Sexual abuse of young players | Bennell gets 31 years (expected to serve 15) | Dead

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The CPS said:
The CPS said in a statement: "The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Bennell will now begin and that he has a right to a fair trial.

"It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings."

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can you imagine as an investigator having to view photos or video footage of this stuff if available in a case they're working on? Horrific
A few years ago, I saw a documentary of a police officer who said he was numb to the pictures. What the feck kind of a job is that?

zeekey

A few years ago, I saw a documentary of a police officer who said he was numb to the pictures. What the feck kind of a job is that?
You just have to block it out otherwise you couldn't do the job right.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I dunno. Maybe you have to block it out at some point? I couldn't do it. I reckon I'd be throwing up all over the place.
Really, these people should not be out of prison once they've been convicted - they are beyond rehabilitation.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I dunno. Maybe you have to block it out at some point? I couldn't do it. I reckon I'd be throwing up all over the place.
Really, these people should not be out of prison once they've been convicted - they are beyond rehabilitation.
I agree.

PeteManic

The only thing I can add it that it is very sad to think how many people knew about this and did nothing.

You think of the nerves of being away from your mum and dad and the complete and utter vulnerability. It's absolutely unbelievable. I hope it's not brushed under the carpet.

diarm

Can you imagine as an investigator having to view photos or video footage of this stuff if available in a case they're working on? Horrific
I watched a documentary about it a few years back and while there were some people who could block it out and get on with it, it really affected others. I could put myself through a lot of things, but I'm not sure that's one of them.

One interesting approach in that documentary was that they approached former service men and women from the army and police force who had been injured and could no longer serve.

The idea that people could deal with their frustration at no longer being able to contribute physically by undertaking one of the toughest jobs out there and still make a real difference.

Jazz

I watched a documentary about it a few years back and while there were some people who could block it out and get on with it, it really affected others. I could put myself through a lot of things, but I'm not sure that's one of them.

One interesting approach in that documentary was that they approached former service men and women from the army and police force who had been injured and could no longer serve.

The idea that people could deal with their frustration at no longer being able to contribute physically by undertaking one of the toughest jobs out there and still make a real difference.
It is an interesting approach. Even so... it still has to be quite hard.

Jazz

The only thing I can add it that it is very sad to think how many people knew about this and did nothing.

You think of the nerves of being away from your mum and dad and the complete and utter vulnerability. It's absolutely unbelievable. I hope it's not brushed under the carpet.
Yeah I know, we were saying this earlier in the thread. Absolute madness.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why even waste space to be fair.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Life's just unfair, some nice men/women die with 45 because of cancer (just like a friend of the family within days) and these cnuts who get off lightly are out on the streets till their eighties?! Broken world...

Jazz

Well that's true. Not to mention the taxes we pay go into keeping them fed and such. Depressing.

caid

Well that's true. Not to mention the taxes we pay go into keeping them fed and such. Depressing.
I think not killing them is for our benefit, not theirs.
Castrating them appeals on some level to me but i just wouldn't want to subject someone to carrying out that punishment.

Locking them up and throwing the key away, ensuring they cant hurt people again, is the best solution when all's said and done imo.
We should be better than lowering ourselves to doing monstrous shit to punish them. Purely because i dont think its healthy for us mentally.

Bwuk

Castrating them appeals on some level to me but i just wouldn't want to subject someone to carrying out that punishment.

Locking them up and throwing the key away, ensuring they cant hurt people again, is the best solution when all's said and done imo.
We should be better than lowering ourselves to doing monstrous shit to punish them. Purely because i dont think its healthy for us mentally.
Nonsense.

I don't have a child, but I have a young nephew whom I am very close too.

If anyone ever in his life considered doing anything inappropriately to him, I'd no issue about spending the rest of my life in jail for what I'd do to them.

I think 99% of parents would feel the same.

ZAGREB RED

Eric Bristow, what a fcuking clown, how ignorant can you actually be. Someone said about his comments they were of a Stone Age mentality, to be honest, I don't think he is actually that developed.
Cretin.

ryansgirl

I doubt he'll be alone thinking that way. Don't think he has a remote understanding of the damage done to an innocent young kid- lasting damage that beating the guy up years down the line won't solve alone.
Bristow clearly has no idea and no empathy.

I remember reading Andy Cole's autobiography and even a confident lad such as him when he was young and at another club was at a loss over what to do when a staff member called him 'Chalky'.

Andy has a lot of self-respect and even as a young lad knew his own worth. He thought about telling George Graham who was then the manager but didn't. Andy wasn't saying Graham would not have listened - he just felt he couldn't talk to him about it.

We can only imagine how much harder it would be for young lads to tell any staff member about sexual abuse, with all the horrendous complications this would involve as well as the trauma already experienced.

Big Andy

Bloke
Eric Bristow, what a fcuking clown, how ignorant can you actually be. Someone said about his comments they were of a Stone Age mentality, to be honest, I don't think he is actually that developed.
Cretin.
While he worded it very wrongly, and in the most "Darts" way ever...what he said wasn't necessarily incorrect, in that once they are outside of their influence, they should be either a) blowing the whistle on them, or b) knocking feck out of them...

The fact that they don't is the issue here, and why they don't...for fear of being ridiculed, ignored, called a liar, etc...

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Just talk though, when you look at the number of revenge crimes actually committed, at least in our western countries, they are (fortunately) extremely rare.

ZAGREB RED

While he worded it very wrongly, and in the most "Darts" way ever...what he said wasn't necessarily incorrect, in that once they are outside of their influence, they should be either a) blowing the whistle on them, or b) knocking feck out of them...

The fact that they don't is the issue here, and why they don't...for fear of being ridiculed, ignored, called a liar, etc...
The bit about smashing the abuser's grille in, I get that, if anyone did that to their abuser, I'd say well done that man, but to say anyone who didn't do that is a "wimp" is beyond belief, how can anyone who hasn't been the victim of this kind of abuse be in a position to say what these poor guys should or shouldn't do in such a dismissive way is ignorance on a scale that defies belief. Many victims of abuse will no doubt have huge feelings of shame, self-loathing and even guilt, in the way that rape victims do. Speaking about them in such a flippant way like EB did shows his level of intelligence, or lack thereof. But of course, darts players are "real men" and these real men don't talk about their feelings, do they.
These guys have to live with that for the rest of their life, I'd say help them, not take the piss out of them like Mr Bristow did. I take my hat off to the guys who laid bare their experiences on the Victoria Derbyshire show, more power to them. To me, they are real men, not dickheads like Bristow.

Last edited by a moderator:

caid

Nonsense.

I don't have a child, but I have a young nephew whom I am very close too.

If anyone ever in his life considered doing anything inappropriately to him, I'd no issue about spending the rest of my life in jail for what I'd do to them.

If 99% of parents felt the same then there'd be no sex offenders in jail. They'd all have been run over in a truck or shot or whatever.

I get the sentiment and put in a similar position with a similar opportunity maybe i'd take it.
But it shouldn't necessarily mean that the law stands to one side and lets me.
I dont think it'd actually achieve much anyway tbh. I dont think it'd make me or the victim feel any better.

Classical Mechanic

Just talk though, when you look at the number of revenge crimes actually committed, at least in our western countries, they are (fortunately) extremely rare.
Most people realise they are the height of stupidity. What benefit does the abused child get from losing a parent to the prison system for the rest of their life as well.

LazyBones

Sky sports currently have an article about this on their website. Not surprising it's a serious issue and they should be highlighting it. However their poor choice of words in their headline is actually astonishing. I can't post a screen shot here (someone else might) because I don't have the required status. I'm not trying to be funny or anything here but their headline on an article about sexual abuse is, "Abuse probe continues to grow". Surely they could have used a headline with different wording to make the same point?

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
Chelsea FC in acting like scumbags shocker.

This was only last year as well.
selective reporting in a sensitive issue where quite a lot of clubs will be involved.
The guy in question there had been trying to get the police, the FA, the PFA to take notice and when they were not interested he employed lawyers to get compensation off Chelsea. Question of ethics.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
selective reporting in a sensitive issue where quite a lot of clubs will be involved.
The guy in question there had been trying to get the police, the FA, the PFA to take notice and when they were not interested he employed lawyers to get compensation off Chelsea. Question of ethics.
I'll add that it's probably not a good time for opposition fans to take pot shots at other clubs, given that this story has escalated so much over the past couple of weeks and continues to do so with more and more clubs being implicated. Apparently it's something in the region of 60 clubs now and while I'm not sure how many of those are/were professional league clubs I'm guessing that by the end of it those English league clubs that aren't implicated in any way will be very much in the minority.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
The bit about smashing the abuser's grille in, I get that, if anyone did that to their abuser, I'd say well done that man, but to say anyone who didn't do that is a "wimp" is beyond belief, how can anyone who hasn't been the victim of this kind of abuse be in a position to say what these poor guys should or shouldn't do in such a dismissive way is ignorance on a scale that defies belief. Many victims of abuse will no doubt have huge feelings of shame, self-loathing and even guilt, in the way that rape victims do. Speaking about them in such a flippant way like EB did shows his level of intelligence, or lack thereof. But of course, darts players are "real men" and these real men don't talk about their feelings, do they.
These guys have to live with that for the rest of their life, I'd say help them, not take the piss out of them like Mr Bristow did. I take my hat off to the guys who laid bare their experiences on the Victoria Derbyshire show, more power to them. To me, they are real men, not dickheads like Bristow.
Brilliantly put.

KanieKaned

Its nothing short of disgusting reading what has gone and how big of an issue this was and possibly could still be in football. How people can sit by and do nothing completely baffles me.

TheReligion

Abusive
The article today about Chelsea paying off a victim to keep quiet last year is shocking and absolutely disgraceful if true.

Basically gag money.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sadly nothing about this sick s-t shocks me anymore. We've seen this in religion, politics, schools, hospitals, the media. Its clear that before the modern media reported on this kind of thing it was going on across society. We were naive to think scandals wouldn't come out about football, a sport where children are often left alone with older men as they develop their technique.

Paedos go to places where they can get easy access to kids. Some of them spend years learning to be a doctor or a priest just so they can get close to kids. Its a lot quicker to become a youth worker or a junior coach. I'm not surprised we're finding out there were a bunch of paedos operating in football at the same time Saville was doing his nonce work.

I'm sure, ultimately, this scandal will spread far beyond England. We're not the only country with kiddie fiddlers in it. Its only a matter of time before we find out this is a global problem. That's the kind of diseased world in which we live in unfortunately.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal

The thing is the law and government don't care about protecting people. Violent and sexual criminals getting minimal sentences.

It makes me think if a populist politician campaigned on tough sentences they might well do quite well.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The article today about Chelsea paying off a victim to keep quiet last year is shocking and absolutely disgraceful if true.

Basically gag money.
The club was contacted by the victim who asked for money. Should they have refused?

It's an odd one. If i bought a business and i was then confronted with the fact that 40 years ago a kid was molested by an employee, am I responsible to pay damages?

Last edited:

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
as a Canadian, this reminds me of a similar ice hockey situation in the 1980's with an absolute scum-of-the-earth monster by the name of graham james. was a coach who completely took advantage of kids trust.

i know revenge isn't a positive virtue, but anyone guilty of such things deserves everything that karma can possibly throw at them.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The club was contacted by the victim who asked for money. Should they have refused?

It's an odd one. If i bought a business and i was then confronted with the fact that 40 years ago a kid was molested by an employee, am I responsible to pay damages?
Yes, they should've refused and told him to go to the police, as that's the right thing to do.

caid

No, but the business you bought is.
Particularly in a situation like this, where your responsibility of care will be more significant due to their vulnerability of some employees.