Should English football be suspended?

Deery

Dreary
I doubt any footballer would die. You hardly see other rich people dying of Corona. And before anyone bites, it's not because I believe in conspiracy theories, but rich people generally get better threatment, plus footballers are generally healthy, so they probably have bigger probability having major injuries while playing football than dying of Covid.
It is highly unlikely given their health and age but still not completely impossible.

Trequarista10

If football clubs have the money to do regular tests and put the necessary safety measures in place then it's fine by me for football to continue. I assume every person who enters a stadium at a premier league football match is tested before and after the match, or within a few days either side anyway. Or is that overly optimistic? Are general stadium staff tested for example? I don't know.

Not sure how it's working at the lower levels either. Are clubs getting financial support to oblige by the covid guidelines? Are footballers at League Two clubs being tested numerous times a week? I vaguely remember some financial support package proposed largely by United and other big clubs but don't recall if that was implemented or not.

Ludens the Red

People need to stop being such drama queens seriously.
we knew there would be a minor blip at some stage. We knew this would happen and the response is not to overreact and make rash decisions.
It was obvious and thats why procedures were put in place.
There are 20 Premier League clubs. At this point only Fulham, Newcastle and Man City have requested postponements. There hasn’t been a point at anytime where more than two clubs have had a large scale outbreak. The bar cannot be set that low to bring it all to a halt.
What of the 16 other clubs who have managed the situation without a mass outbreak? On what grounds are you telling these clubs that they need to pause their season and potentially sabotage their season.

ROFLUTION

There are people who have tested positive after receiving Pfizer's vaccine so I don't think this will help.
Hmm I guess it's about 97% the vaccine works for, but it's better than 0% getting the vaccine and continuing under current circumstances?

RedDevil@84

Why not just privately buy vaccines somehow?
FA as a league buying from Pfizer? Surely it's a good commercial for the vaccine too if no new cases are found after giving the vaccine (there's antivaxers out there too)
FA can buy, but footballers need to sign up for getting vaccinated.

Revan

Assumptionman
No, we need some entertainment. And the players are all the time tested, their contact with the world is minimal so it is all ok.

NB: talking about EPL, don’t care about the others.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
People need to stop being such drama queens seriously.
we knew there would be a minor blip at some stage. We knew this would happen and the response is not to overreact and make rash decisions.
It was obvious and thats why procedures were put in place.
There are 20 Premier League clubs. At this point only Fulham, Newcastle and Man City have requested postponements. There hasn’t been a point at anytime where more than two clubs have had a large scale outbreak. The bar cannot be set that low to bring it all to a halt.
What of the 16 other clubs who have managed the situation without a mass outbreak? On what grounds are you telling these clubs that they need to pause their season and potentially sabotage their season.
There's other leagues too....
English football consists of more than the premier League, and the lower leagues have been cancelling games left right and centre.

The postponed games create an unfair situation for clubs, some clubs are without players, others have an extra break by bit playing etc etc.

The simple fact is the FA, Premier League and EFL suspended football in the 'first wave' yet here we are even worse off with more positive tests than ever in the 'second wave' yet no real talk of suspension.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If football clubs have the money to do regular tests and put the necessary safety measures in place then it's fine by me for football to continue. I assume every person who enters a stadium at a premier league football match is tested before and after the match, or within a few days either side anyway. Or is that overly optimistic? Are general stadium staff tested for example? I don't know.

Not sure how it's working at the lower levels either. Are clubs getting financial support to oblige by the covid guidelines? Are footballers at League Two clubs being tested numerous times a week? I vaguely remember some financial support package proposed largely by United and other big clubs but don't recall if that was implemented or not.
The financial support wasn't accepted by the clubs.
They are not being tested in league one and two, and if they are it's at the clubs expense,
This situation highlights the gulf between the Premiership and the rest...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah this is what needs to be done. You'd think the clubs would come down harder on them seeing as these breeches will cost their teams points.
Yeah it’s so weird how soft clubs are. I mean I get it, because the power is basically in the player’s hands these days and we’re at a point where clubs have to pander to them, but it shouldn’t be that way, especially when it can cost them millions

Yeah it’s so weird how soft clubs are. I mean I get it, because the power is basically in the player’s hands these days and we’re at a point where clubs have to pander to them, but it shouldn’t be that way, especially when it can cost them millions
I bet the clubs would welcome (not necessarily publicly) the PL imposing bans and fines. Takes it out of their hands.

Traub

I don’t think vaccines can be bought privately, as purchasing via the government allows for no liability in case they end up having side effects.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There are people who have tested positive after receiving Pfizer's vaccine so I don't think this will help.
The vaccine doesn't stop you getting or passing the virus on.
It minimises the effect of the virus to you.

So vaccinating the footballers doesn't prevent the absolutely key issue - stopping vulnerable people dying.

Okey

Essential shops are open. So are several other sectors of society. Few with anything near the protection and resources footballers have access to. It's not like the whole of society has shut down. Clubs just need to focus on tightening their procedures and bubbles. It's manageable, in my opinion.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

So vaccinating the footballers doesn't prevent the absolutely key issue - stopping vulnerable people dying.
I know that.
@ROFLUTION was the one made the suggestion.

hobbers

No, unless it gets to the point where the majority of teams are suffering too many covid isolators.

The bubbles are really well maintained. The risk is probably lower for a football than any normal person going about their typical day, at least anyone who cant work from home.

ROFLUTION

Surely it prevents these footballer of having serious diseases? like long term effects of the vira. Bruce said it had taken its toll on his players.

Im not 100% into how the virus is carried on, but if players are vaccinated and senior vulnerable staff too like Bruce, Allardyce, then are the vulnerable people in this closed circuit not protected? What's the problem? The vulnerable people will be vaccinated leaving it about 97% more safe than now? (Maybe I'm being naive, but please explain)

TrustInOle

No, we need some entertainment. And the players are all the time tested, their contact with the world is minimal so it is all ok.

NB: talking about EPL, don’t care about the others.
This. Second lockdown is already slightly more tolerable thanks to having the footy to look forward to. As you say, other than the obvious outliers and rule breakers, the players will be some of the most protected people in the country who will literally have no access to the rest whilst this all goes on.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The bubbles are really well maintained.
They are? They all seem to be constantly getting fresh trims during lockdowns and partying by the looks of it.

Plus there’s all the staff at the training ground. There must be a fair few that don’t give a shit, like the rest of the population. That said, I doubt the effects of football counts to much on the grand scale.

Although you still might be bothered if the footballer’s hairdresser nips to Dubai and back, he passes it on to Mildred in the canteen, and she walks past ye gran in Tesco.

Last edited:

AkaAkuma

I only follow the news and scores now, but today saw images of players hugging, scrumming, mourinho shaking hands with the brenford manager, Hojberg in a head to head chat with the same manager.

The brentford manager test positive 2 days later.

Is this common, or media creating a false narrative? if its common it should stop.

Also if the premier leagues finances can create a strong bubble what happens when they play a league 2 side in the cup?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Although you still might be bothered if the footballer’s hairdresser nips to Dubai and back, he passes it on to Mildred in the canteen, and she walks past ye gran in Tesco.
Or if Ian Huntley escapes from prison and turns up to one of the matches with a machine gun...

If we play if, buts and maybe's we may aswell cancel football for good, life even, let's commit to being hermits and be done with it.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
You could argue Man City have already gained an unfair advantage because of games being cancelled, how many times has that got to happen before clubs start to complain? I guess we'll see how it goes, but if it's getting to the point where a few games on a single game day are cancelled then I don't see how they can't postpone it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Unless there's new evidence on this that I haven't seen then I think you've got the wrong end of the stick slightly here.

As I understand it there is no evidence that the vaccine does stop transmission of the disease through the vaccinated person, but there's also no evidence that it doesn't.

And if you think about an asymptomatic carrier they won't be coughing, sweating and spluttering in the same way as somebody with symptoms might. Given it's thought to be a largely airborne illness then you'd have to think it would at least reduce the risk of transmission to some degree. And furthermore, I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has found clear evidence of a case of asymptomatic transmission of Covid at all, anywhere in the world, even in non-vaccinated folks. If that is correct then you'd have to assume it's odds on that the vaccine will reduce or even completely stop transmission.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You could argue Man City have already gained an unfair advantage because of games being cancelled,
By that metric you and City were also given unfair advantages by not having to play on the first week of the season. Judging by the lack of fitness from both of you for the first part of the season there's every chance you'd both have been beaten. Instead you now get the chance to play what should have been your opening fixture in peak condition and top form as opposed to the shambles you both were in September. What if you or City win the league by a point? Villa miss out on the CL through GD? Or Burnley are relegated one point of safety?

Also, whatever "advantage" they gained this week will likely be countered whenever they have to furfill their game at Goodison, which if they make a fist of CL is likely to fall at a very inconvenient time.

Shit happens!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Or if Ian Huntley escapes from prison and turns up to one of the matches with a machine gun...

If we play if, buts and maybe's we may aswell cancel football for good, life even, let's commit to being hermits and be done with it.
Countering if buts and maybes is exactly how it’s fought though. My point is footballers will have a minimal effect on the grand scale of things, but them taking the piss like they have been doing puts peoples lives at risk, just like with anyone else.

Ludens the Red

There's other leagues too....
English football consists of more than the premier League, and the lower leagues have been cancelling games left right and centre.

The postponed games create an unfair situation for clubs, some clubs are without players, others have an extra break by bit playing etc etc.

The simple fact is the FA, Premier League and EFL suspended football in the 'first wave' yet here we are even worse off with more positive tests than ever in the 'second wave' yet no real talk of suspension.
Yup there are and now the Pfa have agreed to pay for the EFL’s track and trace because they knew letting it run like that wasn’t sustainable.

Bit in bold? Again this was expected and foreseen. There is no surprise or shock here. The answer isn’t to stop it all and make things harder in the long run to complete the season. This is not the first time in football, games have been postponed. It is not the first time in football other teams have longer breaks than others. It is not the first time teams have players unavailable for selection. This has happened every year in the history of football and it wasn’t deemed unfair then. Why is it now unfair ? Just because it’s covid?

It was suspended in the first wave because there were lots of unknowns, media and public pressure and they didn’t have the testing system in place. Now they do. It’s a completely different situation.

I don’t understand why we’re going down this road again. It’s like we’re back in March. The dramatic hyperbole, the outrage, the fake concern.
People knew and said this would happen. Even on here Pogue was telling everyone the second wave would come and be worse during winter. We knew football would work through it. We knew some teams would get outbreaks. Why are we back here again with these discussions about cancelling/suspending/outrage etc?

Last edited:
I think it's hard to sell a full lockdown to ordinary folk who's lives have been turned upside down - while propping up an industry that's full of idiots being payed disgusting amounts of money who can't even be arsed following the rules.
Really hate this mentality. Only in this country are working class people who become hugely wealthy made to feel guilty.

Why not judge the politicians and billionaires who were born into wealth.

Watching lite sport is one of the few getaways for people stuck in lockdown.

Clubs should clamp down on players breaking lockdown rules. Clubs and players should definitely not be exploiting the travel ban exemptions for elite sports to fly off on holiday.

So keep it going. If anything like Vila showed today. The Man City excuse should no longer apply.

Really hate this mentality. Only in this country are working class people who become hugely wealthy made to feel guilty.

I think the issue is when you see painfully average footballers earning millions. No one really begrudges the great players, there will be some rumblings, in the same way some people don’t like Lewis Hamilton / but overall most people will say “fair play”, you are great at what you do.

the reason why people get pissed off of footballers, is when you see the likes of Sanchez and his United contact, or someone like Rojo stealing a living.

people won’t generally begrudge Rashford (yes there are some fecktards...), or Kane for example. Too many average players earn ridiculous wages.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This makes no sense. A circuit breaker two weeks ago when there was no lockdown would have been pointless and just caused nothing but fixture congestion. Now the country is in lockdown it is the perfect time to have one given that in 2 weeks time the number of cases will be much lower.
I doubt the cases will be much lower, in 2 weeks. The virus is out of control, highly contagious and a lot of people are flouting the rules.
In 2 weeks, I think the virus cases will be similar to what they are now. Only time will tell, though.

city-puma

During the pandemic, I feel people’s mental health is important issue normally the government would ignore or not pay much attention.
Professional football is similar to entertainment industry in many ways. It can give a lot to fans week-in and week-out, especially in such difficult time.
The players should be given vaccines so that the league can continue.

AkaAkuma

What is the actual PL bubble - who buys the players food?

Stupid question but with so much money at stake id expect clubs to be completely isolated with minimum contact outside of a few people running errands.

I mention this as saint maximin a player who suffered bad symptoms has been in the news having a selfie in a supermarket.

matt23

Because I was in a thread on the caf talking about English football, mate.

Nobody should feel guilty because of their wealth. I'm talking about the privilege these players have been given to carry on doing their jobs during a national lockdown - and the amount of selfish behavior we've seen from players, and clubs - refusing to dole out any sort of punishment for breaking laws.