Should footballers stop wearing shin pads?

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Most footballers wear the smallest shin pads known to mankind nowadays that don't really do anything. Bigger shinpads also are really uncomfortable. Should footballers replace shinpads with something else or stop wearing them?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Do you mean when they are trying to hold the ball up in the curved corners?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Seems like a well-researched suggestion. There are tons of academic research on the matter available which shows the importance of them. The argument should be on making custom-fit ones and possibly from a different material as standard adidas/Nike’s shin pads don’t protect as well as they can (should?).

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bubble wrap. This will also help the officials to know when there has been contact in that area.

Mickson

I wouldn't even want to play without, you get a lot of kicks. Both intentional and non-intentional.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Bubble wrap. This will also help the officials to know when there has been contact in that area.
That, or gel pads with fake blood. Will really help officials.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They should all wear exo-skeletons instead.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Players should have their shins replaced with titanium bones.

However shins should be square so players can't start shining the ball and scoring.

diarm

I can only assumr the OP has never been kicked on the shin.

Easily the most stupid body part we have. Unbelievably painful, relatively fragile and totally unprotected by any fat or meat.

SuperiorXI

We should have a drone fly on the pitch every 15 minutes to drop a pair, whoever is closest gets to put them on and survives the inevitable leg break

Lynty

Easily the most stupid body part we have. Unbelievably painful, relatively fragile and totally unprotected by any fat or meat.
I can only assume this guy doesn't have testicles.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

You should research the threads started by the OP. This one is pretty sane by his standards. He is trolling the board weekly.

diarm

I can only assume this guy doesn't have testicles.
I've managed to play 30+ years of football without ever being kicked in the balls.

Sorry, I've just realised you are referring to them being unprotected. Very fair point.

Pass and Move

I've long thought they should use D3o material. It would offer flexibility and unrestricted movement while running, and protection upon impact.

sangria

Most footballers wear the smallest shin pads known to mankind nowadays that don't really do anything. Bigger shinpads also are really uncomfortable. Should footballers replace shinpads with something else or stop wearing them?
Reactive armour. Reduces the impact of the foul, and punishes the player doing the fouling. Might have to reassemble both players afterwards though.