Gaming Shenmue III

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
This sounds like a game that I would love to play. Not going to put any money into the kickstarter though, despite the good deal on the digital version of the game because I like to collect a physical library of games for my consoles

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I dont know if it's mentioned here before but heard Sony is officially supporting this now.

Uniquim

Woah woah woah. Is this for real?

I was the only one I knew that got the Dreamcast, but I played the hell out of Shenmue. I still feel like putting 'able to drive a forklift' on my resume would be justified.

I'm reading through the links now, what platform is this for? PS4?

Leg-End

Woah woah woah. Is this for real?

I was the only one I knew that got the Dreamcast, but I played the hell out of Shenmue. I still feel like putting 'able to drive a forklift' on my resume would be justified.

I'm reading through the links now, what platform is this for? PS4?
PS4 and PC.

Kaos

This sounds like a game that I would love to play. Not going to put any money into the kickstarter though, despite the good deal on the digital version of the game because I like to collect a physical library of games for my consoles
You can get a physical copy providing you donate at least $60

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
You can get a physical copy providing you donate at least $60
That seems to be only for PC

I wonder if they will reach the $10mil target...funding seems to have dried up now

Leg-End

It's still on pace for a decent amount, they always surge at the start and then again at the end. But yeah they need some more pledge options and stretch goals in there to keep it ticking over, I suspect if they could work out a PS4 physical option a ton more people would either up their pledge or join.

Like Lambs says though, I doubt Sony's pockets will heal up if they have to pony up $2-3 million to let Yu make the game he wants to, they probably spend that on Polyphony Digital's vacuum cleaner rentals every release.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I couldn't be arsed to try to dig out my DC to play Shenmue again so I'm trying an emulator. I tell you what, it looks bloody ace high res with the widescreen option (it's a real geometry adding option too, not a stretch, which is class).

Well worth trying for those who have never played it and can't get a DC.

Leg-End

I couldn't be arsed to try to dig out my DC to play Shenmue again so I'm trying an emulator. I tell you what, it looks bloody ace high res with the widescreen option (it's a real geometry adding option too, not a stretch, which is class).

Is that the nulldc one? I've been using that and I agree graphically some of these games still hold up. Had a blast playing F355 Challenge, gave Shenmue a quick go too and it just works.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Is that the nulldc one? I've been using that and I agree graphically some of these games still hold up. Had a blast playing F355 Challenge, gave Shenmue a quick go too and it just works.
Might have to hit that up, and see what these are about.

Also an opportunity to play Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II and Power Stone.

DFreshKing

Big surprise this one, thought we were never going to get the ending the series deserves.

Hope they stick to the formula of the first one as much as possible, the idea of modernising worries me, already talking about instant no training scrolls.....

Sure it will deliver the storyline though.

caid

Big surprise this one, thought we were never going to get the ending the series deserves.

Hope they stick to the formula of the first one as much as possible, the idea of modernising worries me, already talking about instant no training scrolls.....

Sure it will deliver the storyline though.
I think its safe to say that standing in a park for 3 days game time practicing the same kick to level it is probably gone. I can live without it i think

DFreshKing

I think its safe to say that standing in a park for 3 days game time practicing the same kick to level it is probably gone. I can live without it i think
Well I think I may have to cancel my pledge! :p

Setting your alarm for a days work as fork lift truck driver/Dock worker better be still there mind, plenty of modern style games available, I want Shenmue.....

caid

Well I think I may have to cancel my pledge! :p

Setting your alarm for a days work as fork lift truck driver/Dock worker better be still there mind, plenty of modern style games available, I want Shenmue.....
Yeah i liked the routine the first one set.
Im hoping for more of the same really. 2nd analogue stick for the camera is about the only modern development i really want them to get in.

Skizzo

Remember my friend and I playing this for hours. Both 1 and 2. This was probably the first game I ever really got into, and we must have been about 15 at the time.

I still think Shenmue is responsible for his love of the Asian culture. He took up martial arts and even fecking moved to Japan to teach English :lol:

It just made me a lazy bastard and stay home playing games :)

Revan

Assumptionman
@Kaos

Can you please give a small review of the first two games. If I'll ever play Shenmue 3, I guess that I must first play Shenmue and Shenmue 2.

Am I right on assuming that they are very story driven games? Also, do you remember how much time you can play both of them? I don't want to spend several hundred of hours in them.

Kaos

@Kaos

Can you please give a small review of the first two games. If I'll ever play Shenmue 3, I guess that I must first play Shenmue and Shenmue 2.

Am I right on assuming that they are very story driven games? Also, do you remember how much time you can play both of them? I don't want to spend several hundred of hours in them.
Yeah, heavily story and dialogue driven. The main game itself isn't really all that long, it just depends on how long you get sidetracked. But honestly this isn't really a game you want to rush through, a lot of the charm comes from doing tasks outside the story - visiting arcades, minigames, doing jobs and so on. They sound bizarre and mundane but trust me on this one :lol: - a huge amount of detail has gone into these games, so you should enjoy it.

Its been described as many genres but I've coined it uniquely as a 'Revenge martial arts life simulator™'. First game is set in small Japanese towns and villages. Your dad gets killed by bad martial arts man and steals mystical object, you follow his trail by talking to locals and following leads, you fight people, drive forklifts, and so on. Shenmue II takes your trail to Hong Kong where you pretty much do the same stuff albeit in a different setting, the game ends in a massive cliffhanger where you end up in China, meet some girl you see in your dreams and you both find some mysterious cave where you find another mystical object. This is where Shenmue 3 picks up.

I'm pretty sure they're going to release a HD release of the previous two games between now and Shenmue 3's release, otherwise I'd just go ahead and play it if you can put up with the dated graphics (gameplay still holds up solidly).

Edit: Weren't you banned?! Welcome back.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah, heavily story and dialogue driven. The main game itself isn't really all that long, it just depends on how long you get sidetracked. But honestly this isn't really a game you want to rush through, a lot of the charm comes from doing tasks outside the story - visiting arcades, minigames, doing jobs and so on. They sound bizarre and mundane but trust me on this one :lol: - a huge amount of detail has gone into these games, so you should enjoy it.

Its been described as many genres but I've coined it uniquely as a 'Revenge martial arts life simulator™'. First game is set in small Japanese towns and villages. Your dad gets killed by bad martial arts man and steals mystical object, you follow his trail by talking to locals and following leads, you fight people, drive forklifts, and so on. Shenmue II takes your trail to Hong Kong where you pretty much do the same stuff albeit in a different setting, the game ends in a massive cliffhanger where you end up in China, meet some girl you see in your dreams and you both find some mysterious cave where you find another mystical object. This is where Shenmue 3 picks up.

I'm pretty sure they're going to release a HD release of the previous two games between now and Shenmue 3's release, otherwise I'd just go ahead and play it if you can put up with the dated graphics (gameplay still holds up solidly).

Edit: Weren't you banned?! Welcome back.
I was just in a requested temporary ban (exam session). The tagline wasn't exactly precise.

Do you think that I can have the full experience (for both games combined) within a hundred hours?

Dated graphics doesn't mean anything at me.

Kaos

I was just in a requested temporary ban (exam session). The tagline wasn't exactly precise.

Do you think that I can have the full experience (for both games combined) within a hundred hours?

Dated graphics doesn't mean anything at me.
Yes, that's more than enough :lol:

This isn't one of those classic RPGs that take a year to complete, you can get through them both relatively quickly. I finished the first game in a weekend I seem to remember, so you'll be fine.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes, that's more than enough :lol:

This isn't one of those classic RPGs that take a year to complete, you can get through them both relatively quickly. I finished the first game in a weekend I seem to remember, so you'll be fine.
Cheers! I'll definitely play them before the third one is released. As you're aware, I love the games which have good story.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Going to try the emulator later on. My terrible PC should be able to run it fine I hope

Redlambs

Going to try the emulator later on. My terrible PC should be able to run it fine I hope
Let me know if you need help, the PAL version has saving issues (but your save file works into number 2, unlike the ntsc version).

Cheers! I'll definitely play them before the third one is released. As you're aware, I love the games which have good story.
An eyeball simulator is what I'd call it. You get told feck all, and nothing is highlighted, the point is to actually live as Ryo and experience the world as him. So you basically look at everything (and I mean every single drawer you come across for a start, they all bloody open) and you talk to people over and over and about 50 times more.

It's pretty great! :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
An eyeball simulator is what I'd call it. You get told feck all, and nothing is highlighted, the point is to actually live as Ryo and experience the world as him. So you basically look at everything (and I mean every single drawer you come across for a start, they all bloody open) and you talk to people over and over and about 50 times more.

It's pretty great! :lol:
It sounds terrifying for someone like me who hasn't played many open world games.

Redlambs

It sounds terrifying for someone like me who hasn't played many open world games.
Don't be, you get into it quickly and it's not as tricky to navigate as you think.

It's a proper game that doesn't hold your hand, but that doesn't mean you get lost every 5 mins or wind up completely stuck. It is surprisingly intuitive and you always figure out where to go simply by talking.

Kaos

Nah its pretty easy to pick up. Just remember that nothing is pointless in the game. Looking for a bunch of sailors at a bar? (Don't ask) then feel free to go ahead and ask the old lady working at the Sushi shop. Looking for a martial arts master? Then why not play with some feckin cat for about 10 minutes.

Redlambs

Nah its pretty easy to pick up. Just remember that nothing is pointless in the game. Looking for a bunch of sailors at a bar? (Don't ask) then feel free to go ahead and ask the old lady working at the Sushi shop. Looking for a martial arts master? Then why not play with some feckin cat for about 10 minutes.
Is "that day" about a major terrible experience you witness right before your eyes?

Nah, it's actually about when the snow melted...

Kaos

Is "that day" about a major terrible experience you witness right before your eyes?

Nah, it's actually about when the snow melted...
:lol: Yes!

Some of the dialogue sounds so bizarre it could be straight out of a David Lynch movie. The terrible monotone voice acting adds to the charm too.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Let me know if you get a working one. Mine keeps crashing if i change controls to keyboard.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
@Redlambs Which emulator did you use?

Edit - Nevermind just saw the post above!

Last edited:

Neelu

What emulator? What exactly is the issue, i.e a straight program crash? When does it happen?

I use a controller with NullDC and the only problem I've come across is saving with Pal shenmue, but I might beable to help.
Hmm, seems to be working now. Was happening when i tried to change key bindings. Emulator was in C drive so maybe it didnt have write permissions and was crashing.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
My PC is a real piece of crap. Got it working but the frame would go down to like 15-20 fps unless I played it in a small box.

@neelu91 Do you know how to check the keyboard controls?

Neelu

My PC is a real piece of crap. Got it working but the frame would go down to like 15-20 fps unless I played it in a small box.

@neelu91 Do you know how to check the keyboard controls?
Options-> Maple-> Port A-> key bindings.

Bojan11

I'm watching the kickstarter q&a on twitch, it will be up on YouTube too. But people have to watch because of the train wreck of a host.

Leg-End

God he's a fecking idiot, I can't be arsed to watch it because of him.

Really the company hired to produce this KS has been shit from the start, they've only been consistent at throwing out email updates regular but apart from that I'd say a ton of the interest being generated is from the fans and not the company who's job it is.