Film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

0le

Black Panther with an East Asian cast and Dr Strange set.

Sylar

This looks like a better Iron Fist. The fight scenes look like they will be awesome.

Drifter

American
Looks good. Hopefully this may in the future lead up to the reintroduction of Iron fist, Daredevil. Luke Cage.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Aesthetically looks like it might rival Black Panther for best in the MCU. Getting Tony Leung to play the Mandarin is an absolute coup - high hopes for him as villains in the MCU have often flattered to deceive.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I’m definitely looking forward to it but sometimes those early reviews aren’t very reliable.
More than sometimes, they're always giddy idiots. Am looking forward to this though and I'm hoping the martial arts scenes live up to expectations.

Sylar

I’m definitely looking forward to it but sometimes those early reviews aren’t very reliable.
Ive seen early reviews for some of the DC movies where people basically said the whole cinema stood up and applauded (think it was BvS and the first Suicide Squad)...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I like Simu Liu from Kim's convenience. But something looks off seeing him playing serious character.

Trailers looks ok. Tony Leung doesnt look menacing enough as Mandarin. Akwafina?

I think it'll be ok. Nothing extraordinary but hardly bad. Fingers crossed

Drifter

American
NME
Martial arts blockbuster kickstarts Marvel's next phase: "Like so many MCU movies, Shang-Chi slightly overbakes its action-packed climax, but Cretton peppers the overwhelming visual effects with some sneaky sprinkles of levity. It all adds up to a smart and satisfying superhero romp that suggests Marvel is nowhere near ready to relinquish its hold on the genre."

The Mirror
Marvel's best solo film in years: "With the international scope of a James Bond film, a charismatic lead and a tender balance of cinematic homage and genre requirements, Shang-Chi announces another ground-breaking figure to the Marvel universe. Here's hoping that we don't have to wait too long for Shang-Chi's next adventure."

The Guardian
Marvel's martial-arts action-fest is spirited fare: "This is an action-adventure fantasy in which the stylised, anti-gravity qinggong fighting styles of wuxia fiction are effectively brought into alignment with Avenger-type superpowers. It's an entertaining, if generically pretty familiar MCU movie with incidental funny roles and ironic quirks to provide approachability and relatability and leaven the seriousness."

Chicago Tribune
A sharp, full-bodied addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe: "Director/co-writer Destin Daniel Cretton's film accomplishes something akin to what Black Panther accomplished in better times. It broadens the scope of superhero representation and storytelling. It offers an adversary, and a father figure, of teasing ambiguity and complicated rooting interests."

The Times
Liu deserves to become a star: "The latest Marvel blockbuster is based on a character so obscure he's probably unfamiliar to all but the most completist comic-book fans. It doesn't matter in the slightest. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is one of the most enjoyable, wittily scripted films Marvel has produced. Marvel films can often feel like a piece in a larger puzzle, rather than a self-contained story. No such issue here."

Empire
A hugely entertaining step in the right direction for Asian representation: "Liu knocks it out of the park as Shang-Chi, adding a tad of levity to the known-to-be-serious comic book character. As expected, Awkwafina hits all the comedic cues while remaining Shang-Chi's anchor through his journey of self-discovery. The chemistry between Liu and Awkwafina is palpable, exuding a real sense of a found family. Given what's on show here, the future for Shang-Chi and Asian representation in the MCU looks bright."

The New York Times
House of Hidden Dragons: "The film uses the superficial markers of Asian culture and filmmaking without presenting anything unique in its Marvel take on that tradition. Increasingly, as the M.C.U. finally attempts to diversify its roster, it risks delivering more mediocre, trope-heavy token-hero films. I hope I'm wrong, because Shang-Chi - and the female heroes, queer heroes and heroes of color who will hopefully follow - deserve a lot more."

dinostar77

Just seen this. Was quite watchable and entertaining. Especially for a character i know absolutely nothing about. There are 2 cut scenes at the end so stick around for those.

Wierd having a origin movie but this is phase 4 so its to be expected if alittle wierd.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just seen this. Was quite watchable and entertaining. Especially for a character i know absolutely nothing about. There are 2 cut scenes at the end so stick around for those.

Wierd having a origin movie but this is phase 4 so its to be expected if alittle wierd.
One question; do they let the fight scenes play out or is it a typical Hollywood affair where they have an edit every two seconds during a fight scene?

dinostar77

One question; do they let the fight scenes play out or is it a typical Hollywood affair where they have an edit every two seconds during a fight scene?
The first fight scene in the movie with shang-chi is probably the best. Its obviously not RAID 1 & 2 where the fight scenes are continuous one take choreographed masterpieces.

ChrisNelson

Went to watch this last night, it’s better than Snake Eyes which is what I would consider its peer over recent times.

But I still think it could have been better, some iffy continuity at times and some things just a bit silly even by comic book standards.

Especially
Ben Kingsley’s exaggerated character
!

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Pretty average. Looks nice and some of the fight scenes aren't bad. Feels more of a mythical fantasy than a super hero film but just really forgettable and Awkwafina does Awkwafina things, which if it annoys you like it does me then is a bit of a problem.

lilcurt

I really enjoyed it for what it was. Essentially an origin story for the next Marvel hero. Far better than other recent individual stories such as Captain Marvel, Black Widow and even Black Panther (although that is a close one).

lilcurt

Anyone who isnt a watch-anything-Marvel person recommend this?
I do "watch anything Marvel" but being an origin story in a part of the world not covered so far by the MCU it is easy to dive into. I think without the Marvel aspect it would still be an entertaining eastern fantasy romp.

Adamsk7

Loved it. One of the better Marvel origin stories. Thought the family complexities were handled very well.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I really liked it. Incorporating some Wuxia-style action and other Chinese (and some broader Asian) mythology was well done.

AaronRedDevil

Wow I'm very surprised by the reaction on here. Thought it'd be a basic marvel movie with crap fighting. Going to see it Friday. Looking forward to it.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Just came from it, thought it was a great movie. Really enjoyed it, knew nothing about it.