Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

cyberman

I'd let her stay.
Saying she can't gives the message that all children who are abused like this are a lost cause that's not worth saving.
I'd love to know if she's publicly unrepentant so she doesn't have radicalized terrorists coming after her?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
When I first read this I felt that she had given up any supposed rights to be British and shouldn't be accorded any assistance. Then again compassion is possibly the only thing that will demonstrate how different we are as a people.

Zlatattack

You lot are too soft. She's a card carrying member of a terrorist organisation. Keep her out.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm never a fan of condemning someone for the actions of when they were a youth. I don't think letting her in will deter anyone from going over there if they really wanted to. Hardly make rational decisions when brainwashed.

No idea what we would do with her if she came back though.
She'd be on benefits for the rest of her existence. Nobody will employ her.

Besides, it's not about deterring others from leaving to go over there, in fact I'd rather they did leave if they're of that mindset. But they should not be allowed back in under any circumstances.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
She'd be on benefits for the rest of her existence. Nobody will employ her.

Besides, it's not about deterring others from leaving to go over there, in fact I'd rather they did leave if they're of that mindset. But they should not be allowed back in under any circumstances.
Well I imagine she will be prosecuted, I'm just not sure on what charges.

She's a British citizen, so she should be able to willingly surrender herself. Whether or not we actually go out and get her is another discussion.

pocco

loco
I don't think the government should be able to ban British citizens from entering Britain. That's not to say the government has to try to rescue her from whatever situation she finds herself in.

If she does manage to make it back, she should be prosecuted under British law.
I read that the sentencing for terrorism has risen to 15 years. Not sure exactly what that means because it seems outrageous to me. It's not long enough imo, we're too soft.

Can anybody explain this? She'd be facing a maximum 15 years sentence, which will be half in all likelihood?

MadMike

She's a British citizen and her legal rights ensure that she can return, if at least to stand trial. Should she manage to find her way back that is, there's no obligation on the State to extract her.

Personally, I can be pretty forgiving about mistakes people make in their youth, but in her interview she seems entirely unrepentant. And she'd be a lightning rod for both Islamists in this country as right-wing nuts so she'll need constant protection from Police and most likely a new secret identity etc.

I'm very low on sympathy with her to be honest after her interview.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I read that the sentencing for terrorism has risen to 15 years. Not sure exactly what that means because it seems outrageous to me. It's not long enough imo, we're too soft.

Can anybody explain this? She'd be facing a maximum 15 years sentence, which will be half in all likelihood?
What’s “terrorism” anyway? If someone actually killed someone (or helped kill someone) while acting as a terrorist, then they’d be sent down for murder (or conspiring to commit murder) which has much higher sentences. What’s the crime you’re thinking about that carries a 15 year sentence?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
If she's unrepentant and has sympathy for ISIS then I have zero sympathy for her if we tell her to feck off or throw her in jail.

pocco

loco

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think the fact she's completely unrepentant kills any chance of forgiveness.

MadMike

When I first read this I felt that she had given up any supposed rights to be British and shouldn't be accorded any assistance. Then again compassion is possibly the only thing that will demonstrate how different we are as a people.
That last sentence is a very good point.
But why? Is compassion a trait of a certain country, race, culture or society? I'm pretty sure we can agree it's not, so it's a strange hill to die on. Or use as prime criterion of self-definition.

And showing compassion to someone who not only sees you as enemy, but has no remorse and is only actively looking to take advantage of you?! I'm not even sure that's a desirable human trait at all.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I don't think the government should be able to ban British citizens from entering Britain. That's not to say the government has to try to rescue her from whatever situation she finds herself in.

If she does manage to make it back, she should be prosecuted under British law.
Pretty much this.

Personally, I think she is nasty, totally worthless, human being and couldn't give a flying feck what happens to her. However, the above covers what should by done under the law.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
She's unrepentant and renounced any British citizenship when she joined IS.

No sympathy. No return.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

pocco

loco
Well I imagine she will be prosecuted, I'm just not sure on what charges.

She's a British citizen, so she should be able to willingly surrender herself. Whether or not we actually go out and get her is another discussion.
We can't prove anything she did out there, so in all likelihood she'll be charged with the minimum associated with terrorism. By the looks of it she'd be out of prison around her mid 20's.

MadMike

She most likely wouldn't be returning, which she has hinted at herself, if ISIS weren't on the brink of extinction,
Basically she's asking to come back but she's not even being mildly diplomatic about it. She's not even trying to feign regret for her actions that directly and indirectly cost the lives of people, including those of her own kids'.

She's basically said "I hate you all and I'm cool with people dying indiscriminately and people's heads rolling on streets... but I want you to pay for the healthcare and education of my kid who I'll then teach to hate you all too."

Yeah, feck off.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
But why? Is compassion a trait of a certain country, race, culture or society? I'm pretty sure we can agree it's not, so it's a strange hill to die on. Or use as prime criterion of self-definition.

And showing compassion to someone who not only sees you as enemy, but has no remorse and is only actively looking to take advantage of you?! I'm not even sure that's a desirable human trait at all.
Compassion is the opportunity to respond to suffering and hardship with kindness, understanding or tolerance rather than hate, revulsion, anger or fear. Compassion is the possibility to connect across cultures or religion. It's a chance to display our difference to a culture that is built on or promotes hatred and shunning.

pocco

loco
Ok, interesting. Looks as though there’s a bunch of different charges that any one individual could be accused of, even if they never do anything violent. Each of which carries up to a 15 year jail term. That would add up pretty quickly. Seems appropriate enough to me.
In this case though, wouldn't 'Failure to disclose acts of terrorism' be the only charge that you could bring to her? Depends how this is applied, but I've not heard about her attempting to recruit etc. So 5-10 years if so. It just doesn't seem long enough to me.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Meh, she took her choice and decided she despised the West and everything we stand for. Now she can enjoy the luxuries of her cave and puritan society.

MadMike

Compassion is the opportunity to respond to suffering and hardship with kindness, understanding or tolerance rather than hate, revulsion, anger or fear. Compassion is the possibility to connect across cultures or religion. It's a chance to display our difference to a culture that is built or promotes hatred and shunning.
Pardon my cynicism, but life is neither a novel nor as black and white as you make it sound. There isn't only compassion and hate/revulsion. One, or the other. Only Sith deal in absolutes.

And applying a single feeling or with the same intensity to everything is neither good nor helpful. Empathy is a good human trait, yet you can't feel the same level of empathy about every person in the world like you do for you family. It's not even feasible. You would mourn every single death. Showing compassion to somebody who wants to destroy you is not helpful, it's harmful.

You don't have to feel hatred or revulsion, you can simply not care.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Of course she should be allowed back. This is her country.
However, Child services need to take the kid the minute she enters and she should be prosecuted as a minor or whatever.

freeurmind

weak willed
She's a British citizen right? Not sure what the legal basis would be for keeping her out. Let her back in and then prosecute her for espionage or treason or whatever.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Pardon my cynicism, but life is neither a novel nor as black and white as you make it sound. There isn't only compassion and hate/revulsion. One, or the other. Only Sith deal in absolutes.

And applying a single feeling or with the same intensity to everything is neither good nor helpful. Empathy is a good human trait, yet you can't feel the same level of empathy about every person in the world like you do for you family. It's not even feasible. You would mourn every single death. Showing compassion to somebody who wants to destroy you is not helpful, it's harmful.

You don't have to feel hatred or revulsion, you can simply not care.
Obviously this is costing you too much effort if you are going to try and suggest that compassion is black or white. It takes a bit of effort, true, so much more than simply deciding not to care. I don't know if we should grant her any help. I just feel that we should give a human being the time of day.

Twitter thread on the issues surrounding Begum

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Thread covering all the issues:

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Basically she's asking to come back but she's not even being mildly diplomatic about it. She's not even trying to feign regret for her actions that directly and indirectly cost the lives of people, including those of her own kids'.

She's basically said "I hate you all and I'm cool with people dying indiscriminately and people's heads rolling on streets... but I want you to pay for the healthcare and education of my kid who I'll then teach to hate you all too."

Yeah, feck off.
To be fair the raising of the child will happen that way anyway. Would you not be better to bring her back with child and try to help educate both?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think it's an issue of forgiveness etc. For me it is a matter of principle. Should countries be able to ban their own citizens from entering the country?
She should be prosecuted in Syria or The UK.

NinjaFletch

I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

On the one hand I completely get the emotional reaction, but on the other hand I kind of think she's in her own way a bit of a victim. She seems stupid and unrepentant, but she was a 15 year old girl when she went and has been subjected to four years of grooming and brainwashing and we know little about how she was radicalised to the extent that she went.

I don't know how far that should be taken in to mitigation though, most of us have done stupid things at that age. Few of us have joined a death cult.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Just realised she's 9 months pregnant. She won't be flying anywhere. The kids is not going to be born in the UK, whatever happens. Apparently the father is Dutch, so the kid can have dual citizenship. Should the kid be denied UK citizenship because of what its mother did?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
If she can find a way to get back without assistance, that's one thing. Helping her to get back is a step too far. She was resourceful enough to manage to get out there as a young teenager, it's not like she was abducted.

She can't have her citizenship taken away as that would leave her stateless, which can't happen under international law. Really, this is an instance where her family have to get involved in actively getting her home.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
She’s just a kid but it’s one hell of a thing to do. I’d say let her back in, let her have the baby on the NHS, have social services take it off her, then deal with the mother. Either send her back or charge her if she stays.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I think the fact she's completely unrepentant kills any chance of forgiveness.
That's kind of where I stand on it, having done a bit more reading & thinking about it a bit. If she'd been found two years ago in a safe country/location & was wholly repentant and willing to accept she's made a mistake, then bringing her back wouldn't even be a discussion, as the overwhelming majority of people, myself included) would want to bring her back.

But the fact that's she's unrepentant until the end, no doubt waving that ISIS flag until the very last moment, and clearly still believing in the idea of what ISIS proposed? If she wasn't 9 months pregnant, it'd be a no brainer for me. I'd just leave her there, & if she tried to make it back (which she is entitled to do*), prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law.

But... She is 9 months pregnant, and she is a British citizen. All I hope for, moreso than anything else, whether she ends up back in the UK or not, is that her unborn child gets taken the feck away from her. Let a more balanced & normal human being raise the kid that's done absolutely nothing wrong.

*Like I said before, the fact that we're seemingly unlikely to put resources into "rescuing" her means we're very likely to see a GoFundMe campaign of some sort, giving her the necessary means to get back here on her own... Actually, has it started yet?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Apparently she is entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship. I can see the British government trying to lay her on their door, or at least use that as a justification for keeping her out of Britain.