Shaw confirms ref bottled the penalty

Withnail

Shaw did good, those kind of comments will make fuss about the bad decision and referees will be preassured to mark in our favor. That's how it works, it shouldnt but it is. We were harmed in the match against Sheffield no fuss was made and errors kept happening.

In a 50-50 decision the preassure will make the difference, all the team manager, coaches and players must do their work so we win those 50-50 calls.
Yeah hopefully we'll get what we deserve from now on.

Football is absolutely ridiculous though in some ways. We were getting penalties as other teams were commiting fouls in the box. Is there any other sport were the team being awarded penalties is deemed to be the one that deserves suspicion?

arnie_ni

How? We are 12 points behind not 2 and it's not that game scarred us forever. If it did then we don't have what it takes simple.
We were first at that Time weren't we?.

Dropped 3 points against Sheffield United
2 against arsenal
2 against Everton
2 against wba

It started a run of 9 dropped points and we are 8 behind City now.

It was title defining in a way because We bottled it since.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Now that the FA has decided no action, United should officially complain to FA about the Chelsea pre-match report and its effects.
Brushing it under the carpet is not an option
What impact do you honestly think a match preview on the Chelsea website would have on reffing decisions? Who the hell even looks at match previews on official sites? I don't and I'm a Chelsea fan who pretty much lives online.

Chelsea's coverage via their own website and TV channel is laughably biased and has been for years.

Foxbatt

Though not shocked, I am surprised that even Ole was not charged. That is so unlike FA.
They can't because the United lawyers will defend it and ask for audio recording. Everyone knew it touched a hand. Chelsea players thought it was Greenwood and most of them was shouting for handball.
I am sure they would have called Woodward and told him the situation. Sweep it under the carpet.
I have never seen a man who can sit on the fence better than Dermot Gallagher. He should become a politician.

Hughie77

That I agree with. If you remove 2 points off city for that villa farce, add to us 4 points from Chelsea and Sheffield that gap goes from 12 to 6 points which is a lot different. Doesn't work exactly like that but it's an indication of how crucial all these decisions are when they start to add up.
Agree, but sadly this is how its goes, if you rightly complain, your deemed to be moaning sour grapes etc. And when you dont say anything also get slammed for not saying anything. Imo Oles is looked at by the official part of the game as a manager they dont take any notice of, other managers which we all know get better treated.

SATA

What impact do you honestly think a match preview on the Chelsea website would have on reffing decisions? Who the hell even looks at match previews on official sites? I don't and I'm a Chelsea fan who pretty much lives online.

Chelsea's coverage via their own website and TV channel is laughably biased and has been for years.
Not a wind up or anything but do you genuinely think that it was a penalty?

RedDevil@84

It doesn't matter if refs look at it or not. It is out there in public domain and is an official website. Refs can claim they don't use twitter or don't watch sports discussions at all. Yet, they can be influenced by media pressure or bad tweets.

The point being that when it is an official website, it has to come with certain responsibilities. It is an unhealthy practice for teams to s**t talk about opponents with respect to ref decisions. Also it brings previous ref's decisions into disrepute.

As I mentioned previously, I don't expect United website to have a pre-match report that lists down all potential divers in the opposition team and says they have all managed to get penalties or freekicks from such stuff in previous games.

Hughie77

They can't because the United lawyers will defend it and ask for audio recording. Everyone knew it touched a hand. Chelsea players thought it was Greenwood and most of them was shouting for handball.
I am sure they would have called Woodward and told him the situation. Sweep it under the carpet.
I have never seen a man who can sit on the fence better than Dermot Gallagher. He should become a politician.
Splinters in his ass, that guy, Clatttenburg wrote he was amazed the ref didn't give a pen.

duffer

Scout
It doesn't matter if refs look at it or not. It is out there in public domain and is an official website. Refs can claim they don't use twitter or don't watch sports discussions at all. Yet, they can be influenced by media pressure or bad tweets.

The point being that when it is an official website, it has to come with certain responsibilities. It is an unhealthy practice for teams to s**t talk about opponents with respect to ref decisions. Also it brings previous ref's decisions into disrepute.

As I mentioned previously, I don't expect United website to have a pre-match report that lists down all potential divers in the opposition team and says they have all managed to get penalties or freekicks from such stuff in previous games.
I do see your point and agree that official sources should be a lot more respectful.

I just don't think it's something that has any impact other than making Chelsea look a bit amateurish.

90 + 5min

It can influence referees very much. After all, we are all humans. How far can you go is the question?

Could you type something like dodgy decisions, influenced, cheating, onesided, opposition fan and even worse things on a official channel? Where does it stop?

Irrational.

What was even more shocking was how openly the ref allowed CHO to plead his case behind him and that cnut Azpilicueta to continue to moan and influence the outcome. It’s not his first time either.

Also, all refs should be mic’d up.

duffer

Scout
It can influence referees very much. After all, we are all humans. How far can you go is the question?

Could you type something like dodgy decisions, influenced, cheating, onesided, opposition fan and even worse things on a official channel? Where does it stop?
Let's be honest, refs are under pressure from all corners and have been for a while, be it through managers comments, players moaning and pundits dissecting their every decision slowed down and in HD.

A club website preview is so far down the list of things that could influence a ref that I don't think it's at all worth bothering with.

DavidDeSchmikes

Well.....

I admit I started the debate on BeINSPORTS, during a conversation with Andy, about 6 weeks ago now. I’d spotted how regularly United were ‘winning’ pens - 34 in all comps since the start of last season. It’s 35 now so the pace has slowed. The one they got against Southampton after another dive by Martial had the Frenchmen leaving the pitch telling team-mates and Saints players alike ‘it wasn’t a pen’. No. It wasn’t. Despite the score-line it mattered, because he got away with. And he shouldn’t have done.

Anyway, Liverpool spotted the story and ran with it. Frank Lampard followed and so did the press. All of a sudden everyone was talking about it and it led to referees being more careful. Again, Quite right.

Adcuth

It's really amusing to me how so many fans of different clubs seem to despise us, yet we have so many oppos signing up here all the time.

I've never ever though "hey, I'm a Man United fan, why don't I look up for a Liverpool forum to sign up for, sounds like a great idea". It's because I don't care about Liverpool at all in my spare time and I'd rather discuss the team I support with other fellow supporters. But yeah, no more offtopic, thanks for the advice, will definitely be implementing it right after I click "post reply".
Cause this is the place to be

Adcuth

I think the reason for no mics is as simple and stupid as player's swearing.

You could clearly hear Tierney against Benfica last week shouting "You're a fecking diving cnut mate!" Hearing that through crystal clear mics every game would put off advertisers and bring regulation headaches.

You see how often Sky and BT have to say "Apologies if you heard some colourful language there" in every game without crowds.
Just ban any player heard swearing. They'll soon show some respect. Pretty sure its not just the players who are like that though. Been countless times a player had mentioned the refs language too

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Well.....
"Be more careful when awarding United penalties" doesn't equate to "don't give them penalties that are penalties" Richard. It also doesn't equate to "disallow legitimate goals and let other teams score goals that should've been disallowed" you hairy handed, sexist feckwit.

redshaw

Would be a foul 999 times out of a 1000

With United, it's all fair game, this time it was the VAR ref. Around 7 points lost probably in recent weeks to some very dubious decisions but I can see yesterday Chelsea coming out more and getting an equalizer if the pen was given, we'll never know some would argue we could pick them off. Not like I think we're in some big title chase but we could've made it more interesting if refs aren't spooked into this. We now have a very dull league with one team out of sight while the media and fans can't handle too many decisions going our way.

peridigm

No further action means they're right and there is proof of it on audio.

DoomSlayer

Well.....
I'd like to see him say all these things to Ole's face. This whole shower of shite of an "opinion" seems like some personal vendetta and is exactly what many of our own fans have been talking about, when saying there is a media agenda against us.

Just read that once, then do it again and tell me how we are playing on a fair ground.

croadyman

It's still no excuse for writing something like that on your official website and should be called out on it. Lets just say that the boot was on the other foot I bet you would want us investigated for writing something so potentially inflammatory

Thepinhead

Surprised no one is talking about the incident between Rudiger and Mctominay. I clearly remember Martial getting a red card for something similar against Tottenham.

SAFMUTD

Yeah hopefully we'll get what we deserve from now on.

Football is absolutely ridiculous though in some ways. We were getting penalties as other teams were commiting fouls in the box. Is there any other sport were the team being awarded penalties is deemed to be the one that deserves suspicion?
More so that none of them were really "controversial", but you know its the way it is. The game is not only played on the pitch, we've seen how other managers influence it outside of it, like Sir Alex or Mourinho that were truly masters of it.

The Firestarter

You do have that right and everyone else has the right to think you're completely over-reacting to a mild pun-based joke and making a bit of an eejit out of yourself in the process.
If you saw that poster 's record , you'd know that was an underreaction :lol:

JustinC00

Well.....
These fecking whiners talking about how many penalties we get now. Do these bellends not realize that for 5 years we were stuck with pragmatic defensive coaches and now we aren't so we actually try to work the ball into the box which is where penalties happen? No guess it would take too much brain power for them to realize that

and is his logic because Martial got a soft penalty when we were up 6-0 that it makes this fair? Mike Dean & VAR had every opportunity to rule it not a penalty. Maybe Stuart Atwell should ask Mike Dean for his balls to make calls like that?

90 + 5min

Let's be honest, refs are under pressure from all corners and have been for a while, be it through managers comments, players moaning and pundits dissecting their every decision slowed down and in HD.

A club website preview is so far down the list of things that could influence a ref that I don't think it's at all worth bothering with.
I agree that refs are under pressure from everywhere.

But, that didn’t answered my question. How far can you go before it is pretty clear what you want to achive without going to far?

Well.....
What he did was almost confirming that ABU exist. Great job. I wonder what club he supports?

Amarsdd

Surprised no one is talking about the incident between Rudiger and Mctominay. I clearly remember Martial getting a red card for something similar against Tottenham.
Are you really? After the Sheffield United game, the refs agreed they made the wrong decision for both our disallowed goal and their allowed goal. Yet, it was quickly brushed under the rug. I'd think there has been or will be any mention of that or the Mount kick out.