Should football pitches be circular?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think if we encased the pitch in a dome we could also eliminate the need for throw-ins too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Just get rid of the corner flag entirely. Every time the ball goes out, regardless of whether it's the touchline or goal line, it's brought back into play via a throw-in.

C'est Moi Cantona

Personally I like the idea of a triangle pitch, would be interesting to see which end has the biggest advantage.

Charles Miller

We should allow more contact, playing carrying the ball with their hands. The goal should be larger and taller and with no goalkeeper.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I think this is a neat idea. But more importantly: the goals should be circular as well so that the formal conflict with the roundish form of the ball is finally solved.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They should, but only if the ball becomes square. Otherwise the space time continuum would be fecked and we would all become Michael Owen.

cyberman

I used to randomly think about how lucky we are that football applies the rules it did. How different would the game be if we had 12 players instead of 11? If the goals were slightly smaller or larger than what we have now? The change in history would be astronomical. Goals that went just wide go in, historical goals that went just inside the post go wide.

Red Royal

We'd have to change some songs:-

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running round the wing
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running around the wing
Feared by the blues
Loved by the reds
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running round the wing
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running around the wing
Feared by the blues
Loved by the reds
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I've always said that football should be played on a slightly sloping field, the local team playing the entire match downhill.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They are circular. They look (vaguely, depending on where you view them from) rectangular - but that's just an optical illusion.

The question is whether they should be triangular (they shouldn't - but it could easily happen if they give the job to whatsherface or whatshisface, the one who'll replace Boris).

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Would this improve play but eliminating the corners where not much happens?
Good idea?
Excellent idea ... I'd like it to become like ice hockey where you are allowed to play behind goal and I'd like 3-4 foot high walls around the pitch (instead of lines) that allow you to rebound the ball. Would make the game more unpredictable and faster.
The pitch will have a radius of 56m to mimic the area covered by players.
Structure of the net will have to change to avoid getting the ball entangled when it is played behind the net.
Wingers will become less important unless they act as inverted forwards or can play as attacking mids.

I’m loving my life

I think they should be the same shape, dimensions, and ground area as they are now.

BUT the goals should be elevated around 10 feet off the ground on a platform, forcing strikers to have to lob it really high.

The keepers might think they have it easy, until they are forced to make an overzealous save and plummet off the platform onto the regular pitch.

MileStolar

Some guys in Serbia already tried to make it work, they call it wheelball. It's 6v6, you have four smaller goals also which can discard a player or two from the enemy team if you score there. It's wacky and it's probably dead already...

RC89

I think we make an octagon pitch and have more corners.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Same poster. Name was changed (back?) to @Ajr not too long ago.
Aaaah… that makes sense.
Also explains why i haven't noticed any of his threads.

Guess we agree then! :lol: