Should Garnacho be going to Qatar?

simplyared

I’d have him included in the Argentinian squad as a wild card definately.

Certainly not the strongest of Argentinian squads I’ve seen.

Looking at the stats I’d have him in before Di Maria (3 apps for Juve) and Nico Gonzalez (2 apps for Fiorentina).

They also look like they could need strengthening down the left side.

No brainer for me!

Or lets say why not?

MUFC OK

Mistake not taking him. At 18 there's almost no pressure on him and he's clearly fearless in addition to being an unknown quantity. If that goal against fulham was a week earlier I think he'd be on the plane.

Alejandro Gomez - 34 years old and with no goals in 17 games this season is going instead :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit late now isn't it geez

In all seriousness, he did make the final provisional squad. He's clearly very highly rated by the NT. It just came a little too early.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Actually I’d love to see him in WC. He is young, talent, fresh, fast and fearless, would make a good impact sub for sure.

Vapor trail

Rather not in the middle of the season where fatigue and injuries are likely to happen after the tournament. The world cup is not the most important campaign compared to the domestic season. In addition, if Garnacho goes and has a bad tournament how does that correlate to his form for United ?

sugar_kane

Genuinely thought for a moment he'd gone rogue and decided to go watch the World Cup instead of staying and training with the remaining United squad.

Terry Chango

We already have 14 players at the WC.

Therefore I’m ok with him staying at carrington and ETH getting to work on him.

RedIan

Is he still eligible for both Spain and Agentina? I know he's played for both at youth level.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If he had been more professional in summer then ETH wouldnt have held him back and hed probably be going so only has himself to blame but he has plenty of time for other WCs anyway

Okey

Great for us that he's not going. He's a kid who will have plenty time to rip up a forest of trees. This world cup probably came too early. Best he stays and works with the coaches.

Bertie Wooster

It's a tricky one.

I can definitely see the argument for the manager taking him as a 'wild card'. But then Eriksson still gets criticised for the Walcott decision to take him to a world cup at a young age (half for not playing him, half for taking him in the first place and putting too much pressure on his young career).

From a United point of view, it's probably 50-50 as well. It would have been a good learning experience for him. Especially if he'd got minutes on the pitch. But if he was unused, like Walcott, or barely used, then I'd prefer he stay with the United squad, work with ETH, and get good minutes in the friendlies working on his link ups with the likes of Martial and Sancho.

So, overall, probably glad he's stayed behind. Should he have been called up? I think that's a 50-50 call. Probably depends how much the Argentina manager felt he was ready to be used on such a big stage this early in his career in comparison to his other, more experienced, options.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No. Just think he needs to be out of the limelight for a little while or you could end up with a Macheda situation. He will then know he has to earn a place with the international side through hard work and performances. We don't want the lad thinking he is already made.

Adamsk7

Personally I am glad he isn’t going. He’s still really young and he’s got a lot of learning to do. I‘d rather him stay with Ten Hag and work on the things the manager wants him to improve on. He’ll probably never have this sort of opportunity again in the middle of a season so it’ll be a brilliant for him, especially since he’s already in a good spell and will be guaranteed to play our friendlies and probably the first game back.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
For him, probably yes.

For us, it's a double win he's not there - he's both available for the club to play him and stops him from getting even more exposure to the world and big clubs in particular before we can sign him on a longer deal.

stepic

he's barely broken through onto our bench. he'll go to the next one, as long as he continues to develop.

FriedClams

I thought it was weird Theo Walcott got taken to the World Cup at a young age and I don’t necessarily think it did him any favours as he never really had any type of consistency in his career (although one or two genuine 10/10 performances)

I think the more often Garnacho gets to train with/be around messi, that can only be a good thing. Argentina have a great chance of reaching at least the semis, and while I doubt he would have played much of a part in getting them there, just being part of that can only be a good thing. He had arguably the most momentum of any player in the world following his goal v Fulham, so could easily have carried that into a few substitute performances on the world stage.

It is interesting that he’s seemingly going to choose Argentina over Spain…his whole life has pretty much been in the latter.

Stadjer

No. Had he even played 90m of Premier League football when the preliminary squads were announced? Certainly would not take him over di Maria who is one of the most important players in that team.

If he had been more professional in summer then ETH wouldnt have held him back and hed probably be going so only has himself to blame but he has plenty of time for other WCs anyway
This. He broke into the Manchester United squad too late to have any chance to be selected.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Great that he is not. He will be hungry when the Fraud World Cup ends. Hopefully Portugal/Denmark get knocked out early.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
For the life of me I can't say why Argentina is one of the favourites for this cup.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes, not as a starter maybe but who better to bring on if chasing a game? the kid is electric.

If he can do it for United at PL level, he can do it at the WC.

HaliRed

For him, probably yes.

For us, it's a double win he's not there - he's both available for the club to play him and stops him from getting even more exposure to the world and big clubs in particular before we can sign him on a longer deal.
This was my first thought as well. Until he signs that contract, I don't want the parasites from Real Madrid and Barcelona seeing more of him!

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Should be but glad he’s not. We don’t wanna burn him out. We need him for the second part of the season. He’ll be getting a lot more training under him with Ten Hag so that will help him rather then being sat on argentinas bench.

Chairman Steve

It would be a waste of his time as he’ll be glued on the bench.

He‘d be well placed to be in the next World Cup though as they’ve got a lot of older heads in that Qatar squad who certainly won’t be around come 2026.

Ekeke

If there is any truth to the issues earlier in the season then I'd suggest its too much too soon and it would be better for him to concentrate on the rest of the season with United

simplyared

No. Had he even played 90m of Premier League football when the preliminary squads were announced? Certainly would not take him over di Maria who is one of the most important players in that team.

This. He broke into the Manchester United squad too late to have any chance to be selected.
Di Maria is 34! Injury prone and is struggling to get in the Juve team. Not renowned for having a strong personality so wouldn't see him as being as important as you make him out to be.

miked99

Definitely not. Too much, too soon. He's only just started playing first team football. Talents like this need to be nurtured carefully and steadily.

lex talionis

Doesn't Argentina have a history of not including outrageous young talent in World Cups? Maradona was left off the 1978 squad altogether and Messi barely featured in 2006, although I believe he scored a goal in a group stage match that turned out to be a rout.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No, he has done nothing to deserve a call up. Deary me, he hasn't even completed 90 mins of PL.

There is a reason why players like Otamendi is still starting over Licha. Scaloni values the team spirit and unity, more than anything. Point being, talent is only one of the factors in that team.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Di Maria is 34! Injury prone and is struggling to get in the Juve team. Not renowned for having a strong personality so wouldn't see him as being as important as you make him out to be.
Simply means, you haven't been following the Argentina National team for ages.

Stadjer

34 was old 10/15 years ago. Right now a lot of players still perform at 34. He had problems with injuries this season but if he is fit than he is still a very good player. Must be fit enough if he is included in the squad.

Not a strong personality? What is that even about? A fit Di Maria is an excellent player who also works very hard for his team/Messi. He scored the winner last Copa America final so di Maria has a bit more credit than a youth player from Manchester United who played a few good games.

IFC 1905

I’d have him included in the Argentinian squad as a wild card definately.

Certainly not the strongest of Argentinian squads I’ve seen.

Looking at the stats I’d have him in before Di Maria (3 apps for Juve) and Nico Gonzalez (2 apps for Fiorentina).

They also look like they could need strengthening down the left side.

No brainer for me!

Or lets say why not?
Thank God you're not our NT manager

Of course I would not bring him with 2 games played.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
By God 5 minutes ago he couldn't get a game for United now people are saying its a mistake to not have him at a world cup.

Let's leave it at the idea he is a good young player and let his evolution take its course.

I'm glad he's not going. He's a kid that's just overcome attitude problems. Last thing needed is him going to the world cup and a national pressure being put on him.

He has plenty of time