Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Fantastic news. Hopefully she swings with a rope around her neck wherever she ends up.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think it's scandalous that the Home Sec can unilaterally strip someone of their citizenship.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Think it's scandalous that the Home Sec can unilaterally strip someone of their citizenship.
Well the judge said he could do it as she is of Bangladeshi descent and can claim citizenship there. What a great message that sends out to all the British citizens who have parents who were born abroad.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Priti Patel has made her bed already with pre election claims re terrorists. She faced criticism over the early release of the Streatham attacker. So now the Tories need to be making a statement and sticking to it.

stepic

Well the judge said he could do it as she is of Bangladeshi descent and can claim citizenship there. What a great message that sends out to all the British citizens who have parents who were born abroad.
and why should Bangladesh have to deal with her? it's an absurd ruling. disgraceful stuff all round, but the majority won't care cuz feck terrorists rah and all that.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Enemy combatants don't usually get a trial.
I don’t think that term is used anymore. Regardless, I don’t think it’s right for the British government to strip someone of their citizenship without a trial (or at all but that’s a different discussion).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I know. They can't even aid and abet terrorists now without the threat of losing their citizenship. What's the world coming to?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I recall that the Bangladesh government said she'd have to apply for citizenship and they wouldn't grant it. This mantra that the UK government keeps repeating about her right to Bangladeshi citizenship isn't accurate.

She should be brought back to the UK and tried for the offences she's committed. No-one wants her, of course, but someone has to deal with the situation.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I know. They can't even aid and abet terrorists now without the threat of losing their citizenship. What's the world coming to?
Yeah, completely miss the point.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Syrian Kurds don’t levy the death penalty. They’ll likely lock her up for life.

I’d take that as I Can’t imagine a Syrian prison is a good place to be at the best of times, I’d much rather she live out her days there than the 3* bed and breakfast she’d get in our prison.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
This was just the UK dodging its responsibilities and passing them on to countries that don't have the same resources to handle the situation or countries where she will not get a fair trial. If she was british, you had to get her back and put her on trial. Anything else is just irresponsible.

RedTiger

Half mast
I read a story about an Indian couple in the UK who paid to have their adopted son murdered in India for insurance payout. The UK courts have blocked their extradition to India because they would face the death penalty and that is against the European human rights act. If shamima is sent to Bangladesh then I think she won't survive longer than a month before she's done in by state security forces.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is that even true? Her mom was British too and claimed to not have dual citizenship. Bangladesh also clarified that mom was not a citizen there.

The whole "let's shift it to Bangladesh" is just awful.
A tribunal ruled that Ms Begum could be stripped of her nationality because she had not been left stateless.

The Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC), a semi-secret court which hears national security cases, said she could instead turn to Bangladesh for citizenship.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c347vzp58nzt/shamima-begum-case

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This was just the UK dodging its responsibilities and passing them on to countries that don't have the same resources to handle the situation or countries where she will not get a fair trial. If she was british, you had to get her back and put her on trial. Anything else is just irresponsible.
What do you mean ‘ was British?’ She is!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC), a semi-secret court which hears national security cases, said she could instead turn to Bangladesh for citizenship.
I'm questioning this. Did a basic lookup and only people who have at least one Bangladeshi parent are eligible to obtain citizenship. Neither of SBs parents are Bangladeshi. Bangladesh FM also confirmed this.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I support what the government are doing RE this situation in regards to doing everything they can to stop this cnut returning. I am surprised that she didn't win her first appeal though given that practically she has been made stateless after the Bangladeshi government wiped their hands of her. Regardless of the verdict in this appeal it is quite clear that both sides will continue to appeal so will just go on rumbling through the courts until it reaches a conclusion or until she's dead.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I read a story about an Indian couple in the UK who paid to have their adopted son murdered in India for insurance payout. The UK courts have blocked their extradition to India because they would face the death penalty and that is against the European human rights act. If shamima is sent to Bangladesh then I think she won't survive longer than a month before she's done in by state security forces.
Yeah, I think this was all done for publicity by the right wing government.

My point was more about the long term implications, what if one day a really right wing extremist government manages to get in and starts stripping people of their citizenship just because their parents are from a different country.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I support what the government are doing RE this situation in regards to doing everything they can to stop this cnut returning. I am surprised that she didn't win her first appeal though given that practically she has been made stateless after the Bangladeshi government wiped their hands of her. Regardless of the verdict in this appeal it is quite clear that both sides will continue to appeal so will just go on rumbling through the courts until it reaches a conclusion or until she's dead.
Bangladesh had nothing to wipe their hands with, she's got nothing to do with them.

RedTiger

Half mast
Yeah, I think this was all done for publicity by the right wing government.

My point was more about the long term implications, what if one day a really right wing extremist government manages to get in and starts stripping people of their citizenship just because their parents are from a different country.
It's a slippery slope covered in oil

ivaldo

You clearly don't.

So what would you do with a British citizen who does not have ties to another country?
That would be you.

Let them die in a ditch? Deliver her to ISIS? I understand perfectly well the legal entanglements of trying to remove her citizenship, but that doesn't mean I give a damn about any miscarriage of justice for individuals like of her.

To think that has any ramifications for people with duel nationalities or foreign born parents who don't support and aid in the deaths of countless innocent people, is daft.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That would be you.

Let them die in a ditch? Deliver her to ISIS? I understand perfectly well the legal entanglements of trying to remove her citizenship, but that doesn't mean I give a damn about any miscarriage of justice for individuals like of her.

To think that has any ramifications for people with duel nationalities or foreign born parents who don't support and aid in the deaths of countless innocent people, is daft.
Why not strip citizenship.?Oh..

ivaldo

Why not strip citizenship.?Oh..
Oh that would be horrible! Imagine aiding in the deaths of dozens of innocent lives and then having your citizenship revoked. The injustice of it all!

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Oh that would be horrible! Imagine aiding in the deaths of dozens of innocent lives and then having your citizenship revoked. The injustice of it all!
I get it, your argument is emotional, no point taking this discussion further.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I don't think we should strip her citizenship and saying that she can be a Bangladeshi citizen because her parents (who I believe are also British citizens) were born in another country. It isn't football. In any case, we haven't done it before. Levi Bellfield was Romani and I'm fairly sure he has ancestors born outside the UK, but he gets the relatively cushy prison life in the UK.

But we don't have to extradite her. She committed the crimes in Syria, let Syria try her.