Shaw confirms ref bottled the penalty

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Alan Shearer & Danny Murphey, both idiots who hate United, said on MotD that they don't think it should be a penalty, but, under the current rules it definitely was a penalty. They criticised the rules and their interpretation, but did not deny it was a penalty.
I've heard a lot of people refer to current rules, but when has that incident ever not been a penalty?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If Shaw gets a ban for this it will be insane, we should really put our foot down in the future.

Sky egged him on into giving his opinion, and yet again speaking the truth gets you in trouble. What a joke.

So we get screwed out of a clear penalty, then our best player could face a 3 match ban :houllier: I hope United make them listen to the tape and prove he didn't say it.
He won't. It's already been passed off as 'misheard.'

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If Shaw gets a ban for this it will be insane, we should really put our foot down in the future.

Sky egged him on into giving his opinion, and yet again speaking the truth gets you in trouble. What a joke.

So we get screwed out of a clear penalty, then our best player could face a 3 match ban :houllier: I hope United make them listen to the tape and prove he didn't say it.
I said about making them wait until after the players had showered, giving them chance to calm down think about what to say. Actually I think they should just send out the player they want to interview with a written statement, a very bland one and then the player just goes 'That is all the club has to say' and walk away.

DomesticTadpole

I've heard a lot of people refer to current rules, but when has that incident ever not been a penalty?
Watched the Marseille v Lyon game last night, a Lyon player got penalised and booked, when the ball hit his thigh and then his arm. That shouldn't have been a penalty, then to make matter worse he got booked later for a foul and sent off.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I said about making them wait until after the players had showered, giving them chance to calm down think about what to say. Actually I think they should just send out the player they want to interview with a written statement, a very bland one and then the player just goes 'That is all the club has to say' and walk away.
Yep, from now on we should give the most bland robotic interviews.

Sky want something spicy but whenever we do they just get the book thrown at them. Ole himself was very careful not to get caught out, he wanted to say exactly what Shaw said - Sky then even said "oh dont worry Shaw has already told us".

The stupid thing is if it was Klopp not a word would be said, they'd just laugh it off.

Look at Lewis Dunk, he said a lot worse after his interview but I haven't had a peep yet.

Red71

I really think it wouldn't make a massive difference because we've dropped so many points, not because of refs but because of our inability to either defend when it mattered or attack properly like yesterday. And imo the rule is also very stupid, so refs interpret it differently like the idiot from yesterday. The ref also made couple of other stupid decision but I feel we have only ourselves to blame.
We only have ourselves to blame for not getting the penalty...is that what you’re saying Kostov...?

I’m also surprised that you think that the recent decisions against us haven’t made a massive difference...? Regardless of how shite you think we are, they have been huge ones...goals against that shouldn’t have been, stonewall penalties not given etc...these are game defining moments...

DomesticTadpole

We only have ourselves to blame for not getting the penalty...is that what you’re saying Kostov...?

I’m also surprised that you think that the recent decisions against us haven’t made a massive difference...? Regardless of how shite you think we are, they have been huge ones...goals against that shouldn’t have been, stonewall penalties not given etc...these are game defining moments...
Sheffield United is a prime example of decisions going against us.

Red71

Sheffield United is a prime example of decisions going against us.
Yeah, that game was significant because put the brakes on our terrific run...and it was an absolute sickener given the unjust circumstances around it. People can bang on about mentality and being able to shake it off but they’re human beings who feel like they’ve been robbed, with some justification and it’s still going on...

Momentum in sport is a massive thing and that game changed the dynamic totally...that and some other dubious decisions, coupled with otherworldly form from shitteh, has seen a massive swing at the top...maybe we wouldn’t have kept up with them but now we’ll never know. Not sure if refs have got to be more accountable now but we are being turned over at the moment and need to resolve it. I thought the club had employed a journo to improve our PR. He needs to start earning his corn...

tomaldinho1

Definitely, all the slagging off the refs is getting boring.

The club needs to be very careful about what they say on this and make sure what was heard is correct as we could get into a lot of trouble.
Exactly. We aren't getting worse or better treatment than anyone - Chelsea didn't get the peno for Maguire's foul on Azpilecueta in the reverse game which was about as stonewall as this handball. Both should have been penos but it will do the club no favours to publicly out officials like this in the long run especially if all we have to go on is an emotional Luke Shaw 'he said, she said' type interview. Not saying he is wrong or lying but the club needs to be really careful with what it says in public here.

Kostov

We have only ourselves to blame for not taking the 3 points in a game they were there to be taken, we barely tested a backline consisting of Rudiger, Christansen and Azpi. Yes on another day we would have gotten a penalty and maybe won, or just as easily lost.

Yes there have been some shocking decision against us, but I don't think it would have made massive difference. We are 12 points behind City because we are miles behind them as a team, not because of refs. The thing we should work on, is winning mentality and putting pressure on refs, we hardly ever do that, and that's why we got fecked yesterday for the penalty, Greenwood was the closest and he just continues his run, instead of reacting.

The Neville wears Prada

I've seen those peno's not given zillions of times. Some fans are clutching at straws. We've gotten decisions our way plenty in other games. It balances itself out over the season.
Weak post and weak argument.

How on earth do 'they balance out'? Plus you are making excuses for bad decisions... What a defeatist post!

Adcuth

He won't get a ban if the ref has actually said it. If he didn't say it then he'll get a ban for his comments. Surely they'll check the recording without letting us know what was said and act in the way that looks best for the refs.

RedDevil@84

I've seen those peno's not given zillions of times. Some fans are clutching at straws. We've gotten decisions our way plenty in other games. It balances itself out over the season.
Wrong thread mate. We are talking about ref saying he was scared of external influences.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Exactly. We aren't getting worse or better treatment than anyone - Chelsea didn't get the peno for Maguire's foul on Azpilecueta in the reverse game which was about as stonewall as this handball. Both should have been penos but it will do the club no favours to publicly out officials like this in the long run especially if all we have to go on is an emotional Luke Shaw 'he said, she said' type interview. Not saying he is wrong or lying but the club needs to be really careful with what it says in public here.
I think you're missing an important point. The issue isn't just about dropping points. More about quality and consistency of officiating.

For a long time we've had to accept poor refereeing decisions because "they're human", "have to make split second decisions in real time" and "don't have the benefit of slo-mo replays like pundits and fans at home". Well now they do, and they're still as terrible if not worse.

I don't want decisions to even out over a season (they fecking don't, by the way), I want to see fair games where the right calls are made irrespective of whether it's in our favour or not.

Edit, to cite your example if Chelsea beat us at Old Trafford and we beat them at Stamford Bridge we'd each be 2 points better off.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Jordan Henderson says VAR bends lines to make Liverpool players look offside, no punishment.

Luke Shaw repeats what a referee said - facing a ban.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Jordan Henderson says VAR bends lines to make Liverpool players look offside, no punishment.

Luke Shaw repeats what a referee said - facing a ban.
I guess VAR definitely do bend lines whereas in this case we can’t be sure what was actually said between the ref and Maguire.

DoomSlayer

People with responsibilities in the club are a bunch of pussies and cowards if they let this slide, whilst Shaw gets banned. Same goes for some of our fans, who apparently want "justice", but are not seeing how every top team has always been trying to bend the rules in their favour, but the media always puts the biggest spotlight on Manchester United.

I fear this could actually put a serious dent in our season, if Shaw really does get charged and banned. Stuff like that plays on your emotions and motivations, and we could easily burn-out severely in the next few matches.

Eternitiy

If Shaw is banned, I stop watching football. There is no accountability and transparency in officiating, it's unreal. I can't in good conscience continue to watch if this goes on. I am so sorry.

tomaldinho1

I think you're missing an important point. The issue isn't just about dropping points. More about quality and consistency of officiating.

For a long time we've had to accept poor refereeing decisions because "they're human", "have to make split second decisions in real time" and "don't have the benefit of slo-mo replays like pundits and fans at home". Well now they do, and they're still as terrible if not worse.

I don't want decisions to even out over a season (they fecking don't, by the way), I want to see fair games where the right calls are made irrespective of whether it's in our favour or not.

Edit, to cite your example if Chelsea beat us at Old Trafford and we beat them at Stamford Bridge we'd each be 2 points better off.
Yes but this is a wider point for the whole league, it's not specific for United. What is ironic is usually it is VAR who seem clueless but this time VAR actually tried to award the penalty and then the ref decided it was not a penalty. I have some sympathy for the ref though because there are still people who think it touches Greenwood first and I guess the question is is it an obvious error (I think yes) but I understand how it wasn't given. Compare that to the So'ton denied hand ball penalty versus Villa for example.

This would all be solved if refs were mic'd up - even if it's only on for the conversation between officials & VAR (which mitigates the foul language issues if the microphones were always on). This would remove all of this debate because we'd know exactly what he/she thinks and what VAR is recommending. Honestly, rugby does this so well why don't we just follow their lead here where the TMO will even recommend a decision and the ref's conversation is broadcast live? The two team captains would then get an explanation of the the decision which is also mic'd up.

Anustart89

He should’ve just said that he’s seen the refs bend lines to create offsides and he’d have got off scot free.

DoomSlayer

Snitches don't get to play on pitches.

Everyone knows that.
You really are insufferable and like to act as if your whole club's modern history hasn't been based on getting financial doping from the Russian mafia structures. Amazing hypocrisy to even try and speak about fairness or justice.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You really are insufferable and like to act as if your whole club's modern history hasn't been based on getting financial doping from the Russian mafia structures. Amazing hypocrisy to even try and speak about fairness or justice.
:lol: wtf

El Zoido

Refs are mic’ed up, surely they have a recording of what was said. If they won’t release it, how about checking the audio feed from one of the many microphones Sky has pitchside? I refuse to believe that this audio wasn’t picked up somewhere.

DoomSlayer

Why is he allowed to be cynical about it? Isn't WUMing against the rules? I wouldn't go to a Chelsea forum to act like a smart-ass and I definitely don't want to see that here, after a game against Chelsea where we got shafted by the ref.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Yes but this is a wider point for the whole league, it's not specific for United. What is ironic is usually it is VAR who seem clueless but this time VAR actually tried to award the penalty and then the ref decided it was not a penalty. I have some sympathy for the ref though because there are still people who think it touches Greenwood first and I guess the question is is it an obvious error (I think yes) but I understand how it wasn't given. Compare that to the So'ton denied hand ball penalty versus Villa for example.

This would all be solved if refs were mic'd up - even if it's only on for the conversation between officials & VAR (which mitigates the foul language issues if the microphones were always on). This would remove all of this debate because we'd know exactly what he/she thinks and what VAR is recommending. Honestly, rugby does this so well why don't we just follow their lead here where the TMO will even recommend a decision and the ref's conversation is broadcast live? The two team captains would then get an explanation of the the decision which is also mic'd up.
Yes, VAR is being botched. Instead of helping refs make decisions and make the game more fair, it's being applied in a way that makes the refs and VAR look like incompetent twats, and wrong decisions seem infinitely more unjust.

RedDevil@84

What did Maguire said?

My bad if it's between pages 2 and 9. Ain't reading those.
He said Shaw misheard things.
But that cannot be reason enough to charge him. I would want the club to back him and also officially complain about Chelsea's pre-match report to the authorities. But I doubt we would do anything of that sort.
We are getting hurt by all this media talk about how United win penalties and all that and being silent is not an option. It is time to put out official statements or tell the manager to keep talking about it, and force media's hand.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why is he allowed to be cynical about it? Isn't WUMing against the rules? I wouldn't go to a Chelsea forum to act like a smart-ass and I definitely don't want to see that here, after a game against Chelsea where we got shafted by the ref.
Come on, that's not a wum at all. Just a silly play on the phrase "snitches get stitches".

Some people like to go back and forth with me & other oppos. I take a hell of a lot more shit than I give and that's as it should be of course.

Just put me on ignore if you find me annoying.