Shaw confirms ref bottled the penalty

RedDevilRoshi

I’d love if Sheffield Utd win this game with a very controversial, dodgy penalty decision just to shut that prick Souness up.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If VAR are telling you to go and look at the monitor it is that they think it is a penalty. It was pathetic from the referee.

Cpt Negative

I’d love if Sheffield Utd win this game with a very controversial, dodgy penalty decision just to shut that prick Souness up.
It’s not going to happen. The more likely outcome is that a similar handball occurs and a penalty is given

Superunknown

If VAR are telling you to go and look at the monitor it is that they think it is a penalty. It was pathetic from the referee.
What I want to understand is what is it that the referee has seen that convinces him that it isn't a penalty. This is why refs need to come out and be questioned at the end of games. It's all guesswork until they start doing this. If they know that they're going to be questioned after games, maybe they'll make better decisions during the match.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They are essentially WWE refs these days.

They ref according to story that is on the pitch or the stories that will be created by certain decisions. They don't ref according to rule book that is there.

RedDevilRoshi

What I want to understand is what is it that the referee has seen that convinces him that it isn't a penalty. This is why refs need to come out and be questioned at the end of games. It's all guesswork until they start doing this. If they know that they're going to be questioned after games, maybe they'll make better decisions during the match.
Might be wrong but is that not what they do in their referee reports after the game which get submitted to the league and FA? Basically explaining every decision they’ve made and why.

Again, I might be talking pure sour grapes here but I’m sure that’s what they do after every game they officiate?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Its hard not to look at things like paddy Power adverts, and the constant memes and not wonder if that is hugely influential to what goes on in an officials mind?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Or just have them mic'd up! If we heard their conversation with the VAR we'd know exactly what's going on and why they're making the call. When you hear rugby refs talking to the TMO it's completely clear to everyone what's going on, whereas in football it's deliberately left for us to guess.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They are essentially WWE refs these days.

They ref according to story that is on the pitch or the stories that will be created by certain decisions. They don't ref according to rule book that is there.
Great analogy, just follow a script.

Superunknown

Might be wrong but is that not what they do in their referee reports after the game which get submitted to the league and FA? Basically exiling every decision they’ve made and why.

Again, I might be talking pure sour grapes here but I’m sure that’s what they do after every game they officiate?
They do have those refereeing reports, but if the players and managers are questioned after the games about refereeing decisions, I don't see why these questions could not be asked directly to those refs so that the fans can understand, too.

Adcuth

This just proves that we should be able to hear what the ref is saying during the game like in the rugby. Why are their decisions never held accountable. That prick from yesterday was conveniently "injured" today when we know that is bullshit.

Anustart89

Shaw is definitely getting a ban for that :lol:
Considering that Henderson said that he's seen referees bend the lines to make them offside without being banned, I fully expect Shaw to get a five game ban for bringing the game into disrepute.

Superunknown

Or just have them mic'd up! If we heard their conversation with the VAR we'd know exactly what's going on and why they're making the call. When you hear rugby refs talking to the TMO it's completely clear to everyone what's going on, whereas in football it's deliberately left for us to guess.
This 100% needs to happen and I would fully back this.

cyberman

Cant wait until we get more confirmation that VAR refs made wrong calls against us and um huh off to the next game.

RedDevilRoshi

100% agree

Jezpeza

I thought the VAR idea was to create fairness and consistency.

Yet, i have seen players who have jumped to head the ball and have actually accidentally handled the ball in mid air concede penalties this year, and I have seen people like Hudson Odoi today handle the ball to stop Greenwood control it and no penalty. How? What were his hands even doing up there in this instance, he wasnt jumping and the ball wasnt that high.

Zoo

Not surprised. Cowardly. The fact that he allowed CHO and Azpilicueta (one of the biggest crybabies in the game) to constantly berate him during the VAR check says it all.

Agree too which for me is just as infuriating as the decision itself.
This is always the case. I don't even care about the odd decision going against us, it's the narrative when one goes in our favour that drives me up the wall.

Right now we've had (that I can remember) inexplicable decisions go against us vs Palace, Spurs, Sheffield, West Brom and now Chelsea. Over 25% of the games in which we've dropped points. There have been others where we've managed to pick up the 3pts regardless, e.g. vs Burnley.

Would we have won all of them without those bad decisions? Probably not. We were hammered in the Palace and Spurs games, for example. But it hardly suits the narrative of United benefitting from referees.

mu4c_20le

Not surprised. Cowardly. The fact that he allowed CHO and Azpilicueta (one of the biggest crybabies in the game) to constantly berate him during the VAR check says it all.
Azpi is a cnut but at least he's the captain. Letting CHO, the offender, have a go at the ref during the check was a complete farce

Adcuth

That should also need retrospective action

Superunknown

Azpi is a cnut but at least he's the captain. Letting CHO, the offender, have a go at the ref during the check was a complete farce
Agreed. Complete lack of control by the referee. I saw somebody suggest earlier that the ref should draw a line on the pitch when doing VAR calls and then the players should not be allowed past that line. If they go past it, they get booked.

Cpt Negative

What did Mason do?
allowed Brighton to take a quick free kick from which they scored
Split second before it went over the line he blew his whistle and didn’t give the goal
Then gave the goal
Then went to VAR who told him you stopped play before it went in so it can’t be a goal
Then got injured apparently so couldn’t be involved tonight

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I hope we, as a club, do not let this go! You just know any other team wouldn't let it go if we were benefiting from that decision.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I thought the VAR idea was to create fairness and consistency.

Yet, i have seen players who have jumped to head the ball and have actually accidentally handled the ball in mid air concede penalties this year, and I have seen people like Hudson Odoi today handle the ball to stop Greenwood control it and no penalty. How? What were his hands even doing up there in this instance, he wasnt jumping and the ball wasnt that high.
It looks as though Greenwood initiated the contact with the Odoi's handball. His arm pushed Odoi's hand against the ball. His hand can be anywhere he wants, even within millimeters of the ball as long as he's not touching it, but Greenwood's left arm pushed his hand up against the ball, at least that's what it looked like on slow-motion. I'm fine with the call, I think as a neutral if they had given it I would have said it's a bit harsh but not much more than that but I think the call was made correctly.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Ole is furious! You can tell he’s holding back what he really wants to say here too

Coleyoscar

This is always the case. I don't even care about the odd decision going against us, it's the narrative when one goes in our favour that drives me up the wall.

Right now we've had (that I can remember) inexplicable decisions go against us vs Palace, Spurs, Sheffield, West Brom and now Chelsea. Over 25% of the games in which we've dropped points. There have been others where we've managed to pick up the 3pts regardless, e.g. vs Burnley.

Would we have won all of them without those bad decisions? Probably not. We were hammered in the Palace and Spurs games, for example. But it hardly suits the narrative of United benefitting from referees.
This is so true.

The "United get all the decisions" narrative clearly has an influence on decisions by officials. They are afraid to give any marginal decisions to us. Atwell is right about that, there would be "talk". People who say we should simply ignore the anti-United bias in the media miss that point.

Denis' cuff

This has been going on for years, I’ve brought this up several times citing Andre Marriner saying he didn’t want to be the star on motd after he declined to give us a stonewall pen. It’s all these fecking pundits ever talk about, not much football discussion just endless, over analysis of every decision. Especially if it’s “brave” Leeds or their favourite London club. or Liverpool, of course. It’s absolutely deliberate. There’s just endless “controversy” cooked up partly because the football is shit but largely because it is controversial and gets viewers attention.

Even on here, anyone mentions ABU bias is denied , saying it all evens out over a season. fecking doesnt. This one season we’ve had a run of pens and they’re onto it like a pack of fecking hounds. The players certainly are aware of it, which is why somebody finally cracked and opened up.

Last edited:

Jezpeza

It looks as though Greenwood initiated the contact with the Odoi's handball. His arm pushed Odoi's hand against the ball. His hand can be anywhere he wants, even within millimeters of the ball as long as he's not touching it, but Greenwood's left arm pushed his hand up against the ball, at least that's what it looked like on slow-motion. I'm fine with the call, I think as a neutral if they had given it I would have said it's a bit harsh but not much more than that but I think the call was made correctly.
its a penalty. Its a nonsense about arms pushing arms. How many handballs have been given when a defender uses their arms to jump? Or jumps forwards to block and it hits their arms because you cant jump without using your arms to balance? You could argue they shouldnt be penalised because they were under pressure to jump from an opposition player. The ref didnt give it because he had let play go on for a while and felt awkward to go back in my opinion. Hudson odois arms shouldnt be up there when the ball is at chest height. No ifs no buts. They are away from his body for no good reason.

at the end of the day, maybe we miss the penalty, or chelsea score an equaliser. I dont subscribe to the view it costs us a win. But its a stonewall penalty.