I don't think that really matters at all. Liverpool lost in the final to Sevilla under Klopp and that didn't stop them improving.

Sevilla are going to be very tough, they play a style that we've traditionally struggled with and if we sit off them and let them dictate play like Wolves did, we will probably lose.

Hopefully it'll be cooler by the weekend also, that heat will only suit the spanish sides.

romufc

I don't think that really matters at all. Liverpool lost in the final to Sevilla under Klopp and that didn't stop them improving.

Sevilla are going to be very tough, they play a style that we've traditionally struggled with and if we sit off them and let them dictate play like Wolves did, we will probably lose.

Hopefully it'll be cooler by the weekend also, that heat will only suit the spanish sides.
    I think comparing that Liverpool side to this Manutd side shouldn't be done.

I want to believe we are a year ahead in our progress, Liverpool still got Salah, Gini that summer, we look like we have a core squad that will stay the same given 1/2 players.

The confidence we would get if we win this game and tournament will be beneficial, the aim should be to go and dominate Sevilla.

We cannot let them dictate the play, we need to start acting like a big club.

I do think the heat will play a big part.

KennyBurner

This is the game were Bruno needs to operate as a midfielder and less of a forward. Hope Ole learns from his Southampton mistake that we need a compact midfield to be able to pass fluently.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
    I think comparing that Liverpool side to this Manutd side shouldn't be done.

I want to believe we are a year ahead in our progress, Liverpool still got Salah, Gini that summer, we look like we have a core squad that will stay the same given 1/2 players.

The confidence we would get if we win this game and tournament will be beneficial, the aim should be to go and dominate Sevilla.

We cannot let them dictate the play, we need to start acting like a big club.

I do think the heat will play a big part.
    This current team is not coached to dominate big games. They just can't do it especially against a team like Sevilla, we will be put into sword if we try that.

Trust me, Sevilla would school us the possession tactics.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    This is the game were Bruno needs to operate as a midfielder and less of a forward. Hope Ole learns from his Southampton mistake that we need a compact midfield to be able to pass fluently.
    Wouldn’t say Bruno is the best passer out there is he? Loses the ball all the time trying things. That’s why we need him up the field as he’s an incredible goal threat.

romufc

This current team is not coached to dominate big games. They just can't do it especially against a team like Sevilla, we will be put into sword if we try that.

Trust me, Sevilla would school us the possession tactics.
    This is a worry, Sevilla is not a big team. If Sevilla are going to school us, I worry for our team.

Sevilla will be an average team we face in the CL.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
    Will be difficult for a few reasons, not least the psychological association that Sevilla are the best team to have ever played in the Europa League (which probably isn't true).

I see no reason why we can't beat them though. We're better man for man.

3-2 (Martial x2, Bruno pen)

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
    This is a worry, Sevilla is not a big team. If Sevilla are going to school us, I worry for our team.

Sevilla will be an average team we face in the CL.
    Yeah, and they knocked us out of that competition a couple years back. They’re a good side.

KennyBurner

Wouldn’t say Bruno is the best passer out there is he? Loses the ball all the time trying things. That’s why we need him up the field as he’s an incredible goal threat.
    We need him more in midfield so we don’t get overrun in the buildup. If the plan is for Matic to always drop back in defense then Bruno has to drop deeper. Him being so far up the pitch makes no sense given we like to play possession football.

romufc

Yeah, and they knocked us out of that competition a couple years back. They’re a good side.
    Which was the end for Jose if I recall ? Thats when the fans really started turning against him.

Also I do not mean they are an average team, in CL standards they are average.

always_hoping

Which was the end for Jose if I recall ? Thats when the fans really started turning against him.

His nonsense after match comments more than the defeat made plenty turn on him.

Not sure if they are as average as you make out. Atletico Madrid knocked out the "world champs" beating them home and away they could well go on to reach the CL final now and remember Sevilla finished the La Liga season on the same number of points as Atletico. Sevilla are a possession based team, they won't enjoy the same amount of possession as last night but I would expect them to have at least 55 to 60% of the ball on Sunday. How United perform at both ends of the field will be key. Defence and keeper no silly errors and attack has to be a lot more clinical as United won't be getting close to 14 shots on target in this game.

romufc

His nonsense after match comments more than the defeat made plenty turn on him.

Not sure if they are as average as you make out. Atletico Madrid knocked out the "world champs" beating them home and away they could well go on to reach the CL final now and remember Sevilla finished the La Liga season on the same number of points as Atletico. Sevilla are a possession based team, they won't enjoy the same amount of possession as last night but I would expect them to have at least 55 to 60% of the ball on Sunday. How United perform at both ends of the field will be key. Defence and keeper no silly errors and attack has to be a lot more clinical as United won't be getting close to 14 shots on target in this game.

I want to clarify myself. I am not saying they are an average team.

In context of the CL, they are, if you got drawn in a CL game against Sevilla, you would be annoyed to lose the game.

We have to show that we can deal with this sort of games.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    I think they’ve already decided they will play 5 at the back. The Bailly Lindelof sub was probably pre planned.
    interesting observation. What is it about Seville that would merit such an approach?

always_hoping

I want to clarify myself. I am not saying they are an average team.

In context of the CL, they are, if you got drawn in a CL game against Sevilla, you would be annoyed to lose the game.

We have to show that we can deal with this sort of games.
    TBH I'd be more annoyed to lose to Inter with an ex Chelsea manager and handful of ex United players.

sp_107

I still remember post match presser from Jose, shambolic and also after that match onwards he overlooked Pogba and digged his own hole.

HJ12

Absolutely imperative to nullify Banega. Hopefully we tweak the positioning of our midfield 3 a bit by bringing Bruno a bit deeper. Going with the same approach as the last few games where Pogba was essentially man alone in the midfield (with Bruno closer to the strikers, and Matic/Fred closer to the defenders) is asking for trouble imo.
    I'm optimistic for this though - can't wait for Sunday!

Infordin

Supports
    Barcelona
    So which of the current Sevilla players would get into our side? Jose according to his words would love to trade a few but i'm damn sure Ole wouldn't
    Banega
    Reguilon
    Kounde
    Ocampos

Gandalf

Chong and Lingard :lol:
    Williams and Rashford have offered nothing on the left lately. If Williams was defending well that would be one thing but he seriously looks in need of a break and some coaching to figure out his positioning on the pitch and Rashford just does not look fit. Wolves showed that being passive is not the way to go, Chong and Lingard will at least take people on and occupy defenders to make space for Bruno, Martial and Greenwood.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Williams and Rashford have offered nothing on the left lately. If Williams was defending well that would be one thing but he seriously looks in need of a break and some coaching to figure out his positioning on the pitch and Rashford just does not look fit. Wolves showed that being passive is not the way to go, Chong and Lingard will at least take people on and occupy defenders to make space for Bruno, Martial and Greenwood.
    You don't throw in a player like Chong who has done next to nothing in his whole career for us, and Lingard, who 90% of the forum would sell tomorrow, in a semi final!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw