Shaw confirms ref bottled the penalty

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Stinks of a cover up, this. If Atwell didn’t say what was alleged then Shaw would have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Players and managers have been charged for significantly less.
Well if it went to a charge then presumably the recording will be listened to by more ears which you’d have to assume would not reflect well on the FA.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
That's a strange interpretation of moving on when your club's website mentioned it the day before the return fixture 3 months later :houllier:
Since so much fuss is being made about this one why not bring that up as well while we are at it, you know the one that didn't even get the courtesy of a VAR check?
I don't remember any Chelsea player going to the press to blab about what the ref said or didn't say. It appears if Mou was right about one thing in his time about United, it was Luke Shaw.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Since so much fuss is being made about this one why not bring that up as well while we are at it, you know the one that didn't even get the courtesy of a VAR check?
I don't remember any Chelsea player going to the press to blab about what the ref said or didn't say. It appears if Mou was right about one thing in his time about United, it was Luke Shaw.
:lol:

Berbasbullet

Struggling to understand what this even means. :lol:

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: True the irony

Was he even aware of what he was saying himself?
It was mentioned as part of a pre-match report on events that happened in our previous meeting with you guys, cause shock horror it was an event that happened.
The club and players didn't spend days after that claiming conspiracies, disclosing referee dialogues and managers feigning outrage. That's what I meant by we moved on, didn't say it was forgotten and wiped from memory.

rotherham_red

So even you aren't over the Azpili incident! :lol: So much for that last post of yours ;)

Your club deemed it worthy enough to be mentioned 3 months after the incident itself. That is all I'm saying. If you were over it as a club and a fanbase it would not even be in the footnotes of the conversation. Club previews are some of the most tedious things to read (or at least they are at Utd) but you guys sought fit to mention that incident in the build up to the next game. Utd certainly didn't do that with Drogba's offside goal, or when Luiz was acting a cnut on his debut back in 2011. And they were both much more egregious than a 50/50 challenge, which, if I remember correctly, was repeated at the other end in the same game.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm still waiting for an investigation into why Macheda's handball goal was allowed to stand back a decade or so ago!

To quote the best band to come out of Manchester, "never forget".

acnumber9

The club and players didn't spend days after that claiming conspiracies, disclosing referee dialogues and managers feigning outrage.
Have Utd or theirs players spent days doing that or did they mention it straight after the game?

“After the game, Lampard said he didn't know why VAR wasn't consulted.

"Yeah, holding is allowed, but headlocks don't go on," he told BBC Match of the Day. "I don't know why VAR didn't take long and there's also a monitor to look at. I think if the referee goes to the monitor he gives a penalty.

"Lets see [how the season goes]. [The unpredictable start is] certainly an affect of teams that went into Europe [at the end of last season]. The lads got hardly any time off and we added new players. I don't like to make excuses, but it's true."

Azpilicueta agreed that the play should have been reviewed.

"I felt arms around my neck and shoulders. The referee can make the decision, the VAR is there [to help]. In any situation the referee takes the main decisions and the monitor is there for him to help. It was 50-50 so why not take 20 seconds to review it?" he said.”

In a different press conference, Lampard said:

"Without a doubt, I'm interested to see what everyone else says,” he said, following October’s draw. “I spoke to the lads about how many penalties they get here, over the last two seasons they're miles ahead in Europe.”

Before our FA Cup Semi Final:

“There is always a human element to VAR, still, and clearly they have to make a decision,” Lampard said. “The confusing thing about some of the recent ones, and the one on Thursday night, is that it’s a very, very clear and obvious decision that was wrong and didn’t get reviewed and changed. A few of those have happened and that is strange. I would like to think that with VAR you have to be level-headed. Some might go against you or not. But we seem to be in a period where, in terms of Manchester United, they’ve got a few in their favour.”

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
So even you aren't over the Azpili incident! :lol: So much for that last post of yours ;)

Your club deemed it worthy enough to be mentioned 3 months after the incident itself. That is all I'm saying. If you were over it as a club and a fanbase it would not even be in the footnotes of the conversation. Club previews are some of the most tedious things to read (or at least they are at Utd) but you guys sought fit to mention that incident in the build up to the next game. Utd certainly didn't do that with Drogba's offside goal, or when Luiz was acting a cnut on his debut back in 2011. And they were both much more egregious than a 50/50 challenge, which, if I remember correctly, was repeated at the other end in the same game.
Lets not forget this incident from same game

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea

Well I actually totally forgot about it until it was mentioned yesterday on a Chelsea fan forum, with the Chelsea fc official pre match report and Shaw having to redact his statement.
My point is, no one dueled on it to claim some rubbish conspiracies, certainly no one from the club unlike Manchester United...that mostly is the realm of fans. You mention past events in pre-match posts for matches between two teams, every one does this even commentators during the game itself. How is a pre-match report on a website even the fans themselves don't read any different?

The Purley King

Shaw and ole not being charged means it is patently obvious they are both telling the truth.

Atwell should never referee again after this but as usual nothing will happen.

roonster09

Scout
That was the exact incident I was thinking of. We could easily have mentioned it pre-game on Friday/Saturday, but didn't.

Pro tip: THAT is the definition of being 'over it' @Mount's Goatieson ;)
Actually it's hilarious all the mental gymnastics with "Well what happened in last game will be mentioned in pre game article", they are so classless that they even mentioned our Newcastle game, pointing out nothing incident.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Actually it's hilarious all the mental gymnastics with "Well what happened in last game will be mentioned in pre game article", they are so classless that they even mentioned our Newcastle game, pointing out nothing incident.

That shouldn't be allowed.

Berbasbullet

Just small time from Chelsea, you’d think they’d be over it but apparently not.

GwilDor

Are you really? After the Sheffield United game, the refs agreed they made the wrong decision for both our disallowed goal and their allowed goal. Yet, it was quickly brushed under the rug. I'd think there has been or will be any mention of that or the Mount kick out.
I tried, not very hard, but i tried, to find a clip of this yesterday, but couldn’t find it. Anyone got a clip of this?

ex and

But who can forget the penalty against us for hitting Carrick’s hand in 2008!
If this was given, then Sunday’s was a 100% penalt.

Brightonian

It was mentioned as part of a pre-match report on events that happened in our previous meeting with you guys, cause shock horror it was an event that happened.
The club and players didn't spend days after that claiming conspiracies, disclosing referee dialogues and managers feigning outrage. That's what I meant by we moved on, didn't say it was forgotten and wiped from memory.
Probably because no match official admitted he only didn't give it because he didn't want a fuss...

90 + 5min

Now trying to make Shaw look like the bad guy. Why don't the FA just put out the recording if what Shaw said was not the case and then ban Shaw? For some reason, this situation has really really pissed me off than anything else in football recently.
Nothing to see. Just look the other way. Everything is fine. Just close your eyes when you see wrongdoing.

It's as much a penalty as Maguire's bearhug on Azpi in Old Trafford. Move on....we did.
Did you? You club hade some sort of victim mentality on the official site.

DoomSlayer

The amount of WUMing I continue to see from oppo fans is astonishing. :houllier: From the scousers, the rent boys, the German "Protect the Bundesliga" Association, Leicester fans since we started going for Maguire, Spurs fans since they had a few good years under Pochettino.

It would be a glorious day when we are back on top and make no mistake about it - we'd make it damn sure that nobody forgets that moment. :keano:

Red71

We have only ourselves to blame for not taking the 3 points in a game they were there to be taken, we barely tested a backline consisting of Rudiger, Christansen and Azpi. Yes on another day we would have gotten a penalty and maybe won, or just as easily lost.

Yes there have been some shocking decision against us, but I don't think it would have made massive difference. We are 12 points behind City because we are miles behind them as a team, not because of refs. The thing we should work on, is winning mentality and putting pressure on refs, we hardly ever do that, and that's why we got fecked yesterday for the penalty, Greenwood was the closest and he just continues his run, instead of reacting.
Thanks for clarifying. I disagree that we only have ourselves to blame for not getting 3 points though. The referee also has to take some responsibility for not giving us what we should have been given i.e. a pretty straight forward chance to score. Having a 1 - 0 lead in what was always going to be a tight game between top 4 (6?) rivals are often crucial. They always have been over the years and even Shitteh this year, the dippers last year, had games where they weren’t on it but a decision or a pen kept their momentum going.

The shite decisions we’ve seen over the last 6 weeks or so have done the opposite. They’ve really cost us in terms of results and points. Yeah, we are over 12 points behind our neighbors now but we almost certainly would have been closer but for a couple of shocking decisions in the space of a few games.

As I’ve said in a previous post, you can moan about mentality, brushing it off etc but momentum plays a big part of the winning psyche...we have been badly derailed.

I don’t disagree about not putting enough pressure on though...that is one of my pet hates too. We have to start challenging more and bringing fouls against our players to the refs attention...we are too nice too often...