Shola Shoretire

Prodigal7

Whilst it’s great that Shoretire got his debut and I think it’s deserved, you have to say that Mejbri should feel hard done by. He’s been the biggest stand out in the u23s this season. I suspect appearances in the first team were negotiated in Shola’s new contract.

BarstoolProphet

So far from what I've seen from his first two cameos is that he seems a bit lightweight physically (no surprise given his age and stature) but I've been pleasantly surprised by that he's carried his great first touch and passing over to the first team and also that he doesn't seem afraid to get stuck in a bit (especially against Sociedad).

AJ VII

Whilst it’s great that Shoretire got his debut and I think it’s deserved, you have to say that Mejbri should feel hard done by. He’s been the biggest stand out in the u23s this season. I suspect appearances in the first team were negotiated in Shola’s new contract.
Mejbri would probably have gotten his debut as well in the previous match if he wasn't injured.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He’s been injured.

Vanrouge

He's been fit for 99% of the season, missed two games the whole season.
No, I think what @Berbasbullet is saying is that Hannibal is currently injured and therefore had no chance to be included in the recent squads that added Shoretire and Amad. He was injured on the 12th. Before that, there were plans to include him.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
No, I think what @Berbasbullet is saying is that Hannibal is currently injured and therefore had no chance to be included in the recent squads that added Shoretire and Amad. He was injured on the 12th. Before that, there were plans to include him.
Yes this is exactly what I meant, thank you!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If you ever have children, you will understand how proud anything he or she does that's good will fill you to the brim with pride.

In fact, moderators: how do I delete someone elses terrible comment?
Not worth it. Leave it there for the crass comment it is!

Bondi77

How does that work then?
A manager is told by the club that a certain player has to play a certain amount of games regardless of how the rest of the team are performing??:lol::lol:
I bet VDB wishes he had that clause inserted in his!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I remember this was one of the issues with Pogba back in 2012 when his agent wanted a guaranteed minimum number of first team games. Ferguson explained very clearly at the time that even Rooney wasn't guaranteed a starting place in the first team nor guaranteed a certain number of appearances.

I would be incredibly surprised if that is written into any of our players contracts.

city-puma

Against Real Sociedad, Shola didn’t get ball much. But the way he run, closed down, chased the ball, tracked back, and occupied the space to make him available, doesn’t look any bit of strange or discomfort at all as we normally see for such young players thrown to adult games initially. It’s very good to see.

IncyWincySpider

Good stuff. I'm genuinely excited at the thought of seeing more of him along with some of the other youngsters. The future feels bright

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I don't understand this type of comment. He has shown himself in the under 23's to be an exceptional talent
The absolutely mental gymnastics of some posters when it comes to Shortire is mental. Not that long before he made his debut that posters in this thread claimed he only played for the u23 team because he threatened to leave otherwise.

Martialfc

That Hannibal looks a top quality player I don’t think this Shola fella is anywhere near hannibals level

NecssryEvil

Kid seems to always be being played with kids much older. And has more than held his own once he gets acclimated. Just turned 17 and has still shown enough to get a debut.

Congrats to the guy and I can't wait to see how he develops! Has chittichattichatta disappeared? Tried to tag him but not coming up. Regardless, congrats to you too, pops.

Teja

I have no idea what to make of him. He's scored a bunch of goals for the U23s but he didn't seem outstanding in any specific department - somehow even at finishing chances off.

Hannibal on the other hand you sense the quality as soon as he gets on the ball.

Inigo Montoya

I have no idea what to make of him. He's scored a bunch of goals for the U23s but he didn't seem outstanding in any specific department - somehow even at finishing chances off.

Hannibal on the other hand you sense the quality as soon as he gets on the ball.
He’s another who plays the game at his own pace and makes it look easy. Unspectacular it may look but he has a real football intelligence and takes up great positions.

Hannibal has bags of talent but if he doesn’t control his emotions and temperament it will be lost

Drainy

I think that opinion is mental. Hannibal is more bluster, too many touches and a bit too emotional.

Shoretire is efficient and smart and the difference in technique isn't very large at all.

Mylock

Shortire is a very interesting player. Initially, I wasn't overly impressed with him but the more I watch him I'm starting to be very impressed. He's so smooth on the ball, glides around the pitch. He reminds me of Inesista (I'm not saying he will as good) in his style of play, very intelligent movement, great control and looks to have brilliant temperament. It's going to be interesting to see how far he goes, can't see him being sent out on loan.

lenny_1248

People need to chill about Hannibal and stop writing nonsense about Shola.
Jesus...

HJ12

Why is this a Shola vs Hannibal discussion? In any case I'm happy they've both won awards this year (Hannibal U23 player of the year) to recognise we've got 2 great talents on our hands.

Inigo Montoya

Why is this a Shola vs Hannibal discussion? In any case I'm happy they've both won awards this year (Hannibal U23 player of the year) to recognise we've got 2 great talents on our hands.
Because a poster who hasn’t really watched Shola was unreasonably dismissive of him in comparison with Hannibal

NFM

Shoretire is exceptional. We have some very promising young attacking talent, but this lad is special.

Teja

Do we think @Teja just got the perfect reply? :lol:
I hope they're right :lol:

I watched a bunch of highlights when he got his first team chance and the only full game I watched of him was the one where Amad played and they came back from 4-1 (?) down to win. Shoretire hatrick that game but was mostly just in good positions, definitely didn't see any of the "iniesta like" gliding on the ball.

Hannibal was seriously impressive in that one, Blackburn tried to kick him out of the game but he still bossed it.