Shola Shoretire

lenny_1248

Why people always write that Shola is small)
I mean he's, but not for 18-year old. He's bigger than Amad, for instance.
He has a decent frame.

Thiagoal

He really impressed me yesterday and think he deserves some first team minutes. Should have had him on the bench against Boro rather than 2 keepers.

Bertie Wooster

I like the look of Shoretire in terms of his technical ability and vision. He's a player who can float around the front line and link up well with other top players with his touch and technique and chips in with some goals and assists of his own.

What I'd probably like to see a bit more of, in terms of him developing into a potential first team player at a high level, is him looking to really dominate the ball / games more often. I've seen that more from the likes of Amad, Elanga, Hannibal in the last couple of years in the U23s. And the likes of Mainoo and Garnacho in the U18's this season.

Shoretire looks just as technically gifted and classy as those on the ball, and floats around linking up well and chipping in with some goals and assists, but it doesn't feel like he looks to 'dominate' games as much as he maybe could. Then again, maybe he does but just in a more classy, less noticeable way?

In 'amount of time spent with the U23's' terms, next season is probably the time the club may be thinking about loaning him out. Although it's amazing how experienced at U23 level he is given he's only just turned 18!

I wonder what level the club will look to loan him to? And when? Maybe league one / championship in January next year? Or even a top flight league elsewhere - the Scotland, Belgium, Holland type level? He still wouldn't have turned 19 by then so I can see him spending the early part of the season with the U23's before, if continuing to impress, looking to end it with his first real test of senior football.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I like the look of Shoretire in terms of his technical ability and vision. He's a player who can float around the front line and link up well with other top players with his touch and technique and chips in with some goals and assists of his own.

What I'd probably like to see a bit more of, in terms of him developing into a potential first team player at a high level, is him looking to really dominate the ball / games more often. I've seen that more from the likes of Amad, Elanga, Hannibal in the last couple of years in the U23s. And the likes of Mainoo and Garnacho in the U18's this season.

Shoretire looks just as technically gifted and classy as those on the ball, and floats around linking up well and chipping in with some goals and assists, but it doesn't feel like he looks to 'dominate' games as much as he maybe could. Then again, maybe he does but just in a more classy, less noticeable way?

In 'amount of time spent with the U23's' terms, next season is probably the time the club may be thinking about loaning him out. Although it's amazing how experienced at U23 level he is given he's only just turned 18!

I wonder what level the club will look to loan him to? And when? Maybe league one / championship in January next year? Or even a top flight league elsewhere - the Scotland, Belgium, Holland type level? He still wouldn't have turned 19 by then so I can see him spending the early part of the season with the U23's before, if continuing to impress, looking to end it with his first real test of senior football.
Reminds me of an Iniesta with physicality.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

I wouldn't be surprised if we used him next season.
He can play as a no 10 or off the flank.

Mata, Lingard, Pogba, maybe VDB leaving.

Bertie Wooster

Reminds me of an Iniesta with physicality.
Yeah, I think Iniesta is definitely the comparison in terms of what type of player he is.

Which, if he even comes close to reaching his level, is obviously a great thing. But, if he doesn't, maybe leaves him a bit of a betwixt and between type player?

It reminds me of strikers who are 'in the mould of Berbatov and Sheringham' as a youngster. Which I remember hearing about the likes of Macheda and Will Keane. What that often means is they don't have great pace, and aren't really target men or goal poaching #9's, and are more technical strikers somewhere between a #10 and #9. And the very best examples of that type, Berbatov, Sheringham, etc, are top quality. But if you're not at that level, you end up a bit too betwixt and between - a striker with no particular attribute that really hurts / frightens teams.

And I think it's similar with the Shoretire / Iniesta comparison. Iniesta was an unusual type of player, tough to pigeon hole, but so good with his touch, technique and vision that his floating style reached world class levels. A poor man's Iniesta is maybe just a bit of a betwixt and between type player?

But Shoretire's only just turned 18, and clearly has good technique and vision. So, hopefully, he'll grab his first team opportunities when they come along, whether that's here or elsewhere.

Bertie Wooster

He's nothing like Iniesta.
Who would you compare him to (in terms of style of play)?

Or, if you don't like comparisons like that for young players (which is fair enough), what would you say are his strengths and weaknesses at this stage?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Who would you compare him to (in terms of style of play)?

Or, if you don't like comparisons like that for young players (which is fair enough), what would you say are his strengths and weaknesses at this stage?
I think his strengths are being in and around the box and he does have a goal threat so I can see him potentially developing into a second striker at first team level. Players like Iniesta operated deeper and had the mobility and grace to manipulate space and hence open up passing angles in confined spaces, which would add craft, guile and control in the build up phase.

Bertie Wooster

I think his strengths are being in and around the box and he does have a goal threat so I can see him potentially developing into a second striker at first team level. Players like Iniesta operated deeper and had the mobility and grace to manipulate space and hence open up passing angles in confined spaces, which would add craft, guile and control in the build up phase.
Yeah, I agree with that. :)

Hence the 'poor man's Iniesta'. As, like you say, Iniesta brought so much more to the game. And was a really special player floating around the pitch.

I can see the (poor man's) comparison when Iniesta played a more advanced role - starting wider or in the #10 role. As he was a more versatile player than Xavi. But, yeah, Iniesta also played deeper a lot, in a role Shoretire won't.

As you say, Shoretire does his best stuff floating around the box. So another who's probably best suited to #10, or cutting inside from wide linking up in attacks. But not necessarily with the pace or individual threat that the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, Elanga or Amad possess when out wide. But with the technique and link up play to potentially suit a #10 role unlike them.

I'd just like to see him try to 'dominate' games more on the ball if he's to justify a #10 / second striker role at senior level.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, I agree with that. :)

Hence the 'poor man's Iniesta'. As, like you say, Iniesta brought so much more to the game. And was a really special player floating around the pitch.

I can see the (poor man's) comparison when Iniesta played a more advanced role - starting wider or in the #10 role. As he was a more versatile player than Xavi. But, yeah, Iniesta also played deeper a lot, in a role Shoretire won't.

As you say, Shoretire does his best stuff floating around the box. So another who's probably best suited to #10, or cutting inside from wide linking up in attacks. But not necessarily with the pace or individual threat that the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, Elanga or Amad possess when out wide. But with the technique and link up play to potentially suit a #10 role unlike them.

I'd just like to see him try to 'dominate' games more on the ball if he's to justify a #10 / second striker role at senior level.
Completely agree mate, good post.

jesperjaap

I wouldn't be surprised if we used him next season.
He can play as a no 10 or off the flank.

Mata, Lingard, Pogba, maybe VDB leaving.
I am interested in opinons. I think the squad needs trimming and I can genuinely see ten players possibly leaving this summer when you add JOnes, Bailly, Cavani and others to that list.

I think ideally 6/7 players need to be added to our squad and half of those are to the first eleven.

How many of these youngsters from the likes of Laird, Garner, Mjebri, Shoetire are genuinely good enough or ready to step up into the squad? I dont watch enough of ou ryouth or loan players to form a justified opinion but Mjebri looks talented enough and Laird has always been hyped and the little I have seen of him, is certainly the type of full back we need to challenge Bissaka, is he ready?

Mickson

I am interested in opinons. I think the squad needs trimming and I can genuinely see ten players possibly leaving this summer when you add JOnes, Bailly, Cavani and others to that list.

I think ideally 6/7 players need to be added to our squad and half of those are to the first eleven.

How many of these youngsters from the likes of Laird, Garner, Mjebri, Shoetire are genuinely good enough or ready to step up into the squad? I dont watch enough of ou ryouth or loan players to form a justified opinion but Mjebri looks talented enough and Laird has always been hyped and the little I have seen of him, is certainly the type of full back we need to challenge Bissaka, is he ready?
I claimed for a long time that Elanga should play instead of James, people called me a fool. Look what has happened now. United has been quite poor in giving youth a chance lately, but we have a lot of talent. Laird would play before AWB. Hannibal should definitely be considered now. Garner can definitely be a part of the squad next season. But a lot depends on who our new coach is, and if we play some progressive football finally with an idea so they can be eased in.

Conrad

I'd be interested to hear what people think of Shoretire? He's kind of an odd one for me. On paper, he sounds like an absolute star, and I'm sure he probably could be, with his first-team appearances already and the fact that he's been playing regularly at U23 level since he was 16 and played at U19 level at 14, but he's always been playing so far past his age level it doesn't feel like he's ever excelled or really tore it up. Maybe he did at U16 level where it's less public. It's weird to compare him to Charlie McNeil who on some level I have been more excited by this season, but he's actually several months older than Shoretire and has been able to impress by playing against people his own age. I'd be really interested to see how Shoretire would do if he dropped down to U18 level because I do remember being a bit underwhelmed when he dropped down last season for the FA Youth Cup.

Obviously, the aim of the game is not to impress me, and I'm sure United think it's best for his development, but it just makes it hard to judge him. Also, it doesn't help that it's almost impossible to see the U23 games this season and it seems like a fairly weak team overall. Plus, sounds like he might be evolving into a more deep-lying player which is interesting. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ll-news/man-utd-news-shola-shoretire-23670083

lenny_1248

I'd be interested to hear what people think of Shoretire?
I really like him.
He might be a bit of a late bloomer. He doesn't dominate games right now, but he does this little stuff sometimes that makes you think that he can really go places.
I like how he's tidy with the ball, the way he receives it sometimes and turns, that natural ability that you can't teach. Rarely looses the ball in a stupid manner [at least compared to other young players at this level].

Plus, sounds like he might be evolving into a more deep-lying player which is interesting.
Yeah, I was surprised watching him play in that position in the last game.
He does have some skills to be a number 8. He's quite stocky as well. I don't know why some people think that he's "small" [for 18-year old].

Remember the geese

I'd be interested to hear what people think of Shoretire? He's kind of an odd one for me. On paper, he sounds like an absolute star, and I'm sure he probably could be, with his first-team appearances already and the fact that he's been playing regularly at U23 level since he was 16 and played at U19 level at 14, but he's always been playing so far past his age level it doesn't feel like he's ever excelled or really tore it up. Maybe he did at U16 level where it's less public. It's weird to compare him to Charlie McNeil who on some level I have been more excited by this season, but he's actually several months older than Shoretire and has been able to impress by playing against people his own age. I'd be really interested to see how Shoretire would do if he dropped down to U18 level because I do remember being a bit underwhelmed when he dropped down last season for the FA Youth Cup.

Obviously, the aim of the game is not to impress me, and I'm sure United think it's best for his development, but it just makes it hard to judge him. Also, it doesn't help that it's almost impossible to see the U23 games this season and it seems like a fairly weak team overall. Plus, sounds like he might be evolving into a more deep-lying player which is interesting. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ll-news/man-utd-news-shola-shoretire-23670083
I think he's a big talent. He perhaps isn't as eye-catching as some of the others, although he definitely does have those moments in him. A lot of what he does is quite subtle. Good decision making and generally quite mature in his play. I used to compare him to a more talented version of Lingard.

I watched him in a game recently where he was playing in a deeper role. I think it may have been away to Leicester. In the second half of that game, he was running the show. In the positions that he can play in, competition is really high. Hannibal, Hansen-Aarøen, Mainoo and Gore all look very promising. That isn't even taking into account the first team and any potential acquisitions there. He is definitely one of the players who I would like us to give opportunities to.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

He's quite talented but I personally don't think he's the biggest prospect in our academy, I like the look of Mejbri more from the U23s. He's a bit like Angel Gomes in regard to how he drifts in and out of games, something you'd expect will improve with experience. He's a level below the "super" talents like Greenwood and Gomes, I also think Hansen and Mainoo may surpass him in time. Still, he's one of our top scorers and assisters at U23 level so he's clearly not overawed by the step up.

Bertie Wooster

Interesting to see how much game time Shola can get at Bolton this season. And, obviously, how well he does in the time he gets.

The top of league one is a high standard, with some pretty big sides all battling for promotion. So it's a big move for him, but also a tough ask trying to guarantee regular playing time.

He's still young, but very experienced at U21 level, so he really needs to start gaining some loan experience at senior level in the next 18 months.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Bolton are 2-0 down with 10 mins to go so unlikely to make a huge impact

KevinJoh

72 minutes in his first start against Forest Green, 1:0 win. It looks like he was good for the first start in League One.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Seems to be making a real impression.

Nero

Bear in mind the bar is so low when you're a Bolton fan.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Class talent. Decent game this Charlton and Bolton. Charlton have 2 decent wingers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Glad we're giving out loans more often now. Sitting them at a piss easy reserve level is silly.