Shooting at Charlie Hebdo HQ in Paris

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Yeah, I can't watch those videos. Never been able/ willing to.

Not really relevant either, but I find the way these incidents get reported in the 'twitter age' so surreal.
12:42 - A Twitter campaign pledging support for the victims and the French magazine is gaining traction within moments of the first #JeSuisCharlie hashtag being posted.
12:37 - The radical Islamic State group threatened to attack France minutes before Hebdo tweeted a satirical cartoon of the extremist group's leader giving New Year's wishes, AP says.
Not to mention Piece Morgan helping people get access of a video of the instant as soon as it happens... It all reads like bad fiction. If only. :(

Sweet Square

BBC

French terrorism expert Jean Charles Brisard tells the BBC that the attack was well planned: "What we can say is, looking at the images and videos that are coming out, is the individuals were well-prepared, well-equipped; they had military-style weapons; they had probably bullet-proof jackets. So these individuals were well trained and determined indeed to commit this terrorist act, which is probably the worst that we've experienced in French history in the the last 30 years."

JackXX

Awful scenes that are becoming far too regular around the world. This time though it seemed like more than just an amateur group of nutters.

Last edited:

Siorac

I echo those above who say everyone needs to stand up for freedom of speech and freedom of the press now. It's more important than ever to emphasise that the West will NOT compromise on that for the sake of religious nutters or anyone.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I echo those above who say everyone needs to stand up for freedom of speech and freedom of the press now. It's more important than ever to emphasise that the West will NOT compromise on that for the sake of religious nutters or anyone.
The front page of every newspaper in Europe should tomorrow feature one of Charlie Hebdo's satirical images as a show of solidarity.

I appreciate the risk involved, but freedom of expression is worth fighting for.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
A drawer for L'Humanité who was at the scene of the crime when it happened said the guys claimed to be from Al Qaeda.

Just confirmed that Charb, Wolinski and Cabu (famous journalists for Charlie Hebdo) were killed.

XdanielredX

The front page of every newspaper in Europe should tomorrow feature one of Charlie Hebdo's satirical images as a show of solidarity.

I appreciate the risk involved, but freedom of expression is worth fighting for.
I would be so overjoyed if this happened, but it won't.

It's more likely to have something related to Islam and how "we aren't blaming you, don't feel offended we said it was a bad thing what they did"

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Im more thinking, maybe it is time to stop taking the piss out of other religions and beliefs

Siorac

It would be fantastic. Needs to happen.

BBC: "Echoing the language of other world leaders, Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg called the attack "a barbaric act and an outrageous attack on press freedom"."

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
Im more thinking, maybe it is time to stop taking the piss out of other religions and beliefs
Nope, it's vitally important to be able to challenge any belief. That's how we move forward. Some of us, anyway.

The religious people I know don't challenge their own beliefs, they simply accept them on faith. That isn't a path to truth, it's a path to delusion, and delusional people can make anything justified in their own minds.

Sweet Square

A drawer for L'Humanité who was at the scene of the crime when it happened said the guys claimed to be from Al Qaeda.

Just confirmed that Charb, Wolinski and Cabu (famous journalists for Charlie Hebdo) were killed.
As crazy as it sounds. I remember it being talked about that the rise of Isis was beginning to worrying Al Qaeda. As they where worried they won't be seen as the top bad guys any more, so now they would be more extreme in their acts and plots.

Siorac

Nope, it's vitally important to be able to challenge any belief. That's how we move forward. Some of us, anyway.
Yes. People also need to learn to handle humour. It's one of the greatest inventions of mankind and should not be curbed for the sake of idiots.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Well not if people are going to be killed, it isnt. Do you reckon the families of the dead are thinking all those comics were worth it?

With the world being so uppity on just about everything these days, I find it odd that religion still appears to be fair game for most

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Its only 2 real religons that take offence.

Scientologists tend to sue those who oppose and Islam who go all aggressive.

No other religions have these issues in modern society.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Awful scenes that are becoming far too regular around the world. For the first time though this seemed like more than just an amateur group of nutters.
For the first time? You sure about that? Can think of a number of terror attacks that were well planned, well executed, etc and not just some amateur nut jobs.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
Well not if people are going to be killed, it isnt. Do you reckon the families of the dead are thinking all those comics were worth it?

With the world being so uppity on just about everything these days, I find it odd that religion still appears to be fair game for most
So every time we are threatened with violence we should be prepared to sacrifice our rights?

XdanielredX

If people want to take the piss out of things they can, that's part of living in a free society.

If you got rid of taking the piss out of people half of comedy would be wiped out.

Religion is fair game because religion causes half the problems these days, look at what it's done today.

And don't say this has nothing to do with religion.

We live in a free society, what are we supposed to do, just give up all our freedoms and rights just because someone else got offended?

No one has the right to not be offended.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Not only is this the wrong response in principle, it won't even work. These guys have a list of grievances as long as your arm, capitulate on something like this and they'll be right back the next day with new demands and more dead bodies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So every time we are threatened with violence we should be prepared to sacrifice our rights?

In cases like this, yeah why bother antagonise? It’s not really benefiting anyone. We can live without comics slagging off a religion, surely?

Just to be clear, I am not one bit offended by anything. But the fact dangerous people are very offended, it might be a good idea just to leave it

JackXX

For the first time? You sure about that? Can think of a number of terror attacks that were well planned, well executed, etc and not just some amateur nut jobs.
Sorry was just typing without thinking a bit there, I didn't mean that. We have seen a lot of what people describe as "lone wolf terrorists" where it's been a small group of fairly amateur nutters or just an individual. Watching the video and reading about it this seemed like a pretty clean cut and well thought out attack. The gunman looked trained and pretty calm. That is more worrying to me than some of the other recent attacks.

JohnDoe

In cases like this, yeah why bother antagonise? It’s not really benefiting anyone. We can live without comics slagging off a religion, surely?

Just to be clear, I am not one bit offended by anything. But the fact dangerous people are very offended, it might be a good idea just to leave it
Are you really serious here? I can't tell.

XdanielredX

Where does it end?

We live in a free society.

What are we supposed to do? Every single time someone says they don't like something we do we just stop?

Why bother even having free speech or free will or freedom of religion or freedom of expression?

What we do might antagonise someone.

What about defending our way of life rather than just giving up and surrendering it when someone comes along and says we don't like it?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I agree, which is why we need to act now.

Cue Western leaders "This attack does not represent Islam"

Roll and repeat.
If 1,000 terrorist attacks happened in succession it still would not represent a figure that would come anywhere close to representing 1.6 billion people, so let's not start throwing generalisations around because we have agendas against religion.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao

But that would be letting them win.

They need to adapt to a modern society.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
True enough, but they did realise some time ago that it was not acceptable in a civilised World.

This sort of thing is Medieval.
Tell that to some sections of the IRA. Or have a look at parts of Africa where there's still militant Christian organisations committing atrocious acts. Also have a look at what Anders Brevik and his associates were preaching or the Ku Klux Klan.

All religions have their extremist sections, I don't have a religious bone in my body personally but I don't like to see perfectly peaceful communities tarred by the same brush as people who use religion as a weapon to gain more power.