Should clubs be limited on how many players they can sign in one window and would it help football?

SemirTuce10

Supports
Velež
I would prefer with maximum salary should/can be 50k per month.

But I can only dream about it and football won't be for the fans anymore.

LazyGoal

I think players' unions would quite rightly have something to say about the idea of an employee's pay getting cut by 90% and their lives uprooted on a whim.
Uhm. They will still be on a proper insane salary. We can keep the farmer clubs close if it makes the difference.

There is really no reason why we should pay for players that dont play or are in the squad.

Players have way to much power.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
The clubs should have that power instead, rather than the people on the pitch who actually play the game that you supposedly enjoy.

I'm loathe to be a "go play FIFA" guy but for some of you it's really what you'd rather be doing in the end.

JSArsenal

Uhm. They will still be on a proper insane salary. We can keep the farmer clubs close if it makes the difference.

There is really no reason why we should pay for players that dont play or are in the squad.

Players have way to much power.
There are billions in the game. I'd rather that money go to the people who actually generate that revenue (the players and staff at the football clubs). The less players make, the more money goes into the owners' pockets.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Leicester? Bournemouth? They’ve not exactly had a great window.

I wouldn’t say our window has been atrocious either.
I meant over the last few years. Both clubs have overspent on mediocre or ill-fitting players. And no, you haven't had a terrible window - you seem to be in the process of starting to fix things as oppose to us.

Cloud7

No but what should happen is a salary cap.

Would be the best thing to happen and help restore order and competition in football
The issue with a salary cap is that the money in football is continually expanding. Where does the money go? If a salary cap exists and the revenue of the club continues to grow, then the money just goes to the owners?

I don’t see the Glazers and Arnold getting more money as preferable to the players.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The issue with a salary cap is that the money in football is continually expanding. Where does the money go? If a salary cap exists and the revenue of the club continues to grow, then the money just goes to the owners?

I don’t see the Glazers and Arnold getting more money as preferable to the players.
* Im not being a smart ass when I ask this*

So how does the NBA and NFL do it ?

Genuine question.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Forest are the Manchester City of the promoted clubs, ridiculous what they been doing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Forest could end up signing 20+ players. Surely that’s something which we shouldn’t encourage?! :confused:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bump due to the Chelsea rampage. Why is it that they are lambasted but Forest aren't? Is it purely because of the fees involved/them being a big club?

bringbackbebe

Bump due to the Chelsea rampage. Why is it that they are lambasted but Forest aren't? Is it purely because of the fees involved/them being a big club?
Forest aren't reading the gossip column & hijacking transfers of rival clubs.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Forest aren't reading the gossip column & hijacking transfers of rival clubs.
Arsenal tracked Danilo for ages before Forest swooped and signed him. Clubs in this league are going to be targeting the same players.

Oranges038

Personally, I don't think their should be transfer windows at all.

All it's done is increase transfer fees, because clubs know there's a limited amount of time available.

Should be scrapped.

Skills

Snitch
This is the way to go about it.

Extreme Idea
- You can only register 19 senior players in your PL squad (aged 21+)
- 23 is the total number of 21+ aged players you're allowed to hold as a club (19 senior players in your squad + 4 you can loan out)
- Each matchday squad must have 5 academy graduates (players at the club aged 17 or earlier)
- No buyback clauses
- The players who don't meet the 21+ cut off walk on a free at the end of the transfer window (this will be a cluster feck at the start with the inflated squads we have now, but soon it'll settle down)

So what would that mean for United this season?

We'd have to cut our PL squad by 6 as we have 25 senior players registered. We also have 4 players over the age of 21 on loan on top of that.

It'd introduce more variation and randomness to the game. If you have an injury crisis you might have to start an under 21 backline - which is fine, because these wildcards is what keeps football interesting.

Judas

Open to offers

All it's done is increase transfer fees, because clubs know there's a limited amount of time available.

Should be scrapped.
Nah. Maybe back in the day, but with the football landscape now they're needed. Otherwise you'd have oil clubs buying new players every time there's an injury. Smaller sides would get ripped apart mid season and be torn up even worse than they already are.

Oranges038

Nah. Maybe back in the day, but with the football landscape now they're needed. Otherwise you'd have oil clubs buying new players every time there's an injury. Smaller sides would get ripped apart mid season and be torn up even worse than they already are.

Clubs can buy players whenever they want anyway, they can only register them during two periods of the year. So realistically there's no point in it.

Lentwood

No, but I do think it would be cool if clubs had to field a certain number of native/Academy players in their XI and/or Match Day squad - for no other reason than it adds a layer of complexity to transfer strategy and team selection.

I used to watch a huge amount of the Indian IPL and they have rules about International players, it just adds another dimension in my opinion and it's not then just about buying the biggest stars, you also have to uncover and invest in local talent

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No for the simple fact small clubs get raided for their best players and they might need to spend on 2-3 cheaper replacements to ensure at least one of them is close in quality.

Another thing is the new trend of running down contracts where you might lose players without even selling them like Chelsea this year.

There's a lot better ways to control the market.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
* Im not being a smart ass when I ask this*

So how does the NBA and NFL do it ?

Genuine question.
From what little I know, the big stars get paid bonkers money and the other dudes on the team (comparatively) peanuts

Oranges038

But that’s different? That’s better than what you suggest.
The whole thing should be scrapped.

Clubs shouldn't be limited in how and when they sign players. It should be when you want and as you need them, time to do the proper groundwork to make sure it's a good deal and not be limited by a timeframe that just forces them to act and spend more money than is required. The selling club are then also not limited in how and when they can get a replacement and end up wasting money received just to get an extra body in.

Squad registration limits are there, so big clubs can't just buy up and stockpile all the players they want.

Sky sports has people conditioned into thinking the transfer window is a big drama. And deadline day is sort of footballing Christmas that comes twice a year.

There was nowt wrong with the old system.

When has a clubs season ever been seriously derailed mid season by big clubs coming in and signing up a chunk of their players?

Judas

Open to offers
The whole thing should be scrapped.

Clubs shouldn't be limited in how and when they sign players. It should be when you want and as you need them, time to do the proper groundwork to make sure it's a good deal and not be limited by a timeframe that just forces them to act and spend more money than is required. The selling club are then also not limited in how and when they can get a replacement and end up wasting money received just to get an extra body in.

Squad registration limits are there, so big clubs can't just buy up and stockpile all the players they want.

Sky sports has people conditioned into thinking the transfer window is a big drama. And deadline day is sort of footballing Christmas that comes twice a year.

There was nowt wrong with the old system.

When has a clubs season ever been seriously derailed mid season by big clubs coming in and signing up a chunk of their players?
Never. Football has changed since before the windows were invented. That’s my point. Look at how teams like Chelsea are behaving now. Football is broken, at least the windows slow teams down a bit, and protect sides like Brighton from getting players picked off every month throughout a season.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'd say you should have limits on the maximum size of a squad (which I think already exists) and you should scrap the winter transferperiod. You form a squad during the summer break and if you feck up or are unlucky you have to use youth players or players you normally wouldn't use instead of robbing a smaller club of their stars mid season.

Look at PSV for instance. They lose all their attacking options over the winter, because Chelsea and Liverpool have their panties bunched up because they're shite despite having a 15 trillion pound squad already. feck off.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Should be scrapped.
Pretty sure part of the reason it was brought it was to stop teams poaching their rival’s players in the middle of the season when they’re competing for the title or to avoid the drop etc.

Last edited:

Oranges038

Never. Football has changed since before the windows were invented. That’s my point. Look at how teams like Chelsea are behaving now. Football is broken, at least the windows slow teams down a bit, and protect sides like Brighton from getting players picked off every month throughout a season.
It's never happened. But Bayern still managed to screw Dortmund out of a player for a CL final even with them in place.

So the whole point of this being part of the reasoning for windows is moot.

January transfer window is still there and it has the opportunity to do the same. It rarely ever happens.

Either scrap both and allow transfers all the time or if the fear is teams getting their best players poached and potentially ruining their season. Scrap the mid season one and make teams have a set squad for the season from the off and only allow them to bring in players on free transfers if they are without a club.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
There should be a hard team salary cap.

Buy who you like but you're only able to register players up to the cap amount.

The current financial controls are really laughable. The same teams will dominate forever pretty much.

Football has become a broken sport. You can see it at City and with us (Chelsea), you can see it in Liverpools FA cup games and you could see it with Argentina at the world cup.

It's going to take a major crisis to change anything much though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Should Germans be limited on howany wursts can buy with their own money?
Clubs are already limited how much they can spend of their own money though. That’s why we are in the position we are. We would spend more but we aren’t allowed to due to FFP.

Last edited:

Devil77

I would prefer with maximum salary should/can be 50k per month.

But I can only dream about it and football won't be for the fans anymore.
Agree 100%. But I guess the rich owners would instead pay the players using some sponsor scheme or image rights or whatever.