Gaming Shenmue III

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It'll probably be at least 3 years before they can present anything, right? It's not been in development even for a day yet?

Kaos

It'll probably be at least 3 years before they can present anything, right? It's not been in development even for a day yet?
They've got December 2017 as an initial release estimate, but I don't see us getting it before 2018.

Just put down $500, I'm crazy I know but fourteen years means I probably would have paid twice that :nervous:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think people who haven't played Shenmue might be a bit surprised. It was ahead of it's time back in the day in many ways (ugh qte shite for a start), but most of it has been replicated one way or another since and if you think about it, many will see it as dull.

That being said, I hope they do it justice and don't change the core too much though, it deserves a proper finish.

Redlambs

They've got December 2017 as an initial release estimate, but I don't see us getting it before 2018.

Just put down $500, I'm crazy I know but fourteen years means I probably would have paid twice that :nervous:
I doubt it will make 2017, but Shenmue isn't really a tough game to do by today's standards and with a smallish tight team, and proper plan for once (the opposite to a Sony game) then christmas 2017 is actually realistic.

Kaos

I think people who haven't played Shenmue might be a bit surprised. It was ahead of it's time back in the day in many ways (ugh qte shite for a start), but most of it has been replicated one way or another since and if you think about it, many will see it as dull.

That being said, I hope they do it justice and don't change the core too much though, it deserves a proper finish.
Without sounding too infatuated with the man, I genuinely think much of the game's unique appeal came from Yu Suzuki's vision. Yeah sure there's been a dozen or so games that have impressively replicated and enhanced on the scale we've seen in the Shenmue games, but none have matched its unique charm. Its the only game where I've genuinely enjoyed spending hours driving a feckin forklift and playing old sega arcade games within a sega game :lol:

Last edited:

Kaos

Never played the other games, what is it?
They were Dreamcast exclusives which were generations ahead of their time. You play as a young son of a martial artist in rural Japan who sets out to avenge his father's murder. The game then sets you on some epic journey where you're free to explore village, towns and cities to pick up any leads to bring you closer to the man who killed your father. I'm not really doing the premise justice so I recommend you watch a few videos to get acquainted :)

Redlambs

Without sounding too infatuated with the man, I genuinely think much of the game's unique appeal came from Yu Suzuki's vision. Yeah sure there's been a dozen or so games that have impressively replicated and enhanced on the scale we've seen in the Shenmue games, but none have matched its unique charm. Its the only game where I've genuinely enjoyed spending hours driving a feckin forlift and playing old sega arcade games within a sega game :lol:
Yes, most definitely. I loved it and wouldn't mind these games like it as long as they had as much detail. The sequel was an early example of a slightly, not so much dumbed, but streamlined though. Obviously with the bigger world and all that they needed a little more control, but losing the ability to rifle through literally every draw in your house, or having to find that one specific person to talk to rather than a number of people so gamers didn't get as confused, was a little sad.

I do recommend people play them, they are great games. But I reckon lots of people won't get it now or see what the fuss is about.

Kaos

Yes, most definitely. I loved it and wouldn't mind these games like it as long as they had as much detail. The sequel was an early example of a slightly, not so much dumbed, but streamlined though. Obviously with the bigger world and all that they needed a little more control, but losing the ability to rifle through literally every draw in your house, or having to find that one specific person to talk to rather than a number of people so gamers didn't get as confused, was a little sad.

I do recommend people play them, they are great games. But I reckon lots of people won't get it now or see what the fuss is about.
Yeah I have that fear too, but I think Suzuki is seeing this more as a final homage to legacy Shenmue fans for closure as opposed to actually trying to garner new fans to the series, abit too late for that I think considering this game will have skipped a whole console generation. The kickstarter's done exceptionally well so far though, I wonder how far they can go with it if they bring in Star Citizen levels of investment.

Edit: Its apparently been announced as the fastest game to break the $1million threshold on Kickstarer :eek:

Redlambs

Yeah I have that fear too, but I think Suzuki is seeing this more as a final homage to legacy Shenmue fans for closure as opposed to actually trying to garner new fans to the series, abit too late for that I think considering this game will have skipped a whole console generation. The kickstarter's done exceptionally well so far though, I wonder how far they can go with it if they bring in Star Citizen levels of investment.
Hopefully that's what it is.

My fear is the detail in 2 years. Sure, I could knock up a capable engine myself in that time, but the level/world building and intricate details that made them (especially the first) so brilliant.

I'm tempted to go dig out my Dreamcast now! :lol:

Zen

I wish there was a port somewhere. I don't really want to re acquire a Dreamcast to play the first. Marvellous game, although part of me wonders if it'll still hold up for me, but most other games I enjoyed around period have done so, so it should do.

Kaos

Hopefully that's what it is.

My fear is the detail in 2 years. Sure, I could knock up a capable engine myself in that time, but the level/world building and intricate details that made them (especially the first) so brilliant.

I'm tempted to go dig out my Dreamcast now! :lol:
Well all chapters of the story have been written, and much of the designs and concepts have also been drawn out by Suzuki and his team over a decade ago, in fact they were ready to jump into developing Shenmue 3 back in 2002 until the cnuts at Sega decided to pull the plug and focus instead on releasing a dozen terrible Sonic remakes. So I'd like to think they still have all the necessary blueprints which just require the love of a capable engine to have everything materialise. Its also reassuring that he's brought into much of the same creative team behind the games, even down to Ryo's original voice actor :)

Also, forget the Dreamcast, I've got a half a mind to dig up my feckin Genesis for some Outrun and Virtua Cop :lol:

Dante

Average bang
As long as you can still meet sailors at the docks, I'll be happy. I like to play games where I'm able to live out my fantasies.

JoaquinJoaquin

I wish there was a port somewhere. I don't really want to re acquire a Dreamcast to play the first. Marvellous game, although part of me wonders if it'll still hold up for me, but most other games I enjoyed around period have done so, so it should do.
Yeah i'm the same, Nearly pulled the trigger on buying a Dreamcast on eBay for old times sake.

Kaos

Just looked. No Xbox one version :(
I have a sneaky feeling that this kickstarter is only a test so Sony can gauge how popular it'll potentially be. If they're satisfied they I can see them picking up the bill for this (which btw would be heaps more than $2million) to develop it as a console Sony exclusive.

jeff_goldblum

Amazing news. Used to have both 1 + 2 on the Dreamcast back in the day, and recently me and my brothers have been working through the first two when we've all been together for Christmas.

Leg-End

I didn't think it would ever happen. My first kickstarter pledge, after 14 years how can I not?

CircusMonkey

They were Dreamcast exclusives which were generations ahead of their time. You play as a young son of a martial artist in rural Japan who sets out to avenge his father's murder. The game then sets you on some epic journey where you're free to explore village, towns and cities to pick up any leads to bring you closer to the man who killed your father. I'm not really doing the premise justice so I recommend you watch a few videos to get acquainted :)
Yes, Dreamcast's demise was a travesty, especially since the 'people's choice' was the PS2.
Shemue , skies of acadia, Crazy Taxi, JSR,MSR, Samba De Amigo, cHU cHU rocket, Silver, even typing the dead, shat over anything Ps2 had the offer.

Redlambs

Well all chapters of the story have been written, and much of the designs and concepts have also been drawn out by Suzuki and his team over a decade ago, in fact they were ready to jump into developing Shenmue 3 back in 2002 until the cnuts at Sega decided to pull the plug and focus instead on releasing a dozen terrible Sonic remakes. So I'd like to think they still have all the necessary blueprints which just require the love of a capable engine to have everything materialise. Its also reassuring that he's brought into much of the same creative team behind the games, even down to Ryo's original voice actor :)

Also, forget the Dreamcast, I've got a half a mind to dig up my feckin Genesis for some Outrun and Virtua Cop :lol:
Would it hurt you to know I recently played Altered Beast and Wonder Boy in Monster land on mine?

And yes, bringing back the original team is brilliant, it's what should happen all the fecking time :lol:

Yes, Dreamcast's demise was a travesty, especially since the 'people's choice' was the PS2.
Shemue , skies of acadia, Crazy Taxi, JSR,MSR, Samba De Amigo, cHU cHU rocket, Silver, even typing the dead, shat over anything Ps2 had the offer.
Microsoft were to blame for a lot of that.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Made my pledge. Now, SEGA, whatever red tape is stopping you from releasing Shenmue I & II in HD, sort it the feck out.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Shenmue brings back many mixed memories, not least of how graphically engrossing it was at the time. My favourite element was going to the arcades to play pixel-perfect Outrun or Space Harrier for hours on end.

However, it was my younger brother who found an incredible release through the game. He would walk down the streets, play street gambling games, etc, and just do 'normal' things. My brother was severely disabled and completely wheelchair bound so this was revolutionary for him (and for me when I watched him). I guess happy memories.

CircusMonkey

Would it hurt you to know I recently played Altered Beast and Wonder Boy in Monster land on mine?

And yes, bringing back the original team is brilliant, it's what should happen all the fecking time :lol:

Microsoft were to blame for a lot of that.
Don't start me on the that Breeze block of shite, still pisses me off that people choose hype, over creativity, not to mention the emergence of the hardware fetish and 'fan boy'.

Bojan11

Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3? the developer replied:

"Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet."

Redlambs

Don't start me on the that Breeze block of shite, still pisses me off that people choose hype, over creativity, not to mention the emergence of the hardware fetish and 'fan boy'.
Sony created casual gaming in the terms we know know, and they targeted Sega primarily because they knew they couldn't touch Nintendo for gaming. Hence why the PSX did 3D better than the Saturn, despite Saturn's superiority in the games of the time. All show, feck the go.

What MS did though was to flog a completely underdeveloped OS and then used that as leverage to force the changes they wanted. That's also the reason for the whole Rare debacle, because when their ideas for Sega never panned out they went after Nintendo's western leverage.

Redlambs

Shenmue brings back many mixed memories, not least of how graphically engrossing it was at the time. My favourite element was going to the arcades to play pixel-perfect Outrun or Space Harrier for hours on end.

However, it was my younger brother who found an incredible release through the game. He would walk down the streets, play street gambling games, etc, and just do 'normal' things. My brother was severely disabled and completely wheelchair bound so this was revolutionary for him (and for me when I watched him). I guess happy memories.
Was? But yeah, I can see why that'd be difficult mate. All I can say is the old cliche, focus on the positive memories :)

Kaos

This is bullshit from Sony. A big company like them relying on kickstarter to fund a game is ridiculous.
I don't think the kickstarter will fund the game in its entirety. I'm pretty sure its a way for Sony to test the waters and see how popular it'll be. The game was a financial disaster for SEGA, so they're a bit apprehensive about committing the big bucks for it.

Once it proves its demand (which it pretty much already has) then I can see Sony taking out the checkbook and funding the game itself. It certainly will cost much more than the $2million target on kickstarter, that's for sure.

Redlambs

I don't think the kickstarter will fund the game in its entirety. I'm pretty sure its a way for Sony to test the waters and see how popular it'll be. The game was a financial disaster for SEGA, so they're a bit apprehensive about committing the big bucks for it.

Once it proves its demand (which it pretty much already has) then I can see Sony taking out the checkbook and funding the game itself. It certainly will cost much more than the $2million target on kickstarter, that's for sure.
It's not a cynical ploy in those terms, it's an end to a series the fans want. There will be more funding, but how much does it cost to now commit to the game? How much are pre-orders based on lies and bullshots again?

Seriously, I know I'm one of the most cynical feckers on here (for well established reasons), but some of these ideas as to why this is bad...well that's beyond even my scope to shit on this :lol:

Kaos

It's not a cynical ploy in those terms, it's an end to a series the fans want. There will be more funding, but how much does it cost to now commit to the game? How much are pre-orders based on lies and bullshots again?

Seriously, I know I'm one of the most cynical feckers on here (for well established reasons), but some of these ideas as to why this is bad...well that's beyond even my scope to shit on this :lol:
Meh, either way I'm resigned to selling my soul to the devil to get the conclusion this game deserves, should it come to that.

At the very least it'll justify my purchase of the obsolete, dated scrap that is the PS4 :lol:

Kaos

I'd heard over the weekend rumours of Quantic Dream developing this.

Thank feck that never materialised, There's only so much "Press X to Lan Di" and QTE Ryo brushing his teeth that I can take.

(I'd still give each of them a sloppy if they announce Omikron 2 though)

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
As if you can make Shenmue 3 for $2mil
So why have the kickstarter? They could easily afford to produce the game if they want to. The whole argument about using it to gauge interest amongst the fans is bullshit, make a great game and the players will come, especially for a game with as much fans as Shenmue.

Kaos

So why have the kickstarter? They could easily afford to produce the game if they want to. The whole argument about using it to gauge interest amongst the fans is bullshit, make a great game and the players will come, especially for a game with as much fans as Shenmue.
Because the game almost financially crippled SEGA. Sony aren't just going to make it rain on Yu Suzuki on a game that was last released 14 years ago (at a cost of $60million) and considered a commercial flop. Yeah the fanbase is passionate but that's going to mean squat to the corporates over at Sony.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
They need to release 1&2 on PS4. Most people (like myself) will have no idea what it's about or know the story

jeff_goldblum

Because the game almost financially crippled SEGA. Sony aren't just going to make it rain on Yu Suzuki on a game that was last released 14 years ago (at a cost of $60million) and considered a commercial flop. Yeah the fanbase is passionate but that's going to mean squat to the corporates over at Sony.
Yeah I read somewhere that in order for Sega to break even on the franchise every Dreamcast owner in the world would have to buy 2 copies of each game.

Kaos

They need to release 1&2 on PS4. Most people (like myself) will have no idea what it's about or know the story
They just might do, at the very least they'll have a recap.

But older games within a series don't necessarily have to be remade for new audiences for it to be approachable - just look at the Witcher 3 and Mass Effect 2 for PS3 owners.

The story isn't all that complicated either (not like Witcher levels anyway). Some big bad Chinese mobster has killed your dad and stolen a mysterious artifiact, so you travel the world finding this man and artifact. Boom, there's the premise.