Gaming Shenmue III

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The question on everyone's minds: will it have the same arcade that allowed you to play the perfect versions of Outrun and Space Harrier? If so I'll consider buying it.

Irwin99

Dials emergency services number...."i'm too old for crank calls". bah!

Art Vandelay

From what I've read parts of it sound very Shenmue, which is what I want, but parts sound like really bad design. Like you can't pause while working or doing a minigame or it quits the activity and skips forward. It sounded like it needs a patch or two, so I'll wait.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It's going to be old, tired and something younger gamers will never understand.

It's also going to be very ropey technically speaking.

I think we can safely say this isn't a game for a new audience, this is a thank you to the community who wanted the original classics to just go further. And in the day and age of nostalgia influenced trash endlessly ruined by trying to also appeal to a new audience, I kind of welcome that. If you are going to do nostalgia, do it right.

I'm just surprised it's even released, let alone as it it.

Bojan11

The main issue I have is the story isn’t finished. Which is sort of bullshit considering if they do go around the Kickstarter route again, I doubt it will be backed near as much. He should have swallowed his pride and just finished the story. Then talk about releasing sequels.

Art Vandelay

The main issue I have is the story isn’t finished. Which is sort of bullshit considering if they do go around the Kickstarter route again, I doubt it will be backed near as much. He should have swallowed his pride and just finished the story. Then talk about releasing sequels.
Well his original plan was 16 games if I remember right, so squeezing it into 3 might not work so well. It might go a bit Game of Thrones.

macheda14

Well his original plan was 16 games if I remember right, so squeezing it into 3 might not work so well. It might go a bit Game of Thrones.
Game of thrones tried to squeeze a pre existing story that followed what will come in the books into a short amount of time. This guy should just rewrite his plan.

Irwin99

72 on metacritic which is fairly encouraging considering the style and retro feel. I'm not sure i'd want it to be different from the past games, just let it be nice to look at and let me hear Ryo's ultra polite and boring voice again.

Kaos

I love it so far, but I am a huge shenmue fanboy though (donated £150 to the kickstarter :nervous:)

Only thing I really don't like is the Stamina system and constantly having to eat, made worse when you're doing trivial shit like running. Its a pointless mechanic from the SNES era no one asked for.

Irwin99

Took the plunge and bought and I like it so far and i'm having a lot of fun with it (4 or 5 hours in). Starting to think some people expected it to have the impact the original game had back then when it was so fresh and different, and that was never really going to happen. This is just the old Shenmue with a new lick of paint and slightly clunkier combat. I don't think I'd want it any other way.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
16 games, but the story+screen play is hardly anything special so far tbh (fairly simple so far with cheesy moments) and I was a fan and played both shenmue’s on the dreamcast when they just came out. It’s also riddled with “hero gets all the chicks but he is oblivious to his coolness and their obvious feelings” cliches that show up in alot of japanese animes, so yeah... not sure what amazing plot twists and layers of in depth thinking is awaiting us if the story up til now is only 20 pct done.

Anyway I remember being a huge fan of this series and bought Shenmue 1 and 2 again on steam last year to support and to replay them (can’t find my dc anymore) in prep for 3. I was in for a shock. I simply could not get into it anymore. My tastes have changed in those 18 years it took for 3 to come out and I am just not interested anymore.

I believe alot is going to depend on that for other fans of 1 and 2 as well: how much have they changed over two decades?

Last edited:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
16 games, but the story+screen play is hardly anything special so far tbh (fairly simple so far with cheesy moments) and I was a fan and played both shenmue’s on the dreamcast when they just came out. It’s also riddled with “hero gets all the chicks but he is oblivious to his coolness and their obvious feelings” cliches that show up in alot of japanese animes, so yeah... not sure what amazing plot twists and layers of in depth thinking is awaiting us if the story up til now is only 20 pct done.

Anyway I remember being a huge fan of this series and bought Shenmue 1 and 2 again on steam last year to support and to replay them (can’t find my dc anymore) in prep for 3. I was in for a shock. I simply could not get into it anymore. My tastes have changed in those 18 years it took for 3 to come out and I am just not interested anymore.

I believe alot is going to depend on that for other fans of 1 and 2 as well: how much have they changed over two decades?
I feel like this, I just can't see the appeal of it now, it was basically a slow story game from what I remember. Can't see me enjoying that type of game these days.

The forklift races though :drool:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The thing is that it's never going to appeal to everyone, not even some who thought it was the best game ever in it's time.

The legacy should never be forgotten though, after all it remains lightyears ahead of everything since. Funnily enough, the only game that is as brilliant in such an odd way has only just come out.

But, just like mentioned above with Twin Peaks, it's nice that instead of forced awful nostalgia we get stuff genuinely made for the fanbase. And it's not at the expense of anything else, no development team was diverted from this, it was just a labour of love for the fans and the guys making it.

That's way better than most of the cynical trash we get served on a constant basis.

Irwin99

Had a sneaky look at some of the trophies and I'm not getting the platinum for this one. The combat is getting increasingly irritating but trying to raise money is weirdly fun in that there are a lot of ways to do it.

I think I might have messed up one part in the story by being too slow

I was supposed to tell Shenhua about this guy called Sun but when i got back home she said we were going to go and meet the thugs together at Hermit hovel ...i've now advanced the story (and got my ass kicked again by that big guy) but am no longer hearing anything about this Sun bloke. I wonder if that's the game telling me to hurry up.

Irwin99

Think i'm nearing the end of the game. It's not been bad at all but I am getting a bit fatigued by it now. The story just isn't showing enough urgency even at this (I presume) late stage. I'm all for a chilled, patient experience but this game was obviously written with a lot of padding. A slow burner is absolutely fine but;

I doubt i'm even going to see Lan Di at this point let alone fight him and with the game selling only moderately I wouldn't put too much confidence in Shenmue 4 being developed

I've still had fun though.I played Ico for the first time recently before this and I'm gonna play Death Stranding next. This is probably the most gentle succession of games I've ever played :lol:

Bojan11

Sadly the sales of this have been a disaster. Not really surprising as all the diehard fans backed it on Kickstarter. But it sold 18,000 in Japan and didn’t reach the top 10 in the UK, which again isn’t surprising as most UK gamers don’t seem to have any taste these days.

The disappointing thing is the guy was saying he needs 6 games to finish the story, when he should have just finished it right here. This was his moment because there’s no guarantee a Shenmue 4 will happen and it definitely won’t have the same amount of people backing it on Kickstarter next time.

caid

Sadly the sales of this have been a disaster. Not really surprising as all the diehard fans backed it on Kickstarter. But it sold 18,000 in Japan and didn’t reach the top 10 in the UK, which again isn’t surprising as most UK gamers don’t seem to have any taste these days.

The disappointing thing is the guy was saying he needs 6 games to finish the story, when he should have just finished it right here. This was his moment because there’s no guarantee a Shenmue 4 will happen and it definitely won’t have the same amount of people backing it on Kickstarter next time.
The exclusivity of the platforms probably didn't help. I can see it doing better when the price drops and it makes its way over to steam. It would have been a hard sell to the mass market, particularly with the approach to not really modernising it, so it was probably never going to be a big seller.

Irwin99

Completed it and traded in for Death Stranding. It had a few issues but I enjoyed it and i'd recommend it when it goes on sale to anyone who liked the first two.

It's a strange decision to have obvious emphasis on more sequels. I mean, this was crowd funded and has a very retro vibe that's not really going to appeal to younger gamers (at least I would think that). Might have been better off just finishing the story completely.

evil_geko

Even the most die hard Shenmue fans said how this is pretty bad game by today's standards that can only be enjoyed by Shenmue fans, there is no surprise that it's sales would be a disaster.

The voice acting is really cringe worthy, and I can enjoy some cringe voice acting but not this much, one can say cringe voice acting adds to the nostalgia of the previous games, but that is just lazy, nothing more.

Kaos

I have to say, as a huge Shenmue fan (put down $120 on the Kickstarter) I’ve been deeply disappointed by this.

If this had been released a few years after Shenmue II I would have probably loved it, but for 2019 standards the game just feels ludicrously dated.

I don’t see there being anymore sequels tbh, I’m certainly not inclined to back another one.