Shola Shoretire image 47

Shola Shoretire England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbackbebe

Yeah this is another point I agree with too. When you get your first team appearances you have to show something, something that sets you apart from everyone else. I think it's fair to say Rashford and Greenwood showed something different when they were given their opportunities, in a similar vein I think Iqbal has shown something a little different, albeit only in pre-season, and that's coming from someone who wasn't wholly convinced by him at U23 level.

It was pretty obvious from the get-go McTominay and Pereira were a bit shit yet both have wracked up loads of appearances for us, McTominay is on 170(!) which I find mental. Lingard, Tuanzebe, Chong, Williams ... the list goes on. All those players pretty obviously aren't and never were good enough yet got chance after chance.
Flair is easily noticed. Players lacking flair but good at other aspects of the game will take a while to get recognized by fans, but are more easily recognized by coaches who work with them.

Bojan Djordjic

Flair is easily noticed. Players lacking flair but good at other aspects of the game will take a while to get recognized by fans, but are more easily recognized by coaches who work with them.
Probably unfashionable to say but I think Mason Mount is an example of a guy who went from looking really bad to being really really good in a couple of seasons. Even Jack Grealish had some bad seasons with Villa before he had his leap and turned into one of the best players in the league.

bringbackbebe

Probably unfashionable to say but I think Mason Mount is an example of a guy who went from looking really bad to being really really good in a couple of seasons. Even Jack Grealish had some bad seasons with Villa before he had his leap and turned into one of the best players in the league.
Right. A good comparison would also be Joe Cole & Michael Carrick who both came from (almost) the same youth team at West Ham. Cole was a sensation by the age of 17 while Carrick was invisible & barely recognized by the age of 25. Arguably, they both had similar success eventually. Whether this applies to Garnacho vs Shoretire, only time will tell. I'd actually put my money on Garnacho over Shoretire myself, but won't write off Shoretire just yet since he's highly rated by the staff who see things we fans don't.

Last edited:

Nick7

Ten Hag wanted to keep him around.

its also so incredibly weird how he’s been written off after 5 appearances with the first team after just turning 18. Our fans have absolutely no patience.

DevTheRed

its also so incredibly weird how he’s been written off after 5 appearances with the first team after just turning 18. Our fans have absolutely no patience.
I think he’s the kind of player who could be a late bloomer.. seems really intelligent for a player of his age. Would’ve liked him to have gone out on loan but hopefully he gets minutes in the Europa League.

lenny_1248

He probably just refuses to sign a new contract... Hence why no loan.

TheReligion

Abusive
There was talk somewhere that it only runs until 2023. With him also signing with Jorge Mendes, he'll likely move on next summer for free if the contract until 2023 is true.
Can’t find anything on length but Garnacho signed his at the same time and I think it runs until 2025 or 24. Was longer than 2.

Alemar

its also so incredibly weird how he’s been written off after 5 appearances with the first team after just turning 18.
But he didn’t play well, there are many better players in the squad to play his role.

Prodigal7

He’s one of the most sought after talents in our entire academy. Bit of a Scholes in terms of people not really appreciating his qualities compared to the more direct players.
I can see him becoming a 1st team squad player this season under ETH, Shola is an ETH type of attacker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
my worry for him is he's a bit like Gomes. Great technically but doesn't seem particularly strong or fast

Baneofthegame

Not really been impressed whenever I’ve seen him, but I don’t follow the youth football as much.

Smores

It's wrong but if you don't have amazing first games you're quickly forgotten about. It should be common sense that young lads need to grow into the team but apparently not.

city-puma

ETH had used and integrated youngsters in Ajax. This is a good sign. It’s upto the youngsters to impress the manager to play them.

Nick7

It's wrong but if you don't have amazing first games you're quickly forgotten about. It should be common sense that young lads need to grow into the team but apparently not.
He’s played just over an hour of first team football, mostly in a team that’s been struggling badly. It’s utterly insane that anyone is judging him on that.

flappyjay

Yeah greenwood was given time to grow into the team he didn't hit the ground running Rashford styles. Shoretire will need some time and is probably going to fit in better when the team gets more comfortable with ten hag ball.

Alemar

You're proving his point...
The problem is, there are not just “better players” in the squad (of course senior players should be better), there are many better youngsters. You can’t justify playing Shoretire in the first team ahead of Hannibal, Garnacho or Iqbal, let’s say, it would send entirely wrong message and won’t be on merit

Trequarista10

The problem is, there are not just “better players” in the squad (of course senior players should be better), there are many better youngsters. You can’t justify playing Shoretire in the first team ahead of Hannibal, Garnacho or Iqbal, let’s say, it would send entirely wrong message and won’t be on merit
But you're just proving his point really

Glorio

But you're just proving his point really
I might be missing something, but I don't see how he's proving the initial point. Accepting that someone isn't ready for the big time yet based on their performances isn't the same as writing them off.

SAFMUTD

my worry for him is he's a bit like Gomes. Great technically but doesn't seem particularly strong or fast
That's my concern as well, he seems specially lightweight and he doesn't have any pace. I know he just turned 18, but to play in the premier league you need certain physicality or to be technically special. So odds are against him.

Trequarista10

I might be missing something, but I don't see how he's proving the initial point. Accepting that someone isn't ready for the big time yet based on their performances isn't the same as writing them off.
Because the poster he was responding too didn't mention anything about Shola being ready, just that you can't write someone so young off after a few minutes. We'll see over the next couple seasons which youngsters are better. Sometimes the ones who make it weren't the pick of the bunch or best performers as kids, and sometimes the best performers as kids end up playing low level football or are out of the game in the blink of an eye.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He’s one of the most sought after talents in our entire academy. Bit of a Scholes in terms of people not really appreciating his qualities compared to the more direct players.
I can see him becoming a 1st team squad player this season under ETH, Shola is an ETH type of attacker.
My bet is he's more Lingard than Scholes. He's young but I've never really seen it with him. He's an attacker but doesn't excel at anything in particular.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’ve always thought he was significantly bulkier than Gomes, fair bit taller too. Gomes was an anomaly with how small and lean he was.

Adam-Utd

I’ve always thought he was significantly bulkier than Gomes, fair bit taller too. Gomes was an anomaly with how small and lean he was.
He does look stockier, but always seemed to get a bit pushed about in the few cameos i've seen of him.

Hopefully will put some muscle on.

I think the biggest issue is I don't really know is he a 10, 8, winger?

I think United need to be more like Chelsea in the way they loan their players more often + sell with buy back clauses who aren't close to making it.

The likes or Garner who would only be bench riders but could go on to be top class etc. Maybe Shola will fall into that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He does look stockier, but always seemed to get a bit pushed about in the few cameos i've seen of him.

Hopefully will put some muscle on.

I think the biggest issue is I don't really know is he a 10, 8, winger?

I think United need to be more like Chelsea in the way they loan their players more often + sell with buy back clauses who aren't close to making it.

The likes or Garner who would only be bench riders but could go on to be top class etc. Maybe Shola will fall into that.
Yeah I’m not really sure with him either to be honest, he’s capable of an incredible performance here and there (like against Blackburn and Liverpool last season) but I do think he lacks the ability to grasp a game by the scruff of its neck too often. Funnily enough it’s a complaint I had about Gomes too. Also agreed with the loan point, although to be fair it’s very easy to forget just how young Shoretire is, he’s clearly very highly rated considering he’s been playing U21/23 football since he was 16.

I think he may end up as a 10 or even a second striker but not sure yet.

Trequarista10

Top clubs in general are not the best place for late bloomers, only loans may help
Nobody has said otherwise, although I'd question your definition of late bloomer. He's 18 and virtually exactly where you'd expect an 18 year old to be in terms of development. He will have a loan when he's ready for a loan. Plenty of players aren't ready for first team adult football until they are 19-20.

Deery

Dreary
I always thought he was a mint little player and looked better than Amad or Elanga…

Abraxas

I think he's a player that will take a while to come to fruition. He's a technical player not someone to blaze past first teamers with pace or a clinical Greenwood type player. That means he'll need time and experience so he becomes an effective player within a system. Lingard was like this when he was younger, he wasn't lightening or ruthless in the final third, he was a link player.

The problem is he looks more like a ten to me, and as we know it is extremely hard to make that position your own these days. You have to be completely clinical in your output or a physical pressing monster. So there's a lot to do for a youngster for that role. But there is a possibility he could play elsewhere.

Marwood

I don't think any of the young players have done enough to think they should be the first one to get a shot. There isn't a Giggs or Rooney in the bunch, a young lad looking freakishly ready at 17/18.

I like Shola. Does somple things well which this squad has really needed.

And he looks to me to have the potential to be a little powerhouse.

Good enough or not who knows. But the same question mark applies to all of them. Even Garnacho whose hype as already surpassed his performances.

In Rainbows

I don't see the Gomes comparison at all. Gomes' tools stood out. Great through ball ability, and amazing first touch. Shoretire's tools don't stand out. Everything he does is a little more subtler, unlike many of our previous standout talents.

Similar to end product, Gomes was ahead of Shoretire. I thought Gomes had longer periods of outstanding performances than Shoretire. A more similar player is probably Greenwood if you took away his two footedness and his insane end product.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

I don't see the Gomes comparison at all. Gomes' tools stood out. Great through ball ability, and amazing first touch. Shoretire's tools don't stand out. Everything he does is a little more subtler, unlike many of our previous standout talents.

Similar to end product, Gomes was ahead of Shoretire. I thought Gomes had longer periods of outstanding performances than Shoretire. A more similar player is probably Greenwood if you took away his two footedness and his insane end product.
similar in the sense of physicality if you read the post. He’s neither quick or strong which can be an issue in mens football.

Being tidy sometimes just isn’t enough in the PL especially if you’re going to only be trusted in a wide position to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.