Shaw is our best full back and best FB in Europe (edited)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
There was a thread how Williams is better than Shaw so why not to go in opposite way. When he is in form and fit ( which is not that often i know) i think that he is excellent full back and better than AWB( and other full backs). He does similiar job as AWB in defence but on different way. AWB chase attackers and tries to solve most situations with tackles and Shaw just position himself better in defence and don't give space to attackers to go past him.
In attack i think that nobody can't deny that Shaw is a clear winner.

To be clear here; i am not saying that AWB is bad player. I just think that Shaw is more modern full back than AWB.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think Williams has a higher ceiling but if ever there is evidence needed that competition for spots is essential to motivating players and keeping them sharp then look no further.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Shaw is better when there's something to light a fire under him - see: Mourinho, Williams. Some players can motivate themselves but others need a catalyst.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Shaw is our best LB and he is in very good form. Hopefully he will keep this up.

Tiber

He has been brilliant recently, one of our best players nevermind fullback

OleBoiii

Shaw is better when there's something to light a fire under him - see: Mourinho, Williams. Some players can motivate themselves but others need a catalyst.
Basically, Shaw's biggest enemy is himself. That, and cookies.

EwanI Ted

Shaw is just nowhere near consistent enough to be considered a really good player. A typical Shaw season is 10 good games, 20 average games and the rest out injured. Nowhere near the required standard. AWB is limited in attack, but he's been a very reliable defender all season. Shaw is pretty much the opposite of reliable.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:). You answered on question like true politician
I have answered to the point.

If you need more detailed one then no, he isn't better defensively than AWB and no he doesn't cover the space well. He gives too much space for wingers.

Shaw has contributed to 5 goals in last 2 league seasons and 8 goals in his PL career which is around 8 seasons. AWB in last 2 seasons has contributed to 5 PL goals.

If you count dribbles completed then AWB wins it easily too.

I rate Shaw as better footballer though, his touch and passing is good.

Aint gota Kalou

Technically he's very good, has pace and is a good defender. Shame hes not had the stamina and seemed not arsed for stretches of his United career. He's talented enough to be top class, question is whether he wants it.

ash_86

Shaw was getting comfortable here and needed a kick in the backside. Think it worked bringing in Williams.

mu4c_20le

Surprised that some thought he was done, and was mocking him like a Phil jones. This was our BPOTY last season,a nd he's showing that form again.

Zoo

This should be his minimum level though. With the ability he has he is capable of doing even better still.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Quick google search confirms Shaw is indeed a dad.

Brightonian

Williams and him will continue to be very good for each other.

I know attacking is practically all that matters with fullbacks these days for a lot of people, but I'm perfectly happy with the balance Shaw and AWB bring. Both can attack, and we've seen good assists from both, but first and foremost when they're in this form they make our defence look so solid, and that gives our midfielders much more freedom to go and do their thing.

SATA

The Wayne Rooney of fullbacks, and by that I don’t mind his size. He makes the game look so easy and casual for him with his technical ability a cut above the rest

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rio just now on BT Sport said he asked Ole on one of his first training sessions as manager how he'd manage Luke Shaw. Ole replied with "Luke's shown me something already, I'll get the best out of him".

Player and manager each deserve credit for the upturn here.

mu4c_20le

This should be his minimum level though. With the ability he has he is capable of doing even better still.
His last game where he played left cb in a back 3 impressed me even more. The way he slotted into a new position so naturally, remember this is the guy who Mourinho said lacked a tactical brain, and needed him to control him from the sidelines.

TheRedHearted

There was a thread how Williams is better than Shaw so why not to go in opposite way. When he is in form and fit ( which is not that often i know) i think that he is excellent full back and better than AWB( and other full backs). He does similiar job as AWB in defence but on different way. AWB chase attackers and tries to solve most situations with tackles and Shaw just position himself better in defence and don't give space to attackers to go past him.
In attack i think that nobody can't deny that Shaw is a clear winner.

To be clear here; i am not saying that AWB is bad player. I just think that Shaw is more modern full back than AWB.
I think when our midfield was paper thin both should have played- with Williams as LM.

Skills

Snitch
Shaws always been good when he gets a run of games - injury and manager permitting.

hobbers

When he plays like that, he absolutely is.

Just has to keep it up.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was cruising without putting in enough effort. Williams getting in the first team has given him a royal kick up the arse and I'm very happy about it.
Spot on.

RedIan

He has been constantly brilliant for 2 months now. Brandon pushing him has helped. Made a few on here eat their words. Hes been motm at least 2 -3 times, unusual for a FB.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I made that Williams thread. I think he's the better option. Shaw has upped his game a bit. He was decent tonight and our best player, but we played against an absolutely woeful side.

For some games Shaw is the better option (when we have little possession) and for others it's Williams. If I had to choose which one I'd prefer for 38 Premier League games I'd go for Williams. How many times has Shaw had a short purple patch? Once or twice when he's been rewarded with a new contract (a very unmerited wage btw) and now that he's got competition. By and large he's been way below expectations.

In many ways he's resembled our club over recent years. A few false dawns and lots of disappointment. Maybe this time eh...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In some ways he and Martial are quite similar — both are technically fantastic in their positions but injury niggles and questions of motivation and effort constantly plague both. It always feels like they’re playing a gear below what they could be playing at.

spiriticon

If the title read Shaw is our best LCB i'd agree.

He's been ok at LB lately, but still no Evra though.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s always important to understand what motivates the individual. It seems that in Luke Shaw’s case it might be the competition.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ander and Shaw: the last signings before the club started backing mangers targets more than the players the scouting team were identifying? Back to it now with Bruno, Fred, Awb, Maguire etc? We backed the wrong people far too much. I’m happy enough without a dof if Ed isn’t involved in the scouting and there is a world class team behind the scenes analysing every player out there and they are taking the power back from the manager and always building for the future from now on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's looked infinitely better lately, hopefully Williams keeps him on his toes indefinitely because this version of Shaw is the best version we've seen in his United career.

Red00012

Rio just now on BT Sport said he asked Ole on one of his first training sessions as manager how he'd manage Luke Shaw. Ole replied with "Luke's shown me something already, I'll get the best out of him".
Player and manager each deserve credit for the upturn here.
He must have showed him 3 empty kebab bags and told him he was going to eat just 1 a day in future.

Jeffthered

Shaw is just nowhere near consistent enough to be considered a really good player. A typical Shaw season is 10 good games, 20 average games and the rest out injured. Nowhere near the required standard. AWB is limited in attack, but he's been a very reliable defender all season. Shaw is pretty much the opposite of reliable.
Unfortunately, I agree with this.

MiracleInMadrid

I think credit also needs to go to Solskjær for this upturn in form. He has not been afraid of using a young Williams, which must have made Shaw realise that he is not entitled to a place in the team. Great management if you ask me.

Lentwood

Shaw has always been incredibly talented. Whenever he gets a proper run of games he proves that.

His problem is that when he misses game, it’s seems to take him weeks to play himself back into form.

TRUERED89

Finally getting back to the real Luke Shaw ? Lord knows it’s been a while. Delighted about the goal too, excellent game from him.

Skills

Snitch
Shaw has always been incredibly talented. Whenever he gets a proper run of games he proves that.

His problem is that when he misses game, it’s seems to take him weeks to play himself back into form.
This. Shaws always been a stupidly talented footballer - the guys got the size and frame to play CB, is very quick and has a touch good enough for a midfielder to boot. There's a reason, he was a very good PL player from age 17.