Should corner circles be replaced?

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
We all have the classic image of a linesman stopping a corner by Luke Shaw because the ball isn't fully in the circle.

I propose that corners should be replaced either by having to take the corner with the ball outside of the pitch(you don't take a throw in inside the pitch right?) This way it improves the game by stopping corners from being taken too close to the goal.

Chief123

We all have the classic image of a linesman stopping a corner by Luke Shaw because the ball isn't fully in the circle.

I propose that corners should be replaced either by having to take the corner with the ball outside of the pitch(you don't take a throw in inside the pitch right?) This way it improves the game by stopping corners from being taken too close to the goal.
It’s barely going to make a difference mate. We are talking inches. I don’t see how it improves the game. Moving it back slightly just means encroaching the ball still but from a bit further back. Of all the changes in football, this is probably the least necessary.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
I’d just like the ball to be placed inside the corner quadrant rather than a player trying to hang the ball on the last piece of painted grass.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yes. In fact, the act of taking a corner should be replaced by a requirement to do at least three keepy uppies on the other side of the touchline before volleying the ball into the box.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Change them to throws, and allow each team to hire an individual thrower who never enters the field of play. He only throws. Rory Delap suddenly worth £80million out of retirement.

Murray3007

never really understood why they have the quadrant bit, always think the ball should just be placed on the line to take the kick.

MattJ166

I would say corners are becoming pointless or rather usually ineffective (might just be the hindrance of watching us attempt to cross it in) but Southampton scored a cheeky effort from a short pass in their last game that was nice to see! WOnder how long it'll be before there is some "tactical innovation" surrounding these

RedCurry

never really understood why they have the quadrant bit, always think the ball should just be placed on the line to take the kick.
It is to allow either left footed or right footed player to take the kick from either side. If a left footed player takes an out-swinging corner from the left corner flag, with the ball being on the byline, it would go out of play a lot more often before curving back in.

Dante

Average bang

If that becomes the rule, most teams would move the dead ball 20 -30 yards towards the halfway line in order to get a better angle of delivery. Or they'd would move it 10-15 yards towards the near post in order to be closer to the goalline.

Basically, they'd take the piss. So in order the avoid the two possibilities above, you'd need to create some kind of new quadrant to stop the attacking team from doing that. And the choice is either to a create a new corner circle behind the touch-line (which makes it harder to put in a threatening ball and worsens the current situation) or to keep the corner circle exactly where it is. Might as well keep things the way they are if that's the choice.

That being said, I guess one more alternative is to make the existing corner circle bigger. That might work. But I'm not sure I'd want to see every corner kick turn into a super dangerous situation. I kind of like that they're relatively hard to score from. It would upset the balance of play if we incentivised kicking the ball off a defender into touch every time you get into the final third.

Murray3007

It is to allow either left footed or right footed player to take the kick from either side. If a left footed player takes an out-swinging corner from the left corner flag, with the ball being on the byline, it would go out of play a lot more often before curving back in.
both could take them from the line, if the player cant keep it in the park that's on them and a poor standard.

Deery

Dreary
Can we really talk about how far keepers are out their box when they punt a ball upfield?
Absolutely scandalous.
I think I remember Pepe Reina getting blew up for that in a Liverpool game, not tackled strongly enough anymore, should have a VAR inquest into them.

SirAF

Ageist
It’s barely going to make a difference mate. We are talking inches. I don’t see how it improves the game. Moving it back slightly just means encroaching the ball still but from a bit further back. Of all the changes in football, this is probably the least necessary.
That’s what she said.

Deery

Dreary
I don’t understand why the need for flag poles anyway just put the ball on the joint and kick it, down with flag poles.

big oak ranch[/URL]

Chief123

Can we really talk about how far keepers are out their box when they punt a ball upfield?
Absolutely scandalous.
Keepers are allowed out of their box. Nothing scandalous. As long as the ball leaves the keepers hands before they leave the box, it's perfectly fine.

miked99

I’d just like the ball to be placed inside the corner quadrant rather than a player trying to hang the ball on the last piece of painted grass.
I just don't get this sudden obsession with trying to sneak the ball a millimetere outside the quadrant. It never used to be a thing but now everyone is doing it. How much difference can it possibly make?

Reactions: Cheimoon

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
One of the few (many) times where stats could help make a positive change.

IIRC around 3% of corners are scored making that roughly 1/33 corners that lead to GOALLLL

Experiment with the size of the quadrant by making it bigger until you get to at least 1/20. Or roughly 5% of them leading to GOALLLL

Corners are boring as muck as they are and defenders know that all they have to do is shepherd the ball out of play because they're ineffectual

UnitedFire

I don’t understand why the need for flag poles anyway just put the ball on the joint and kick it, down with flag poles.

big oak ranch[/URL]
Flag poles are there to decide if a ball goes off for a corner or throw, I.e. it can't be both if a flag is in the way!

The reason for the ball being in the quadrant is that the ball is in the field of play. An out swinging corner will by default then likely go out of play. If it was right on the corner then technically an out swinging corner wouldn't have either entered or left the field of play so could do out swinging corners.

I do think out swinging corners should be allowed. As long as its a continuous cross we shouldn't worry about the semantics of it swinging outwards.

Making the corner space bigger would definitely be a good option for this reason as well so can have either lefties or righties taking corners either side. Would also open up other avenues. That video on here explain it well.

The number of people in the box being less I disagree with. A corner should still be a relatively low odds opportunity, but if only getting 3% of goals from corners it might be nice to open up the potential for that to get to 10%!

UnitedFire

I just don't get this sudden obsession with trying to sneak the ball a millimetere outside the quadrant. It never used to be a thing but now everyone is doing it. How much difference can it possibly make?
If the quality of the grass is better I.e. at lower levels of football then probably quite a lot. At Prem level not much!

donkeyfish

There's a blatant bias towards circles and squares in our beautiful game that's been allowed to go on for way too long, it's time for the lesser shapes to get their moment in the sun. Like the trapezoid or rhombus.

poleglass red

corners and throw ins should be removed, just have cushioned walls running along the lines and players and ball can bounce of them, reduce time wasting.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
corners and throw ins should be removed, just have cushioned walls running along the lines and players and ball can bounce of them, reduce time wasting.
What about the many, many times that the ball is above knee height?

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
One corner technique I've never seen tried is just blasting the ball in the box kinda like Ronaldo used to take his free kicks dead on with no curve

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I might have OCD I get really annoyed when the corner taker places it and its not touching the paint. Like really fecking annoyed. cnuts.