Sexual abuse of young players | Bennell gets 31 years (expected to serve 15) | Dead

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
Statement realeased by Crewe Alex,

Crewe Alexandra Football Club appreciate that concern has been expressed about the delay in the club making any comment to recent media coverage.

When things come out of the blue like this, you first want to make inquiries and reflect from within. That is the process we started last week.

We are a proud football club and would always take any allegation seriously. Any form of abuse has no place in football or society.

We have already concurred with the statements made by the Football Association, the Premier League and the Football League that described Andy Woodward's ordeal as 'heart breaking' and praised him for his 'immense courage'.

– JOHN BOWLER STATEMENT

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-22/crewe-alexandra-to-investigate-alleged-sexual-abuse-allegations/

I'm from Crewe and there's always been rumors about Bennell's abouse!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
You haven't really followed the Jimmy Saville or Rotherham case, right? Or in the case of football - there would be the Manfred Amerell case in Germany.

I am not surprised the least that something like this is happening.
Oh I know it happens, I just can't get my head around people looking the other way whilst a child is being abused.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hopefully this isn't just the tip of the iceberg, like in the entertainment world, where seemingly the vast majority of a certain era in a certain industry were doing bad things!

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
That was fecking awful from Red Issue. I know they spout fairly partisan rubbish, but that really crossed the line.

Not going to read everything, the headlines are awful enough as it is.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
How could any club turn the blind eye on this? What could Bernell possibly have done to board/directors, that made them careless about such a serious matter?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Could be as big as the Saville case

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38093957

Paul Stewart: Football sex abuse victims 'could number hundreds'

"Hundreds" of children may have been sexually abused by figures within football, former England and Tottenham player Paul Stewart has told the BBC.

Mr Stewart, who says he was abused by a coach for four years as a child, said the sport could face allegations on the scale of the Jimmy Savile scandal.

It comes as the NSPCC said more than 50 people had rung an abuse helpline within two hours of it being set up.

It was launched after four footballers spoke about being abused as children.

Former Crewe players Andy Woodward and Steve Walters, ex-Manchester City player David White, as well as Mr Stewart have all spoken out about abuse in the game.

Mr Stewart, 52, a former England international who started his career at Blackpool and also played for Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Liverpool, first told the Daily Mirror an unnamed coach abused him daily for four years up to the age of 15.

Last edited:

Bogman

I fear we are only seeing the start of it.

It must have taken some resolve from Paul Stewart and David White to carve out decent careers, despite the horrible ordeal they encountered.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
There is simply no way that someone in a position of authority didn't know about this.

Most likely scenario is that the signs a were all there but they chose to ignore it.That's just as sickening as the original crime imo. Surely that is some obstruction of justice and such individuals should be prosecuted too.

caid

Oh I know it happens, I just can't get my head around people looking the other way whilst a child is being abused.
I've kind of wondered if it was a case of not wanting to believe it?
Or just not believing it'd happen to ... well not you but ... y'know.

Just cant understand how else it could happen.
People saying there were rumours for years about it - did no one in a position of authority think to look into it? Or did the rumours just not reach them?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I worry that at some point during this, we're going to get on to the treatment of youth team players (later teens, not kids) and find that sexual abuse in the name of 'horseplay' was systemic.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sadly, with hindsight, there's an air of inevitability to all this. Groups of impressionable young lads with stars in their eyes, kept quiet by the machismo culture.

Hopefully a few heads roll. They should have been protected.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sadly, with hindsight, there's an air of inevitability to all this. Groups of impressionable young lads with stars in their eyes, kept quiet by the machismo culture.

Hopefully a few heads roll. They should have been protected.
Agreed, I was shocked when I heard this, but on reflection, it was very likely that this kind of thing would happen.
Massive props to the victims stepping forward now, like you said, they should have been protected.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
This is one of the few good aspects of modern times. Mental health issues are now discussed, being gay is normal, and speaking out is now encouraged and supported.

Savile was very lucky that he died before he was exposed.
Unless hell is real, I suppose. Saville and scum like him deserve to be exposed, I hope this starts a tidal wave against abusers.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Football sex abuse claims: More former players speak out

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38093421

This was a difficult read, Chris Unsworth says he was raped up to 100 times which is gut wrenching if true.

Football sex abuse claims: What's happened so far?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38090926

This growing into a dark cloud over football, I don't know who would take charge of an investigation into this but I hope at the very least justice can be served.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The players that have spoken out deserve huge credit for taking that step, hell of a brave thing to do

Bwuk

People sexually abusing these young players deserve a bullet in the head. Disgusting.

Oyibo

As someone suggested earlier, we shouldn't be surprised this sickness was also in football.

Was never going to be the entertainment business alone.

Oyibo

Am ashamed of Red Issue, this stuff goes beyond football rivalries and hatreds.

InfiniteBoredom

Makes you wonder about the general promiscuity of footballers. Overcompensation?

Tip of the iceberg it seems. No way he would last that long without extensive cover-up.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
This is just the tip of the ice berg. Did you know that Gary Speed and United's Alan Davies (both committed suicide) were also coached by Bennell?

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
This is just the tip of the ice berg. Did you know that Gary Speed and United's Alan Davies (both committed suicide) were also coached by Bennell?
That's mental. Apparently they were pretty brutal rapes from what's been said.

All these cases with Saville, Jackson and now this makes you think as a parent that any man working with kids could well be suspect. I'm sure plenty aren't but you'd be screptical.

Millertime88

Regardless of your religious opinions I think we can all agree any grown man found involved in this should suffer long after death.

Absolutely disgusting and shameful. Even more shameful are any adults who had heard rumors and never acted nor investigated.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
That's mental. Apparently they were pretty brutal rapes from what's been said.

All these cases with Saville, Jackson and now this makes you think as a parent that any man working with kids could well be suspect. I'm sure plenty aren't but you'd be screptical.
Wow.