Kick-off
Sun, 24 November 2019 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ........VS..........

Date - Sunday, November 24 2019
    Kickoff Time - 1630 Hrs GMT

Venue - Bramall Lane, Sheffield

Premier League Form Guide

7. Manchester United: LDWLW
    5. Sheffield United: DWDWD

Previous League meetings

Manchester United 2—0 Sheffield United

Sheffield United 1—2 Manchester United

Sheffield United 0—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 3—0 Sheffield United

Manchester United 2—1 Sheffield United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 40
    Sheffield United wins: 33
    Draws: 15

Pre Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Chris Wilder

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly, Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Paul Pogba ruled out. Scott McTominay, Diogo Dalot, Nemanja Matić, Luke Shaw and Axel Tuanzebe doubtful.

Sheffield United

Dean Henderson ruled out (on loan from Manchester United). John Egan doubtful.

Know the opposition

Sheffield United Football Club (nicknamed The Blades because of Sheffield's history as a steel city, Red and White Wizards and Red and White Army) is an English professional football club based in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Sheffield United was founded on 22 March 1889 at the Adelphi Hotel, Sheffield by the President of the Cricket Club, Charles Clegg (also the President of Sheffield Wednesday and later the Chairman of the Football Association).

Sheffield United's greatest years came immediately after their formation — as they enjoyed an unbroken 37-season spell in the top flight (which remains a record for a newly promoted team) won the League Championship in 1897/98, and were runners up in 1896/97 and 1899/1900. Since then Sheffield battled relegation to lower divisions, with the nadir proving to be the 1978/79 season where they were relegated to the Third Division. They enjoyed better years after the turn of the millennium — narrowly missing out on promotion playoffs for the Premier League in 2003/04 and 2004/05 (eventually securing promotion in 2006); as well as reaching the FA Cup and League Cup semi-finals. However, they were again relegated to the League One on 30 April 2011.

Sheffield United's most noteworthy rivalries include city neighbors Sheffield Wednesday (dubbed the Steel City Derby), Nottingham Forest, Barnsley, Leeds United, Doncaster Rovers and Rotherham United. Sheffield United play their home games at the historic Bramall Lane, the oldest major league ground in the world, having hosted its first game in 1862 a match between Sheffield Club and and Hallam. It also hosted the world's first ever floodlit football match on 14 October 1878.

Referee

Andre Marriner.

Familiar Faces

Dean Henderson (2011-present) and Ravel Morrison (2009-2012)

DRM

Huge game! Lose and we're back to square one

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Whoever is their reverse GK will put in a Friedel/Heaton-esque performance.

MrBest

For the first time in a long time, i see some positive change coming from results and players. It is not gane by game consistent but from the last 6 we have won 5 and played very well in 4, awful in the first against Partizan away and was complacent in the away gane against Bournemouth. Today was a huge test of complacency and we got the early goals, got complacent but for the first time in a very very very long time we showed urgency to score and that resulted in a quick fire goal. For the first tkme on a while, i think i am thinking clearly, we will beat Sheffield united away.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    Shame to curtail our momentum. The break has come at the worst time really, especially since we won’t be getting any players back for this.

bondsname

The team need to be at their absolutely best to get a win from this game. Should not underestimate Sheffield.

Hope Scott will make it back for this one.

Alemar

------------------de Gea---------------------
    Bissaka-----Tuanzebe---Maguire--Williams
    ---------McTominay----Fred----------------
    ---James---------Pogba------------Rashford
    --------------------Martial--------------------

RedDevilRoshi

Pogba & Tuanzebe not injured?

RedDevilRoshi

They are, but we have two more weeks to get them back, so maybe...
    I personally wouldn’t rush them back. Worst thing to happen is they end up aggravating it and they are out again for a further spell. Just like what we done with Pogba so he could play against Rochdale.

No rush.

Alabaster Codify7

Long break, then. I just can't see past a draw sadly.

------------------------DDG---------------------------
    AWB---------Lindelöf-------Maguire-----------Williams
    -------------McTominay------Fred---------------------
    James-----------------Mata--------------------Rashford
    ------------------------Martial---------------------------

SUBS - Pereira (Mata), Greenwood (Martial), Lingard (Rashy).

Sheff United 1 - 1 Man United
    Martial.

Irwin99

I know they have a good defensive record but how will SU set up to play? Heavy press or a defensive block?

RedDevilRoshi

I know they have a good defensive record but how will SU set up to play? Heavy press or a defensive block?
    A solid defensive block with a midfield that will scrap for every single ball and not allow us to settle and dictate the game.

From the games I’ve seen them play, their work rate is second to none.

AneRu

Tough match but we need to be winning these if we plan to make a push for top 4 or decent league finish. I don't remember if we have recorded back to back wins this season so if not we need to start with this one. Hope we score first and hit them hard on the break.

Irwin99

I am sure somebody says this every week :lol:
    I'm shifting to cautious optimism on the back of the last 4 or 5 games or so but i'm wary of the fact that the last two games in particular have seen teams just basically play into our hands with the space they've given us. It's surely a matter of time before someone cottons on to the idea that our counter attack is fecking lethal and it might not be a good idea to let Rashford James and Martial run into massive areas of space on the pitch.

I'd like to see us play a team that don't give us space before I start to get optimistic that this season is going to be an enjoyable one so this could be a good test to prove that it's not a false dawn.

Alemar

I personally wouldn’t rush them back. Worst thing to happen is they end up aggravating it and they are out again for a further spell. Just like what we done with Pogba so he could play against Rochdale.

No rush.
    We can easily play Rojo there, no problems. Just I wouldn't want to see Lindelof, I am afraid he is a bit off this year.

With Pogba, it's a bit more critical of course as Pereira (let alone Lingard or Mata) doesn't create enough to warrant a starting place.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
    If we win it'll be massive but I can see this ending up like Bournemouth and Newcastle.

A game where 2007/08 United would easily win but current United are pretty much guaranteed to lose.

Walters_19_MuFc

Will be a tough game. Have had some fantastic results so far this season.

Should have at least got a draw against Liverpool, beat Arsenal, drew with Chelsea, should have beaten Spurs.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
    Agree with this lineup. Hoping McT injury won't keep him down for this game and Ole won't bring fecking Young in over Williams. Stupid high challenge aside, that he was very lucky to not get a red card for, kid Williams had a great game against Brighton and needs to play.

Massive game for us. We NEED to win it. Absolutely have to. This and the next one with struggling Tottenham will set the tone for the season for us. With City struggling to break away, Arsenal and Tottenham at their worst, and Chelsea still unstable, we still have a tiny chance but we HAVE to win the next two matches

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    Can we play with 2 strikers with Martial playing deeper than playing any of Perreira or Lingard until Pogba comes back.

I just can't take anymore of watching how utterly uncreative and useless Perreira is. Never thought I'd want a player off the team as much as I did with Lingard. Watching Perreira be all clueless in that 10 role is almost depressing. Pogba can't come back soon enough.

RuudTom83

For what seems like forever this United team can only play well under certain scenarios.

Any team that is solid and sits back will cause them trouble. It needs the coaches to come up with a Plan B.

Getting rid of Lukaku/Fellaini/Sanchez is fine when Plan A is working but it needs addressing asap.

Adcuth

I really think currently, that's our best line up

eire-red

Our front three are lethal on the counter, but the problem is that we can't break teams down when they sit back, which is going to become more often than not if Martial and Rashford keep playing the way the are.

This is why having a controlling midfield and attacking full backs is crucial. Fred and McTominay are great at breaking up play and releasing the front 3, but we also need central players to dictate games and unlock defences, and aggressive full backs to overlap and stretch defences.

We still don't have that dynamic aspect to our game, and until we do we'll struggle in games like these. I'm going to go for a 1-1 draw, with the game playing out similar to Wolves away earlier this season. Hope I'm wrong, would love another attacking performance.

Al-T

Doubt Pogba will be back so hope that the McTominay injury isn't serious and that no one else gets injured.

Signs that we are starting to build some shape and momentum but always fear these international breaks for injuries.

always_hoping

A tricky tie on paper and Man United have already lost to worse teams than Sheffield United this season.

Mixed feelings about international break, whatever momentum was gained from the last two victories could be lost but on the other hand maybe the two week break will allow McTominay to be fit for this game?

As ever will probably have to score first in order to win and given Sheffield United defensive record they are unlikely to concede 2 goals.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    Sheffield United haven't lost a league game by more then one goal in like 14 months or something

We'll do very well to get a win here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 314 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win