Shola Shoretire

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
He means having his teenage children abused online by clueless idiots who demand they be starting for the first team at age 16.

Not a great experience I'm sure you would agree.
The exposure at that level is just so different these days. Televised games, social media, amateur scouting reports.

I mean you'd have a handful of folks in the past going to ressies or U18 games in the past and talking to their pals in the boozer.

Now you've got U15 prospects names all over social media...it's a mad new world.

I've enjoyed watching youth football so I'm a hypocrite in that sense....away from the 3 odd years living in Manchester going to youth and reserve games regularly...highlights or media coverage is where I've watched.

But you do have to remember, on a public forum, you are talking about kids really...and thats the point you seem to make that I couldn't agree more with...

Positives and negatives I guess...but is it great for the players to be so scrutinised at that age in youth football by the mass public? I'm not so sure tbf.

And I know people will say they have to learn to deal with that...but that should be part of the learning curve of being a first team player. It is so much harder for clubs to shield young players from that...

Though I'm not talking from experience obviously. Just my thoughts.

voyasvirta

The gradual rise of Mason has given me hope that the club knows best how to take care of highly rated young players like Shola and Hannibal. United were doing a wonderful job of shielding Mason from media attention even when he scored 18 goals as a 18 yo.
And it's nice to have Shola's dad chip in with his thoughts. I've loved watching him play, especially in recent weeks.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Shola's dad, that was an unexpected turn of events. :lol:

I was watching some videos of Amad for us when he got named on the bench, and I have to say I was left way more impressed with both Hannibal (why isn't he on the bench yet?) and Shola - the latter more so because he's a full year younger than the other two.
We've got some fine young players coming through from the academy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The gradual rise of Mason has given me hope that the club knows best how to take care of highly rated young players like Shola and Hannibal. United were doing a wonderful job of shielding Mason from media attention even when he scored 18 goals as a 18 yo.
And it's nice to have Shola's dad chip in with his thoughts. I've loved watching him play, especially in recent weeks.
Are you new to United?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Shola's dad, that was an unexpected turn of events. :lol:

I was watching some videos of Amad for us when he got named on the bench, and I have to say I was left way more impressed with both Hannibal (why isn't he on the bench yet?) and Shola - the latter more so because he's a full year younger than the other two.
We've got some fine young players coming through from the academy.
I think Amad has had more exposure to reserve team football than the latter, I might be wrong mind you as I'm not as up with it all as I used to be.

I think we have another promising group of young players as you say. The idea of them making the transition to the first team is the dream for them and us...but preparing them for a career in football has to be just as important.

Whether x y or z makes the United first team, always hope that if they don't they pursue a good career. It can be difficult for highly rated youngsters after they leave the larger and more prestigious clubs.

Tom Thorpe, Liam Grimshaw, Ryan Tunnercliffe, Ravel of course, Llarnel Cole, James Wilson come to mind...some are now finding their way after getting the right club. There are plenty more. Daehli was another I really enjoyed watching!

Right now I just hope the likes of Hugill, McNeill, Shoretire, Mebrji etc continue to develop and stay free of injury. The latter has proven to be a problem for players of 16-19 and United have had a few where you wonder what if they hadn't had long term lay offs.

They will all have good games, bad games and everything in between ....but you just feel they need thr space and freedom to learn and enjoy the game without criticism from an over enthusiastic or expectant fan base.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Great news and what an achievement to get called up to first team training with Hannibal, future is bright for them both. Managed to get my Italian pal, who used to play professionally, start watching our ressies with the Blackburn game and he was super impressed with Shola and "the david luiz one" :lol: . Hopefully this lads got us a new fan!

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Super excited by this lad, he seems to have the attitude and hard work to make sure he gets the most from his talents

manutddjw

At the beginning of the game yesterday the commentator was absolutely raving about him saying remember the name Shola Shoretire. Was odd because he wasn’t even on the bench.

bdecuc

The exposure at that level is just so different these days. Televised games, social media, amateur scouting reports.

I mean you'd have a handful of folks in the past going to ressies or U18 games in the past and talking to their pals in the boozer.

Now you've got U15 prospects names all over social media...it's a mad new world.

I've enjoyed watching youth football so I'm a hypocrite in that sense....away from the 3 odd years living in Manchester going to youth and reserve games regularly...highlights or media coverage is where I've watched.

But you do have to remember, on a public forum, you are talking about kids really...and thats the point you seem to make that I couldn't agree more with...

Positives and negatives I guess...but is it great for the players to be so scrutinised at that age in youth football by the mass public? I'm not so sure tbf.

And I know people will say they have to learn to deal with that...but that should be part of the learning curve of being a first team player. It is so much harder for clubs to shield young players from that...

Though I'm not talking from experience obviously. Just my thoughts.
Agree with you re allowing a learning curve for young players to deal with public comments. This is a public forum and it shouldn't take too much cop on for people to keep comments about young players positive. Generally if I didn't have a positive comment to make about a young player I'd keep it to myself.

KevinJoh

It is ridiculous how people on boards like this are certain in their opinion on boys that are still developing, better than coaches, managers, doctors. Just by watching a few games, even not watching trainings to see what those kids are doing and what to look for in a game. It would be nice to know if they have ever worked with youngsters on the training ground, developing them, getting the best out of them long term.

Shola (and all other kids in our Academy) would not be there if they are not talented and hard working. You are not getting to play for United at that level, or even smaller club if you are not. In games we can see only obvious things, but we can't know what is behind scenes. You don't know if coaches are developing some side of the players game and want to see improvement in that, not trying to get goals and assists. At young age, that improvement often comes at once, after looking at someone thinking he is going nowhere with this, and than suddenly after month or two you see he is there. Also, coaches are trying to develop them for first team, for different situations, often playing them out of main position in order to learn the way of thinking that their teammates will have. And of course, sometimes it is just not a day for them, maybe they had a bad day with girlfriend, or at school, or did not feel right. At the end, it is ridiculous even at top level that football 'experts' are judging players by the stats. How many goals did you score or assist? Ffs they would probably sell Scholes or Carrick as they did not score or assisted as much as some other lads.

Shoretire is looking very good on the field against often 5 years older. He is brave enough to play against them without fear. It is more than enough and it will just get better. He will have bad patches for sure, but if he continues to work hard on the training ground every day, I am sure he will get there and will take opportunity. And he will need some luck as all others, with injuries, with results of the first team, but there is enough material for him, for Mejbri, for some other lads as well that I am sure at least one of them will be Man Utd first team player in no time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole confirms he's now part of the first team bubble. He's obviously hugely rated by the club!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It is ridiculous how people on boards like this are certain in their opinion on boys that are still developing, better than coaches, managers, doctors. Just by watching a few games, even not watching trainings to see what those kids are doing and what to look for in a game. It would be nice to know if they have ever worked with youngsters on the training ground, developing them, getting the best out of them long term.

Shola (and all other kids in our Academy) would not be there if they are not talented and hard working. You are not getting to play for United at that level, or even smaller club if you are not. In games we can see only obvious things, but we can't know what is behind scenes. You don't know if coaches are developing some side of the players game and want to see improvement in that, not trying to get goals and assists. At young age, that improvement often comes at once, after looking at someone thinking he is going nowhere with this, and than suddenly after month or two you see he is there. Also, coaches are trying to develop them for first team, for different situations, often playing them out of main position in order to learn the way of thinking that their teammates will have. And of course, sometimes it is just not a day for them, maybe they had a bad day with girlfriend, or at school, or did not feel right. At the end, it is ridiculous even at top level that football 'experts' are judging players by the stats. How many goals did you score or assist? Ffs they would probably sell Scholes or Carrick as they did not score or assisted as much as some other lads.

Shoretire is looking very good on the field against often 5 years older. He is brave enough to play against them without fear. It is more than enough and it will just get better. He will have bad patches for sure, but if he continues to work hard on the training ground every day, I am sure he will get there and will take opportunity. And he will need some luck as all others, with injuries, with results of the first team, but there is enough material for him, for Mejbri, for some other lads as well that I am sure at least one of them will be Man Utd first team player in no time.
Top post.

g11

after no.10 Hannibal went out, no. 7 Shoretire looks like the best player on the field - bar Arsenal's goalie.

lenny_1248

He looks so much better playing as a 10/second striker.
The way he opens himself up for a pass between the lines - he's really a smart player.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
its a quote by a random twitter account of something he said on the Talk of the Devils podcast.
Still. It ain’t that hard. It’s basic grammar everyone’s taught before they get into double digits in age.

Bwuk

Another great performance.

I can see him becoming what this forum seemed to think Angel Gomes would.

Drainy

I hope Gomes goes on to have a great career in the same way I do with every academy lad, but even at the time I wasn't too concerned about him moving on due to Shoretire and Mejbri coming through.

sglowrider

I hope Gomes goes on to have a great career in the same way I do with every academy lad, but even at the time I wasn't too concerned about him moving on due to Shoretire and Mejbri coming through.
It was obvious the coaches knew their options. So it's worth reading the Doomsday and ole outters in the angel thread. We will see the usual suspects there.

Red_toad

He's really hit an upward trajectory for the under 23's the last few games after initially struggling. Look so aware of everything going on around him. Finally showing the Caf doubters what he's all about.

sglowrider

He's really hit an upward trajectory for the under 23's the last few games after initially struggling. Look so aware of everything going on around him. Finally showing the Caf doubters what he's all about.
It must be blue skies every day where you live.. I won't be too hopeful. I bet some of them doubted Giggs, Vidic etc after only a few appearances.

Red_toad

It must be blue skies every day where you live.. I won't be too hopeful. I bet some of them doubted Giggs, Vidic etc after only a few appearances.
When a kid is highly rated and 17 competing against players in their early 20's I'm never going to be righting them off, as their coaches know best. Oh and yes it's beautiful 33c and blue sky's all the way today in Australia.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Has been excellent in last three matches for so. Fully justifying coaches call to promote him early. Shocking that they know something about football.

sglowrider

When a kid is highly rated and 17 competing against players in their early 20's I'm never going to be righting them off, as their coaches know best. Oh and yes it's beautiful 33c and blue sky's all the way today in Australia.
;) :cool:

Most here have never even coached their little girl's footy team but yet...

khoazany

Gomes is great and still is, can we stop those unnecessary comparison?

Only 1-2 months ago people here were calling Shoretire overhyped and should go back to play U18s football. Same thing happened with other lads like Mengi when they went through poor patch of form. Things change fast in underage football as everyone's still developing. So hopefully everyone is mindful and not let the knee-jerking we usually see on main forum to creep into here.

Last edited:

chattichattichatta

Gomes is great and still is, can we stop those unnecessary comparison?

Only 1-2 months ago people here were calling Shoretire overhyped and should go back to play U18s football. Same thing happened with other lads like Mengi when they went through poor patch of form. Things change fast in underage football as everyone's still developing. So hopefully everyone is mindful and not let the knee-jerking we usually see on main forum to creep into here.
Well done Khoazany and a massive thank-you to JB8521. These 2 guys have always had the back of Shola from 2014 when 10-year-old Shola was with Mason at the Med Cup.

Mickson

I don't really know what people are arguing about, it seems to be like a classic political discussion when everyone really argues about something that almost everyone agrees on. Like now with Shoretire. I think it was 'bigsid' who said something about agent power regarding Shoretire's playing time, other than that everyone has had fair comments about him. From September to the 30th of January, Shola had two goals and two assists in 14 U23 games (and five yellow cards and one red card). That's hardly brilliant stats by an attacker in a U23 team. No one questioned his ability, no one questioned that he is a very good footballer who is playing well above his age group. What people questioned was that he got that much playing time (almost 90 min in every game), when he was pretty anonymous in some games. The questions were whether it was a good idea that he played a few U18 games because he's still very young and U23 is a physical league, it's no shame in that, he's young even in a U18 context! If we can't question that, what's the point with the forum? And it's very easy to never stand for anything, to never have an opinion, and then come in and scream that everyone is an idiot when things are going well. Does it have to be black and white every time? He has, like everyone else, bad games and good games. Sometimes after games, it's easy to go too far in either direction, unfortunately. He has been better in the last month than he was in the beginning, it's a fact. And he has always been one of the biggest talents in the academy. And now when he is playing brilliantly, we should enjoy it rather than throwing stones at each other.

One thing I noticed against Arsenal was that he was the main guy in our attack. When Diallo played, and when Elangas has played earlier, they have been the 'go-to-guys', but now Shoretire was that and that shows how he has grown with responsibility, and that is seriously impressive considering his age. What I'm most impressed by is his decision making, you seldom see that maturity from such a young player in that position. I have always thought that he can improve his goals and assists, and in the last month he has certainly done that. With him, Hugill, McNeill, Amad, Elanga amongst others, we have a lot of potential and quality for the future.