Shola Shoretire

pickingupinthemorningpal

I hope they're right :lol:

I watched a bunch of highlights when he got his first team chance and the only full game I watched of him was the one where Amad played and they came back from 4-1 (?) down to win. Shoretire hatrick that game but was mostly just in good positions, definitely didn't see any of the "iniesta like" gliding on the ball.

Hannibal was seriously impressive in that one, Blackburn tried to kick him out of the game but he still bossed it.
That game had some amazing play from Amad and Hannibal, but it wasn't really representative of what Shoretire's about imo. He has a mix of decision-making, tight control, and a certain sharpness on the ball that seems rare in young players. Add that to his finishing ability and he's a real threat in the box, and capable of wriggling into tight spaces on the edge of the area to play someone through or get a shot off.

Reactions: Sultan

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Shortire is a very interesting player. Initially, I wasn't overly impressed with him but the more I watch him I'm starting to be very impressed. He's so smooth on the ball, glides around the pitch. He reminds me of Inesista (I'm not saying he will as good) in his style of play, very intelligent movement, great control and looks to have brilliant temperament. It's going to be interesting to see how far he goes, can't see him being sent out on loan.
Good call.

In Rainbows

Iniesta? Maybe if he had Gomes ability on the ball with how he plays I could see the similar style comparison.

Bwuk

Well deserved. He only turned 17 in Feb, and he’s scored hat tricks at u23 and played in the first team. Some achievement.

Hopefully at the end of next season we will be able to assess if he should be loaned or not.

Thiagoal

The kid has literally just turned 17 (an age some kids are just getting their first tastes of U18 football) Yet Shola is starting and scoring hat tricks for the U23’s and getting cameos for the first team.

I seriously question posters footballing intelligence who can’t see the phenomenal potential he has and how silky he is! He reminds me of Scholes personally and can see him playing high up the pitch initially before dropping deeper as his experience develops.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That game had some amazing play from Amad and Hannibal, but it wasn't really representative of what Shoretire's about imo. He has a mix of decision-making, tight control, and a certain sharpness on the ball that seems rare in young players. Add that to his finishing ability and he's a real threat in the box, and capable of wriggling into tight spaces on the edge of the area to play someone through or get a shot off.
I said it as I was watching and I’m sticking to it; it was very Scholes like

GueRed

The kid has literally just turned 17 (an age some kids are just getting their first tastes of U18 football) Yet Shola is starting and scoring hat tricks for the U23’s and getting cameos for the first team.

I seriously question posters footballing intelligence
who can’t see the phenomenal potential he has and how silky he is! He reminds me of Scholes personally and can see him playing high up the pitch initially before dropping deeper as his experience develops.
tbf football fans dont have a good record of being the most rational intelligent type. Alot are quite thick and pig-minded tbh :)

Mickson

As always, a supporter who doesn't think player A from the academy will be a superstar is wrong. Because Ben Pearson, Mats Daehli, James Wilson, among others, all made it... or not. It will be incredibly difficult for Shoretire to make it, but he has a good chance. But it's nuts to just slam down one opinion because very few will make it so it's a lot more likely that they are right in the end if they say a player won't make it, realistically. Next season will be key for Shoretire, but it's also very difficult to judge what to do. He looks a bit off the first team in terms of physicality and no wonder, just turned 17. However, not sure a loan is good, and the U23... maybe he's done with it.

In Rainbows

As always, a supporter who doesn't think player A from the academy will be a superstar is wrong. Because Ben Pearson, Mats Daehli, James Wilson, among others, all made it... or not. It will be incredibly difficult for Shoretire to make it, but he has a good chance. But it's nuts to just slam down one opinion because very few will make it so it's a lot more likely that they are right in the end if they say a player won't make it, realistically. Next season will be key for Shoretire, but it's also very difficult to judge what to do. He looks a bit off the first team in terms of physicality and no wonder, just turned 17. However, not sure a loan is good, and the U23... maybe he's done with it.
He's not ready for a loan. He didn't tear up the u23s so he still should play for the u23s for another season.

NFM

Shola is special. I don't really understand why people can't see it, but there you go.

In Rainbows

Shola is special. I don't really understand why people can't see it, but there you go.
It's because Shola didn't dominate. Unless people are under the impression that he did dominate because he did a lot better in a couple of the recent matches. The thing is, I acknowledge that he didn't light up the u23s, but I also understand that he was very young at that level. It's completely understandable. He was anonymous in a lot of matches and if that weren't true, then I think people are rewriting history. And if people can't realize that he was very young for that level, then I also think they need to realize how difficult it is for a player that age to dominate the u23s. Who was the last player that didn't take long to perform well at that level? Mason?

Some players dominated immediately like Januzaj, but he was 18 at the time. Pereira was pretty poor at u23 level as an 18 year old. I thought Gomes did really well as an 18 year old and as a 17 year old he didn't have as much time to play because of injuries and was anonymous in those brief minutes. Think it took Chong until 20 to do really well, where he got the award (which I felt Gomes deserved).

Last edited:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
But he has special qualities that are rare in youth football. He has superb touch and control, uses the ball so well, is economical in style in a good way. He does remind me a fair bit of Scholes as someone else said above, he is so smooth on the ball. He has real talent. More to develop of course, but definitely stands out to me.

In Rainbows

But he has special qualities that are rare in youth football. He has superb touch and control, uses the ball so well, is economical in style in a good way. He does remind me a fair bit of Scholes as someone else said above, he is so smooth on the ball. He has real talent. More to develop of course, but definitely stands out to me.
I like Shoretire a lot. He's in that class with Gomes, Greenwood, Ravel who all excelled very early and made the step up incredibly young. I think those who aren't on board right now will see the light after Shola ages and starts playing players that are his age.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

I seriously question posters footballing intelligence who can’t see the phenomenal potential he has and how silky he is! He reminds me of Scholes personally and can see him playing high up the pitch initially before dropping deeper as his experience develops.
How do you not realise on RedCafe, if the player is not as good as Messi or Rooney when they were 17 then they are rubbish and never going to make it.

Those of us that paid attention knew this a couple of years ago when he became the youngest player ever to make an appearance in the UEFA Youth League (U19)
at the age of 14. The kid is definitely special, maybe not Greenwood level but still a special young talent.

SAF is the GOAT

I really hope that just as Mason has syncronised to the team 2 years ago at the end of the season when he played in the last games of the season, also Amad, shola and Hannibal will get that also and hopefully we'll see them get more and more minutes next season.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It's because Shola didn't dominate. Unless people are under the impression that he did dominate because he did a lot better in a couple of the recent matches. The thing is, I acknowledge that he didn't light up the u23s, but I also understand that he was very young at that level. It's completely understandable. He was anonymous in a lot of matches and if that weren't true, then I think people are rewriting history. And if people can't realize that he was very young for that level, then I also think they need to realize how difficult it is for a player that age to dominate the u23s. Who was the last player that didn't take long to perform well at that level? Mason?

Some players dominated immediately like Januzaj, but he was 18 at the time. Pereira was pretty poor at u23 level as an 18 year old. I thought Gomes did really well as an 18 year old and as a 17 year old he didn't have as much time to play because of injuries and was anonymous in those brief minutes. Think it took Chong until 20 to do really well, where he got the award (which I felt Gomes deserved).

There is a lot I agree with here.

Firstly, the majority of people haven't seen Shoretire when playing for U/16's and below, even though he was often playing in higher age groups.

Secondly, he has hardly played any U/18 football at all and gone straight into the U/23's.

Therefore because of his age he has been very 'anonymous' in many of those games and I totally get it why many posters don't see the hype.

In the matches where he has stood out, he looks a player. So it's also understandable why others can see the potential.

Personally, I haven't seen him do anything yet that makes him comparable to the likes of Morrison, Gomes et al at the same age. But there are reasons for that. Whether skipping all these age groups hinders or helps him remains to be seen.

The only thing that counts is what the coaches see. The fact he is playing in the first team at such a young age reinforces that.

GueRed

For me this season in the U-23's he has displayed to me he is technically very good and has a high football intelligence. His awareness and link-up is very good and it will get better.
It wont be long before he starts to dictate games IMO. His decision making is that good. He has a good change of pace and I think he could use that more effectively too. He is also a decent finisher.

He's a top top talent. IF he keeps developing he will be a top player.

The coaches including Ole believe in his potential. That's all that matters right now.

Tallis

Serious talent - his touch and close control are insane. It will be interesting to what his eventual position is - he looks suited to playing more centrally vs inside forward.

Marwood

I've thought for a few months he'll be the one to get through first because he has the most rounded, percentage play type game. Although I doubt he'll have the highest level.

Also physically, he's the stockiest of them all. Probably more ready in that sense.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole obviously rates him hugely, no chance would he be putting him into the first team at such an age if he wasn't sure.

khoazany

Needs more times at U23s level imo. With Hugill and McNeil there next season I expect all 3 of them to bang in goals at that level, with Hansen the main creator behind them.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
One can never tell whether a kid is going to make it from television IMHO. There have been so many who looked stellar at an early age but then faded. The people who know are the coaches who see the kids in a wider sense - their attitude on and off the pitch can sometimes be as important as ability. I really like the look of Shola. In fact, I prefer him to Hannibal. It is essential that we keep promoting our kids as part of the ethos of Manchester United so I do hope at least some of our kids go on to be stars for us. I'm excited about next season with so many of our under 18s already playing for the under 23's, and I think this might well be Shola's year

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Does he have a legitimate chance to make it?

Seems a bit weak to me physically but seems like a fine kid(has a very child like endearing look to him) so hoping the best for the young lad

Thiagoal

I think his ability to receive the ball on the half turn and his fantastic vision makes Ragnick’s formation perfect for him behind the two attackers!

I also think he’s actually quite strong for his age and rarely gets shoved off the ball, Easy to forget he’s still only 17!!

DevTheRed

As said above it’s easy to forget he’s only 17, seems to have been around forever.. he will bulk up over the next couple of years no doubt. Look at Mason when he first broke into the team, he was tiny but now seems to have filled out a lot.

I think he has a chance of making it, looks a great talent.

Mylock

Shola is highly talented, has an awareness of other players around the pitch that is rear with players at 17. He will have to push on over the next 18 months, either be on the fringes of the 1st team or go out on loan.
A lot will depend on what will happen with players such as Mata, Lingard, Martial. If, as expected, they leave and are not replaced, then Shola, Hannibal, Hansen and Amad will get their chance. They have the ability, will need the break and will need to take it when it comes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think his ability to receive the ball on the half turn and his fantastic vision makes Ragnick’s formation perfect for him behind the two attackers!

I also think he’s actually quite strong for his age and rarely gets shoved off the ball, Easy to forget he’s still only 17!!
God if this is true then that's great.

Ive wanted a player that could play like a false 9 type player behind/inbetween Rashford and Greenwood for sometime.

Demaw

Insane talent, we have all heard of him since 12/13?? Always played up in ages and I think a year or so ago he got smashed a bit in 18/23's but he has grown into the men's game and I think in 2-3 years time at just 20, he will be a superstar. I always felt he had more weapons that Angel (another club prodigy)

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Would be brilliant to have most of the prominent attacking numbers at our club be taken by youth products.

Rashford -10
Greenwood - 11
Shoretire - 9 or 7, depends on how Sancho gets on.

Just need Mejbri to take the 8, it won't be talent that stops this from happening, we need to hope that these guys keep their feet on the ground and to keep working hard.

AussieDevil

Shola is highly talented, has an awareness of other players around the pitch that is rear with players at 17. He will have to push on over the next 18 months, either be on the fringes of the 1st team or go out on loan.
A lot will depend on what will happen with players such as Mata, Lingard, Martial. If, as expected, they leave and are not replaced, then Shola, Hannibal, Hansen and Amad will get their chance. They have the ability, will need the break and will need to take it when it comes.
The next 18 months are critical, I think our club has started to figure it out now but we always seemed to hold players back just a little too long. These days by 17-18 years old, players who look too good for youth football should be either out on loan or getting a few games off the bench.

Even the ones who don’t turn out good enough will have been in the spotlight for long enough to attract decent offers from championship clubs.

Reactions: oates

Mylock

The next 18 months are critical, I think our club has started to figure it out now but we always seemed to hold players back just a little too long. These days by 17-18 years old, players who look too good for youth football should be either out on loan or getting a few games off the bench.

Even the ones who don’t turn out good enough will have been in the spotlight for long enough to attract decent offers from championship clubs.
I'd agree that if they are good enough then they are old enough. A six months loan for Shola would do him the power of good as the 1st is top-heavy with players until the summer clear out.
A Championship team or a Division 1 team would be perfect education. There is no doubt that he has all the talent needed now. He needs the experience and game time.

captaincantona

I'd agree that if they are good enough then they are old enough. A six months loan for Shola would do him the power of good as the 1st is top-heavy with players until the summer clear out.
A Championship team or a Division 1 team would be perfect education. There is no doubt that he has all the talent needed now. He needs the experience and game time.
Serious question...not at all being smart...when has a six month loan done any good for anyone? In fact, when have any of our loans really worked out. Chong was showing promise at Birmingham but he had two or three before that which were awful. The rest, in recent memory have been shocking.

Shoretire might improve as a professional and mature by going on loan but I don’t think that is directly linked to him breaking into the first team. By that I mean a loan experience may benefit a certain type of player in certain ways but will not ultimately determine if the player is good enough.

Even after a loan, you need to be given opportunity to show you’re good enough- that doesn’t mean minutes in the Carabao cup inside a team of other semi fit and squad fillers that hasn’t ever played together before. It’s giving these type of top level talents minutes in a proper starting 11 so they have top class around them and covering the inevitable errors and most importantly giving then security and confidence to express themselves. Ronaldo benefited from Ferguson’s persistence...Giggs...more recently Greenwood....as examples of not needing loans. Are any of our youth players, including Shoretire, at those levels for their respective ages? I’m not sure- possibly. But there are countless examples of youth players who DID go on loan but didn’t come back and shine until the boss gave them proper first team minutes -Beckham,Richardson, Evans, Tuanzebe, Dalot...all needed runs in top level competition surrounded by top players to show their ability.

In short, a six month loan spell in and out of a championship side or on the bench in the PL is going to do fuk all for Shoretire. Get the kid in the team and see what he’s made of.

Mylock

Serious question...not at all being smart...when has a six month loan done any good for anyone? In fact, when have any of our loans really worked out. Chong was showing promise at Birmingham but he had two or three before that which were awful. The rest, in recent memory have been shocking.

Shoretire might improve as a professional and mature by going on loan but I don’t think that is directly linked to him breaking into the first team. By that I mean a loan experience may benefit a certain type of player in certain ways but will not ultimately determine if the player is good enough.

Even after a loan, you need to be given opportunity to show you’re good enough- that doesn’t mean minutes in the Carabao cup inside a team of other semi fit and squad fillers that hasn’t ever played together before. It’s giving these type of top level talents minutes in a proper starting 11 so they have top class around them and covering the inevitable errors and most importantly giving then security and confidence to express themselves. Ronaldo benefited from Ferguson’s persistence...Giggs...more recently Greenwood....as examples of not needing loans. Are any of our youth players, including Shoretire, at those levels for their respective ages? I’m not sure- possibly. But there are countless examples of youth players who DID go on loan but didn’t come back and shine until the boss gave them proper first team minutes -Beckham,Richardson, Evans, Tuanzebe, Dalot...all needed runs in top level competition surrounded by top players to show their ability.

In short, a six month loan spell in and out of a championship side or on the bench in the PL is going to do fuk all for Shoretire. Get the kid in the team and see what he’s made of.
I would agree with most of your post on the loan process, it can be successful for some players but not for all. We will never know how a 6-month loan will benefit Shoretire until it happens. The big issue is the 1st team squad has too many players which restrict the opportunities for these kids to play in strong teams. As I've highlighted in an earlier threat we have to shift out a least half a dozen players to create opportunities for these kids. In the academy, we have some brilliant talent coming through like Shoretire, Hansen, Mainoo, Mather, McNeill and Garnacho that will need to see a pathway to the 1st team in order to progress. Players like Garner, Laird and Galbraith have benefited from the loan process so far as they are getting adult game experience but when they come back they will need the opportunities in the first team.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Eh? You've just listed 5 players who had really successful loans and then said "but they only started playing well at United when they started playing for United". Well...yes? I mean, with the exception of Kieran Richardson of course who was shite, but that loan at West Brom was the best football of his career probably.

I think Dalot is a particularly bad example, he was absolutely atrocious for us until his loan to AC last season and now he appears to have worked his way into our first team after relatively few chances in our first XI. Do you think these loans didn't improve these players or that they would have got more game time at United? Do you think Dean Henderson didn't improve for getting the first team experience he did for example? He'd have been worth £30m playing for our reserves?