Shola Shoretire

Drainy

Really? who?
There were a few! In fairness, he hadn't played well (at least not with the ball) so people are going to be critical. It stepped over the line when they were alleging that he was bullying the club into playing him at a higher level than he was capable of out of ego or whatever

lysglimt

Scout
I think it was said that a family member of the player contacted the club and took issue with the pronunciation of his name on MUTV. MUTV then started calling him Sho ra teeray.
Correct - I even remember when it happened. They made a huge point of them pronouncing it wrong for a long time

Mr PG

He loves the ball in tight spaces and is very comfortable passing with both feet. Very good player.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
People think they can just say whatever they want on the internet. Take away the anonymity and people would be a lot more careful with what they say about essentially children trying to play a mans game.
Indeed. The internet is a breeding ground for such behaviour. Twitter etc is awful for it.

These kids are now in the limelight alot earlier than they used to be. Go back 30 years very few people nationally or globally would really know who these players were outside of a small circle.

Having a family member around here was a great reality check for maybe a few folks getting a bit over eager in their comments. Live and learn hopefully.

Really pleased to see Shola doing well. Loans are such a gamble and it's great to see him starting well.

Hopefully stays injury free, gets as many minutes as he can and continues to learn at this level.

Bojan Djordjic

Shoretire seems like someone we could earn a decentish transfer fee on. He's performing well on loan so could build his reputation but If I'm honest, I don't really see him making it at United.

Bertie Wooster

Glad to hear his loan is going well.

I was a little worried he might struggle for game time at Bolton as there's some strong teams competing for promotion at the top of league one this season, so it's a good effort from him to go in there and, by the sounds of it, quickly settle in and impress.

khoazany

Bolton has won two 5-0s in a row, on a 5 matches winning streak and just overtook McKenna’s Ipswich in the league table (played one game more) and Shoretire is starting and earning praises from their fans so it’s looking good by all accounts. The only thing lacking is G/A but that will come.

redom

Felt like he'd started to fall by the wayside a bit, despite only just turning 19, so it's great to see him go on loan and start positively.

Crimson King

Shoretire seems like someone we could earn a decentish transfer fee on. He's performing well on loan so could build his reputation but If I'm honest, I don't really see him making it at United.
Any reason in particular why you think that? Have you followed him closely up until this point?

I'm not accusing you of anything, just genuinely curious. I've heard of his promise since he was about 14/15, but haven't followed him closely, so hard for me to form an opinion myself.

It seems harsh to write him off at 19 though. I know Rashford and Garnacho had made a mark by that age, but they're very explosive players where it's easier to see their impact.

mav_9me

Any reason in particular why you think that? Have you followed him closely up until this point?

I'm not accusing you of anything, just genuinely curious. I've heard of his promise since he was about 14/15, but haven't followed him closely, so hard for me to form an opinion myself.

It seems harsh to write him off at 19 though. I know Rashford and Garnacho had made a mark by that age, but they're very explosive players where it's easier to see their impact.
Not to answer for him, but Shoretire suffers from a similar situation as Gomes. Yeah he is easy on the eye, good technique, touch etc. But what's he bringing to a team? He is not a CM, not a controller in midfield. Not enough pace to play wide. Not enough assists or goals as an AM. I'd say end product (not just assists or goals) is the issue.

Crimson King

Not to answer for him, but Shoretire suffers from a similar situation as Gomes. Yeah he is easy on the eye, good technique, touch etc. But what's he bringing to a team? He is not a CM, not a controller in midfield. Not enough pace to play wide. Not enough assists or goals as an AM. I'd say end product (not just assists or goals) is the issue.
Cheers, I think that's a fair assessment, especially the comparison to Gomes. If he's all silk with little end product, then that's going to be a problem.

Personally, I really hope he can add that to his game. I think I could see him as a flair AM, which would certainly see him with a chance in our current set up. He's still only 19, and it certainly sounds like he's influencing matches with Bolton at the moment.

Thiagoal

It’s really interesting as when he was in the U16’s his end product was ridiculous. There was even talk of playing him deeper in games so he couldn’t score/ assist so many against certain sides! I would definitely say end product is in him; I just think he physically needs to develop to match the level he’s playing now. He’s always been silky smooth, technically well above most of the players he plays with: and against and a clinical finisher!

mav_9me

It’s really interesting as when he was in the U16’s his end product was ridiculous. There was even talk of playing him deeper in games so he couldn’t score/ assist so many against certain sides! I would definitely say end product is in him; I just think he physically needs to develop to match the level he’s playing now. He’s always been silky smooth, technically well above most of the players he plays with: and against and a clinical finisher!
Yeah. I never saw him for U16. Hopefully he can show more at Bolton and kick on

lysglimt

Scout
Shoretire had a period earlier in the season where he wasn't particularly good. The entire team struggled but Shoretire was one of the players who should be lifting team with his skills and experience. But if anything, he was the worst of them all. I know, it's difficult to judge when you don't know the full story (he could be having personal issues at the time) - but there were a few games when he didn't even seem to care at all. Luckily, everything improved dramatically prior to joining Bolton and he could not be instrumental in sending Bolton into the Championship.

Crimson King

Shoretire had a period earlier in the season where he wasn't particularly good. The entire team struggled but Shoretire was one of the players who should be lifting team with his skills and experience. But if anything, he was the worst of them all. I know, it's difficult to judge when you don't know the full story (he could be having personal issues at the time) - but there were a few games when he didn't even seem to care at all. Luckily, everything improved dramatically prior to joining Bolton and he could not be instrumental in sending Bolton into the Championship.
I assume you're referring to United's youth/reserve team?

That is a worry, although it can be hard for a young player to motivate themselves at that level, especially if they've already proven themselves before. I'm not using that as an excuse, as you're right in respects to how he should have still been elevating a struggling team if he's the real deal. He may well have thought he was ready for a step up, especially after getting a taste of first team action. Hopefully that highlights a good level of self-confidence in his abilities?

Let's see how this loan goes, it's started quite brightly, which is good to hear.

lysglimt

Scout
I assume you're referring to United's youth/reserve team?

That is a worry, although it can be hard for a young player to motivate themselves at that level, especially if they've already proven themselves before. I'm not using that as an excuse, as you're right in respects to how he should have still been elevating a struggling team if he's the real deal. He may well have thought he was ready for a step up, especially after getting a taste of first team action. Hopefully that highlights a good level of self-confidence in his abilities?

Let's see how this loan goes, it's started quite brightly, which is good to hear.
Yup

NFM

Remember Scholes was 21 before he got into the side. Shoretire is a similar player, I am not predicting he will be as good, but he has very similar attributes. One of the very few players I think will benefit from a spell on loan. He is too good not to be brought back once he has had regular experience of playing with an against men.

SAFMUTD

Remember Scholes was 21 before he got into the side. Shoretire is a similar player, I am not predicting he will be as good, but he has very similar attributes. One of the very few players I think will benefit from a spell on loan. He is too good not to be brought back once he has had regular experience of playing with an against men.
Scholes while wasnt fast nor big he was strong. Shoretire doesnt seem to have any phyisicallity at all, its really hard for players like that to make it in the premier league. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't see how he can break into the team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Scholes while wasnt fast nor big he was strong. Shoretire doesnt seem to have any phyisicallity at all, its really hard for players like that to make it in the premier league. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't see how he can break into the team.
Shola is multiple inches taller than Scholes, is considerably faster, and has at no point every struggled strength wise. How is it hard for players like him to make it in the Premier League when he has a similar physique to virtually every attacking midfielder in the league?

Personally, I think most of the points made here are near enough to non-sense.

For no end product he has a goal or assist every 129 minutes at u21/23s level. That is great for an AM/winger, even phenomenal when you consider much of that was at 16/17 years old, in essence playing up 6-7 age groups and being the youngest player on the pitch in every single match.

For being the u21s worst player he was actually the top scorer up until going on loan.

Apparently lazy and doesn't care and did nothing against Brighton according some. Literally set up all 3 goals. Same match thread makes mention of him celebrating the last goal as if he didn't celebrate the first two, he did. Agendas much?

No physicality, immediately impresses in League one, a super physical league.

Meant to carry the entire u21s by himself with no wingers and no strikers? What is an attacking midfielder exactly meant to elevate when he has no one in front of him to pass the ball to? He still scored in the first win of the season against Wolves, single handedly rescued a point against Chelsea, involved in every goal against Brighton, was our best attacker by far against Spurs, and best player on the pitch by far against Fleetwood.

He's held to a standard way beyond any of the other players for some reason.

khoazany

Yeah he’s nothing like Gomes and he has strong lower body strength.Not PL ready yet at the moment though, loan was a good decision. I think he can easily play in the Championship but good choice to loan him to an in-form League One team that does need a player of his mould.

NFM

Shola is multiple inches taller than Scholes, is considerably faster, and has at no point every struggled strength wise. How is it hard for players like him to make it in the Premier League when he has a similar physique to virtually every attacking midfielder in the league?

For no end product he has a goal or assist every 129 minutes at u21/23s level. That is great for an AM/winger, even phenomenal when you consider much of that was at 16/17 years old, in essence playing up 6-7 age groups and being the youngest player on the pitch in every single match.

For being the u21s worst player he was actually the top scorer up until going on loan.

Apparently lazy and doesn't care and did nothing against Brighton according some. Literally set up all 3 goals. Same match thread makes mention of him celebrating the last goal as if he didn't celebrate the first two, he did. Agendas much?

Meant to carry the entire u21s by himself with no wingers and no strikers? What is an attacking midfielder exactly meant to elevate when he has no one in front of him to pass the ball to? He still scored in the first win of the season against Wolves, single handedly rescued a point against Chelsea, involved in every goal against Brighton, was our best attacker by far against Spurs, and best player on the pitch by far against Fleetwood.

Totally agree. I think people can easily see the possibilities in 'impact' players. Garnacho for instance is a great prospect, but its his speed that instantly makes him noticeable and ability to survive even prosper in the senior team. With clever players like Shoretire and Scholes it takes time to be that much better than the existing 'clever' players in the team, like Bruno or Eriksen. Shoretire is very talented.

SAFMUTD

Isnt Shoretire a winger? I know its not impossible but a winger without electric pace isnt exciting and unless they play on teams like City where they dominate possession and position and electric pace isnt as important as creativity. Maybe he can be converted into a Bernardo Silva type of player?

NFM

Isnt Shoretire a winger? I know its not impossible but a winger without electric pace isnt exciting and unless they play on teams like City where they dominate possession and position and electric pace isnt as important as creativity. Maybe he can be converted into a Bernardo Silva type of player?
He is most definitely not a winger, he is a midfielder, possibly best suited to an attacking role, but who knows at his age.

AneRu

Yeah he’s nothing like Gomes and he has strong lower body strength.Not PL ready yet at the moment though, loan was a good decision. I think he can easily play in the Championship but good choice to loan him to an in-form League One team that does need a player of his mould.
The decisions we have made with loans this season show that considerable effort is being made to assess the situations that suits the players best.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Saw his appearance for Bolton v my boys Wycombe this weekend.

Absolutely schooled by Scowen who is a quality holding midfielder for league 1 standards, but you'd think a United level starlet would get some change out of him.
Nope. Made 4 or 5 fouls first half, somehow avoiding a booking, booked early 2nd half, then immediately subbed.

Will have better days. You'd hope!

KevinJoh

He is 18 years old kid ffs, you certainly do not expect him to be on top level in every game he plays, especially not when his senior debut was just like two weeks ago. He is doing great on loan for now, and judging by fans who are watching Bolton it looks like they are delighted. You can't expect him to be strong enough at 18, but strength can develop and usually do in later age. Let him play, enjoy football, and lets see what will next summer bring for him. Although I am not sure what happened with his contract, but if everything is fine, it would be awesome to have him on preseason tour and than send him back to Bolton for example to play in Championship (if they get promotion), or in possession based team in Championship.

Bigsid

He is 18 years old kid ffs, you certainly do not expect him to be on top level in every game he plays, especially not when his senior debut was just like two weeks ago. He is doing great on loan for now, and judging by fans who are watching Bolton it looks like they are delighted. You can't expect him to be strong enough at 18, but strength can develop and usually do in later age. Let him play, enjoy football, and lets see what will next summer bring for him. Although I am not sure what happened with his contract, but if everything is fine, it would be awesome to have him on preseason tour and than send him back to Bolton for example to play in Championship (if they get promotion), or in possession based team in Championship.
Watched their game today. Dragged off half time after looking pretty lost.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yes. Perhaps just an off day? Guess the transition from kids football to mens football is a tough one.
Well he's not really a striker is he tbf? I guess that's his main problem, he can fill in in many positions but which one is he going to make his own? If it's no.10 then his odds of making it at United are probably slim as we're always going to need a star there.

Wing Attack Plan R

I think a player like Shoretire (and even Gomes) would flourish with ETH watching over them. Neither seemed particularly suited to the "style" we were trying to play under the other managers. Both Shoretire and Gomes like to receive the ball in tight spaces, meaning they are press-resistant, see the game well/see plays developing early, and are exceptionally good passers. I always thought the main limitation was physicality.

Players like Scholes (5'6") and Verratti (5'5") are not giants, by any means. Every time I see us try to play quick passes and we have players who take 5 touches to settle the ball before playing it straight to an opponent, I wonder about our former youth prodigies. Diallo is being talked about, about being re-integrated into the side next season, is there a life line for any of the others like Shoretire?

I used to watch most/all of the youth games, so my eyes have seen them being amazing, but it's a massive jump to playing with the big boys.

Bigsid

I think a player like Shoretire (and even Gomes) would flourish with ETH watching over them. Neither seemed particularly suited to the "style" we were trying to play under the other managers. Both Shoretire and Gomes like to receive the ball in tight spaces, meaning they are press-resistant, see the game well/see plays developing early, and are exceptionally good passers. I always thought the main limitation was physicality.

Players like Scholes (5'6") and Verratti (5'5") are not giants, by any means. Every time I see us try to play quick passes and we have players who take 5 touches to settle the ball before playing it straight to an opponent, I wonder about our former youth prodigies. Diallo is being talked about, about being re-integrated into the side next season, is there a life line for any of the others like Shoretire?

I used to watch most/all of the youth games, so my eyes have seen them being amazing, but it's a massive jump to playing with the big boys.
Given in his 11 games for Bolton in League One he hasnt scored or assisted a single goal and been taken off in most games im not sure im understanding why he would be considered for us as we seek to win the Premier league?

mav_9me

The thing is Shoretire and Gomes have the same problem. Now I haven't seen either in a while, but this was my impression.

They have a neat touch, look good technically. But I always asked what do they bring to the team? Can they be the metronomic CM passers who control the game like Scholes/Veratti as you said? Not as easy, it's not as simple as good touch makes a good CM, awareness, consistency of passing etc and you still need to be able to put in a tackle. Neither can do that imo.

So then can you play them in a no. 10? Not enough goals or assists, not productive enough.

Out wide? Not enough pace or dribbling...

So where would they play for us? Unfortunately I see Shoretire future similar to Gomes.

Wing Attack Plan R

The thing is Shoretire and Gomes have the same problem. Now I haven't seen either in a while, but this was my impression.

They have a neat touch, look good technically. But I always asked what do they bring to the team? Can they be the metronomic CM passers who control the game like Scholes/Veratti as you said? Not as easy, it's not as simple as good touch makes a good CM, awareness, consistency of passing etc and you still need to be able to put in a tackle. Neither can do that imo.

So then can you play them in a no. 10? Not enough goals or assists, not productive enough.

Out wide? Not enough pace or dribbling...

So where would they play for us? Unfortunately I see Shoretire future similar to Gomes.
You're probably right.

It seems that having a good touch, being able to look after the ball, and being able to complete a range of passes is something the players either have or don't by the time they are adults, so that can't be coached into them. Shoretire and Gomes both have those abilities, but what they are lacking is how to influence a game. Wondering if ETH could coach that into Shoretire. We have players like McT and Fred who do a lot of running, like to put in tackles, but are not particularly skilled with the ball (both have their moments, though). Wondering if having more skilled players in the side, with players like Casemiro and Eriksen near them, could unlock them?

No idea. I just hate how so many of our great youth players fail to kick on, so I'm clutching at straws.