Sheffield United...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Surely they should have fecked off by now?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Happens quite regularly with promoted teams now. The big test will be next season. Wilder is doing a fantastic job however.

Irwin99

Their next three games are against Bournemouth, Brighton and Norwich and they're all at home whilst the other teams around them all have potentially tricky games.

How is their home form?

Top 4 dark horses? :nervous:

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Their next three games are against Bournemouth, Brighton and Norwich and they're all at home whilst the other teams around them all have potentially tricky games.

How is their home form?

They’ve taken eight points from their last six home games. Their away form has been their strength this season.

Paul_Scholes18

They are similar to Wolves. Wingbacks and 3 central defenders. Very hard to break down with a solid midfield.
Unlike Wolves they lack the quality up front though.
Still somehow manage to get points a lot.

Might get into europe this season just like Wolves got last season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

How is their home form?

Those teams are hungry and desperate. Won’t be easy for them.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The league really is piss poor this year. Wolves have been crap every time they’ve played us in the last few weeks yet they’re meant to be one of the better teams. Even City have dropped off massively from last year. So yeah, gets to a point where Sheffield United are genuinely one of the better teams in the league. Hope they get top 4 if we don’t.

GenZRed

The league really is piss poor this year. Wolves have been crap every time they’ve played us in the last few weeks yet they’re meant to be one of the better teams. Even City have dropped off massively from last year. So yeah, gets to a point where Sheffield United are genuinely one of the better teams in the league. Hope they get top 4 if we don’t.
It feels like the gap between the Top 2 and rest of the league has never been wider. Also the Premier League title race has been non-existent this season, as it was in the 2017/2018 season. The Premier League in general is not as exciting as it was four seasons ago, for example.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Not sure there is a massive difference with most teams. Arsenal, Spurs and us have declined a lot since last season. Leicester improved and Chelsea slightly worse. Although I think Villa and Sheffield are far better than Cardiff and Fulham. Norwich and Huddersfield very poor, but Norwich are slightly better.
Most other teams play at a similar level. Everton worse without Gueye. West Ham slightly worse too. Burnley and Newcastle slightly better although pretty much equally dull and boring.
Brighton slightly better.

I guess overall it is probably worse than last year, but it is probably a far better league than it was 5-10 years ago. Not in terms of entertainment, but in terms of quality.

Bestietom

They are similar to Wolves. Wingbacks and 3 central defenders. Very hard to break down with a solid midfield.
Unlike Wolves they lack the quality up front though.
Still somehow manage to get points a lot.

Might get into europe this season just like Wolves got last season.
They're all monsters. 6ft plus guys. Sander Berge added now, is 6ft 5ins.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Chris Wilder is to my mind manager of the season even if Liverpool go the season unbeaten. Phenomenal job he has done. Nobody would have predicted Sheff United being in the top ten let alone the higher end of. Great to see a supporter managing his club and living the dream. I tip my hat to him.

Paul_Scholes18

Chris Wilder is to my mind manager of the season even if Liverpool go the season unbeaten. Phenomenal job he has done. Nobody would have predicted Sheff United being in the top ten let alone the higher end of. Great to see a supporter managing his club and living the dream. I tip my hat to him.
Yeah very impressive work. Although it is hard to compare. It can in some ways be easier to grind out mid table with weaker players if you get the tactics right and improve the collective.
Although with the players Klopp got it should be possible to most games with luck on your side. Doing it though is hard even if you are the better side in all games.
Also it is Klopp and his staff that improved all his players to reach that level in the first place. Although same can be said about Wilder, but he did it in lower leagues.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What's the problem with Sheffield?
Well, it’s February now, they’ve made their point, yet they keep winning games and getting in the fecking way, instead of fighting for survival as their collection of rubbish footballers should be doing!

NYAS

For me, they’re more impressive than Wolves last season, because they haven’t done it by way of being a Jorge Mendes satellite team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For me, they’re more impressive than Wolves last season, because they aren’t a Jorge Mendes satellite team and aren’t benefitting from him.
And plays better football too.

Varun

Staff
Well, it’s February now, they’ve made their point, yet they keep winning games and getting in the fecking way, instead of fighting for survival as their collection of rubbish footballers should be doing!
Given how shit we are, we could soon be going from rooting for city to prevent Pool winning the title to rooting for Sheffield to prevent Chelsea making top 4

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fear they'll fall just short but hope they get 4th.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Would love to see them get top 4 to be honest, it’s a great story and Wilder has done a fantastic job.

Robbie Boy

For me, they’re more impressive than Wolves last season, because they haven’t done it by way of being a Jorge Mendes satellite team.
Yeah I agree. It's unbelievable how well they're doing, especially when you look at their players they have plenty of lower league journeymen and players deemed not good enough for PL clubs.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah I agree. It's unbelievable how well they're doing, especially when you look at their players they have plenty of lower league journeymen and players deemed not good enough for PL clubs.
Yeah, fantastic achievement. Players trust each other and back themselves to execute their plans and all this without much investment.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Not here to make up the numbers as Wilder says. Doubters have been proved wrong every year since he’s come in. Long may it continue, get us that European money :devil: :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not going to say whether there manager is good enough for us or not -

But I really do want to see alot of their tactics on our ground. I love their back 352.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I smell a footie movie coming out next season in which a 60 year old Sean Bean comes out of retirement to help his injury hit Sheffield United side win the Champions League. He'll no doubt come off the subs bench & score a last minute winner in the final.

Edit : Or has it already been done ?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They'll do an Ipswich if they get into Europe next year.

Remember that stunning season they had in the mid 90s or somewhere around then, and then got relegated the next year!

markhughes

I smell a footie movie coming out next season in which a 60 year old Sean Bean comes out of retirement to help his injury hit Sheffield United side win the Champions League. He'll no doubt come off the subs bench & score a last minute winner in the final.

Edit : Or has it already been done ?
Haha, "When Saturday Comes", the sequel!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
They'll do an Ipswich if they get into Europe next year.

Remember that stunning season they had in the mid 90s or somewhere around then, and then got relegated the next year!
I think Sheffield United will be alright with the financial backing they have. Prince Abdullah is nowhere near the owners of City, PSG and Wolves in the wealth stakes but the signings they've made in January show intent and I expect that if they do qualify for the Europa League, the club will get the backing to cope with Europe.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wilder will need a big summer window. It's a difficult one because you naturally want to show loyalty to players who have done so well to get you this far, but his tactics will compensate and adorn their talent levels for so long. End up a little like Howe and Bournemouth.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Pub team, but with PL levels of fitness.

When they played us I had in mind a lower league team taking the game to a PL team in the FA Cup. Difference is, they keep going, they don't fade in the last 20 minutes.

What they call difficult to beat.

Paul_Scholes18

Wilder will need a big summer window. It's a difficult one because you naturally want to show loyalty to players who have done so well to get you this far, but his tactics will compensate and adorn their talent levels for so long. End up a little like Howe and Bournemouth.
The defense is alright. I think they need better strikers. They barely score any goals. 3-5-2 is at the core very defensive though.

Castia

When they played us I had in mind a lower league team taking the game to a PL team in the FA Cup. Difference is, they keep going, they don't fade in the last 20 minutes.

They play some decent stuff though. He’s got a good system there with the 352 he uses, it’s not like they’re playing with 11 Fellaini’s their football is better than ours.

Challenging for top 4 with that set of players he’s got in their first year up is ridiculous.

Hulme91

Don't agree with that assessment at all
They play some absolutely outstanding football
Wilder is a quality coach

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Im going to put this out there.

Wilder getting these lot top four would eclipse Leicester's title win on the scale of achievement stakes.

Paul_Scholes18

Wilder getting these lot top four would eclipse Leicester's title win on the scale of achievement stakes.
Disagree. Top 4 is easier than to win it. Granted the top sides when Leicester won it were poor.
They still got 80+ points though.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Not this season, given the quality - think it's a shit league this season.

Leicester had to win the games and cope with the runin pressure... biggest achievement (imo) since Clough/Forest did promotion, champions, European champions (which still ranks as my no.1)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Of course it isn’t. If Leicester got relegated that season nobody would have batted an eyelid.