Should Fatties be made run Marathons?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
From the outset - I know this topic may not be to everyone's taste or indeed pass the PC brigade test, for that I don't give a toss.

I'm just back after watching the finish of the Belfast Marathon. This year I took no part as I am otherwise engaged.

As I watched all the people cross the finishing line - I am amazed at how many fat people are not involved in it. Should something be done to encourage fatties to run more?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I used to be a fattie in my youth, then I discovered meth. My life has never been the same since.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
My fattie friend who had type 2 diabetes, couldnt stand for longer than 5 minutes and needed a machine to sleep started training for a marathon that he completed last week. He's lost 10 stone.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Wasn't there a story from the London Marathon where the slower runners actually got mocked during the run by employed organisers of the event? Let alone members of the public.

I have full respect for anyone who completes a Marathon and those that mock tend to be people who wouldn't be able to do it themselves. Neither the fitness levels or bollocks to train to do it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
My fattie friend who had type 2 diabetes, couldnt stand for longer than 5 minutes and needed a machine to sleep started training for a marathon that he completed last week. He's lost 10 stone.
When did he start it?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Wasn't there a story from the London Marathon where the slower runners actually got mocked during the run by employed organisers of the event? Let alone members of the public.

I have full respect for anyone who completes a Marathon and those that mock tend to be people who wouldn't be able to do it themselves. Neither the fitness levels or bollocks to train to do it.
I think it was the slow pace-makers who were being jeered - evidently there are runners brought in to deliberately run at a slow pace to help the stragglers finish.

Abizzz

Feck no.

It's the health freaks we need to tackle via higher taxes etc. They are the ones living selfishly long.

Also: Who watches a marathon run in? What do you actually watch when you do? Could just as well watch the stairwell of a busy tube station to be honest (probably more entertaining). Run yourself if you're going to make rules about people having to run!