Should Fred be offered a new contract?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’s got backup written all over him. For that, he’s fine. But will he ever be that?

JustKatie

On a lesser wage (compared to the big earners) I've no issue with it.
He's not a terrible player and okay to rest some legs now and then but that's about it

He does have the occasional stunning game but then so does McTominay (as did Jesse fecking Lingard).
Backup option only

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You really think so? I reckon if you did a poll on here more people would favour Fellaini over Fred
You’re probably not wrong but that doesn’t make Fred a worse player. This place isn’t exactly an accurate barometer is it? God forbid the club start hiring and firing players based on some blokes shouting on the internet!

Plant0x84

He's in poor form at the moment but he's still been overall pretty solid for us. We could do a lot worse. His passing is so erratic though.
He seems to be better a) played further forward (8 rather than 6) and b) when he has a run of games to build momentum. Being in and out of the team is hindering his performance this season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He seems to be better a) played further forward (8 rather than 6) and b) when he has a run of games to build momentum. Being in and out of the team is hindering his performance this season.
I think there's less and less room for a player like that these days. It's becoming more and more a squad game and players come in and out all the time now.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s my favourite player but he’s been awful this season apart from one game I think. I’d like to keep him around for another season or two but he’s hardly the future of the club is he. Same thing as Ander. I love him but we can and probably should do a bit better. I do think we really need pressing players though and it’s massively underrated on here how our lack of pressing aggression and work rate have hurt us over the last few years.

Chinchy98

Of course this should be done. He’s a solid rotation option (when the other 2 midfielders in a 3 are first choice). Resign him and then move him on

Red Star One

He’s my favourite player but he’s been awful this season apart from one game I think. I’d like to keep him around for another season or two but he’s hardly the future of the club is he. Same thing as Ander. I love him but we can and probably should do a bit better. I do think we really need pressing players though and it’s massively underrated on here how our lack of pressing aggression and work rate have hurt us over the last few years.
If he’s same thing as Ander - and I agree their performances in United shirt can be rated similarly - we’ll miss him and have another 40-50m hole in a team. We need squad players like Fred and teams that challenge the trophies need a long, solid squad of more than 11 players. Fred has to be ready to be in and out of the team and always put 110% when he plays, I think he’s quite happy here and I’d guess his relationship with ETH isn’t bad, so for me it’s a 100% keep him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If he’s same thing as Ander - and I agree their performances in United shirt can be rated similarly - we’ll miss him and have another 40-50m hole in a team. We need squad players like Fred and teams that challenge the trophies need a long, solid squad of more than 11 players. Fred has to be ready to be in and out of the team and always put 110% when he plays, I think he’s quite happy here and I’d guess his relationship with ETH isn’t bad, so for me it’s a 100% keep him.
I think every team needs a few all out water carriers and he’s good at that. He's not a playmaker at this level though. I accept that.

DevilRed

Him and McT should NEVER play together. EVER.

Also, its been 5 years of this guy now. If you can't see by now how far from the required standard he is, then I don't know how to help you.

Its NOT good enough to have a decent match one in every 5 (and i'm being generous). Its not acceptable as a midfielder for Manchester United to be unable to pass the ball more than 5 yards accurately.

Get him out of this club. Let someone else better take his place.

Its criminal he is still here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Is the source really that dodgy Subreddit?

Stadjer

Fred plays with a lot of 'heart' and that endears him to many fans, but his mistakes are predictable and quite often costly. When he manages some successful passages of play, you feel it's almost by accident, when he fouls up you shake your head or maybe just shrug your shoulders, or if you are really generous, you say 'well its only Fred'!

I think (hope)that with ETH's appointment we are now getting beyond the 'make do and mend' stage, Fred has been the very epitome of this stage and it's time to move on, for us and for him.
Fred endears himself to a lot of fans? I didnt notice that. Most of the time i see people trashing Fred. One bad pass and he is the worst player to have ever played for Manchester United...

mctrials23

Fred endears himself to a lot of fans? I didnt notice that. Most of the time i see people trashing Fred. One bad pass and he is the worst player to have ever played for Manchester United...
I like Fred. Always seems to enjoy playing for United. Never felt like he wasn't putting in the effort last season when everyone around him was downing tools. Keeps his head up despite lots of criticism. Never seems to be playing for himself or his personal glory unlike certain players.

The only thing not to like about Fred is that he probably isn't quite at the level we need for a first XI player.

Considering my feelings on quite a few of our players I do very much like Fred. I think a lot of people feel the same way. Not quite good enough but tries to do everything you could want him to. Hard to dislike a guy for that.

Red_Heisenberg

Suppose it all depends on how Fred sees himself within the squad. If he expects to be a key player, starting the majority of the games, it's probably time for us to go our seperate ways.

If, however he's willing to be a rotation player, who comes in when someone needs a rest or a big game where his energy and work rate would be useful, then personally i'd be happy to sign him up again. Every player in your squad can't be world class, there would be too much tension in the dressing room from the players who are being left out. Fred seems to genuinely love playing for the club, gives 100% and as a squad option, in my opinion is quite useful.

I think most of the hate for Fred comes from the fact that him and McTominay were our main midfield pairing, which everyone could see wasn't up to standard. If he'd been signed and was used in the manner described above, I think he'd be looked on much more fondly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The problem is that either way (keep or let go) we'll be losing money. That's something that a properly run club with a proper DOF and CEO in it wouldn't have allowed to happen. Fred and Donny should have been sold in the summer. An extra 50m-60m could have been used to bring in a striker or a playmaker.
Totally agree. I mean Donny was the most obvious sale there ever was. He's completely lost and has been at multiple clubs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We have Iqbal, we have Hannibal, we have Kebbie. These players getting blocked by the likes of Fred has no short or long term value. Even if those young players flop, we could spend spend £15m on an average player and won't get much worse than Fred.

MrSingh2002

Fred cannot pass the ball, rarely wants the ball in tight areas because he knows he would only lose the ball anyway. Horrible yesterday against Villa, the feeling in the crowd was clear too. I wouldn't want his contract renewed when the game time could go to a younger/better/ player with more potential. He's a box to box midfielder with no passing ability or ball control. I think we can do better.

I'd like the midfield next year to be Casemiro, Eriksen, De Jong type CM, McTominay, with Iqbal and Savage as supporting the first team getting some minutes.

Plant0x84

How's it ridiculous? I mean if you think Fred is better fair enough but hardly an outlandish take to think the opposite.
I consider it ridiculous because Fellaini was only ever a ‘put the big on guy on for the last half hour and lump it up the field to him’ option. He literally offered nothing else and for somebody so tall him heading was usually suspect too.
Fred offers much more for me, and he doesn’t use his elbows half as much either!

Silas

As hopelessly limited as he is sometimes, he's still one of our 'deadweights' that I believe we'd be able to sell easily. Brazil international and a hard worker to boot, I'm sure he'd have plenty of suitors if he was up for sale.

I'd personally offer him a short contract with no improved terms, and then possibly fetch a fee for him the summer after next once we hopefully have better options in midfield.
Agreed. Short contract, then see if the likes of Hannibal are able to phase him out over the next season (surely), then sell.

AndySmith1990

Plenty of questions are asked as to why we end up with bloated squads full of deadwood we can't get rid of, and why we've been consistently shit for years. But then you see people advocating handing out new contracts to players who aren't good enough.

Put 2 and 2 together and perhaps you'll realise we need to operate differently to break the cycle

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
On a lesser wage (compared to the big earners) I've no issue with it.
He's not a terrible player and okay to rest some legs now and then but that's about it

He does have the occasional stunning game but then so does McTominay (as did Jesse fecking Lingard).
Backup option only
Is he not in the Brazil squad for the World Cup? It is highly likely Brazil will do well, I think they are favourites, so assuming he plays and they get to say the semi-final or final he is going to demand a pay-rise not a pay cut. I'm sure his agent will get it too.

Plant0x84

Fellaini is/was much better.
Agree to disagree. I really didn’t like Fellaini, everything about his signing was a farce and he had no business in a United shirt, let alone on the pitch. He was never a Utd player. Fred by his own admission isn’t the most technical player, or the best in the world but as a generally useful squad option he has value and is head and shoulders above Fellaini (which is ironic)

Frank Grimes

I consider it ridiculous because Fellaini was only ever a ‘put the big on guy on for the last half hour and lump it up the field to him’ option. He literally offered nothing else and for somebody so tall him heading was usually suspect too.
Fred offers much more for me, and he doesn’t use his elbows half as much either!
I disagree. Fellini was part of a midfield that dominated in Anfield in 2015 (our most dominant display in Anfield I've witnessed probably) and against City the same season when we beat them 4-2. Don't ever remember his passing to be as shit as Fred's, he was basic but nowhere near as sloppy.

MrSingh2002

Agree to disagree. I really didn’t like Fellaini, everything about his signing was a farce and he had no business in a United shirt, let alone on the pitch. He was never a Utd player. Fred by his own admission isn’t the most technical player, or the best in the world but as a generally useful squad option he has value and is head and shoulders above Fellaini (which is ironic)
I agree Fellaini should never have been signed. But who historically can you compare Fred to in terms of his quality on the ball? Cleverley? Kleberson?

Even as defensive midfielders, Keane and Carricks abilities on the ball piss all over Fred. What's the point in a box to boxer that can't pass or shoot? The profile of his qualities are limited to gets back quickly and has good cardio.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s got backup written all over him. For that, he’s fine. But will he ever be that?
How many backups do we want though? Mctominay and Fred are backup level midfielders. Ideally 3rd choice really. That leaves Casemiro and Eriksen are first choice and both very good but also both 30 with Eriksen not the most physically robust either. Which makes us rely on these too much.

MrSingh2002

I'd rather we spent a lot on De Jong or took Tielemans on a free than extend Fred's contract.

Superden

how about we have backup players that are actually good? for all his enthusiasm and postive vibes, he just doesnt have the skillset for our midfield. not good enough creatively and not smart enough defensively.

Gator Nate

Yeah, probably.

2+1 deal on strictly squad player wages, though.
This is where I am. He serves a purpose in our squad, whether people like it or not. He should not get a long contract, and at two years we can let him walk or go on for another year, but if he wants to find a better deal and can do so, then thank him for his services and move on.

LoneStar

Would not mind giving him a 1 year extension. Gives us time till we find someone else. I am not sure what wages he's on, but he should be paid as a squad player and not as a starter.

fezzerUTD

There is no way Marouane fecking Fellaini is/was a better player than Fred. That’s simply a ridiculous take.
Fellaini for Everton was quite good in their style of play. Much better than Fred. The Fred cross last night is him in a nutshell. Crap touch, great positioning and terrible ball. Awful player. Cant stand he chews and smiles whilst getting thrashed as well.