Shooting at Charlie Hebdo HQ in Paris

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Just for those who aren't familiar with Charlie Hebdo, it's a satirical magazine that has caused controversy in the past by mocking Muhammad in the name of free speech and satire, and in 2011 it was firebombed by extremists in protest to this.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Sky news reporting 26 people attacked with 11 confirmed dead. Several masked gunmen. Numbers rising by the minute. Horrific scenes.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
The sensible approach is to try our best to educate kids growing up that religion is irrational and to encourage critical thinking. Religion is linked to intelligence, improve education and it's influence will diminish.
Yes but people are dying today. And sadly, religion is a barrier to education.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
11 dead and 4 in a critical condition, apparently. Very shocking, Charlie Hebdo have always pushed the limits on satire, but this is horrific.

There had been threats last year of a terrorist attack, with quite strong police surveillance outside the building until last summer.

Apparently the guys arrived, went in around 11.30am local time, opened fired and were armed with AK47s and a rocket launcher, and then left the building and opened fire on the police men that were arriving at that point (which you can see in the picture below).

JohnDoe

Will this lead to Western media becoming even more servile, or will they finally see the importance of standing up for freedom of expression and freedom of the press? Their cowardice in the past is partly what has led to this.

They should all print a caricature of the so-called prophet Muhammad.

gormless

Will this lead to Western media becoming even more servile, or will they finally see the importance of standing up for freedom of expression and freedom of the press? Their cowardice in the past is partly what has led to this.

After the controversy about the Muhammed cartoon in Scandanavia a few years back, most European press reprinted it as a sign of solidarity, except the UK press who didn't dare

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond

Yes, and every cartoon should produce an episode with him in as well. Freedom of speech and expression are too important to back down over. Just because people have silly beliefs doesn't mean society should conform to them... the opposite is true.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God

That was my first thought as well.

I guess it can go either way. One thing's for sure, this will send shock waves through the European media outlets and will permanently change the Western stance on free speech. I just hope it goes the way of a robust showing of solidarity, and an proper, unflinching clarification of what Western freedom of speech actually means.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Horrible news, especially since we've seen this sort of attack recently as well.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
@Rooney in Dublin - is that your photo mate? Horrible, horrible story. :(

Agree completely.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Le Monde has a a still of the two gunmen outside of the building. The BBC mentioned it a moment ago, so you can hopefully be assured that it is not like some of the other media people will be posting on twitter at present. Despite this, i am only going to post a link to the page dedicated to the story as opposed to the image directly, so as to prevent anything anything too graphic or explicit.

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/live/...u-au-siege-de-charlie-hebdo_4550635_3224.html

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
@Rooney in Dublin - is that your photo mate? Horrible, horrible story. :(
No, luckily I don't work anywhere near there (though I was there just a couple of days ago), it's from someone who witnessed it and posted it on twitter.
Le Monde has a a still of the two gunmen outside of the building. The BBC mentioned it a moment ago, so you can hopefully be assured that it is not like some of the other media people will be posting on twitter at present.
Despite this, i am going to post a link to the page dedicated to the story as opposed to the image directly, just in case i were to miss something.

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/live/...u-au-siege-de-charlie-hebdo_4550635_3224.html
I think it's the image I posted above? It's when they exited the building and opened fire on the police, you can actually see the white police car.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Just 2hrs away by Eurostar, and somewhere where may Brits visiting Paris may have walked or been near. Twelve fatalities now, bloody hell. :(

Have these attackers gone to ground awaiting one last showdown with security forces, or is there another target? Thsi remains very much remains an ongoing and immediate threat.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Apparently the gunmen are "still at large". (BBC)

Two policemen were killed, so they fought off police and got away? fecking hell.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
The sensible approach is to try our best to educate kids growing up that religion is irrational and to encourage critical thinking. Religion is linked to intelligence, improve education and it's influence will diminish.
Yes, because it says in the Quran that it's alright to indiscriminately murder people.

You can interpret these things any way you want, if you want, it's just that other religions generally managed to work out that murdering innocent people because they don't happen to agree with you was a bit off.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Just 2hrs away by Eurostar, and somewhere where may Brits visiting Paris may have walked or been near. Twelve fatalities now, bloody hell. :(

Have these attackers gone to ground awaiting one last showdown with security forces, or is there another target? Thsi remains very much remains an ongoing and immediate threat.
The 'Vigipirate' alert level has been raised to the maximum, the guys fled and the police are looking for them.

So far, there hasn't been specific claim by a terrorist group or anything, though apparently some witnesses claim to have heard 'we're going to avenge the Prophet' and 'Allaou Akbar' (which I think you can hear in that video posted).

12 dead and the counting probably isn't finished, absolutely horrible. Most deadly attack in France since the attack of the Boulevard du Temple in 1835.

Rooney in Paris

Scout

Two policemen were killed, so they fought off police and got away? fecking hell.
Yeah still at large, as far as we know police don't know where they are.

You can see them taking on the police in the pic I posted above and in the video from that tweet by Piers Morgan.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
There is footage from a rooftop in Paris of a man being shot on YouTube now, its fecking sickening.

Sweet Square

BBC

The radical Islamic State group threatened to attack France minutes before Hebdo tweeted a satirical cartoon of the extremist group's leader giving New Year's wishes, AP says.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Le Monde are saying that according to 'indirect police sources', Charb (editor of Charlie Hebdo, and author of the caricatures) is dead.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Unlike the attack in Sydney, it seems these guys know what they're doing, have planned well, and are obviously adept with weapons. Very worrying.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Yeh, wish I hadn't have watched that now.
To be honest I clicked on it somewhat flippantly thinking it would be the usual hard to make out grainy shite that you typically see on videos like that. I was wrong, regretting it now.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If they are still at large, surely more deaths will occur. I cant believe they escaped