Shaw is our best full back and best FB in Europe (edited)

Yagami

Good post resistant
His defensive skills is meah while his attacking skills are non existent. He produced 0 assists this year as compared to DEFENSIVE full back Wan Bissaka who produced 4.
Nah, Shaw is very good defensively. Better than AWB at every aspect bar 1 on 1s.

He's great in the build-up phase, too. Excellent first touch, excellent passing. Regarding his assist stats, he could've had a few this season if not for poor finishing, and has played his part in plenty of goals prior to the last assist making pass. This is why stats don't tell the full story.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Easily, he’s been involved in a goal or set up a clear cut chance that was missed at least once every match since the break.

Assists are meaningless, all that matters is we score. The fact his dangerous cross forced a defender to struggle with it leading to Ighalo scoring is just as valuable as Ighalo being directly on the end of it. One is statistically an assist and the other isn’t but all that matters is either way it’s a goal that is on the back of Shaw getting into a dangerous areas and putting in a difficult ball to deal with. Assist or not means jack shit.
I remember you listing all the moments where he could've had an assist or played a huge part in setting up a goal since the restart in his performance thread.

@devilish should take a look. He's been excellent for us again this season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Here it is:
Just off the top of my head with terrible memory.

Spurs:
Pressed and won the ball back high up the pitch, then found Martial perfectly 12 yards out in the box which you'd bank on Martial finishing 9 times out of 10 but for a fantastic save.

Sheffield United:
Put Ighalo through on a plate who proceeded to completely feck it.

Norwich:
Puts in the ball for Ighalo's goal.

Brighton:
Fantastic run and plays a dangerous ball across forcing Brighton to panic all over the place in the lead up to Bruno's goal.

Bouremouth:
Great cross picking out Martial who won the penalty with his header.

Aston Villa:
Teed up Bruno on a plate for him to miss.
Played Rashford through who teed up AWB on a plate to miss.

So with his terrible delivery and 0 assists, that is every single game since the return he has played a direct part in a goal or set up at least one great chance that should have been a goal.
This is why stats don't tell the full story.

As well as probably being our most consistent player in defence, he HAS contributed a lot to our attack, too. Especially since Rashford's had a slight change in role in that he's started trying to playmake more instead of direct dribbling, thus allowing Shaw to make overlap after overlap, which we really missed against Palace and Chelsea.

romufc

His defensive skills is meah while his attacking skills are non existent. He produced 0 assists this year as compared to DEFENSIVE full back Wan Bissaka who produced 4.
You haven't watched our play with Shaw clearly. We look a more balanced team with Shaw in the team.

He may not have produced assists but the work he does on the left hand side linking with Rashford is impressive. I do not care if Shaw gets 0 assists all season.

The reason Shaw has played LCB against Liverpool, CIty and Chelsea shows he is very good defensively.

Attacking, yes he doesnn't put the ball in the box, he doesnt lose the ball either and keeps attacks going.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nah, Shaw is very good defensively. Better than AWB at every aspect bar 1 on 1s.

He's great in the build-up phase, too. Excellent first touch, excellent passing. Regarding his assist stats, he could've had a few this season if not for poor finishing, and has played his part in plenty of goals prior to the last assist making pass. This is why stats don't tell the full story.
Yeah, he is very good in build up phase, also he was very important player in the build up play. His link up play with Rashford was excellent, for first time since SAF we had proper Wide player - Fullback partnership.

Withnail

People saying he's got 0 assists, I think he could have easily had atleast a couple of them after the restart.

He's got 1 in Europa!

Seriously though his final ball leaves a lot to be desired. He really should have put the ball on a plate a few times with the amount of times Rashford put him through recently.

I can only remember one where Bruno should have scored. Where there more I'm not remembering?

EDIT: I can see that's been covered. I'll have to watch him more closely in future. Maybe I'm confirmation biasing his performances but I didn't remember all of those times listed above.

Idxomer

He quite obviously is, however he's never fit so that's of no help. This has been the case with his whole stay here.
That's not the case the last two seasons though where he played over 70 games combined.

Steven-UK

Wow, if Shaw is our best defender, we are in a world of hurt regarding the other defenders.

Our defense is a mess, and in the transfer window we should buy..... oh wait, we already did... we bought a player based on 2 weeks of hype in the World Cup, and he has now proven a total liability... :houllier:

Idxomer

The perception regarding him is similar in a way to both Pogba and Martial where mistakes and quiet games got scrutinized to the maximum and their qualities didn't get highlighted as much.

They were able to change that lately and I'm expecting Shaw to also do this as long as his fitness levels don't drop again.

Skills

Snitch

Yes he's been robbed of a few this season - but I'm sure eventually the numbers will sort themselves out.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, he is very good in build up phase, also he was very important player in the build up play. His link up play with Rashford was excellent, for first time since SAF we had proper Wide player - Fullback partnership.
The fact that he's so good in the build-up with his 1-2s, line breaking passes, and occasional scooped balls - along with his great first touch - really help in dealing with opposition press and keeping possession in the final third. We've missed him big time in that regard (& defensively) since his unfortunate injury against Southampton.
Wow, if Shaw is our best defender, we are in a world of hurt regarding the other defenders.

Our defense is a mess, and in the transfer window we should buy..... oh wait, we already did... we bought a player based on 2 weeks of hype in the World Cup, and he has now proven a total liability... :houllier:
We didn't buy Maguire just off his World Cup performances. His performances in the league for Hull and Leicester are what prompted us (& City) into wanting him. That's 2/3 years worth of performances, not 2 weeks.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have the 2nd best defence in the league behind Liverpool?

The perception regarding him is similar in a way to both Pogba and Martial where mistakes and quiet games got scrutinized to the maximum and their qualities didn't get highlighted as much.

They were able to change that lately and I'm expecting Shaw to also do this as long as his fitness levels don't drop again.
I agree. Like the other two you mentioned, I think Shaw's still struggling to shake off the stigma José put on him; making out as if he's not reliable.
Yes he's been robbed of a few this season - but I'm sure eventually the numbers will sort themselves out.
If Ighalo had buried that chance the other week that would've been one of my favourite assists this season. It was a beautifully weighted ball from Shaw.

Squeaky Bumtime

I'd pay attention to @Yagami's post just above.

Also I keep reading our defense is a mess despite the fact stats say otherwise.

shabz

I think he's becoming one of our most reliable players, and like our better full backs of the past anyone who plays in front of him tends to have the freedom to assert their will on the game.

Squeaky Bumtime

He's constantly involved in our build up play and he's crucial for building up our attacks with his constant moves, overlaps, passing, opening up lines and so on. People expect fullbacks to just stick to the byline and overlap but he has much more to his game now as opposed to before. Sure he could have more assists but he's constantly trying to find his teammates, via quick passes or crosses. Hopefully he'll be back for West Ham cause he's an important player for the way we play nowadays.

Jordi

Shaw has come on a lot this season in fairness to him. Love seeing him get forward and his link up play with Rashford is going from strength to strength. I do wish he'd improve his positioning when balls are played over his head/shoulder, I panic every time it happens and you can see it coming from a mile away.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's enabled our fluent attack since the restart. He does the modern fullback 'job of two men' - constantly running past Rashford AND defending. Just look at TFM and Williams versus him. Night and day. You can just take for granted he's going to control a difficult ball, not screw up a throw in, and be able to pass it to another teammate once he's received it from the keeper. Compare that with the right-hand side...eesh.

Desperately need him back asap. Has to be on the short list for player of the season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I remember you listing all the moments where he could've had an assist or played a huge part in setting up a goal since the restart in his performance thread.

@devilish should take a look. He's been excellent for us again this season.
Its a team game so I guess everyone does something at the end of the day. Is it enough? Well considering what the likes of Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and even the likes of Digne do then the answer is no.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you believe Barca and Liverpool were interested (maybe because some rumor site mentioned it) then just wait for some time, I might just open a dummy website and post Maguire to Liverpool and Klopp saying "If Maguire is not signed, I will resign" article. Post any credible links I will give up, as simple as that.

See I dont know who will pay 35 million. Shaw is our player, we have paid fee already and he is part of the team. So I like him and what he brings to the team. We have to be realistic here, Shaw is paid 190K per week (according to Athletic, Lauire Whitwell), so which team will match his wages?
Like i said i hate to talk about rumours because in 99% they are bs. I believe only when official bid comes. But Shaw to Barca rumour was in most of Uk sites. Shaw to Liverpool was in Sun probably :nervous:

Last edited:

Raven

I think our last few games without him have really highlighted his importance to the team. We're in far more control when he's playing.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Goes off injured vs Southampton then we end up drawing from a winning position. We get battered by Chelsea without him, then are trailing to West Ham at half time without him. Our form has dipped massively with him not in the side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Goes off injured vs Southampton then we end up drawing from a winning position. We get battered by Chelsea without him, then are trailing to West Ham at half time without him. Our form has dipped massively with him not in the side.
So you think that our dip in form is down to Shaw rather then down to the fact that this squad is knackered or because of Pogba deciding to save a ball inside the box? Also were is Shaw? Is he engaged in one of those early summer breaks down the treatment room? Can anyone build a team around such injury prone player?

jackal&hyde

No question. He is solid defensively. Brandon is enthusiastic and makes some good runs but has the World to learn as a defender.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The assist stat is meaningless. Rashford, Martial & Bruno have all been guilty of bad misses on chances that would have been assists for Shaw since the restart alone. I don’t care if AWB has more assists, my eyes tell me Shaw is miles better on the ball. It’s not even debatable, he’s levels better going forward.

Our fans having agendas against certain players is weird to me. Is Shaw world class? No I don’t think so. Could we upgrade in the future? Potentially yes, but he is far from the biggest problem in our team & has been our best defender since the restart by quite some distance.

cyril C

The assist stat is meaningless. Rashford, Martial & Bruno have all been guilty of bad misses on chances that would have been assists for Shaw since the restart alone. I don’t care if AWB has more assists, my eyes tell me Shaw is miles better on the ball. It’s not even debatable, he’s levels better going forward.

Our fans having agendas against certain players is weird to me. Is Shaw world class? No I don’t think so. Could we upgrade in the future? Potentially yes, but he is far from the biggest problem in our team & has been our best defender since the restart by quite some distance.
Don't know why anyone would consider AWB better than Shaw on assist. Shaw's overlapping run, and most important of all, his timing, is miles ahead of Williams and AWB. William's timing is awful as if he never learn the trade. AWB's timing is OK but his delivery or cross is awful. IMO Dalot is better on his delivery but he is poor in every other aspects. Shaw's delivery is the ONLY threat that we can produce from wide, because Rashford likes to cut inside to try his luck, pass it off only when absolutely no chance. So when Rashford is in shitty form as yesterday, we had no chances created on the left.

Unfortunately we have no true summer break, otherwise AWB and Williams can work on their cross and run during the break.

Davs

I think our last few games without him have really highlighted his importance to the team. We're in far more control when he's playing.
This is true. His stability in the side is what has given us confidence at the back along that left side. Without him there and Brandon's inexperience we do look very vulnerable.

Davie Moyes

Any updates on if he can make Sunday? I would feel a lot more confident with him back in the team. Just gives us so much more down the left hand side.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You can't have it both ways. Use basic goals conceded for saying we have a good defense then disregarding basic goal and assist stats for attacking contributions of fullbacks. Shaw is decent fullback that fluctuates between 6/7/8 for most of his performances. the fact that he is our best fullback/defender should be very concerning especially after spending 130 million on defenders just last summer.

Raven

You can't have it both ways. Use basic goals conceded for saying we have a good defense then disregarding basic goal and assist stats for attacking contributions of fullbacks. Shaw is decent fullback that fluctuates between 6/7/8 for most of his performances. the fact that he is our best fullback/defender should be very concerning especially after spending 130 million on defenders just last summer.
Just because he doesn't play like Robertson does not make him bad or even average. The fact that the team plays much better when he's in it is enough for me.

Idxomer

Our 2nd most consistent and intelligent player after Martial.

While he gives a lot in defense, his contribution in midfield and attack isn't less important. He usually has the composure and awareness to drive us forward and also fill in gaps when it's needed. There was a post pointing out that Williams seemed to be trying to emulate his role in the team and this is where you see his importance and the huge gap in ability between them.

Of course, he isn't perfect and could improve his final ball but there's no denying we're missing him terribly right now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Just because he doesn't play like Robertson does not make him bad or even average. The fact that the team plays much better when he's in it is enough for me.
Slightly above average is not the standard I expect of a man united starter. You are welcome to disagree. If shaw plays at the level pre injury consistently(20 plus games) then he can stay and even start. In an ideal world he would be my backup lb. fecking sad though that the best fullback in the world plays for our biggest rivals.

Raven

Slightly above average is not the standard I expect of a man united starter. You are welcome to disagree. If shaw plays at the level pre injury consistently(20 plus games) then he can stay and even start. In an ideal world he would be my backup lb. fecking sad though that the best fullback in the world plays for our biggest rivals.
Slightly above average? What a ridiculous thing to say.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
On balance, I would say that when on form, AWB is a better defender. But his offensive play is still not good enough.
Luke Shaw is more experienced and more consistent.

I do think that Williams will turn out to be better than both.

spiriticon

He is our best full back currently yes, but our full backs are really really average in general.