Sheffield United

kidbob

Can we all pay respect to what an incredible season they have had? For a run of games they became our 'go to' team for taking points off rivals. They were probably considered the weakest of the promoted teams 'talent' wise but they have been incredible. Personally watching a team with three Ireland internationals playing regularly perform how they did is incredible. Wilder is an amazing coach and they are an amazing team. Genuinely they are my 'second' team next year. So beyond the praise what do they need to go to the next level and where do you think they will finish?

As long as we call them Sheff Utd, and don’t abbreviate to Sheffield then you can say what you like about them!

Brilliant season from them.

Expect them to struggle next year, but then of course most people would have expected them to struggle this year.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fair play to them, they had a great year. Well organised, well managed, and have shown quality at times too.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Despite the disappointing finish, no blade can be upset. What a season it has been and hearing the plans our owner has it’s an exciting time for us. Wilder will look to push on next season despite saying we won’t spend much (not sure if it’s a bluff but covid could have impacted plans).

We need to reconsider our formation I think, it has made us solid but so rigid going forward. We need to use a number 10 again but I’m not Wilder I know nothing :wenger: definitely need new forwards and back ups for CBs. A bit worried about who might be leaving but will get to that if it happens.

kidbob

Despite the disappointing finish, no blade can be upset. What a season it has been and hearing the plans our owner has it’s an exciting time for us. Wilder will look to push on next season despite saying we won’t spend much (not sure if it’s a bluff but covid could have impacted plans).

We need to reconsider our formation I think, it has made us solid but so rigid going forward. We need to use a number 10 again but I’m not Wilder I know nothing :wenger: definitely need new forwards and back ups for CBs. A bit worried about who might be leaving but will get to that if it happens.
Any positions in particular you think you need? I'm thinking goalscorer is the main concern?

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Any positions in particular you think you need? I'm thinking goalscorer is the main concern?
Yeah like I said, forwards needed. Seen us linked with Brewster on loan and Dennis which is promising but depends what our budget is really. Someone like Callum Wilson would be good but wages/injuries a concern for me.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Second season syndrome is here then, 3 games, 0 goals or points. Arsenal away next.

Big test for Wilder now. Teams giving them far more respect and worked out their unique system.

Badly need a new striker in with Billy Sharp a year older and McGoldtick and Oli Burke scoring about 5 goals between them in last two seasons.

Lee565

Looks like reality is possibly hitting a squad made up of mostly journeyman that wouldn't be out of place in the championship, could be a shock candidate to be relegated this season.

arthurka

Losing Henderson hasn't helped. They look worse defensively and their attack is non existent.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I don’t think we’ve been bad at all, just haven’t been able to score.

Santos J

They desperately need a striker but it's not like they've been particularly shite, I think if they get someone decent in up top they'll be fine.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You were pretty good today. Little more quality upfront would help though.
Interesting. I didn't watch the game and saw stats and saw Leeds had 9 shots on target which is pretty high for an away team so just assumed Sheffield were clinging on for dear life until the end but I take it the flow of game wasn't like that?

Just seen their next 5 games and it's very tough, danger they'll get cut adrift if they don't beat Fulham.

RedNed77

100%. This is why I won’t worry, it’s being worked on
Dont know if you’ve ever heard of him, but we’ve got a young lad who’s just come through our youth team who’s available called Jesse Lingard. You guys should probably look into it, I think we’d probably consider selling him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Interesting. I didn't watch the game and saw stats and saw Leeds had 9 shots on target which is pretty high for an away team so just assumed Sheffield were clinging on for dear life until the end but I take it the flow of game wasn't like that?

Just seen their next 5 games and it's very tough, danger they'll get cut adrift if they don't beat Fulham.
Yeah, probably bit harsh to judge them based on the shots, today.

They played some very nice football but the final third quality was lacking. Players ignoring the others who were in better position, taking shots from an extremely unusual position like that.

Based on today, they will be alright.

crossy1686

career ending
Going down this year.

The lack of a goal scorer and not looking as robust at the back will see them really struggle at the wrong end of the table

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Leeds were very much on top, though. Surprisingly so, but yeah a striker for Sheff Utd would help.
It was a good game of football. Leeds made the right decisions in the final third SFU just didn't.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They won’t go down. Fulham and West Brom are almost certs for me given their lack of quality. I think that last space has quite a few candidates that could easily go on a bad run.

It’s been argued that the strikers play a big role through their work rate and hold up play, but that’s not good enough in the PL. They were under big pressure last season to not concede in games and that is far harder to do consistently over a long period of time.

They probably need two more options there before the window closes, but at least one.

I think the team needs the confidence boost of knowing there are goals there, and after that, they can give anyone a game on their day. That can’t be said of a lot of bottom teams.

Canuckred64

Their strikers aren't good enough for the Premier. They should have trued fir Callum Wilson

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Jack O'Connell out for the season. I see they played Ampadu there today although I think he's slightly better in DM role.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Is it possible that there aren't better strikers at the wages you are offering? I mean EPL wages are amongst the highest compared to rest of europe.
For sure, that’s why we are looking at younger strikers like Brewster and Balogun

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Jack O'Connell out for the season. I see they played Ampadu there today although I think he's slightly better in DM role.
Ampadu replaced Egan, Robinson came in for O’Connell. Ampadu looked comfortable there today

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Second season syndrome. Teams have figured them out. They lack any quality whatsoever other than Sander Berge, who will surely move on soon. Levels ahead of his teammates.

paulscholes18

Wonder if their owners are tempted to pull the trigger on Chris Wilder, been shit since lockdown, got no plan B and didn’t invest wise enough on strikers.

Idxomer

I don't see much difference between them this season and last, they're still well-coached and drilled but like many said the fine margins that went their way last season are going completely the opposite way.

I don't think all is lost with them yet and could see them go on a decent run soon but they need some luck.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I don't see much difference between them this season and last, they're still well-coached and drilled but like many said the fine margins that went their way last season are going completely the opposite way.

I don't think all is lost with them yet and could see them go on a decent run soon but they need some luck.
Huge difference if you ask me.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
They move it around decently and they admirably stick to their convictions even when they're chasing a game late-on. It doesn't look to me like they're doing a lot wrong in their general play, though it's clear they lack quality players who can pull off pieces of individual brilliance.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They need 10 wins from 28 games to have fighting chance. Probably going to have to have a better winning run than at any point last season.

Left themselves too much to do already I think.