Television Sex Education

Nobody watching this? The new season is out. A little bit preachy but really quite good, as good as the previous seasons anyway.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's been discussed in the main TV show thread, quite a few people watching and it's pretty much unanimously appreciated I believe.

Siorac

I love it, and yeah, third season shows no dip in quality so far.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
My favourite season so far but found the finale a bit flat.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
beginning to strain belief that they're teens.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
beginning to strain belief that they're teens.
The woman that plays Maeve has hinted she might not be back for season 4, as she "doesn't want to be 17 forever."

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
It’s a great show and Gillian Anderson is absolutely fantastic in it.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Great show, but this has been the worst season for me. It's still very good, but the head is just cartoonishly evil and it's distracting. It's like she's supposed to represent all of society's prejudices bundled up into this one figure for the students to rail against. They've made no attempt to give her any depth or redeeming qualities - or any subtlety whatsoever. I wish they'd tried a bit harder with her character. All the other characters have so much quality and are all charming in their own ways.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I love this show, there's so many good characters that I really enjoy getting to know. Except Isaac.
Visually, I really enjoy watching it too, it looks like it's set in an English countryside village somewhere in the 70s, but all the tech and slang are from present day, and the school (particularly in the earlier seasons) is quite americanised, so you're fusing together so many clashes at once but it all still works very well.

This season has been really good, I didn't expect to like Adam so much, but he's become the best part of the show for me, along with Aimee.
This season's headteacher was an abomination,
I felt that storyline with the school running out of money and all that, really let the show down overall.
Even her own personal story couldn't redeem me to her in the way other antagonists in the past have managed to develop their characters.

Siorac

Great show, but this has been the worst season for me. It's still very good, but the head is just cartoonishly evil and it's distracting. It's like she's supposed to represent all of society's prejudices bundled up into this one figure for the students to rail against. They've made no attempt to give her any depth or redeeming qualities - or any subtlety whatsoever. I wish they'd tried a bit harder with her character. All the other characters have so much quality and are all charming in their own ways.
My problem with her wasn't the character so much - it is believable enough that someone under massive pressure would lose all perspective like that. It happens. But....

The whole idea was that she is fighting to restore the school's reputation. Now, remember when the local paper put Lily's alien sex story on the fecking front page? Adn how that was seen another blow to the school's reputation? Here's the thing: the writers then asked me to believe that the public humiliation of three students somehow didn't become public knowledge. That scene was so fecked up - you tell me that none of these outspoken, bright teenagers would have got the word out? That none of the parents would have raised hell about that? Hard to believe, for me. Unless schooling in the UK is much rougher than I imagined.

I think the problem with the headteacher stems from the fact the writers have been too desperate to tick every possible diversity and prejudice box. It's all got a bit too much to contain and they rushed one character in to act as the antagonist to all of it.

Isaac is also a bit of a pointless character, but the main school kids and Gillian Anderson are brilliant.

SmashedHombre

My problem with her wasn't the character so much - it is believable enough that someone under massive pressure would lose all perspective like that. It happens. But....

The whole idea was that she is fighting to restore the school's reputation. Now, remember when the local paper put Lily's alien sex story on the fecking front page? Adn how that was seen another blow to the school's reputation? Here's the thing: the writers then asked me to believe that the public humiliation of three students somehow didn't become public knowledge. That scene was so fecked up - you tell me that none of these outspoken, bright teenagers would have got the word out? That none of the parents would have raised hell about that? Hard to believe, for me. Unless schooling in the UK is much rougher than I imagined.
Yeah, that whole scene was way OTT. That and..

Ruby physically fighting the headteacher and the kids finally defeating the wicked witch in a big song and dance number.

SmashedHombre

I think the problem with the headteacher stems from the fact the writers have been too desperate to tick every possible diversity and prejudice box. It's all got a bit too much to contain and they rushed one character in to act as the antagonist to all of it.

Isaac is also a bit of a pointless character, but the main school kids and Gillian Anderson are brilliant.
Echo these sentiments - although I liked Isaac! The show did a lot of things right, and with real charm. I'll be eagerly awaiting a fourth season.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finished Season 1 last night. Was surprised at how good it’s been as I didn’t expect much at all. But it’s a really good show with some genuinely laugh out loud moments and some emotional ones.

roseguy64

Season 4 is confirmed.

Hope it's the final one and they go out while the quality is still high. Have them finish 6th form and that be the end of it. Some of the actors might age out otherwise. Better to just wrap it up than stretch it out.

Maybe a spin-off if they want to continue telling similar stories.

diarm

Season 4 is confirmed.

Hope it's the final one and they go out while the quality is still high. Have them finish 6th form and that be the end of it. Some of the actors might age out otherwise. Better to just wrap it up than stretch it out.

Maybe a spin-off if they want to continue telling similar stories.
I could see them following the characters into college or later life. Showing how sex education isn't only something for school kids etc.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Fully caught up - agree with the others about the new headteacher. Really didn’t like it and it was a dampener on S3 for me (which I think was the weakest of the three, though still strong).

Anderson is wonderful though, a really fantastic performance from her.

Looking forward to S4.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Feck Otis and Maeve. Team Ruby all the way.
They were actually a really cute couple and quite relatable in their dynamics, moreso than Otis and Maeve. Very unexpectedly, but that's what good writing and acting does.

I enjoyed season 3 but I'll join the general sentiment about the new head mistress who was by far the weakest part of this season. It was also very strange how she was introduced in her first scene, dancing on stage as if to project a cool image, although she absolutely never tries to keep that cool image, she's really clear early on that she's just there to crack down on behaviours she disagrees on.

Really liked the new character Cal and her relationship with Jackson. And the guy playing Eric is wonderful, such a bundle of joy and happiness.

Parma Dewol

Finished season three and thought it was excellent. This show deals with a lot of complex subjects that I know nothing about, but I always get the impression it does it really well.

Some fabulous characters, from Eric to Adam's dad, and it's unlike anything else we've ever watched. There were some weak points - I wasn't a big fan of Hope or Cal, and thought Jackson was underutilised - but on the whole I'm impressed at how high a standard the show has managed to maintain over the three seasons. Already looking forward to the next.

OleBoiii

I started watching this yesterday and I'm about 4 episodes in. It's decent so far. I've put it in my "lazy and light-hearted entertainment" category alongside Ted Lasso and Cobra Kai.

But am I the only one who was seriously confused by the time period for the first 10-15 minutes? :lol: I know that Gen Z has this 90's fashion thing going on, but the interior of the houses looked very 70's and one of the popular kids looks straight out of the 80's. It wasn't until I heard a fairly modern reference that I got that it's supposed to be nowadays, but on the country side where people haven't modernized their houses very much.

Agent Red

I started watching this yesterday and I'm about 4 episodes in. It's decent so far. I've put it in my "lazy and light-hearted entertainment" category alongside Ted Lasso and Cobra Kai.

But am I the only one who was seriously confused by the time period for the first 10-15 minutes? :lol: I know that Gen Z has this 90's fashion thing going on, but the interior of the houses looked very 70's and one of the popular kids looks straight out of the 80's. It wasn't until I heard a fairly modern reference that I got that it's supposed to be nowadays, but on the country side where people haven't modernized their houses very much.
I started watching it a few weeks ago and I found the “American high school in the UK” thing very weird for the first episode, but I then got used to it and it stopped annoying me quite quickly. Apparently the lack of obvious location/era is a conscious choice to make it appeal to more people. Plus I think you can tell in some scenes that it’s paying homage to previous teen trailblazers like My So Called Life and The Breakfast Club.

I’ve just started season 3 and I’m really loving it. Easy viewing but also well written with proper characters.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Don't mention this alongside that Ted Lasso shite. This is infinitely better.

OleBoiii

Don't mention this alongside that Ted Lasso shite. This is infinitely better.
Yeah, I like this more than Ted Lasso.

My "lazy and light-hearted entertainment" category is quite broad, as you could probably tell from my examples :p

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Yeah, I like this more than Ted Lasso.

My "lazy and light-hearted entertainment" category is quite broad, as you could probably tell from my examples :p
Hehe yeah I was just being annoying (also I hate Ted Lasso and don't understand the love it gets at all). This is relatively light hearted indeed, but I feel it manages to address quite a lot of real-life topics around sexuality and identity with finesse. I think the writing is top notch.

cafecillos

They were actually a really cute couple and quite relatable in their dynamics, moreso than Otis and Maeve. Very unexpectedly, but that's what good writing and acting does.

I enjoyed season 3 but I'll join the general sentiment about the new head mistress who was by far the weakest part of this season. It was also very strange how she was introduced in her first scene, dancing on stage as if to project a cool image, although she absolutely never tries to keep that cool image, she's really clear early on that she's just there to crack down on behaviours she disagrees on.

Really liked the new character Cal and her relationship with Jackson. And the guy playing Eric is wonderful, such a bundle of joy and happiness.
I thought this too, it's like they decided to get rid of the "cool headmistress" idea after episode 1 had been wrapped up.

Glorio

Really felt bad for Ruby despite her being a despicable human

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Really felt bad for Ruby despite her being a despicable human
I think you get to see in this season that she's more than she tried to project at school, and that her life is not as rosy as she'd want people to believe. She's a teenager (in the show), and obviously doesn't deal with it well and is pretty nasty in a lot of her behaviours but has a much kinder side to her that Otis unblocks. Which makes their relationship ending even sadder, because she'd never been vulnerable in such a way.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Agr
I think you get to see in this season that she's more than she tried to project at school, and that her life is not as rosy as she'd want people to believe. She's a teenager (in the show), and obviously doesn't deal with it well and is pretty nasty in a lot of her behaviours but has a much kinder side to her that Otis unblocks. Which makes their relationship ending even sadder, because she'd never been vulnerable in such a way.
Agreed, by the end I was totally team ruby.

cafecillos

Another thing I didn't get at all was that "spooky" moment when Eric is the car with those two other lads, what the feck was that about?

Charlie Foley

Another thing I didn't get at all was that "spooky" moment when Eric is the car with those two other lads, what the feck was that about?
In Nigeria? Isn’t it he’s acting in a way the other lad is worried will out them to the taxi driver? A way of showing they have to be clandestine about it. Then when they get to the club, and the other guy disappears, Eric’s nervous he’s been brought to a trap or somewhere unsafe, which is why he starts to leave

Charlie Foley

Ruby‘s character growth was great. Brilliant character

Adam and Aimee are my favourite characters. You forget they dated. I hope things work out for Adam, maybe he gets with the french guy (Remi?) or fixes his relationship with his dad.

the new headmaster was shite. Cartoonish.
I think first 2 seasons were slightly better maybe because of who they focused on, or because of a better antagonist maybe

cafecillos

In Nigeria? Isn’t it he’s acting in a way the other lad is worried will out them to the taxi driver? A way of showing they have to be clandestine about it. Then when they get to the club, and the other guy disappears, Eric’s nervous he’s been brought to a trap or somewhere unsafe, which is why he starts to leave
Oh yes, that was it, thanks, I don't know what I was thinking.

OleBoiii

Ok, so now I've finally caught up. I still enjoy it, but I agree that with the people who think the "villain" of season 3 was really forced and over-the-top.

I don't know why, but I just feel good when I watch this TV series. I really hope that the new generation of teenagers are as open-minded and progressive as this show portraits them. Hell, even just a fraction of their open-mindedness would be major progress. And that's speaking as a Norwegian who's just 15-16 years older than the characters.

Andersons Dietician

How many people are now Team Ruby? I think I was slightly edging that way last season but I think my membership has been verified now. But then Maeve.

Andersons Dietician

Just finished Season 4 and the beginning was a bit meh but by the end holy feck it was good. Gillian Anderson and Emma Mackey are brilliant. Honestly if Emma Mackey doesn’t go on to become some award winning actress then feck.

Its very different from how it started but it’s so well written and honestly there are some lines in it that are just wow. Highly recommend