Film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Sylar

Finally got to see it. Not sure how I managed to avoid spoilers. This is probably the longest ive waited from its release to seeing a MCU movie in the cinema since maybe Phase 1?

Really enjoyed it. I love the links to previous movies without relying too much on it (eg wong, or talking about the snap).
It had good moments and the CGI was done so well.

The midcredit scene is a nice hint to something coming for the overall MCU story (and who the beacon calls)
And the post credit is a nice play to the sequel.

Just seen this, thought it was fantastic. Although like others:

What is the point of Ben Kingsley :lol:
Its great, especially given the whole Mandarin story and linking it to Iron man 3. Dont know if you ever saw the MCU shorts they did (where this fake actor mandarin is pretty much captured to hint at an actual mandarin out there, not the shitty one we got in IM3).
but from that, its a nice way to close the loop

choccy77

Saw this the other night, it was okay and funny in parts.

Couple of things, it was very noticeable how a "Chinese" based film, used the word Dad throughout, rather than father, which is more traditional, than the American terminology.

You could easily see the stunt actors in some of the scenes, it got to a point it was just funny.

Im hearing it's highly likely this film will never be seen in China.

Simu Liu is now being called up on his controversial comments on Reddit from 2015.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just managed to watch this. Decent but very average movie. was all over the place both in plot, lore and filmmaking. They stayed true to every trope we can expect in Chinese lore based movies with nothing new or refreshing. Awkwafina's character started off brilliantly before they decided to ruin everything and shoehorn her into a sidekick/love interest. Shang Chi is just the Marvel's version of Dragon warrior (and unfortunately Po is much better at this!)

Secret realm, mysterious gate, legendary guardians (who actually suck big time), dragons, a wuxia training sequence...all that was missing is the chopstick fight!
Will they ever tie the Chinese lore of dragons with the Marvel's lore of ancient being?
How did the Ten Rings get those special shock weapons tech?
Archery is one of the most difficult sports to become proficient in. So making it a pivotal moment in story (made worse making it a joke at the end) is a mjaor roll eye moment.
Also does Shang Chi do anything good? He randomly gets control of the rings, nearly destroys the world when he chooses to hang on to his sister rather than defeat the villain, and finally does some fancy air dance to kill a already defeated beast!

Unam333

Loved the movie. Shame the movie wasn't released in Chinese cinemas.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really enjoyed watching it. It was simple for the most part, but the action scenes were well done, and the main character was good.

Tarrou

I haven't seen most of the superhero films, but I enjoyed this more than any other I've seen

it was tonnes of fun and had decent character development for a film like this

Awkwafina is always charming and watchable

and Tony Leung is :drool:

Ben Kingsley though wtf was that

SoCross

Meh, thought it was a very average movie. Lower rungs of the Marvel releases for me.

b82REZ

Watched it on Disney+ with the Imax Enhanced.

The Imax picture was really impressive on my TV.

The film was alright. Pretty shallow, even for a Marvel film. On the other hand the action scenes were some of the best. Perfect Sunday afternoon, popcorn flick though.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant film, really enjoyed the fight scenes & cinematography.

Stringer

Thought this was a mix of good action scenes and cringey attempts at humour; Awkwafina is particularly horrendous in that regard. Tony Leung was easily the best character and I wish they had spent more time developing the relationship between him and his son as the final confrontation involving them felt a bit lacking.

Spoony

The People's President
Tony Leung is great...I was cringing for him because the film was awful even for Marvel standards.

mu4c_20le

Some wasted opportunity in here, especially for Sima and Awkwafina's characters, the latter of which I barely remember outside of the valet and bus scenes. They played it way too safe with the writing. Directing was meh. Wasn't Captain America bad, but definitely felt like they could have done so much more with that cast.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It was okay. Visuals were fantastic though.

stepic

The father is meant to be 1000 years old and he falls for the whole ‘pretending to be a loved one from beyond the grave’ trick. Jeez how gullible can you be. Ruined the character for me. Dumb ass

Comedy relief girl was good but turning her into an expert marksman in like a day was shit. And wtf would they invite her on his big adventure at the end? She’s just a civilian.

Felt they had too much story to fit in.

Is there ever an origin story without a TRAINING MONTAGE?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Finally watched this. Was pretty cool, but it mostly makes me want to rewatch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and House of flying daggers and stuff.