Should Fred be offered a new contract?

Scholsey2004

It depends how ready and capable Iqbal and possibly Mejbri are. I dont see us signing another midfielder for a while when we've spent a lot already and still need a striker.

The-Natural

I don’t give two shits about the Brazil national team. In terms of finding an attacking midfielder who knows the basics of football better than Fred, yeah, I’d gamble on a player in the Championship. Fred is bad.
I'm not asking you to give two shits about the Brazil national. I don't either. I'm highlighting to you the nonsense of suggesting that any player in the Championship is at the same level as him.

Btw Fred is not an 'attacking midfielder' and I don't think I'm being too pedantic in saying that.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'm not asking you to give two shits about the Brazil national. I don't either. I'm highlighting to you the nonsense of suggesting that any player in the Championship is at the same level as him.

Btw Fred is not an 'attacking midfielder' and I don't think I'm being too pedantic in saying that.
What would you call him, sort of an 8, occasionally a 6, but mostly just running around like a dog after a tennis ball?

Mr PG

Hannibal can do better what Fred is doing this season. Hannibal has the heart and stamina to press like Fred and still useful on the ball.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I kinda have to fall on the no side. Hes not shit, but hes inconsistent as feck. And we have far too many of those around. While not deadwood, as the old saying goes, too many inconsistencies in performances, IMO.

berbasloth4

Unless we are signing 4 centre midfielders or Zidane and savage are turning into scholes and butt over night unfortunately we have to give him a contract.

Behind casemiro Bruno and eriksen. He's our next best. His work rate is unreal but times are that hard we need him.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Whenever Fred touches the ball, the God flips a coin.
Whenever Fred's contract comes to an end, the board flips the plan. :lol:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We should probably come to terms with Fred returning to the club as a World Cup winner.

RedIan

£40 million waste of money, but no contract he walks away we get nothing. Id over him a 2 year deal and sell at the first oppurtunity,

Andersons Dietician

he's perfectly fine as a squad player.
This, he’s here, he’s not as bad as many make out. Use him for specific tasks or coming off the bench and he’s perfectly fine. It’s not like they’ll be paying him 250k a week.

Feck think back to the performance against Spurs. He chipped in with goals last season as well. Wasn’t so long ago he could have been our player of the year.

Absolutely no problem with giving him another contract especially if it’s just a 3 year job with a +1 it would be stupid not to give him a contract. If Hannibal and whomever else are better then they’ll take the spot. ETH doesn’t seem the type to suffer fools or hold on to players for sentimental value.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
£40 million waste of money, but no contract he walks away we get nothing. Id over him a 2 year deal and sell at the first oppurtunity,
We tried this a few times it doesn’t work out because why would he sign for us when he can go on a free and get massive wages ?

scottser

he plays a lot higher for brazil than he does at united. i don't think we've used him properly tbh.

Piabetic

It wouldn't be United's style to willingly let a players contract run down rather than it being driven by the player. They would have to be daft like Bailly though to be convinced to sign a new contract when they know they are a fringe player and not fancied by the manager.

Stacks

This, he’s here, he’s not as bad as many make out. Use him for specific tasks or coming off the bench and he’s perfectly fine. It’s not like they’ll be paying him 250k a week.

Feck think back to the performance against Spurs. He chipped in with goals last season as well. Wasn’t so long ago he could have been our player of the year.

Absolutely no problem with giving him another contract especially if it’s just a 3 year job with a +1 it would be stupid not to give him a contract. If Hannibal and whomever else are better then they’ll take the spot. ETH doesn’t seem the type to suffer fools or hold on to players for sentimental value.
he has one great performance in 7/8 games then the rest he reminds of us why we need new midfielders. Getting a contract at United is EASY nowadays

Andersons Dietician

he has one great performance in 7/8 games then the rest he reminds of us why we need new midfielders. Getting a contract at United is EASY nowadays
Thankfully in his time here he’s had more than one great performance, which is why he was mentioned as a POTY candidate.

Elcabron

My thoughts exactly.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes for me. Some people in this thread clearly have no concept of a squad.
No we have players who can squad fill. Him and VDB should be replaced with 2 other CMs one a starter and one a promising young player to fill the squad gap

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
he plays a lot higher for brazil than he does at united. i don't think we've used him properly tbh.
This excuse is being thrown away for every shit player we have. There was a game in EL where he was deployed higher up the pitch and he looked clueless.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
To me this looks like a clear case of what behavioral scientist Amy Edmondson would describe as psychological safety. In the national team Fred is able to be himself.

He feels valued, they joke around, their leaders Thiago Silva, Neymar, Alisson, Marquinhos all look like decent people. A tid diva Ney and Silva but overall generous and including. Language helps as well of course.

Now, you could go on and call him soft but he is far from the first case of a player or employee who performs wonders when the setting is right and underwhelms in another setting.

Hughes35

I don't know what's sadder.

1. We will offer him a new contract
2. It's the right thing to do because of our current quality level

Bertie Wooster

I'm pretty much always middle of the road on most issues, and I guess I am with this as well.

Fred's nothing special, but is a perfectly decent PL standard midfielder if used correctly. Same as the likes of Liverpool and City have got good performances out of some decent, but not special, players.

So if ETH feels he can use him in his system and get some good performances, then I'm happy enough to see him kept and save one less position we need to add in the summer. If, however, ETH feels there's better options available - which I'm sure there are - then I'll be happy enough to see another upgrade in the midfield.

It all depends on what, and how big of a, role ETH sees him playing, and if Fred is happy to stay with that should it be quite a limited, squad player role. Or if he'd prefer to look to be a starter elsewhere. Similar decisions to, say, keeping Lindelof / Maguire as 3rd / 4th choice CB's.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'd agree about moving VDB on unless ETH can bring something out of him. Fred is an excellent player and fully deserving of his place in the squad in my opinion.
Hes behind McTominay in the current pecking order… one of the 2 need replacing in my opinion

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So Jamie Jackson was completely wrong a month ago saying he would be released. I'm shocked.

stevoc

Makes sense best case scenario he leaves for a fee in the summer. Worst case he stays around for an extra year and is an option in midfield for Cup games or certain fixtures when an extra pair of legs are needed in midfield.